• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO GAF |OT2|: Building Dreams. Demolishing Wallets

Bros, I'm thinking about a little craft project this weekend for mini-fig display and I was wondering if anyone has a glue to recommend? I have a vague memory of a childhood diarama made with superglue that did some gnarly shit to the LEGO plastic.

I've never used it for Lego, but if you want to permanently bond any two pieces of plastic together (including bricks or minifigs) you may want to look into MEK/methyl ethyl ketone/butanone. It's sold as a plastic adhesive in craft stores, despite not actually being glue but rather a solvent that melts and bonds plastic together. Since it melts plastic, don't use it if you were ever planning on getting the pieces back apart again. If you do want them to stay together forever though, it seems like it would be a good choice.

EDIT: Found this actually, seems MEK may be what professional Lego builders themselves use:

MEK
Methyl ethyl ketone - also known as Butanone. COSHH regulated solvent capable of bonding ABS elements together. I.E. - glue. Used by professional LEGO modelmakers at LEGOLAND to ensure that models do not come apart and endanger visitors.

Frostburn

Damn man, I'm up to 7 pieces missing from this Millennium Falcon. Never had that kind of issue with a LEGO set before.

I think unfortunately some pieces got lost after opening the set. Either that or there is a small bag with the same number on it or a larger bag that has a few huge pieces in it. LEGO weights the bags very precisely to ensure pieces aren't missing, that's why you sometimes get small extras.

Jimbro72

My vacation haul (pardon the photo quality):

4Tkpz1d.jpg

3315 Olivia's House
20215 MBA Level 4 - Invention Designer (this actually came from S@H while I was away)
41001 Mia's Magic Tricks
60021 Cargo Heliplane
60025 Grand Prix Truck
LEGO Batman: The Movie (w/ Clark Kent minifig)
The Yoda Chronicles book (w/Special Forces Commander minifig)
2 each of Stanley Deep Professional Organizer (1 shown)
2 each of Stanley Regular Professional Organizer (1 shown)
40078 Hot Dog Cart (not shown)

Nice haul there. I see several sets there that I will be needing to get at some point (still debating on a couple of those MBA sets). Yes, that also includes the Friends house, as despite my girls still being a few years way from being old enough to enjoy LEGO, I feel like I should pick up a few key Friends sets along the way before they retire and prices go up.

Damn man, I'm up to 7 pieces missing from this Millennium Falcon. Never had that kind of issue with a LEGO set before.

7? Holy crap, that's ridiculously high for one set unless you're missing an entire bag or something. I've been lucky that in all the sets I've put together over the past 15 yrs, I've had exactly 1 set that was missing a piece. Instead of a long gray piece of tubing, I got a an extra short piece included.

Hey!... ...Are you tryin' ta say that's my shtick? :)

P.S. LEGO GAF....... Did anyone like my Back to the Future pics? :(

:)

I did. I may not always comment to everyone's pics but I enjoy it when anyone posts pics of their stuff. Something I need to try to do more of myself.

I'm going, and I'll let everyone know how it went tomorrow night or sometime over the weekend. Also, the B&N store near me had a sign up list, and 2 of the days were already full, and so actually now that I think of it I might be scheduled for Sunday... I'll check tomorrow.

Cool. I hope you're able to get in one of them so you can let us know how it went. You considering picking up one of the sets, too, or just attending the event only?

Since my MOC skills are... rudimentary, MOD'ing off an existing set would be preferable.

So possibly more Friends sets in my future! Keeping my eyes peeled for the rumored set lists for 2014.

Gotta practice, practice, practice. I think you have built enough sets to have picked up on some good techniques to use. Just gotta try and duplicate them on your own without reference. Unless the problem is thinking of things to make and not the techniques themselves.

Either way, I would love to see some MOCs and MODs by you.

hmmblah

So went back to walmart to feel out the last 4 figures I needed for series 10. There were probably 100 or so on the shelf. I brought a couple friends with so it would go faster.

About halfway through we started getting surrounded by employees. They were all facing shelves near us so they could watch what we were doing without being too obvious. Finally, one of the employees approached us and asked what we were doing.

After explaining collecting and picking out the right figures etc, he asked that if we found any open packages to please leave them aside so he could get them off the shelf. He said they have a lot of issues with kids opening the packages and stealing parts.

Finally getting through all of the figures, I was only able to get 2 of the 4 I was missing. I still needed the bee girl and librarian. I was a little disappointed to say the least. A friend had dropped one of the minifigs behind some boxes on the shelf when we first started so I reached in the back to pick it up. Instead of one bag there were two and one of them happened to be the bee girl! I was a little happier, but still missing the damn librarian.

I had a few more things to grab, including the rancor pit, then we decided to scope out the clearance section. All the while we had employees following us around the store.

I saw the Quinjet in the clearance section so was excited for a moment until I saw it was only marked down to $70. One of the friends I was with said he had that set and doesn't want it. He found it for an incredible deal of $35 and said I could have it for that. I'd snatch that up as soon as we got back to his place. Score!

Rancor pit and 3 minifigs in hand, we headed to the checkout. The same employees followed us right to it and asked if we found everything we needed. We checked out and were followed to the exit. Not sure wtf their problem was, but it's bad enough I was a 30 year old picking through minifigs (that were in the barbie aisle btw) and was also suspected of stealing. I guess bag feeling is a suspicious activity.

How rare is the librarian? Anyone have one they are willing to trade? I have extras from different series if anyone is interested.

Jimbro72

Just signed up for the BN event. Looks like 20 or so others are signed up. Will be nice to meet other lego fans.

It will be interesting to see how many of them are there because they are LEGO fans and how many of them are there more for the architecture side of it and not so much into LEGO themselves. I look forward to hearing your impressions of it, though.

ghostmind

8573365793_98966d1be7_o.jpg

well it is one of the rarer ones, I'm still somewhat upset with the distribution.
Someone at LEGO must be really sadistic giving us 6 mechanics and 6 skydivers instead of increasing the frequency of unquestionably more interesting minfigs.

My case distribution was the same as WhiteFang's:

Yrj1tWI.jpg

So many skydivers...

ghostmind

Brickset posted the second part of their review of Constitution Train Chase.

Many points that they bring up, I completely agree with. But I have to say I am in complete disagreement with this part:

Sorry, Brickset. But Silver Mine Shootout shames this set for both the build and price point. Stagecoach Escape as well. That set packed so much cool stuff and looks so great for being a $30 set. Constitution Train Chase is a very, very solid set though. You get exactly what you pay for with it. Nothing more, nothing less. Whereas I can buy both Silver Mine Shootout AND Stagecoach Escape for the price of the train (at MSRP that is), and get so much more out of it.

But that is just my opinion.

This is how I rated them back in April, when I built all the Lone Ranger sets over a 2-day span:

1. Silver Mine Shootout - no contest, this is the best set in the theme.

2. Stagecoach Escape - a great value, a great build and a great looking set.

3. Colby City Showdown - narrowly edges out the next in this list. I really enjoyed putting this together, which surprised me.

4. Constitution Train Chase - you get a LOT in this set. All the train cars are well-designed and varied.

5. Cavalry Builder Set - the best value in this theme. I'm thinking of getting another one to double my soldiers. It would have been great to get a Fort Legoredo for the troops though.

6. Comanche Camp - it's still a great set, but compared to the rest of this stellar theme, this one falls a bit short. I wish the teepee was canvas instead of semi-rigid plastic.

With time to reflect, I might switch the Constitution Train with Colby City, but that still leaves it at #3, behind the Stagecoach and the Silver Mine.

The Constitution Train may be a Marcos Bessa set, and it is a great licensed-theme set on its own, but it is not better than the Silver Mine Shootout. I think that the Mine is one of those sets that has to be built to be fully appreciated - the box art and feature lists only tell part of the story.

rallaren

Uh oh. A piece is missing after all upside down tumbling. Might be outside. Nice. It's there on the picture I posted earlier in the thread.
4x4 roof said:
Edit: Lost and found. I did NOT expect that to happen.

It will be interesting to see how many of them are there because they are LEGO fans and how many of them are there more for the architecture side of it and not so much into LEGO themselves. I look forward to hearing your impressions of it, though.

Well, hopefully I get to go tonight. I was going to take my car in today to get the oil changed and the speedometer fixed (since it thinks I am always going 10mph or less). But when I was trying to leave BN after signing up, the key wouldn't even turn. After about thirty minutes I finally got it going and immediately went to the mechanic. Now waiting at home to see just how horrible the repairs will be.

Jimbro72

Well, hopefully I get to go tonight. I was going to take my car in today to get the oil changed and the speedometer fixed (since it thinks I am always going 10mph or less). But when I was trying to leave BN after signing up, the key wouldn't even turn. After about thirty minutes I finally got it going and immediately went to the mechanic. Now waiting at home to see just how horrible the repairs will be.

Damn, that sucks. Hopefully it's nothing serious and is just an easy, cheap repair for you. That would certainly be an unfortunate reason to have to miss that event tonight. Hope it all works out for you.

R-User!

Now that Amazon has a listed release date for LEGO Marvel Superheroes of Oct 22, we can expect any preorder promotions to have a much higher chance I dropping into stores over the next days/weeks, so keep an eye out at your local Target stores; my local stores actually have had a place holder peg hook display with the LMSH $1.00 preorder tag for about three weeks to a month, so if I see anything in my stores I'll let you all know!

Check this out on AMZN: LEGO: Marvel http://amzn.com/B00B98HBTA

R-User!

I you end up making it to the event, my gut tells me that you'll buy the Architect set....

Call it a hunch... ;)

I you end up making it to the event, my gut tells me that you'll buy the Architect set....

Call it a hunch... ;)

Nope. Wont be buying it. Not yet at least. The price is too nuts for the piece count, especially since it is all white. There are things in it that I want, but nothing that is screaming out to me.

Besides, that $150 could nab me Arkham Asylum. And I am trying (key word is "trying") to not get anything too big before September 1st when Ewok Village and Sydney Opera House launch. I dont think I can wait a month for double VIP with those.

We are having a pool installed in our back yard over the next couple of weeks. Part of the preparations for this involved ripping out our old deck. I discovered two things under the deck:

1) A completely intact, creepy-ass dead raccoon skeleton

2) These:

I'm not going to lie. I'll totally clean up that 1x4 green brick and drop it into the collection.

rallaren

We are having a pool installed in our back yard over the next couple of weeks. Part of the preparations for this involved ripping out our old deck. I discovered two things under the deck:

2) These:

I'm not going to lie. I'll totally clean up that 1x4 green brick and drop it into the collection.
That's what I call a treasure.

My case distribution was the same as WhiteFang's:

So many skydivers...

The new 30 count box is killing the distribution. I hope that failed and they can now do odd number quantities.

Not even sure why they can't make the distribution different for the 30 count box so they can have odd numbers. Going from 3 to 2 for the "better" minifigs is a 33.3% reduction in availability.

Fingers crossed for next series distribution. Next White Fang CMF review should be up in a few weeks as he gets an early box usually.

2) These:

Those bricks have seen some serious shit.

Ponn

Banned

2) These:

So. Wheres the pic of creepy raccoon skeleton. *notcreepyatall*

2) These:

I think the raccoon stepped on the LEGO bricks which led to it's demise.

Does anyone need baseplates? Best Buy has LEGO Minotaurus Bundle for $12. This is a great deal for a 32x32 baseplate, 200 bricks and LEGO Battles DS game.

BTW, thanks for notifying us of this. I stopped by Best Buy and snagged one. Only took fifteen minutes to find where it was hiding. Why would this be with the PS3 stuff? LOL. Almost grabbed the Ninjago Brickmaster set for $10, but didn't.

Okay. Off to the Architecture event. Reading impressions on Toys N Bricks does not make it sound too great, but not bad either. Some posters said it was more kids than adults, so they had to adjust the event accordingly, and that at their store it was a bit underprepared.

See you all in a bit. I know there are no other CT GAFfers here, but if you see me, I am the one wearing the tshirt of my namesake.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Got the Delorean. It's a nice set, but in the end it feels very underwhelming. They made it as small as possible. This is a set that will appeal to collectors, and it's a shame they didn't go bigger with it and really make it minifig scale. As it is, you can't properly put two figures in it. A bigger set would have also let them make the hood nicer. The printed pieces are nice though, as is being able to do the car from all 3 films.

Okay. Off to the Architecture event. Reading impressions on Toys N Bricks does not make it sound too great, but not bad either. Some posters said it was more kids than adults, so they had to adjust the event accordingly, and that at their store it was a bit underprepared.

See you all in a bit. I know there are no other CT GAFfers here, but if you see me, I am the one wearing the tshirt of my namesake.

Brick Blogger just posted a review.

The Brick Blogger review of Architecture Studio set

Vyer

I think unfortunately some pieces got lost after opening the set. Either that or there is a small bag with the same number on it or a larger bag that has a few huge pieces in it. LEGO weights the bags very precisely to ensure pieces aren't missing, that's why you sometimes get small extras.

Well, that was my initial thought as my son and wife did the first set of bags. But the others I did myself and opened each and found yet another missing piece when working on the '5' bags. I only have the bag marked '6' left to go.

R-User!

The Architecture event was fun, and I was one of three that were awarded a gift card for building according to the design goal. The set would be fun for those that want to free-form build or those that need a diverse selection of white pieces. I'm going to buy the set because of the book! I got to he the book and it was about 7-8" x 7-8" square (or slightly rectangular), and for design inspiration and many color pictures I think that it will help budding MOCers during their "rookie" stages (thinking of you ghostmind; and me).

Might buy tonight or over the weekend... But I might wait for 20%off single item coupon.

R-User!

Toys R Us is having a free LEGO Chima building event tomorrow. Kids will be able to build and keep a Speedorz Challenge set.

Yeah, I saw the large poster, and it looks like slightly less than 40 pieces, but 4 Tan Curved 1x3x3? Bricks!

We will definitely participate!

The Architecture event was fun, and I was one of three that were awarded a gift card for building according to the design goal. The set would be fun for those that want to free-form build or those that need a diverse selection of white pieces. I'm going to buy the set because of the book! I got to he the book and it was about 7-8" x 7-8" square (or slightly rectangular), and for design inspiration and many color pictures I think that it will help budding MOCers during their "rookie" stages (thinking of you ghostmind).

Might buy tonight or over the weekend... But I might wait for 20%off single item coupon.

Event at my store was fun too. It was about twenty or so kids, and about three adults including myself. The architect that gave a talk at the beginning was nice. This was the creation he made the night before:

ILLEGAL CONNECTION!

This is what I made with what was thrown in front of me. Knocked this out in about half an hour or so.

Just started tossing down pieces on the baseplate and made it up as I went. I got to the second tier and thought of making it a colosseum or something, but once the bag with the curved bow pieces and SNOT came onto the table, I decided to make it a temple.

So, I finished that really fast, and everyone else was still plowing away at random things. Some good stuff from the kids. But then I decided I needed to build something else to pass the time.

OH, NOES! It's a giant killer Robbit!
JUMP AND GO!

Here are some of the things some other people made that I really liked:

This 8 year old kid made that. Was really cool.

Kid at my table made that. I felt odd at the end, because early in the build I asked him what it was. He wasn't sure, and I commented that at that stage it looked like a prison with a watchtower. OOOPS.

Anyways, when it was done, the BN employee said we could keep what we built! She said she wasn't sure if that was LEGO's rule, but she wanted us to keep the stuff. If I knew that at the beginning, I would have built something bigger.
I was also tempted to build a box and dump everything in it. Tell people I made a landfill. But I only took what I built. Leave the stuff for the kids.

I did not get to look at the book from the set itself, but some excerpts LEGO sent for examples. Some really neat stuff in it, and makes it a mighty tempting set. I will wait for a good coupon like you, R-User. This set is nice, but not $150 nice.

ghostmind

Anyways, when it was done, the BN employee said we could keep what we built! She said she wasn't sure if that was LEGO's rule, but she wanted us to keep the stuff. If I knew that at the beginning, I would have built something bigger.
I was also tempted to build a box and dump everything in it. Tell people I made a landfill.

LOL - that would have been hilarious.

Glad to hear the event went well for you (and R-User). It sounds like the instructions from LEGO on running the event were rather vague, so glad you all got the "good" ones.

I'm not going to bother with this set though - put the $150 towards the Opera House as my new "parts pack".

R-User!

Would you have bought the set for 118.50? That's what I could pay to get it tonight.

150-10%=135
-10%=121.50
-$12 gift card =109.50
X1.0825% Sales Tax =

Grand Total 118.50.

Would you buy it for that price Phonciple Bone?

Edit: I think I'll let the excitement wear off and wait for the inevitable 20%off one item coupon and make it come out to be 103.92 out the door (saving 14 more bucks!)

Real talk: Apparently pacific rim's merchandise has been selling surprisingly well. If this trend continues and the film winds up with a sequel we need all kinds of PR LEGOs.

Would you have bought the set for 118.50? That's what I could pay to get it tonight.

150-10%=135
-10%=121.50
-$12 gift card =109.50
X1.0825% Sales Tax =

Grand Total 118.50.

Would you buy it for that price Phonciple Bone?

Edit: I think I'll let the excitement wear off and wait for the inevitable 20%off one item coupon and make it come out to be 103.92 out the door (saving 14 more bucks!)
Wait for a better coupon. The set is really a glorified parts pack, and many of the pieces are easily gotten from a PAB wall, but there are some that are not and would be nice to get in bulk.
I really want to look at the full book though, as the excerpts they had showed some VERY cool techniques I never thought of.

As for the price, I might get it eventually if the discount is steep. For the same MSRP, I could get another Pet Shop or Grand Emporium and have a wider variety of pieces for a parts pack. But the money for this is going towards Ewok Village and Sydney Opera House. I have a VERY good feeling about the Opera House. It looks both fun and very challenging.
I also think the Ewok Village will surprise many people, as I expect some really neat techniques and hidden gems, but that is coming from my surprise from Quinjet (another Marcos Bessa set).

On a different note, the few adults there made some okay stuff, but had obviously not done much MOCing themselves. Pretty standard techniques for much of the work. The kids were the ones going for the crazy techniques that looked very cool when done.
The one kid next to me was probably 13 or so, and seemed slightly autistic with how he was talking to his mother and with the rest of us. The look of his building was very cool and had a neat texture to it. He was using stuff in radically different ways compared to the adults and other kids at my table. And the name he had for this piece:
4210635.jpg

Elbow piece.
I had always called it a corner, but elbow is a perfect name for it and there is really nothing else you could mistake it for. Think I will be stealing that. The names the two older ladies had for pieces confused me half the time, but that kid had the simplest and best descriptions for pieces when he was looking for them.

The kids and adults at my table were fun. We would say what kinda piece we were looking for, and people would find them and spread them around. But it did feel weird that I was the only person excited about the SNOT pieces (I never used the term, don't worry) and the curved bow pieces. The older ladies at table saw me snatching up most of them and said they never had any clue what to use them for when they build. My gain.

Jimbro72

The Architecture event was fun, and I was one of three that were awarded a gift card for building according to the design goal. The set would be fun for those that want to free-form build or those that need a diverse selection of white pieces. I'm going to buy the set because of the book! I got to he the book and it was about 7-8" x 7-8" square (or slightly rectangular), and for design inspiration and many color pictures I think that it will help budding MOCers during their "rookie" stages (thinking of you ghostmind; and me).

Event at my store was fun too. It was about twenty or so kids, and about three adults including myself.

I was also tempted to build a box and dump everything in it. Tell people I made a landfill. But I only took what I built. Leave the stuff for the kids.

I did not get to look at the book from the set itself, but some excerpts LEGO sent for examples. Some really neat stuff in it, and makes it a mighty tempting set. I will wait for a good coupon like you, R-User. This set is nice, but not $150 nice.

Thanks for the info, you two, on how it went. I gotta say, I'm a bit surprised to hear it was predominately younger kids with only a few adults considering it was being advertised with the heavy emphasis on the architecture side of things. I would have thought more adults and college aged kids who are studying the field with some younger children mixed in. Still, pretty cool to hear one of you got a gift card and the other got to walk away with a bunch of free bricks. Gotta like free stuff.

ghostmind

Canadians - Chapters Indigo online has the summer sets (Star Wars, Chima, City, Friends) available now, and you can use a one-item coupon (code GETONEFOR25OFF) to get 25% off, as well as free shipping on orders over $25.

Some sets are starting to sell out quickly though.

Canadians - Chapters Indigo online has the summer sets (Star Wars, Chima, City, Friends) available now, and you can use a one-item coupon (code GETONEFOR25OFF) to get 25% off, as well as free shipping on orders over $25.

Some sets are starting to sell out quickly though.

Canadians, you should get Dolphin Cruiser!

BTW, thanks for notifying us of this. I stopped by Best Buy and snagged one. Only took fifteen minutes to find where it was hiding. Why would this be with the PS3 stuff? LOL. Almost grabbed the Ninjago Brickmaster set for $10, but didn't.

I feel bad cuz I was in Best Buy two days ago and totally forgot about this since I was there to help my girlfriend find some laptop gear >_<

Top Bottom