• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO GAF |OT2|: Building Dreams. Demolishing Wallets

Daaaaamn. Someday I need to go back and buy some figs from series before I got into this stuff.

Having a local shop that still has boxes and boxes of series 2 through 10 (and allows you to feel!) is super dangerous. It was just a couple of months after getting my first one last year that I completed the sets. Well, not series 1...haven't braved that yet.

R-User!

Wal-Mart ended up knocking 20% off the X-Wing with the damaged box. I asked a lady nearby if I would get a discount, she called over a manager or somebody, and we started talking. He said standard discount for this type of thing is 10%, I just started making stuff up like "Well if I want to unload this down the line, having a brand new box can almost double the potential price. And since I can't double my price in a few years, I'd at least like to halve my price now."

He just got a confused look on his face and asked "50% off? Can't do that. I can do 15%..." and I shook my head and put it back on the shelf. He stammered a bit and said "Okay fine 20% that's my max. No more."

$12 off makes it just a hair more than Amazon price, and since I could actually put it together today(just got done, fantastic build), I said screw it.

It absolutely blew my mind when I found out that there was front landing gear. I don't know why, but I was not expecting that at all.

Glad you enjoyed the build too!

Motorized Avengers Helicarrier MOC:

Bn6ZhBd.jpg

http://youtu.be/KKy1QTXcPZ8

http://sariel.pl/

Incredible MOC! 0_o

Finally made the stand for Quinjet tonight. Time for some pics of my quick and dirty stands for all my jets. I thought about rebuilding Thunder Wings, but I like it as a mech so much more.

Stand for the Quinjet. The curved bottom of the set proposed a challenge. I wanted to just make a stand and have it rest on it instead of being attached, but I also wanted it to be at an angle, like it was hovering. So I started looking at how to attach it to the jet itself.

Luckily the underside had a section to easily attach Technic pieces and at an angle. The little bay to deploy the drone. So, simply remove the drone, and attach the stand.

Push the black pieces through, then thread a 5x technic gear through the middle for a bit more grip. The bay for the drone collapses back into the ship...

And the Quinjet can be on display like it is hovering, waiting to attack the army that Loki summoned.
I like the way it looks at the angle, but do want to tinker and see if I can make a stand for it to simply rest on it so I can easily pick up the set and swoosh it around.

Stand for the Sonic Boom. I just wanted it to rest on the display so I can easily take it off and swoosh it around if I want.

Sonic Boom on the stand. Banking to avoid enemy fire.

The underside, showing how it rests on the stand.

The stand for the Sopwith Camel. The sheer size and weight of the set was a challenge. I wanted it to bank like the Sonic Boom, but also look like it was climbing in altitude. Sadly, the giant wingspan of the set made it a big hurdle to get it to bank at the same time.

I just settled for it to be climbing in altitude. The main weight of the set is on the stand, but the tail still rests on the table for stability. With some tinkering I might get the tail off the table, but this still gets the job done.

The weight of the set is on the angled technic bricks, but not as flush as I would like. The set leans back on the T-Beam black bricks.

The three planes all together. Yeah, it is a bit crowded, but I will figure out where to put them all eventually now that the stands are done.

Now the plotting begins about a Halloween Monster Fighters diorama.

Ponn

Banned
Finally made the stand for Quinjet tonight. Time for some pics of my quick and dirty stands for all my jets. I thought about rebuilding Thunder Wings, but I like it as a mech so much more.

Stand for the Quinjet. The curved bottom of the set proposed a challenge. I wanted to just make a stand and have it rest on it instead of being attached, but I also wanted it to be at an angle, like it was hovering. So I started looking at how to attach it to the jet itself.

Holy cow those stands are cool. I brought my Quinjet home from work and hate to take it apart but a stand like that would make it easier and cool to display. I see a lot of pieces you used in the Alien Mothership I have. No place to put it anyways and could use it to make a stand for that and maybe my Kreo Starscream in jet mode (it is a really cool jet). I can also use the train track pieces from the mothership for my Ghost Train.

Keep sharing your ideas for Halloween, i've been coming up with some ideas i've been working on to. I'm looking to use a lot of Mines of Moria to make a graveyard with the walls and doors turned into a crypt. I was thinking of just using the well and tomb pieces as they were but i've been strongly considering turning the well into a big spa for the backyard of the HH and making like a bbq scene with some of the monsters.

I can also use the train track pieces from the mothership for my Ghost Train.

Keep sharing your ideas for Halloween, i've been coming up with some ideas i've been working on to. I'm looking to use a lot of Mines of Moria to make a graveyard with the walls and doors turned into a crypt. I was thinking of just using the well and tomb pieces as they were but i've been strongly considering turning the well into a big spa for the backyard of the HH and making like a bbq scene with some of the monsters.

Thinking of train tracks for Ghost Train as well. Have an idea in my mind to make it look like the train is flying somehow.

As far as using Mines of Moria for parts, that and Helms Deep were fantastic sources for pieces for last year's Haunted House diorama I made. But this year I want to use every Monster Fighters set somehow.

I am debating about putting up Vampyre Castle as it is in the middle of it, or using it as a basis to make a giant wall around the other sets, including Haunted House. Haunted House is obviously the centerpiece of it all, but the footprint is massive compared to the space I will have to work with.

I do want to space out this one over the next month or so so that I can properly plan it for maximum impact. I think the Zombies set will be co-opted like last year where I use the tombstones but modify them a bit. But I do not plan on using any of the vehicles in the diorama. It is all monsters, and maybe some unfortunate victims.

EDIT: I LOVE the BBQ idea for the monsters that you have. Nothing like some silliness and comedy to help things out.
I am wanting to keep it straight horror though. Maybe even look at a MOC giant monster or something if my brain can figure one out.

EDIT 2: And for Monster, it will probably just me reusing Shelob like I did last year. That giant nightmare spider has gotten a lot of mileage with me. I have yet to disassemble her since I first bought her over a year ago. She is that awesome.

Ponn

Banned
Thinking of train tracks for Ghost Train as well. Have an idea in my mind to make it look like the train is flying somehow.

As far as using Mines of Moria for parts, that and Helms Deep were fantastic sources for pieces for last year's Haunted House diorama I made. But this year I want to use every Monster Fighters set somehow.

I am debating about putting up Vampyre Castle as it is in the middle of it, or using it as a basis to make a giant wall around the other sets, including Haunted House. Haunted House is obviously the centerpiece of it all, but the footprint is massive compared to the space I will have to work with.

I do want to space out this one over the next month or so so that I can properly plan it for maximum impact. I think the Zombies set will be co-opted like last year where I use the tombstones but modify them a bit. But I do not plan on using any of the vehicles in the diorama. It is all monsters, and maybe some unfortunate victims.

EDIT: I LOVE the BBQ idea for the monsters that you have. Nothing like some silliness and comedy to help things out.
I am wanting to keep it straight horror though. Maybe even look at a MOC giant monster or something if my brain can figure one out.

EDIT 2: And for Monster, it will probably just me reusing Shelob like I did last year. That giant nightmare spider has gotten a lot of mileage with me. I have yet to disassemble her since I first bought her over a year ago. She is that awesome.

Holy crap flying Ghost Train sounds awesome. I was trying to figure out an idea to make the Witch look like she was riding the broom and make a lego moon suspended behind the Vampire Castle with the witch flying in front of it. I don't think I have nearly enough pieces for something like that yet or the experience under my belt to build something like that though.

We should totally do a special Halloween edition of the Lego Gaf moc contest though.

Holy crap flying Ghost Train sounds awesome. I was trying to figure out an idea to make the Witch look like she was riding the broom and make a lego moon suspended behind the Vampire Castle with the witch flying in front of it. I don't think I have nearly enough pieces for something like that yet or the experience under my belt to build something like that though.

We should totally do a special Halloween edition of the Lego Gaf moc contest though.
I was envisioning regular tracks, but then using the flex pipe pieces at the end to make it look like the track broke, and the train taking off at the end of it. Like the last two cars are on the ground, but the main engine is taking flight.

But the issue is pulling off how I see it in my head. Again, will need much planning to do this.

R-User!

I think by this time tomorrow, Wetwired will be to #3.

Probably so, but if not, then by Sunday almost certainly; barring no
pattern change. :)

I wonder if people get to Cuusood' main page and then check out both Ghostbusters pages, and then choose one or both? If they choose w wetwired's set I wonder what pushes them in that direction? The whole process is fascinating to me! :)

Probably so, but if not, then by Sunday almost certainly; barring no
pattern change. :)

I wonder if people get to Cuusood' main page and then check out both Ghostbusters pages, and then choose one or both? If they choose w wetwired's set I wonder what pushes them in that direction? The whole process is fascinating to me! :)
Probably the fact that his build his better. As is his sales presentation.

Edit: the other set is still good. Very good. Just not as good as Wetwired's.

wetwired

Wetwired's is moving so much faster than the other one. I'd be really surprised if his didn't hit 10,000 first. Just a matter of time.

From what I've noticed it seems to be getting a boost whenever mine does, either people coming to mine and seeing "related projects" or just coming onto cuusoo and searching for ghostbusters after seeing it instead of mine. Mine is about 100 votes off of it now. it had about 3-4k when I launched mine from memory.

From what I've noticed it seems to be getting a boost whenever mine does, either people coming to mine and seeing "related projects" or just coming onto cuusoo and searching for ghostbusters after seeing it instead of mine. Mine is about 100 votes off of it now. it had about 3-4k when I launched mine from memory.

I think both are getting bumps by being on the front page, but yours is slightly edging out the other project.

Evolution of the Collectible Minifig:

For some reason I thought the CMF series would end with 8 awhile ago. Any idea when it may end? Near the end they can start just releasing once a year or reduce to 8 per series.

Daaaaamn. Someday I need to go back and buy some figs from series before I got into this stuff.

I'd jump on some of them as they only get harder to find and more expensive over time. Then again, some of them do show up again in LEGO exclusive sets or in the Build-A-Minifig kiosks. Some though are variations such as the band pack and part of the Halloween pack. It's actually cheaper to buy some of the later series (especially series 10)due to oversaturation and poor distribution per box. I got a few dups for under $2 each with accessories from some Bricklink sellers.

I like the stands. Sonic Boom is such a nice model. Wish I had gotten it, but it was right when I started collecting again and had will power to limit my purchasing.

Just my opinion, but I Quinjet would look better pointing up.

For some reason I thought the CMF series would end with 8 awhile ago. Any idea when it may end? Near the end they can start just releasing once a year or reduce to 8 per series.

I'd imagine they will ride it for as long as it sells well, then let the idea rest before bringing back a new interpretation of it. It seems really successful and they won't just give up a product like that.

I like the stands. Sonic Boom is such a nice model. Wish I had gotten it, but it was right when I started collecting again and had will power to limit my purchasing.

Just my opinion, but I Quinjet would look better pointing up.
Thankfully, all I have to do is turn the stand around before attaching it to pull that off. :) will try tomorrow night.
The angled down thing just made me think of scenes in Avengers when it would hover.

Edit: oh, and I might be able to snag Sonic Boom still. Let me look into it and will post findings tomorrow. But might have a way to get it at cost.

I'm a bit annoyed that his head is molded like an Oreo. It's obvious they intend to reuse it for something else. If I get him, I'll probably replace the head with a standard brown one and get him a hat.

I'm a bit annoyed that his head is molded like an Oreo. It's obvious they intend to reuse it for something else. If I get him, I'll probably replace the head with a standard brown one and get him a hat.

I'm up for a Candyland theme.

I guess I don't see how his head is shaped like an Oreo though.

rallaren

Friday CITY-building (and Atlantis) haul:

http://i.imgur.com/mT6SpSV.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]
jelly of the Atlantis set. It would look really good in a display cabinet
[QUOTE][IMG]http://i.imgur.com/bOOdcBb.jpg
The MF giitd skelly horse looks great in the dark in one of these. Its glow effect is mirrored on the glass, looks like it stands on water (or glass...). Edit: well you have to stand kinda close to see it.

wetwired

Birthday today, got the palace cinema, superman escape pod set and the jor-el minifig

only opened jor-el and the superman escape set so far, man, worst set ever. Luckily I only wanted it for the minifigs

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.

Luckily the underside had a section to easily attach Technic pieces and at an angle. The little bay to deploy the drone. So, simply remove the drone, and attach the stand.

Push the black pieces through, then thread a 5x technic gear through the middle for a bit more grip. The bay for the drone collapses back into the ship...

And the Quinjet can be on display like it is hovering, waiting to attack the army that Loki summoned.
I like the way it looks at the angle, but do want to tinker and see if I can make a stand for it to simply rest on it so I can easily pick up the set and swoosh it around.

Stand for the Sonic Boom. I just wanted it to rest on the display so I can easily take it off and swoosh it around if I want.

Sonic Boom on the stand. Banking to avoid enemy fire.

The underside, showing how it rests on the stand.

The stand for the Sopwith Camel. The sheer size and weight of the set was a challenge. I wanted it to bank like the Sonic Boom, but also look like it was climbing in altitude. Sadly, the giant wingspan of the set made it a big hurdle to get it to bank at the same time.

I just settled for it to be climbing in altitude. The main weight of the set is on the stand, but the tail still rests on the table for stability. With some tinkering I might get the tail off the table, but this still gets the job done.

The weight of the set is on the angled technic bricks, but not as flush as I would like. The set leans back on the T-Beam black bricks.

The three planes all together. Yeah, it is a bit crowded, but I will figure out where to put them all eventually now that the stands are done.

Pretty cool bone. Did you have the pieces laying around or did you take them from other sets?

Birthday today, got the palace cinema, superman escape pod set and the jor-el minifig

only opened jor-el and the superman escape set so far, man, worst set ever. Luckily I only wanted it for the minifigs

At least the set had some good parts from the looks of it.

And happy birthday. One more week until mine.

Pretty cool bone. Did you have the pieces laying around or did you take them from other sets?
Lord knows. I just know they were in my collection of pieces. Since all MOCs are dead, there is a lot more to choose from.

rallaren

8075: Neptune Carrier is done. Good set and build. Great playability I think except the enemy is very much on the weak side but the set has 2 smaller attachable vehicles and it looks cool. Also included 3D-glasses and the sting ray has gitd feature pieces.

What's going on with this gold piece?:
nrxc5DQ.jpg
Xq6sbtM.jpg

Images courtesy of LEGO via brickinstructions.com hosted on imgur.com.
It's freaking gold! But really, is it more cost productive or am I suppose to feel that it's part of the "engine" and more high quality while building it since it doesn't show when finished?

Turns out my local lego store has quite a few deloreans.

Cool, I thought, I'll just cancel my order, then roll on up and get one.

Except fucking stupid Lego won't let you cancel your order online, also the customer service is not available at the weekends.

The problem is that my online order won't dispatch until September!

I could still go to the store and buy one, and then cancel my order on the phone on Monday.

The only thing is that I used my VIP points (£25) to get the order, I trust that these will be reinstated, but I wanted to use my points on this order because I don't know when I am going to get lego again, so don't want to miss out on cashing in the points.

8075: Neptune Carrier is done. Good set and build. Great playability I think except the enemy is very much on the weak side but the set has 2 smaller attachable vehicles and it looks cool. Also included 3D-glasses and the sting ray has gitd feature pieces.

What's going on with this gold piece?:
It's freaking gold! But really, is it more cost productive or am I suppose to feel that it's part of the "engine" and more high quality while building it since it doesn't show when finished?

I've noticed that they sometimes use surplus colours on parts that you can barely see or can't see at all. I was just looking at the little Lego City smart car, and it has a bright green piece hidden behind all the white. I think they're just using parts up.

rallaren

I've noticed that they sometimes use surplus colours on parts that you can barely see or can't see at all. I was just looking at the little Lego City smart car, and it has a bright green piece hidden behind all the white. I think they're just using parts up.
I thought regular colors were less expensive but a surplus is a surplus I guess. Plenty of gold in the Atlantis city one for example (Edit: Portal. The city set doesn't have em).
Ah! Right there on the walls!

R-User!

51 to pass!

I'm watching the LEGO movie The Adventures of Clutch Powers for the first time with my son right now... ...it looks really cool... ...anyone else see this before... ...it's on Netflix Kids under the Animated Category.

It's cool.

Ryuuroden

I set my alarm on the morning of august 1st for 4:45 am, 15 minutes earlier than I usually set it, just so I would have enough time to order the Delorean. It was still in stock on S@H so I was like hell yeah! Put in my order for 2 of them plus an extra item for shipping and............card rejected...... fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu. So anyways called my bank, got that sorted out, it had a hold due to another order somewhere else on what they deemed was a questionable site I guess which they didn't inform me of so I missed out on getting the Delorean for at least a month, grrrr. There is no way Ill be able to get it from the store near me cause I will be out of town on all the delivery days for the next month and a half, only coming back home on weekends. Sigh, such is my life.

Redberyl

Neo Member
Does anyone know if the sets were up on for example S@H after midnight or in the morning?

They were available to purchase on the US site at 12am EST.

Also just a heads up your local Walmart may have some of the older Star Wars/LOTR/Superheroes sets on 30% off clearance (ymmv). Went to the one on Kelly Johnson in Santa Clarita this morning and snagged a batcave, batwing, and unexpected gathering (for any locals they still had some left as of 6:30 this morning)

MisterNoisy

They were available to purchase on the US site at 12am EST.

Also just a heads up your local Walmart may have some of the older Star Wars/LOTR/Superheroes sets on 30% off clearance (ymmv). Went to the one on Kelly Johnson in Santa Clarita this morning and snagged a batcave, batwing, and unexpected gathering (for any locals they still had some left as of 6:30 this morning)

Thanks for the tip! Mines of Moria for $49 = win. My particular Wal-Mart also had the Family House (31012) set on the clearance table marked down to $25(!) for some reason, so I grabbed that as well.

Top Bottom