• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO GAF |OT2|: Building Dreams. Demolishing Wallets

Sounds like you need some Lone Ranger sets. :)

If he goes LR, might as well wait until they're all on clearance since the film is not doing so hot.

I have Colby City Showdown and the stagecoach. Those are the only two that appealed to me and I was pretty disappointed with Colby City.

Agreed on the Lone Ranger suggestion. Take out the LR and Tonto mini figs and you are left with some very good generic western themed sets.

So no interest in any of the City or the Creator stuff?

Not really, a lot of the City stuff feels disjointed to me. I shouldn't do this, but I compare it to the modulars and nothing feels complete like those do. Vehicle builds are all too similar. I think I have large set-itis

Thanks for the reply =] I might consider sending him a PM to ask about the process.

I made the custom Spider-Man Noir design myself in Illustrator.

Water slide decals look like a good idea, though it seems transparent decals (which I would have to use) work best on light colours and I think the Dark Grey Lego I'd use might be too dark. Pad printing is way out of my price range xD Citizen brick say they don't do copyrighted stuff like super heroes, though they clearly have Breaking Bad on there. I found that http://minifigs.me/ will do a completely custom minifig for £30 which seems good but a little expensive still, I can do it cheaper on there site but it's more complicated to order. I'll look more into how much doing it myself would be, thanks =]

Found another LEGO printer, but the process is most likely an inkjet type and coated with a finish to prevent wear and tear. Super cheap compared to pad printing though.

http://www.brickprinter.com/Pages/PrintedFigs.aspx

I feel like I'm in a LEGO recession right now. I can only think of two purchases I'll make for the rest of the year, Opera House and The Hobbit Lake Town set. Surely that will change once we see the rest of The Hobbit sets. Currently though...feels bad man.

We're here to help. A cured addiction is a terrible thing around here.

We need a better profile on you. All I recall (thanks to my incredible memory and your ID) is you like Harry Potter and seems like you like Western and Pirates. No Star Wars. How about sci-fi in general?

What current themes available do you like and/or have?
What modulars do you have?
What do you enjoy in a set the most? Build experience, playability, displayability or what mixture?

In the meantime, I recommend buying a few bricks on BrickLink a day.

You should strive to build these with those bricks until new sets are to your liking.
6735418195_ae729af730.jpg

Hogwarts by Bippity Bricks, on Flickr

Toppot

Found another LEGO printer, but the process is most likely an inkjet type and coated with a finish to prevent wear and tear. Super cheap compared to pad printing though.

http://www.brickprinter.com/Pages/PrintedFigs.aspx

That is a very cheap process, but the results look pretty damn good! Thanks =] I've shot them an email, they probably can't do it because of copyright over Spider-Man's image, and they don't seem to do arm printing, but no harm in asking them =]

EDIT: Nope, but they gave me another site that can print on dark pieces

I cannot but you might want to get in touch with {Name and email removed] as he does have ability to print onto dark pieces.

Does however look like the other site is more about large scale corporate product printing:
http://www.promotecinc.com/

Ryuuroden

Hehe, yay finally can post. glad to finally be able to post in the LEGO thread. Just to share a little info about me as I join your community. I am an AFOL who has been through two dark ages. I left the 2nd dark age in 2009 when I took a brief holiday job in a warehouse during the downturn and it was a TRU warehouse which got me hooked on LEGO all over again. Since then I have become much more financially secure and fortunately/unfortunately have a massive backlog that includes UCS B-Wing, all the hobbit and LoTR sets. several Star Wars sets, the VW Camper, the Modular Cinema, 2 Town Halls, and some friends sets that I got for the pieces. The massive backlog is due to preparing to move soon into a larger place that will have its own LEGO hobby only room and I already have enough to pack.

My main interests are Lord of the Rings, Star Wars, and Modulars. I also buy many other series for the parts and if they are interesting. My main focus for MOC's is modular buildings. I have been working on my own modular Lego city/multiblock for a few years now. Half the buildings in it are modified Lego Modular sets, the others are buildings like apartments, barber shop, bakery, police station, bakery, and other buildings you would see in a town all built modular style.

I look forward to contributing to the Lego community here on GAF.

EDIT: oh yeah, just picked up Tower Bridge cause of ya'll raving about it so that's my first foray into that line as I missed out on Taj Mahal. Wanted to get it since Opera House is coming out soon and I have a feeling Tower Bridge won't be around much longer

ghostmind

Hehe, yay finally can post. glad to finally be able to post in the LEGO thread. Just to share a little info about me as I join your community. I am an AFOL who has been through two dark ages. I left the 2nd dark age in 2009 when I took a brief holiday job in a warehouse during the downturn and it was a TRU warehouse which got me hooked on LEGO all over again. Since then I have become much more financially secure and fortunately/unfortunately have a massive backlog that includes UCS B-Wing, all the hobbit and LoTR sets. several Star Wars sets, the VW Camper, the Modular Cinema, 2 Town Halls, and some friends sets that I got for the pieces. The massive backlog is due to preparing to move soon into a larger place that will have its own LEGO hobby only room and I already have enough to pack.

My main interests are Lord of the Rings, Star Wars, and Modulars. I also buy many other series for the parts and if they are interesting. My main focus for MOC's is modular buildings. I have been working on my own modular Lego city/multiblock for a few years now. Half the buildings in it are modified Lego Modular sets, the others are buildings like apartments, barber shop, bakery, police station, bakery, and other buildings you would see in a town all built modular style.

Welcome!

Looking forward to seeing your City!

We're here to help. A cured addiction is a terrible thing around here.

We need a better profile on you. All I recall (thanks to my incredible memory and your ID) is you like Harry Potter and seems like you like Western and Pirates. No Star Wars. How about sci-fi in general?

What current themes available do you like and/or have?
What modulars do you have?
What do you enjoy in a set the most? Build experience, playability, displayability or what mixture?

I like sci-fi, just not Galaxy Squad. I do like OT Star Wars ships. I have teh Sex-Wing and B-Wing.

1. LOTR, Hobbit, modulars, Batman, Architecture, Castle (I wish TLG did more with this theme, I guess LOTR/Hobbit killed that a bit)
2. I have all the currently available modulars. I have considered bricklinking Green Grocer...
3. Build experience and displaying

In the meantime, I recommend buying a few bricks on BrickLink a day.

You should strive to build these with those bricks until new sets are to your liking.
6735418195_ae729af730.jpg

Hogwarts by Bippity Bricks, on Flickr

fuuuu, I've seen that Hogwarts before but that Quidditch pitch is new to me.

Dear Neonglow,

The Umbaran MHC showed up yesterday, but I was not able to get it from the office until today. Thank you.
Solid set with enough SNOT to keep me congested for weeks.

Overall, I would give the set a B. Some nice technique in it, and great MOC pieces (and in great quantity as well), but in the end it just feels a little less than it could have been. If the legs had more vertical movement, it would go to B+ territory.

Would I love it as a $50 set? Probably not. This is a good $30-40 set for the end results. Thank you for sending it my way. Your sets will be in the post tomorrow when I am finally able to go to the post office while they are open. (Damn retail schedules!)

Again, thank you for the wonderful deal on it. So many things to help in future creations, and allowed me to build a new set without the wife getting upset.

Dear Antique Gamer,

I know you are banned right now, but thank you for the Galaxy Squad Mini Mech that showed up weeks ago. I have been a slow moving schmuck that has not sent off the poly bag Chima set as payment for it, but that will be sent off tomorrow. And to compensate for the delay, there will be another regular set in the box and perhaps another Super special polybag in the box to compensate for my procrastination and forgetfulness to send off the set.

I hope you see this and know I am sorry for not sending things off in a timely manner.

All the Lone Ranger sets I dont like but I do like Silver Mine Shootout... how much is it on discount?

Coincidentally, that is the only set from the line that I have never seen discounted. Every other set seems to have been clearanced out at Target, but Silver Mine stands strong.

Of course, Target also clearanced out the sublime Bug Obliterator, so who knows.

R-User!

EDIT: oh yeah, just picked up Tower Bridge cause of ya'll raving about it so that's my first foray into that line as I missed out on Taj Mahal. Wanted to get it since Opera House is coming out soon and I have a feeling Tower Bridge won't be around much longer

riQP4stl.jpg

TripOpt55

Post some pictures of your City when you can. Love seeing people's MOCs and Mods on here.

ghostmind

Pretty well now the show's started to be weekly. It's no Ninjago yet (fukken huge).

Though I am however speaking anecdotally as I have no numbers to back it up. Ghostmind?

I have no hard data, but up to this point Chima has not shown the signs of being a smash hit (ie. another Ninjago).

The sets are continually on sale from retailers, yet store shelves never seem to be out of stock. This was definitely not the case with Ninjago.

LEGO offloaded a ton of Speedorz sets recently through a free S@H pack-in, which indicates that they really overproduced the sets and did not anticipate demand (or in this, lack thereof) correctly.

Finally the cartoon is in regular showings, which is about 6 months later that it should have been.

I'm not convinced that Chima is going to turn it around and last over the long-haul, as early 2014 will see some 18 sets releasing for the LEGO Movie, which will be showing at that time in theaters. On top of that we have the return of Ninjago, including the cartoon series, and I wonder if there will be any room left for Chima.

Vyer

Man, my son has some Chima books and it's base story is like some freaky Twilight Zone episode.

On a side, the Houston Zoo had a LEGO 'safari' thing over the weekend and we took my son to check it out. Cute little exhibit.

neonglow

Dear Neonglow,

The Umbaran MHC showed up yesterday, but I was not able to get it from the office until today. Thank you.
Solid set with enough SNOT to keep me congested for weeks.

Overall, I would give the set a B. Some nice technique in it, and great MOC pieces (and in great quantity as well), but in the end it just feels a little less than it could have been. If the legs had more vertical movement, it would go to B+ territory.

Would I love it as a $50 set? Probably not. This is a good $30-40 set for the end results. Thank you for sending it my way. Your sets will be in the post tomorrow when I am finally able to go to the post office while they are open. (Damn retail schedules!)

Again, thank you for the wonderful deal on it. So many things to help in future creations, and allowed me to build a new set without the wife getting upset.
Glad it got to you safely. I hope to see what MOCs you're able to make with it in the future.

Welcome! Quite a few LEGO people in the last approval round.

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
Coincidentally, that is the only set from the line that I have never seen discounted. Every other set seems to have been clearanced out at Target, but Silver Mine stands strong.

Of course, Target also clearanced out the sublime Bug Obliterator, so who knows.

It's been 59.95 on amazon for a week now. All the LR sets have had a price cut.

Also welcome to all the new blood. Exciting to see the LEGO group grow!!

Wasn't gonna buy any lone ranger legos, and then disney store clearance happened....ah well. drugs always come back. Maybe I will get all the lotr ones someday....

ended up bricklinking the missing series 10 minifigures, I have now complete all series!

Please LEGO give me a month at least before releasing series 11.

KTHBYE

Edit: I need more minifigures to collect, I am looking at you Marvel minifigures, I am pretty sure those figures made for the videogame are going to get made eventually, Dat Juggernaut

Wasn't gonna buy any lone ranger legos, and then disney store clearance happened....ah well. drugs always come back. Maybe I will get all the lotr ones someday....

Disney Store carries Lone Ranger LEGO?!? Dang, when was the clearance?

ended up bricklinking the missing series 10 minifigures, I have now complete all series!

Please LEGO give me a month at least before releasing series 11.

Your wish is granted. Sept 1 is release for Series 11. BTW, you DON'T have to buy them when they release them. :) You have almost 3 months before they are discontinued at LEGO stores after release.

DJ_Lae

Picked up that half price Warp Stinger yesterday, didn't get any photos, though.

My daughter thought it was great, though she kept trying to figure out whether it was a wasp, or a mosquito, or something else.

My only real disappointment (other than it not being all that fun to build) is how immobile it is.

Toppot

I decided I'm gonna try custom make the Spider-Man Noir myself. I've ordered all the Dark Grey (Bley) pieces I need. I decided to finally bite on a set so that I have some good physical references to help refine the design with.

DQjdcAu.png

Pretty nice little set, Was quite impressed by the techniques like getting the windshield round the other way. I've been dying for years to have a Venom minifig to so this was great, though I will probably take off his neck attachment, I hate having minifigs with tall necks, just looks silly to me (Like the Deadpool minifig).

Disney Store carries Lone Ranger LEGO?!? Dang, when was the clearance?

Your wish is granted. Sept 1 is release for Series 11. BTW, you DON'T have to buy them when they release them. :) You have almost 3 months before they are discontinued at LEGO stores after release.

So September eh? that's cool, my wallet can rest till November~December then

Awesome seeing so many new faces in here! Welcome all.

I just found out my local LEGO store won't be getting the Delorean in tomorrow. Grr. It'll have to wait until Friday.

Has anybody here built Farnsworth house? I love the look of it but haven't delved into the Architecture series before. Opinions?

Toppot

Has anybody here built Farnsworth house? I love the look of it but haven't delved into the Architecture series before. Opinions?

Its a lovely set, the interior details are what puts it ahead of the other Architecture models IMO, though I only have the White House as well. Doing all the 1x1 white tiles can be a bit boring and hurt your fingers a bit but it just looks so nice, it was the first set that got me back into Lego again.

The Exclusive Edition 4x4 Crawler 41999 is now listed on S@H for release tomorrow. Limited run of only 20,000. I need one! or maybe two. =)

Bought em yesterday. Clearance more than made up for any disney tax. I think stagecoach was 20, the teepee set was like 10, and silver mine was 40.

Holy shit at that Silver Mine price. Might swing by Disney store by work and see if they have some. Never thought to look there for LEGO before.

I love how everyone wants that movie to bomb and bomb MOAR so we can get those sets at clearance prices.

And yes I will complete the theme at them lovely clearance prices

Holy shit at that Silver Mine price. Might swing by Disney store by work and see if they have some. Never thought to look there for LEGO before.

Yuuup. Never would have bought it if that discount hadn't been steep enough to reach logic-override levels. They get a small stock of the sets for any disney film that gets legos. I wish my personal lego dark age had ended back when the Pirates sets were still in production. Imagine snagging a discount of that magnitude on the Black Pearl or Queen anne's revenge...

also bought my first series 10 figs a few days before that. Warrior woman, medusa, paris hilton knockoff, bumblebee suit, painter, and revolutionary war soldier. 5 for 5 on feeling for em and 1 blind grab for the hell of it (which turned into the bee). I didn't want to spend a ton of time feeling to hunt for more unique ones.

And was gifted wizard battle.

Personal lotr to-shop list is nowwww: (in no order)
Mines of Moria
Helm's deep
uruk hai army
barrel escape thing
bag end
orthanc
goblin king
black gate
corsair ship
rivendell
silly tiny hobbit gollum set

Definitely won't buy em all before some go out of print as I've decided on getting a 3ds with my play money...

Picked up that half price Warp Stinger yesterday, didn't get any photos, though.

My daughter thought it was great, though she kept trying to figure out whether it was a wasp, or a mosquito, or something else.

My only real disappointment (other than it not being all that fun to build) is how immobile it is.

Yep, same for me. Just looks really nice. Felt like the tail could be moveable, but I understand why not. For kids, it would keep falling as it would be hard to position the tail properly if it could move. I grab it by the tail, but it doesn't feel swooshable or in this case buzzzable.

This small one is buzzzzable and more playable to me.

Will they be in LEGO Stores that day or only online? I think I had to get my original Minecraft set online...

I recommend online unless you can call and put a set on hold. Even then, stores have limited amounts.

LEGO store at my location has been getting additional deliveries in general (they usually get them on Mondays only). They sold out by lunch time when I picked mine up. Only 2 on shelf, but I think they only got a dozen or so sets that day. The previous week Thursday, they got around that much and sold out shortly after opening. I called a few minutes after opening and they already had all of them on hold. O_O

Unless they ship some more sets Thursday, my store has 0 sets to sell. They will tell you they can order online to ship for free if they don't have in store, but I think online will sellout as well unless they have a crap load of them in stock (which I hope they do).

Top Bottom