• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO GAF |OT2|: Building Dreams. Demolishing Wallets

mrkgoo

In other news, I never brought myself to buy aviation adventures. Even at 25% off it was something I couldn't justify purchasing.

Instead I found some 15 year old technics sets I had, cleaned off all the dust, and recreated the propellor mechanism. It was fun. I wondering I can build a plane out of it ....

rallaren

What's the saying, "better to leave and be missed than overstay ones welcome."

Q: I'm curious as to why they discontinue series and sets more rapidly now than they did in the past. It used to be that a series could be counted on for multiple years, now it's barely 12 months and they're "no longer produced." Is this marketing? Logistics? Or are trends really changing that fast in their market these days?

A: The toy business has become a very fast-paced and competitive world—almost mimicking the fashion industry in how quickly things come and go as fads. The life of a typical Lego play theme line can range anywhere from one to three years. However, there are certain themes—like Space and Castle—that we consider evergreen themes, and those are rotated in and out over the course of a few years. When a theme is a classic, we often maintain the theme, but rotate the new models on a shorter term to maintain novelty and interest in the market.

excerpt from here: http://lego.gizmodo.com/5019797/everything-you-always-wanted-to-know-about-lego
Thanks. I guess I should be thankful current sets are as good as they are. I like the online databases, communities and youtube videos still breathing life into all products of Lego.

Every so often I get the itch to pick up the Atlantis subtheme
Thinking about that right now myself.

>> Originally Posted by ghostmind
>>
>> Every so often I get the itch to pick up the Atlantis subtheme

Thinking about that right now myself.

I got most Atlantis on clearance right when I started collecting again and only have built the two larger sets. City of Atlantis and Portal of Atlantis. I like the look for City of Atlantis and imagined using the pillars for a Greek or Roman building. Build was so so. Nothing special. Portal of Atlantis had some really interesting building techniques and I enjoyed building it. I got most of the sets because they were cheap and for the sea creature minifigs. Don't really care for the human diver minifigs. My favorite is the shark head minifig. It's perfect except for the markings on the back of his head.

Atlantis theme has some cool aspects, but overall is not my thing. I only got them for parts, minifigs, and they were cheap.

neonglow

I went on a LEGO clearance shopping spree last night. I visited 3 different Target stores to get these sets. The best deal was the Umbaran MHC at 70% off for $15.

Museum Break-in $35
Daily Bugle Showdown $35
The Shellraiser Street Chase $30
Vermin Vaporizer $30
Hobbit Board Game $18
Umbaran MHC $15

I went on a LEGO clearance shopping spree last night. I visited 3 different Target stores to get these sets. The best deal was the Umbaran MHC at 70% off for $15.

Museum Break-in $35
Daily Bugle Showdown $35
Vermin Vaporizer $30
Hobbit Board Game $18
Umbaran MHC $15

Congrats! Nice haul. Envious of the Vermin Vaporizer. Only one I'm missing from first wave of Galaxy Squad, but I can't rationalize buying it unless I find it at 50% or more off.

Is it bad that I can tell which ones are 30% and 50% discount because I know the MSRP for all of them?

ghostmind

Museum Break-in $35
Daily Bugle Showdown $35
Vermin Vaporizer $30
Hobbit Board Game $18
Umbaran MHC $15

Nicely done! I'm hoping to score some similar deals myself this week.

Museum Break-in $35
Daily Bugle Showdown $35
Vermin Vaporizer $30
Hobbit Board Game $18
Umbaran MHC $15

DAT UMBARAN MHC PRICE! Seriously jealous of that price point.

And I forget, is that your first Galaxy Squad set? It is my mission to get as many people on here as possible to buy Galaxy Squad stuff.

Tomorrow I'm going back to the unofficial Lego store I mentioned last holidays. The idea is to treat myself to something really cool, as my vacation ends on Monday. If they don't have anything special, I'll probably get Pet Shop or Palace Cinema online instead.

neonglow

DAT UMBARAN MHC PRICE! Seriously jealous of that price point.

And I forget, is that your first Galaxy Squad set? It is my mission to get as many people on here as possible to buy Galaxy Squad stuff.

It's not my first set. I already have the entire first wave but couldn't say no to a 50% off set. I did see wave 2 in store and am tempted by the mech, but I'll wait for a sale or LEGO promotion.

It's not my first set. I already have the entire first wave but couldn't say no to a 50% off set. I did see wave 2 in store and am tempted by the mech, but I'll wait for a sale or LEGO promotion.

I almost grabbed a second Bug Obliterator when it was 50% off. Dat orange!

And obviously you liked Wave 1. Wave 2 is even better. The mech is fantastic, but Hive Crawler trumps them all in my mind. But I have pimped that set a lot on here, so that is not a surprise.

Tomorrow I'm going back to the unofficial Lego store I mentioned last holidays. The idea is to treat myself to something really cool, as my vacation ends on Monday. If they don't have anything special, I'll probably get Pet Shop or Palace Cinema online instead.

Pet Shop first. That is if you go for a modular instead.

I went to LEGO store this morning, no Back to the Future set. They said they expect it sometimes this week. The store clerk said, west coast stores often get stuffs later than the east coast. They still don't have Galactic Titan so I ended up with nothing to buy. I guess I will S@H for that Hot Dog cart.

I also hit every Target in my area this week but all the clearance items are gone with exception of some small Creator and Duplo sets.

neonglow

I went to LEGO store this morning, no Back to the Future set. They said they expect it sometimes this week. The store clerk said, west coast stores often get stuffs later than the east coast. They still don't have Galactic Titan so I ended up with nothing to buy. I guess I will S@H for that Hot Dog cart.

I also hit every Target in my area this week but all the clearance items are gone with exception of some small Creator and Duplo sets.

Are you sure the clearances are gone? It's the same general sets you see in my picture. Some stores don't mark them correctly so you need to scan it. That's how I got the UMC set for $15.

Ponn

Banned

Museum Break-in $35
Daily Bugle Showdown $35
Vermin Vaporizer $30
Hobbit Board Game $18
Umbaran MHC $15

Are these clearance sets good for all stores? People have been loving my Avengers scene at work but ever since I put the Spider Cycle together i've had several people asking for more spiderman so I was thinking of switching out the avengers for a spiderman scene. Gives me an excuse to pick up the Daily Bugle set for the figs.

Are these clearance sets good for all stores? People have been loving my Avengers scene at work but ever since I put the Spider Cycle together i've had several people asking for more spiderman so I was thinking of switching out the avengers for a spiderman scene. Gives me an excuse to pick up the Daily Bugle set for the figs.

Bugle set has JJJ, Nova, and Doom. It is worth it just for that.

neonglow

They are not. This year, Target is going the Walmart route where it's up to the manager. However most sets that get clearanced are the same. It's just the amount they're clearancing varies from store to store and when they actually go on clearance.

Ponn

Banned
Bugle set has JJJ, Nova, and Doom. It is worth it just for that.

Nova and Doom are the big draw for me. The problem with Nova is everytime I would look at him I would sigh and be sad there are not Guardians of the Galaxy to go with him. I mean, I would even take what i'm sure would be the Ultimate Spiderman versions minus Adam Warlock, Moondragon, Phyla, Bug, Mantis and Cosmo. Praying for that dream to come true with the GoTG movie. I may end up turning my Ent into a Groot.

They are not. This year, Target is going the Walmart route where it's up to the manager. However most sets that get clearanced are the same. It's just the amount they're clearancing varies from store to store and when they actually go on clearance.

Oh bugger me. Well I see a Daily Bugle set in stock at my local target, worth checking out on the way to work tomorrow and seeing.

Kryten

It's the school holidays here in NZ and the local/nationwide toy retailer held a Lego event this morning, so I took some time off work and surprised B & K with a visit (they were demanding to know why I'd made them wear one of their Lego Star Wars t-shirts this morning, but I kept it a surprise!).

Overall, probably not as cool as an actual Lego store event, but since we don't have those here we'll make do. There was a door prize entry, a build your own bunny (see pics), design your own minifig colouring competition as well as a "build a creation" competition, after which they were each given a poly bag (one was a City quad bike, the other a mini-speeder + Stormtrooper).

Kids are rapt, it cost me $8 for 2 blind minifig bags (paintballer and Roman Centurion) and they had a good time. Nice job, Lego and Toyworld.

braeden_bunny.jpg

bunnytrooper.jpg

Stormtrooper for scale.
lego_bunny.jpg

It's the school holidays here in NZ and the local/nationwide toy retailer held a Lego event this morning, so I took some time off work and surprised B & K with a visit (they were demanding to know why I'd made them wear one of their Lego Star Wars t-shirts this morning, but I kept it a surprise!).

Overall, probably not as cool as an actual Lego store event, but since we don't have those here we'll make do. There was a door prize entry, a build your own bunny (see pics), design your own minifig colouring competition as well as a "build a creation" competition, after which they were each given a poly bag (one was a City quad bike, the other a mini-speeder + Stormtrooper).

Kids are rapt, it cost me $8 for 2 blind minifig bags (paintballer and Roman Centurion) and they had a good time. Nice job, Lego and Toyworld.

bunnytrooper.jpg

Stormtrooper for scale.

Nice. LEGO has great build giveaways like this. Too bad I can't take my kids due to work. I think I should take one day off during their next summer break to do this at my local LEGO store. Or maybe try this August.

Interesting how LEGO gives away small samples of plastic, but want a lot more later and have to pay for it. This model of marketing seems strangely familiar.

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
Display Question. I bought a frame to try out for the minifigs. How are you guys displaying Medusa? This tail is going to be a bitch....

ruxtpin

Banned
Well. I didn't buy a house like some others here (tho I am jealous that I can't take that step just yet - well, I could - but it wouldn't make sense seeing as how the missus and I are going to move in a couple of years).

But I digress... The new rental house we've got for the next 24 months has a huge man-cave... I cannot wait...

I can build the Imperial Shuttle, the Tower Bridge, the Death Star... Everything in my backlog if I wanted!!!

Are you sure the clearances are gone? It's the same general sets you see in my picture. Some stores don't mark them correctly so you need to scan it. That's how I got the UMC set for $15.
Yeah, I scan everything that I think are on clearance but they still show up as regular prices. All the LoTR set are gone in my neck of the woods, I should check this week to see if they are putting the rest on clearance. I know each stores do them differently.

The Toys R Us locations in Canada do something similar. I got a mini version of a Star Wars ship a few weeks ago (the one with the guy who has a trans-blue arm-the name escapes me).

But I digress... The new rental house we've got for the next 24 months has a huge man-cave... I cannot wait...

I can build the Imperial Shuttle, the Tower Bridge, the Death Star... Everything in my backlog if I wanted!!!

Congrats on the new space! Build. Build and take pictures.

I've finally started playing with Brickset this week. I'm impressed with the inventory capabilities. I like how it tells you how many minifigs you own in addition to how many pieces.

I have to ask some of our more indulgent members (Jimbro/Bone/Ghostmind etc.): do you guys use Brickset, and if so what's your piece count at? I have to imagine some of you are at a couple hundred thousand.

Jimbro72

I've finally started playing with Brickset this week. I'm impressed with the inventory capabilities. I like how it tells you how many minifigs you own in addition to how many pieces.

I have to ask some of our more indulgent members (Jimbro/Bone/Ghostmind etc.): do you guys use Brickset, and if so what's your piece count at? I have to imagine some of you are at a couple hundred thousand.

I have not messed around on Brickset yet, though I really should, but I keep track of my collection on a spreadsheet which includes set name, set number, retail price and piece count and for the SW sets, the year the set was released. And according to my calculations, I am just over 103,000 pieces just from my SW sets alone. When you add in all my non-SW sets that I've bought in the past 6-7 months, that adds another approximately 51,000 pieces, many of those still part of my growing backlog of sets to open and build. I also don't ever buy multiples of any set, even when found at discount. Just one set of each for me, though if I ever found anything at 50% off, that would be very tempting to grab extras. Stuff just never hits that level of clearance in stores around me. Not that I see, anyway.

neonglow

Thanks Chuck for the info about stores getting the BTTF set early. I went in today and purchased 2 as well as the Fall Scene polybag they just got in.

ghostmind

The Toys R Us locations in Canada do something similar. I got a mini version of a Star Wars ship a few weeks ago (the one with the guy who has a trans-blue arm-the name escapes me).

Congrats on the new space! Build. Build and take pictures.

"Indulgent"... Lol that is one way to put it. I currently have 161,656 pieces in my collection.

Like Jimbro - no multiples but lots of backlog!

I expect to add a few thousand more this week, and ooh the Fall Scene is out! It never ends!

neonglow

Brickset says I have 175,139 pieces with 1,485 minifigures. My top 2 themes are City and Star Wars with over 200 minifigures in each. I also seem to have 45% of all Star Wars minifigures released.

mojiimbo

I'd call ahead at your local store so you don't waste a trip, but the Lego store here has all the Summer Technic/City/Friends sets for sale already. The Star Wars and apparently Chima sets aren't supposed to be put out until the 1st, though.

No sign of Technics 41999 yet. I wonder when they'll put it up on Shop at Home and how long it'll last.

I also apparently have 1,334 minifigs. I just need three more!

Brickset says I have 175,139 pieces with 1,485 minifigures. My top 2 themes are City and Star Wars with over 200 minifigures in each. I also seem to have 45% of all Star Wars minifigures released.

Both of you please take a photo with all of the minifigs. :D

My brickset inventory is sadly out of date. I'm scared that I may be in the minifig 4 digit club.

TripOpt55

Since Altlantis was mentioned, that was my re-introduction to Lego after a bit of a hiatus during college. Got City of Atlantis and Deep Sea Raider as a Christmas gift. Enjoyed them!

hmmblah

Finally found series 10 minifigs in stock near me!! I only had about 25 minutes so felt up what I could. Out of 14 bags I only got 2 doubles so pretty happy with that. Will probably go tonight to try to get the 4 I'm missing.

TYucSxh.jpg

Edit: I had a young kid watch me for a minute or two until he asked, "Sir, do you work here?" When I said no he gave me one the best "then what the fuck are you doing?" looks I've seen in a long time.

R-User!

Finally found series 10 minifigs in stock near me!! I only had about 25 minutes so felt up what I could. Out of 14 bags I only got 2 doubles so pretty happy with that. Will probably go tonight to try to get the 4 I'm missing.

TYucSxh.jpg

Edit: I had a young kid watch me for a minute or two until he asked, "Sir, do you work here?" When I said no he gave me one the best "then what the fuck are you doing?" looks I've seen in a long time.

Classic.

Thinking of selling most of my sets to get some cash for a upcoming move. What would you all suggest? I would like to move them quickly. I thought about craigslist but dealing with people on there has given me hassles in the past.

Nothing to old and mostly Star Wars sets and one modular. I could put a list here if anyone is interested in seeing what I have and a good price.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Thinking of selling most of my sets to get some cash for a upcoming move. What would you all suggest? I would like to move them quickly. I thought about craigslist but dealing with people on there has given me hassles in the past.

Nothing to old and mostly Star Wars sets and one modular. I could put a list here if anyone is interested in seeing what I have and a good price.

I was wondering this, too. Thinking about selling my collector's edition Batmobile to fund some more of the Winter Village sets.

Jimbro72

Just found out my cousin was able to come through for me with getting both the SW and the Hobbit SDCC sets as well as that carded Azog figure, too. Will post pics in the next week when they arrive here.

Top Bottom