• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO GAF |OT2|: Building Dreams. Demolishing Wallets

Stopped by my LEGO shop today to see if they had any series 4 planets, but not yet.

All out of Deloreans but expecting more Wednesday.

They had two Hobbit Goblin King sets on 10% discount due to damaged boxes, but the boxes were pretty mangled, I may have purchased one at a greater discount but they wouldn't budge.

Orthanc is an impressive set once built. Some day it will be mine.

Recent BL order came in, I only needed a few of these but at about £0.08p each I grabbed what the store had.

Oh snap! I'm a LEGO hoarder (not reseller/scalper) and would have done the same thinking, I'm sure I'll need to use this someday.

It's beautiful!

Can you imagine what a pain in the ass it would be to separate it from this one:

DSC09156.JPG

This is why LEGO put that little groove on plates so it wouldn't be difficult.

My Target has 10 Monster Fighter Werewolf tree sets for $9.48. Last week they were at $15 clearance, but it looks like none were bought so they lowered them again. They also had the Helms Deep add-on walls marked down to $24.66 or something last week, and I was hoping they'd be marked down further today but no dice. Same price. Oh well.

Wal-Mart here never has any deals. K-Mart just has an extremely small selection of lego stuff but they have Atlantis/Pharoah's Quest stuff last I saw. Just older sets.

Ryuuroden

My August release purchase list: (Most of which I will wait for discounts on Amazon or elsewhere)

CITY: (until now, there weren't any sets I was interested in set for release this year)
-60020 Cargo Truck (really want that forklift)
-60021 Cargo Heliplane (I don't buy city series planes hardly ever, but that tilt rotor sold this one)
-60026 Town Square (parts, parts, parts, I really like this set and plan to use much of it to heavily modify into my modular city)

CREATOR:
-31012 Family House (First house in a while from the line that looks to be a real good supplier of parts I would want for MOCs at a good price when I find it discounted. Will purchase more than 1 of these)

FRIENDS:
-41015 Dolphin Cruiser (This set is a perfect example of why the friends line really is awesome and why I love it. I will be buying at least 1 if not 2 of these to make a guy's version of a dream boat :D. I will use lots of black and white for a sleek modern look on my version, at least on the exterior)

STAR WARS: (Big month for Star Wars sets)
-75016 Homing Spider Droid (I have the older version and I like this newer version enough to replace it in my display)
-75020 Jabba's Sail Barge (I missed out on the first release of this set so I am going to get it now. It is looking like I will be getting most of the Jabba related stuff that is released this year. I may skip out on the Rancor pit unless I find it super discounted and buy it on impulse)
-75021 Republic Gunship (I have the 2nd version of this set and I like this one enough to buy it and either retire the 2nd version completely or modify the new one with some of the old one to make my own version)
-75022 Mandalorian Speeder (Who doesn't like Speeder's?)

shadow29

Neo Member
So thanks to FoxMcCloudDS I ended up with the Robie House for 140. Pretty good price.

In the end I must say it looks amazing. All the small details in the set are great. The outside walls have a brick like pattern due to the 700+ 2x1 plates that were used to make em. Not to mention there were over 750 1x1 pieces in the dark red, clear and grey. The walls were barely made out of any bricks at all. Great set but man did my fingers end up sore by the time I was done.

Ryuuroden

So thanks to FoxMcCloudDS I ended up with the Robie House for 140. Pretty good price.

In the end I must say it looks amazing. All the small details in the set are great. The outside walls have a brick like pattern due to the 700+ 2x1 plates that were used to make em. Not to mention there were over 750 1x1 pieces in the dark red, clear and grey. The walls were barely made out of any bricks at all. Great set but man did my fingers end up sore by the time I was done.

oh yeah, I was going to reply to your question but I never got to it that night. The Robie House and Farnsworth house are the 2 architecture sets from LEGO that I own. those are basically the two I would of recommended as well with the Robie House as number one if you have the money to buy it. I definitely recommend getting the Farnsworth House when you can. It is really cheap on amazon and I don't think it will be around much longer.

51 to pass!

I'm watching the LEGO movie The Adventures of Clutch Powers for the first time with my son right now... ...it looks really cool... ...anyone else see this before... ...it's on Netflix Kids under the Animated Category.

It's cool.

its on my que... been meaning to watch it in forever.

also, forgot to mention I've had a long history with bionicle (any BZPower people here?) and own the first movie, though I lost interest post Mask of Light stuff... the original designs and sets were and are still the best IMHO

Since I started buying lego Star Wars stuff more often now, my girlfriend has been on my case about asking you guys for some help. She's trying to remember an old lego set she had when she was younger. Probably made between 1997-2003, if that helps.

Anybody care to help us find it?

All she remembers is:
-House (probably pink)
-Yellow roof (made of two pieces)
-Pool in the back made of one piece, probably not bricks.
-Little recline-able chairs
-Table with an umbrella
-White fence
-Came with minifigures, unsure of how many
-Had some flowers(possibly stickers)

Again, if anyone would care to help us try to find it, it would be fantastic. Thanks in advance everybody!

Ryuuroden

Since I started buying lego Star Wars stuff more often now, my girlfriend has been on my case about asking you guys for some help. She's trying to remember an old lego set she had when she was younger. Probably made between 1997-2003, if that helps.

All she remembers is:
-House (probably pink)
-Table with an umbrella
-White fence

Again, if anyone would care to help us try to find it, it would be fantastic. Thanks in advance everybody!

All I can think of is the Town subtheme from the 90's called Paradisa. The one in particular I am thinking of is set 6416 Poolside Paradise. The problem is, that set came out in 1992 so it is outside the dates you gave and the roof isn't yellow. Fits some of the other things you mentioned though!
6416-1.jpg

Chuck

Still without luck
The lack of quality control on the Architecture Studio is pretty unfortunate. The mix of blue-tinted white and yellow-tinted white kind of ruins this set.

All I can think of is the Town subtheme from the 90's called Paradisa. The one in particular I am thinking of is set 6416 Poolside Paradise. The problem is, that set came out in 1992 so it is outside the dates you gave and the roof isn't yellow. Fits some of the other things you mentioned though!
6416-1.jpg

Paradisa was the one sub-theme I never bought as a kid but wish I had... still my all time favorite color schemes and the baseplates kicked ass. I would love a remake.

I showed her the picture and I guess that's not it. She says it's bigger than that and was a bit nicer.

Honestly, I'm not sure if it was actual lego or some smaller brand like megabloks, but she insists that it was official lego. We were actually at Target today and flipped through a lego encyclopedia and I found that Paradisa thing and showed it to her, then looked up the entire line and showed each set and she said it was not any of them.

Thanks for looking though, I appreciate it.

Ponn

Banned
Picture Time!

nd0LKU1.jpg

Lex Luthor Mech photo bomb!

4dWo3GO.jpg

Pretty fun build. Was going to skip it but glad I didn't. The car really isn't bad, but i've already torn down all the other MF vehicles and i'm sure this will follow.

What I was thinking about after I built it was how in the heck is the BttF car almost the same piece count as this?

Paradisa was the one sub-theme I never bought as a kid but wish I had... still my all time favorite color schemes and the baseplates kicked ass. I would love a remake.

You can still start! I have that set and it is a fun build. And the baseplate is too good.There's another set which looks like it would fit in...it's a restaurant set , I forgot what it's called...ugh

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
I'm ashamed to admit I forgot to support yours long ago.

Happy to report that that has been fixed. And brought it to the attention of some friends elsewhere.

Should ask EviLore or another mod if it would be alright for you to make a general GAF thread about it. Get GAF voting, not just LEGO GAF

Birthday today, got the palace cinema, superman escape pod set and the jor-el minifig

only opened jor-el and the superman escape set so far, man, worst set ever. Luckily I only wanted it for the minifigs

Superman escape set is awesome if you like to build a very complex SNOT egg. That has to be the worst Super Hero $20 set. They have always been great values. At least, the parts are somewhat decent for a parts pack.

:) Need to spread the word!

Legs is the word...I meant LEGO. O_O

Doing my best to spread the word on Cuusoo and Ghostbusters.

I'm ashamed to admit I forgot to support yours long ago.

Happy to report that that has been fixed. And brought it to the attention of some friends elsewhere.

Should ask EviLore or another mod if it would be alright for you to make a general GAF thread about it. Get GAF voting, not just LEGO GAF

Thought a thread was made for it, but I cannot find one. It wouldn't hurt to PM Evilore about it. I can do it, or Wetwired can since it is his project.

Might make Evilore feel good to see a GAFfer do good on a project like this. I do have a VERY good feeling about the project. I think this one will actually become a set. As awesome as Wetwired's Batman Tumbler is, the likelihood of that becoming an official set is pretty slim due to there already being a set with that vehicle in it.

Superman escape set is awesome if you like to build a very complex SNOT egg.

Legs is the word...I meant LEGO. O_O

Doing my best to spread the word on Cuusoo and Ghostbusters.

I think Marcos Bessa (aka the designer I will blindly follow because of Quinjet, and not named Jamie Berard) made that set if I am not mistaken. I do need to get it.

Awesome, my DeLorean made it out of Amazon's warehouse. I was worried it'd be thrown into back order hell.

FedEx tracking isn't working for me. I am expecting it Monday. Hopefully it shows then and someone is home to get it. That way I can come home from work that night and have something to build. If not, will have to wait for Tuesday, the first day of vacation.

Bone - I've been curious to see your sorting system. Care to share pictures?

I will take pics Sunday night, and if not, on Tuesday. Gotta drag the boxes back out for pics and explanations for the method to my madness.

It is a constantly changing and evolving system. The same basic rules are in place, but the actual division among cases is in flux as the collective grows.

neonglow

51 to pass!

I'm watching the LEGO movie The Adventures of Clutch Powers for the first time with my son right now... ...it looks really cool... ...anyone else see this before... ...it's on Netflix Kids under the Animated Category.

It's cool.

I watched it recently. It started off great in the beginning but I eventually got bored when they got to the new planet. All through the movie, I was like that's a cool set I missed out on.

You can still start! I have that set and it is a fun build. And the baseplate is too good.There's another set which looks like it would fit in...it's a restaurant set , I forgot what it's called...ugh

what are prices on at least the baseplates?

I think half of why i like them is because I grew up in miami and all the sets are miami colors

neonglow

All she remembers is:
-House (probably pink)
-Table with an umbrella
-White fence

This is the closest I could come up with:

5847-1.jpg

5871-1.jpg

Have her look at all the Belville sets here. She might have had a combination of several sets.
http://brickset.com/browse/themes/?Page=1&theme=Belville

While searching Belville sets, I discovered the precursor to the Dolphin Cruiser:

5848-1.jpg

wetwired

Just got home after moving furniture all day to this...

gbrace.JPG

almost..almost

I contacted someone who hopefully will be able to get some publicity on a site which I won't name in case it never happens, fingers crossed

Top Bottom