• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO GAF |OT2|: Building Dreams. Demolishing Wallets

ghostmind

XMWtT54.png

Welcome, young LEGO-GAF'ers, I have been expecting you.

So, the BttF set is totally absent from the AU store; I swear I saw it there the other day, ridiculous 70AUD price tag and all.

What gives?

VIP members will be able to pick up the Sydney Opera House during an exclusive early release starting August 16th.

Urgh. Two days after my vacation ends. Praying I get enough birthday money to pay off most of it. I will be weak and buy it. No waiting for double VIP for me.

And thinking that will be my final set for the year. I want Ewok Village so much, and new Winter set and some random stuff, but with the potential move coming early next year and my wife stressing about school expenses, I want to put all my money towards that stuff.
I know I will be weak and get a set here and there, but I only have it in me for one more huge set this year, and the Opera House is calling.

Hi all, I’ve been reading this thread for a long time but only recently got approved to post.

Hey Phonciple, I went to the Lego store over the weekend and checked the PAB wall for you. They didn’t have any gray 2x2 tiles that you wanted, or any 2x2 tiles for that matter. Sorry.

A note to all, this is the best singular Lego thread that I’ve ever had the pleasure to read. Lots of great info and insight…just plain awesome.

Hello Everyone!]

Anyong!

Welcome. And thank you for the kind words. This thread is full of wonderful and helpful people. Sure, many of us are horrible enablers and not good at stopping people from spending their money, but it is done out of love.
It is also nice because it is one of the more level headed LEGO discussions online compared to many other forums. I am sure if the numbers grew, it might change.

But welcome, enjoy the fun. And thank you for checking the PAB wall for me.

ghostmind

I did finish up the Grand Emporium this weekend and got it added to the new modular shelf I've made room for. Only room for one more on that shelf, though, which will be the Palace Cinema, once that is bought. For now, here is how I have them displayed. Disregard the several knocked over minifigs. They'll be put upright tomorrow once my hot dog cart arrives in the mail from S@H and can be added to the display.

Kudos for breaking up the Pet Shop - it adds so many more possibilities when one is willing to do so. I'm hoping that we get another multi-building modular someday.

Kudos for breaking up the Pet Shop - it adds so many more possibilities when one is willing to do so. I'm hoping that we get another multi-building modular someday.

Dual restaurant next year! But of course, that does limit the seating area. Unless they do a bakery for one and a regular restaurant for the other.

I too look forward to another split modular.

ghostmind

The more I look back on the Titan, the less I like it as well. A really cool build for most of it, but it might fall in the rankings. Perhaps a rebuild is in order.

You aren't wrong - the Titan is an OK set, bolstered by its multi-seated bomber/fighter. The true pinnacle of the GS theme is the Hive Crawler, but you already knew that.

You aren't wrong - the Titan is an OK set, bolstered by its multi-seated bomber/fighter. The true pinnacle of the GS theme is the Hive Crawler, but you already knew that.

With Bug Obliterator being a VERY strong #2.
The more I look at the Titan on my shelf and try and play with it, the less I like it. It just feels...incomplete somehow. Like the concept was sound, and the build was fine, but there are so many areas of dead space in the set that it drags it down. In comparison, Bug Obliterator feels like two complete sets that could be sold separately, but just happen to perfectly combine into one awesome vehicle.
But they look so much cooler when separate.

Ponn

Banned
I'm thinking of getting The Daily Bugle set this weekend even if I can't get it clearance at Target along with the Walmart exclusive Doc Ock set. I've always had a soft spot for spider-man and he is the most requested set for my desk at work. Those figs, actually both sets mainly for the figs. Hoping they release a Power Man fig at some point to complete the Heroes for Hire.

I've been wanting Arkham Asylum and its my last "big" set on my list now that I have Orthanc and Haunted House. Everytime I see a review or pictures though I keep hesitating because it just seems really small for a 1600+ set.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I'm more into ships/vehicles as well.

Does anyone think Lego will ever re-release the UCS Falcon? If you asked me last year, I would have said no, but after seeing them re-release the UCS X-Wing, I'm having some second thoughts. Sorry if this has been discussed before.

Yes. Although the UCS falcon is more of a sacred cow than the original UCS x-wing, I think lego would consider the new market that has grown up since the original falcon. Plus it wouldn't be a re-release,they'd redesign it. My concern would be that Lego might shy away from a 5,000 piece set - they don't really do that kind of size any more. Would a 2-3000 piece UCS be as amazing? Would it be a middle ground that would bring us a great new model while satisfying original UCS falcon collectors that theirs is still valuable?

And if the rumours are correct that Star Wars ep VII has the falcon in it, well that is a good opportunity :)

I've been wanting Arkham Asylum and its my last "big" set on my list now that I have Orthanc and Haunted House. Everytime I see a review or pictures though I keep hesitating because it just seems really small for a 1600+ set.

Don't let the size fool you. There's a lot going on in the set and there's so many little details and awesome minifigs. It's probably my favourite set, followed closely by pet shop. Buy it!!!

Jimbro72

Also, FBTB thinks the SDCC figure raffle was rigged.
Seems a bit far fetched, but crazier things have happened.

Yeah, I've been reading up on some of that. Seems to be some pretty bold accusations to throw around based on just your own assumptions and without any real evidence to back the claim up (like booth employees verifying that that is indeed how it went down). I wonder if LEGO will respond to that in any way. Either way, it seems a bit "meh" in my opinion. It's a kids toy at the end of the day and if LEGO tried to see that most of them found their way into the hands of actual kids, big whoop. Sounds like a bunch of grown men a bit upset that they didn't get a free $500 collectible. I'd have been more concerned if it seemed like most of them found their way into the hands of scalpers instead of kids, but whatever.

SpeedNut

Yeah, I've been reading up on some of that. Seems to be some pretty bold accusations to throw around based on just your own assumptions and without any real evidence to back the claim up (like booth employees verifying that that is indeed how it went down). I wonder if LEGO will respond to that in any way. Either way, it seems a bit "meh" in my opinion. It's a kids toy at the end of the day and if LEGO tried to see that most of them found their way into the hands of actual kids, big whoop. Sounds like a bunch of grown men a bit upset that they didn't get a free $500 collectible. I'd have been more concerned if it seemed like most of them found their way into the hands of scalpers instead of kids, but whatever.

After seeing something similar at technology conventions, this wouldn't surprise me one bit. Just an example from one conference I went to recently, said vendor was a pretty big disk storage company. They had a giveaway where you would pick a card with a code on it. Then they had two laptops there to enter the code and submit to win anything from a pen, to a water bottle, to a t-shirt, or a 64GB Surface RT. The codes are already seeded beforehand, with the Surface codes in a separate pile under the desk. The concierge people at the desk would basically hand out the special coded cards to either those who are big customers, or if they needed a boost of people at their booth.

The thing that sucks about the LEGO one is that as seen here, there are a decent bit of adults that would actually keep the giveaway item vs. the resale market. So for the sake of stopping resellers they also possibly alienated the high dollar customer as well.

Need a little help here. The other day, I picked up a loose lot of Legos from Craigslist. There were no instruction books included and I have no idea what set this is (truck with small loader). Help me Lego GAF, you're my only hope. =)

Sorry for the giant picture. I can't figure out how to resize in Image Shack. Doh!

ekxw.jpg

Jimbro72

Need a little help here. The other day, I picked up a loose lot of Legos from Craigslist. There were no instruction books included and I have no idea what set this is (truck with small loader). Help me Lego GAF, you're my only hope. =)

Sorry for the giant picture. I can't figure out how to resize in Image Shack. Doh!

ekxw.jpg

Did it already come assembled? Because I haven't been able to find anything in searches on Bricklink. I wonder if that is just someone's well done MOC you have there.

rallaren

http://imageshack.com/a/img12/1696/ekxw.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]
It's [URL="http://brickset.com/detail/?Set=5893-1"]5893[/URL] and the main model looks pretty damn good! Well the truck looks good too.

Jimbro72

Did it already come assembled? Because I haven't been able to find anything in searches on Bricklink. I wonder if that is just someone's well done MOC you have there.

It was already assembled. There's a technic cog right behind the top of the cab that steers the front wheels, and there's a winch behind the cab that's attached to a modified brick (like a sound brick or light brick) that winds up the winch when you push the button.

I'm not sure it's a MOC because the other three sets in the lot were the 7961 Sith Infiltrator, 4184 POTC Black Pearl, and 8070 Technic Super Car. He didn't seem like a MOC kind of guy either, but who knows, maybe he bought it off of someone else who was. The truck looks pretty detailed like a real set, but the loader doesn't. I appreciate the help.

May god have mercy on your soul...

Anyway, it doesn't look official. It's at Technic scale but detailed as a major Creator set.

I was wondering if someone was going to make a comment about my use of the word "Legos". LOL. I've been saying that since I was a kid. You know the saying, "Can't teach an old dog new tricks." =)

rallaren

Ah, no wonder I wasn't finding anything in my searches of "loader" and "forklift". I didn't even think that it could be an alternate model on one of these Creator sets. No wonder it had a bit of a familiar look to it but yet, I just couldn't find that exact model. D'oh!
I just can't be arsed wit hthe Creator sets despite there being so many interesting looking ones. I'd say it's one of the better "themes" of Lego.

Lego Gaf -

If anyone is interested in ANYTHING on Amazon.com, I have some big Amazon gift cards I need turned into paypal funds. I would be willing to order and ship to your address on file with paypal if you would like some discounts. Willing to order LEGO sets, games, points, anything. Take 20% off whatever you want, and I will order it for you! I have Prime, so shipping will be 2 day shipping :)

I am a NeoGaf Gold seller on the BST forum if anyone is curious. Thanks!

Our own BrentWaller's LEGO Ghostbusters Cuusoo set got a mention on SlashFilm! It was yesterday so not sure if it's been mentioned here already or not. Anyway, great news as the set is fantastic and should get a lot more support.

Just got the BttF set and I'm drooling at the chance for the Ghostbusters set. It HAS to have all 4 of the minifigs (slimer is bonus). Looks like SlashFilm gave a good boost...just a matter of time before the BEST IMO of the Ghostbuster Cuusoo projects gets 10k votes.

Bah. Article seems very far fetched IMO. Could there be some "rigging" by the people working the booth. I'm sure little bit, but I doubt not nearly to the extent the article suggests. Also, seems like the rigging may be more towards giving to kids than anything else. I'm glad they are targeting kids for the giveaways like Azog, but I doubt they purposely excluded those that waiting in line for the other giveaways. Curious to hear from the two posters on this thread that got the giveaways.

Lots of new blood around here. Me like.

In my sick twisted mind, that seems a bit creepy. :)

neonglow

Bah. Article seems very far fetched IMO. Could there be some "rigging" by the people working the booth. I'm sure little bit, but I doubt not nearly to the extent the article suggests. Also, seems like the rigging may be more towards giving to kids than anything else. I'm glad they are targeting kids for the giveaways like Azog, but I doubt they purposely excluded those that waiting in line for the other giveaways. Curious to hear from the two posters on this thread that got the giveaways.

If there was rigging, I didn't see it myself. I managed to get the Spider-Man figure without having a kid with me. When I was getting my raffle ticket, there were 2 guys handing out tickets. They'd give them to us from the pile in their hand and as it got low, they reached into their bags to get more tickets. The numbering on the tickets weren't consecutive because my friends behind me got very different numbers.

Yeah. Seems scalpers or uppity collectors getting their panties in a bunch because they didn't win a prize. Gotta be rigged! It can't possibly be pure chance!

Hopefully the article helps give it a push on CUUSOO - I want the Ghostbusters in my city!

Also noticed that FTL is only 199 votes shy of 10,000 now. I have high hopes for that one!

20+ votes in the last 20 minutes for Ghostbusters!

FTL looks cool only if they include several of the ships or a ship with several of the crew members.

I checked out their other ideas and this looks interesting.
thumb640x360.png

http://lego.cuusoo.com/ideas/view/138

I can imagine with the new smaller ball joints from the LEGO Mixels leading to a lot of new "macrofigures" in miniland size. The smaller ball joints would improve the above "macrofigure" idea a bunch.

I feel like I'm in a LEGO recession right now. I can only think of two purchases I'll make for the rest of the year, Opera House and The Hobbit Lake Town set. Surely that will change once we see the rest of The Hobbit sets. Currently though...feels bad man.

Seeing those trans purple pieces on the Dolphin Cruiser makes me hope they put that color to good use, I'd like to see some transparent canopies or what not in that bloody color. Give it to me Lego...please?

I feel like I'm in a LEGO recession right now. I can only think of two purchases I'll make for the rest of the year, Opera House and The Hobbit Lake Town set. Surely that will change once we see the rest of The Hobbit sets. Currently though...feels bad man.

And then they start to show off the 2014 stuff and you'll be so amazed and grateful that you are able to get them. Or you could indulge in some older sets, I tell ya, that stuff is awesome, especially if you're fortunate to buy one new in box...being the first to open it up and see all the old stuff feels so good for the soul. I miss those bags with the tiny holes in them, you just don't see them as often...though those bags were kind of tough to open up now that I remember...

ghostmind

You could always join us in the Star Wars theme... its a party here all year long.

And then they start to show off the 2014 stuff and you'll be so amazed and grateful that you are able to get them. Or you could indulge in some older sets, I tell ya, that stuff is awesome, especially if you're fortunate to buy one new in box...being the first to open it up and see all the old stuff feels so good for the soul. I miss those bags with the tiny holes in them, you just don't see them as often...though those bags were kind of tough to open up now that I remember...

I still want The Black Pearl. Someone on reddit found it at a Goodwill for $7 or something. ARG!

You could always join us in the Star Wars theme... its a party here all year long.

Never! Knock it off, Palpatine.

Jimbro72

Sounds like you need more LEGO themes in your diet.

I still want The Black Pearl. Someone on reddit found it at a Goodwill for $7 or something. ARG!

Never! Knock it off, Palpatine.

Oh they got real lucky, Goodwill seems to put all their Lego on the auction site now for crazy prices. I remember finding a boxed copy of the Ninja Flying Fortress once...good times

I am at the end of my rope with the Star Wars Planets Series 4 release. They've been out in Europe for 6 months now, and not a word regarding a North America release. I've got my finger hovering over an overseas order right now, because I am sick of waiting for LEGO to remember that they haven't released these sets here yet.

Does anyone have the heads-up on a NorthAm release?

Have these really been out for 6 months? I'd forgotten these were coming out, and only the Lego shop seems to have them in.

Jimbro72

I'm realizing I might be a picky LEGO eater. I really have zero interest in stuff like Chima, Galaxy Squad, etc. I'd love to see LEGO go back to their own pirate and western theme. I'd be all over that.

Agreed on the Lone Ranger suggestion. Take out the LR and Tonto mini figs and you are left with some very good generic western themed sets.

So no interest in any of the City or the Creator stuff?

Top Bottom