• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO GAF |OT2|: Building Dreams. Demolishing Wallets

I went to a garage sale and picked up a 8043-1 Motorized Excavator for about $40. It's mostly complete except for a few bush pieces that have fallen off, it even had the extra parts, mostly unused sticker set, all manuals and the box (slightly beaten).

I've tried it out and it works well. Now to think about if I want to sell it on or if I want to use the power functions in something. Remote control is something pretty cool that I haven't dabbled in before.

rallaren

I went to a garage sale and picked up a 8043-1 Motorized Excavator for about $40. It's mostly complete except for a few bush pieces that have fallen off, it even had the extra parts, mostly unused sticker set, all manuals and the box (slightly beaten).

I've tried it out and it works well. Now to think about if I want to sell it on or if I want to use the power functions in something. Remote control is something pretty cool that I haven't dabbled in before.
Seems like a cool set. From 'manual -> power functions -> remote control' is like magic.

Psykotik

haven't been playing lego since i was a kid but now with a kid of my own, i've been slowly buying a bunch of lego city sets for him. mostly the firemen and police sets. got the fire and police station sets for his birthday yesterday (he just turned 5). before that it was mostly smaller stuff, like the car and trucks etc.

TFs.jpg

UFs.jpg

but tonight, i decided to pick a set up for myself and got the lego petshop. hoping to get more sets in the series to build up a nice city block.

will be building the petshop tomorrow with my wife. i got her to build the policestation for my son and she enjoyed it so much (it was her first real build), she said she wanted more. hence the petshop.

VFs.jpg

i love the look of this series. so many details.

haven't been playing lego since i was a kid but now with a kid of my own, i've been slowly buying a bunch of lego city sets for him. mostly the firemen and police sets. got the fire and police station sets for his birthday yesterday (he just turned 5). before that it was mostly smaller stuff, like the car and trucks etc.

TFs.jpg

UFs.jpg

but tonight, i decided to pick a set up for myself and got the lego petshop. hoping to get more sets in the series to build up a nice city block.

will be building the petshop tomorrow with my wife. i got her to build the policestation for my son and she enjoyed it so much (it was her first real build), she said she wanted more. hence the petshop.

VFs.jpg

i love the look of this series. so many details.

Pet Shop is a great team build. You each get a building. :)

nny

Since I'm not very fond of the newer city vehicles (Go four-stud-wide vehicles!), I got me some older sets. Another reason I like getting older sets is that those are the ones whose photos I spent countless hours staring at when I was little.

ghostmind

No new LEGO news at Star Wars Celebration Europe, but the new Rebels series will debut in Fall 2014, so I would expect to see LEGO sets then, or in early 2015.

R-User!

If you haven't posted in this thread before then "Welcome, to the LEGO world!" /Morpheus

If you have posted before, then "Enjoy your stay!"............. mwuhuhahahahah!

---

Your post reminded me that I had been meaning to share a link to a book that I bought for my son at Target with a price match to Amazon last week. I had no idea this book was coming (at least I didn't remember if anyone here had shared it), but when I saw it on the shelf I skimmed through it, and I was basically instantly sold for me and my son and wife. Mainly because of the many instructions for the builds in the book.

Check this out on AMZN: Brick City: Global Icons to Make from LEGO http://amzn.com/1438002491

I haven't given it to him yet, but when i do, I will post a follow-up review.

Since I'm not very fond of the newer city vehicles (Go four-stud-wide vehicles!), I got me some older sets. Another reason I like getting older sets is that those are the ones whose photos I spent countless hours staring at when I was little.

I remember that first set...my mom told me she saw it in a Tuesday Morning once and I begged her to get it but since I didn't have any money as a kid, it was a short conversation lol. I also much prefer the older style of cars...or even just the older style of builds so I enjoy seeing pictures of the older sets.

Oh man! I had that race set! I loved it! I'd spend hours as a kid just marveling at the pipe pieces that came with it <3

shadow29

Neo Member
I love the older race cars. I had 6335-7 when I was younger. I loved how it came with different numbered racers. Plus I had a puzzle they came out with that had a race track. So much fun.

The new Grand Prix racer for city kinda feels like an advanced version of those old racers. Was a nice build but a few too many stickers. The old ones were all print (well it was just one piece).

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
At another target looking for clearance items. They have the Lone Ranger train but it is still retail so I will hold off until later in the week. I can get it off the Internet cheaper and I'm going to Baltimore and DC this week so waiting might be worth it. Bonus though is they have 4 of the captain America sets for 11 bucks. Picked up 1 because I didn't have it and it is oop.

Marko723

Neo Member
Snagged the 70709 LEGO Galaxy Squad Galactic Titan under this deal.

Canadians - Chapters Indigo online has the summer sets (Star Wars, Chima, City, Friends) available now, and you can use a one-item coupon (code GETONEFOR25OFF) to get 25% off, as well as free shipping on orders over $25.

Some sets are starting to sell out quickly though.

dewdrop

Banned
Swung by LEGO store at the mall while running other errands, looked like all the August sets were stocked (least the ones on my radar). Picked up Orthanc because I am weak and Gorzan Gorilla Striker because it has a fucking banana gattling gun.

New Old Republic set comin' my way on next bughet cycle.

Well, no one took me up on the BN coupon for BOGO 50% off, so I used it tonight. Did a special order for Creator Aviation Adventure and Gorzan's Gorilla mech. Total before tax: $85 for the pair. Should arrive next week.

Now I am back to what to order with the BTTF set. Might just drive to the LEGO store or pay shipping at this point since most sets I want I keep finding closer and for cheaper.

EDIT: LAME. Just got an email this morning saying they can't deliver the sets because they dont have them. Guess I will have to go back to the store and try again.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Has anyone else found that by building LEGO sets, doing models, etc that they actually ENJOY putting together furniture and such? I'm finally getting my office put together in our new home, and we bought $500 worth of IKEA bookshelves and tables and such. I thoroughly enjoyed assembling these things. Like, I wanted to put MORE stuff together.

rallaren

TFs.jpg

This is making me want to go nuts with City and Super Heroes again. I don't have the space (/room) I want for it.

RichardAM

Kwanzaagator
Amazon UK have just put up their preorders for the Marvel game. Weren't sure if we were getting the Iron Patriot poly or not, but he's included too thankfully!

Just bought one for the PS3 :)

nny

Has anyone else found that by building LEGO sets, doing models, etc that they actually ENJOY putting together furniture and such? I'm finally getting my office put together in our new home, and we bought $500 worth of IKEA bookshelves and tables and such. I thoroughly enjoyed assembling these things. Like, I wanted to put MORE stuff together.

Definitely, I love to put furniture together. Now I don't know if that is because I like LEGO or if I'm simply predisposed to enjoying putting stuff together (be it LEGO, models or furniture).

When I was a kid, whenever we got a new vacuum or something else that needed assembly, I was the one to do it. Of course I was also prone to taking a screwdriver to anything and taking it apart BUT I always put it back together.

My wife wasn't happy with the me mixing the chair legs, cabinets, and table legs. I also stacked some cabinets, but they wouldn't clutch well and kept falling apart.

I think building LEGO and putting furniture together are two separate enjoyments. It was a feeling of manlyhood putting the furniture together. The LEGO playing is the kid and creative side enjoyment in you.

In one of the Agents sets there's a villain with golden teeth, gun and hair. Such a tempting theme.

This was well before I started collecting LEGO again. I managed to buy a bunch of the LEGO minifigs in the aftermarket for reasonable prices though.

What's teh story behind this? I google it and I get a monster truck.

Lego Technic hold a design competition every year (I think) and collaborate with the winner to make a limited run. This current one is a body mod to the 9398 Crawler. It is super grouse. I think there are 20,000 being made.

mrkgoo

Lego Technic hold a design competition every year (I think) and collaborate with the winner to make a limited run. This current one is a body mod to the 9398 Crawler. It is super grouse. I think there are 20,000 being made.

Wow, cool, thanks.

So what is everyone's all time favourite Lego model? Doesn't have to be big or epic, just something you love.

I don't even have it, but I was just staring at my brother's AT-ST UCS. It was a model I always tried to build out of the meagre collection I had when I was younger, and seeing it realised officially was kind of special.

The original Star Destroyer is cool too, but I've never seen one in person.

3cy6lGH.jpg

This is my alltime favorite set, it's such a sleek looking design, great swooshability and a great color scheme. It's not my favorite theme mind you (Actually that would be Ice Planet) but both Blacktron themes had great colors...though I give the slight nod to Blacktron 1 because...black and yellow is a menacing combo.

3cy6lGH.jpg

This is my alltime favorite set, it's such a sleek looking design, great swooshability and a great color scheme. It's not my favorite theme mind you (Actually that would be Ice Planet) but both Blacktron themes had great colors...though I give the slight nod to Blacktron 1 because...black and yellow is a menacing combo.
And Blacktron 1 had the greatest mini figure ever too.

EDIT: Oh, and the fire piece does fit...
BQTmVnhCUAEG7_T.jpg

Jimbro72

Wow, cool, thanks.

So what is everyone's all time favourite Lego model? Doesn't have to be big or epic, just something you love.

I don't even have it, but I was just staring at my brother's AT-ST UCS. It was a model I always tried to build out of the meagre collection I had when I was younger, and seeing it realised officially was kind of special.

The original Star Destroyer is cool too, but I've never seen one in person.

Hmmm, favorite model? That is tough. As a kid, it would probably have been the yellow castle set or either the classic space Galaxy Explorer or Beta I Command Base. Sadly, I have none of my childhood LEGO anymore. Current favorites would be any of several of the UCS SW sets, with the Falcon, ISD or Imp. Shuttle leading the way, I suppose.

I never had any of that Blacktron stuff. That all came out during my dark ages, so I feel like I missed out on some good stuff back then.

Also, just wrapped up putting together the Grand Emporium. The fourth modular set I've put together now. Build wise, it falls behind the Pet Shop and Fire Brigade but it definitely has some cool sections to it. Unfortunately, it also has a few areas that are also very slow to work through and monotonous. The second and third floors in particular. But finished model/display wise, it's one of the better ones, I think. It's very impressive looking when it's done. I'll have to take a pic tomorrow once I've moved it downstairs and added it with the other three on the shelf.

Favorite set ever has to be Message Intercept Base.

6987-1.jpg

You get a crater plate, a regular plate, and tons of custom windows. And the way the base opens is just awesome. To top it off, you get 5 of the Blacktron figures.

And thinking about how the BttF set does not fit on traditional train tracks, what if you laid a bunch of these down on the outside of the tracks?
4638990.jpg

That would make the rails 8 studs wide for the car, but keep the center rails 6 wide for a train. I dont have the BttF set yet to test it, but someone else might try it.

ghostmind

Sorry mickcenary, I don't have any info on AUS LEGO sales.

I know that usually when I order from S@H in the USA and go with standard shipping, it takes them a few days to process the order and about a week to receive it.

ghostmind

I am at the end of my rope with the Star Wars Planets Series 4 release. They've been out in Europe for 6 months now, and not a word regarding a North America release. I've got my finger hovering over an overseas order right now, because I am sick of waiting for LEGO to remember that they haven't released these sets here yet.

Does anyone have the heads-up on a NorthAm release?

ghostmind

Rumor time, courtesy of Empire911 on Eurobricks:

On the LEGO Star Wars lecture yesterday on Star Wars Celebration in Essen they said that there will be a whole new Original Trilogy series. They said: "If you like the new UCS Ewok Village, you will be very excited to see the new collection."

Apparently pictures could be made available in the next couple weeks.

Top Bottom