• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO GAF |OT2|: Building Dreams. Demolishing Wallets

what's the number on the piece? is it branded somewhere as Lego?

Her little brother looked, we are actually a few hours away and cant get ahold of it ourselves, but he only saw the numbers 427 on it. He did not actually see "LEGO" written anywhere.

Seems to me it isn't an actual lego piece. Oh well. Thanks for the help guys.

And here we go! I've designed the pieces for my MOC and sent in orders for most of the pieces. Around €100 so far, and the remaining ones shouldn't be expensive, they're just spread over a number of shops so I'll have a look at them tomorrow.

Puts my organization skills to shame, all I do is take apart a set and sort it to a plastic bag...this is something I'll look to do when I get more loose pieces.

On another note, tried to see if I could get another BttF set for kicks but the local Lego store said they sell out like mad...which makes me really glad I got it when it came out early.

For those interested about the containers I use:

Stanley Sortmasters: $10 for the large ones. $8 for the small ones.
Target or off brand plastic containers: $2.50 for five containers. Variety packs of 12 (different sizes) for $4.50 or so.
Sterilite Containers shown: $.90 or so. Yeah, those things are awesome for larger pieces. You can cram so much into them and they are dirt cheap.

Smart sorting. I plan to study your pictures at work in the morning. Thank you for posting these!
No problem. Like I said before, it is constantly in flux as the collection grows. I can take pics of the plastic food bins tomorrow or Tuesday if you want.
The whole purpose is to make it easy and fast to find what I want, but also keep it space efficient. I know I can refine it more and make it more efficient, but I lack the space. This method makes it easy to stow away and take up minimal space.

R-User!

You might not believe this, but that first picture that shows up were there's a bunch of "GLADWARE" (ac) containers in a black shelf tower thingy..........that's actually supposed to be a DVD/"Media Tower" right?

I believe I have that exact same tower... Dun dun duuuuuuunnnnnn!

:)

Thing is, mine was given to me when neighbors moved out years ago...

...strange coincidence... ...now I have storage ideas for that tower! :)

Back to looking at your pics for evolutionary ideas for my fairly unorganized current setup.

ghostmind

No problem. Like I said before, it is constantly in flux as the collection grows. I can take pics of the plastic food bins tomorrow or Tuesday if you want.
The whole purpose is to make it easy and fast to find what I want, but also keep it space efficient. I know I can refine it more and make it more efficient, but I lack the space. This method makes it easy to stow away and take up minimal space.

Nice pics - I am always curious how others do it, especially someone like you, who has a sizable collection and often accesses parts for MOC builds.

Most of my LEGO, except for my backlog still in their boxes, is currently stored in these:

CElreXx.jpg

Sorted into zip-loc bags by set. The exceptions being what I have already sorted into Stanley Sortmasters (not much) or the minifig cases I have shown previously.

With my transitioning the collection to the basement over the summer/fall, this is all going to change. It's a huge, and daunting project, but I'll be much happier with the status of things once I am done.

R-User!

Some new Keter cases at Walmart I saw were cheaper than Stanley sortmasters 8$ small size with more small adjustable sections!

I believe they were 5.99 or maybe 6.99; but they were definitely cheaper then the 8$ SSM's.

Open
UttPBETl.jpg

All of the neon green dividers are removable...

Closed
b8PzGfdl.jpg

About as compact as the SSM smalls...
Detail Label
S32chh4l.jpg

You might not believe this, but that first picture that shows up were there's a bunch of "GLADWARE" (ac) containers in a black shelf tower thingy..........that's actually supposed to be a DVD/"Media Tower" right?

I believe I have that exact same tower... Dun dun duuuuuuunnnnnn!

:)

Thing is, mine was given to me when neighbors moved out years ago...

...strange coincidence... ...now I have storage ideas for that tower! :)

Back to looking at your pics for evolutionary ideas for my fairly unorganized current setup.
It's funny. I was going to toss out or give away that DVD rack, so it was sitting in my living room waiting for me to toss it. But as I kept filling containers I just put them on there to get them out of the way, I realized how perfect it was. And so lightweight I can pick up the full rack and move it to the spare room to store. So yeah, I am keeping the rack now.

R-User!

It's funny. I was going to toss out or give away that DVD rack, so it was sitting in my living room waiting for me to toss it. But as I kept filling containers I just put them on there to get them out of the way, I realized how perfect it was. And so lightweight I can pick up the full rack and move it to the spare room to store. So yeah, I am keeping the rack now.

lol!

Actually, I think I saw that same rack new at Walmart or Best Buy, and it's like 40-45$ I think, so it's a relatively good value for what it does!

Did you see the Keter Case post above?

Maersk Truck on the Freeway
jljIt5vl.jpg
has LEGO made this truck in a set?
(I took that pic while driving lol! 0_o)

LeglessLegolas
iAdpQfwl.jpg

lol!

Actually, I think I saw that same rack new at Walmart or Best Buy, and it's like 40-45$ I think, so it's a relatively good value for what it does!

Did you see the Keter Case post above?

Maersk Truck on the Freeway
has LEGO made this truck in a set?
(I took that pic while driving lol! 0_o)

LeglessLegolas

Lego Maersk

R-User!

f5MahOkl.jpg

Front
fObkCiNl.jpg

Two weeks ago my wife and son attached the second wing of the Shuttle, and it was done!

I REALLY like the set! It's BEAUTIFUL! It's classy. Its epic. It's stylish. I love it. /gushing. :)

Soooooooooooo glad I grabbed it at $209 when it came back in stock late last year after it had been oos for a few weeks.

Thanks for pushing me towards getting it! No regrets! We have the Death Star but won't build it until September at the earliest. :)

f5MahOkl.jpg

Two weeks ago my wife and son attached the second wing of the Shuttle, and it was done!

I REALLY like the set! It's BEAUTIFUL! It's classy. Its epic. It's stylish. I love it. /gushing. :)

Soooooooooooo glad I grabbed it at $209 when it came back in stock late last year after it had been oos for a few weeks.

Thanks for pushing me towards getting it! No regrets! We have the Death Star but won't build it until September at the earliest. :)
ermUkmA.gif

Such a glorious set. Great build, even better display piece. It is also HUGE.

Can't wait to hear your impressions on the Best Star.

Built the new At-Te set. Really nice quick build, love the legs you can use to pose as if it were crawling over some uneven terrain. The way the back open ups is nice, want to load it full of clone troops. Was afraid it would be floppy but its a very solid walker.

Got the new Republic Gunship too, haven't built it but had too since I missed last two releases and those prices shot up.

mojiimbo

Yeah, last Fall was a great time to stop paying attention to Lego with the Maersk train, NASA Shuttle Expedition and Imperial Shuttle all going out of print. :-/

ghostmind

I'm getting hyped for the inevitable 1st half of 2014 leaks that should start appearing soon.

Hoping for more Star Wars locations, and fewer vehicles. Yoda's Hut, Mos Eisley Cantina, and Cloud City would print money!

Also hoping for a return of the CITY Farm theme, a new Garage and Service Station, and I'm still holding out for a zoo (and an amusement park). Please no more Police and Fire in 2014!!!

It may be that the LEGO Movie fills the "Action theme" slot for next year, which would provide a nice breather.

I think we (by that I mean my son) is done with Ninjago, so I will probably not get any future sets from its return, unless they do something really special with it.

R-User!

Well, Tower Bridge is probably a goner soon. Jump in while you can.

You know, those sterilite container stickers will peel of clean if you do it slowly; they have that peel-friendly adhesive that some current media/merchandise had. In case you wanted to remove them and didn't know. :)

I know, because last year I grabbed a bunch of those sets on clearance with mostly blue lids and some brown for less than a buck a bin, and I had to get rid of those stickers! I like sticker-free boxes for my sticker-free LEGO!

I'm getting hyped for the inevitable 1st half of 2014 leaks that should start appearing soon.

Hoping for more Star Wars locations, and fewer vehicles. Yoda's Hut, Mos Eisley Cantina, and Cloud City would print money!

Also hoping for a return of the CITY Farm theme, a new Garage and Service Station, and I'm still holding out for a zoo (and an amusement park). Please no more Police and Fire in 2014!!!
Rumors on the original theme? We had Monster Fighters in 2012, and Galaxy Squad this year. Both were killer themes. So what new fantasy/sci-fi theme is coming? I hope the steam punk pics showing up lately are a tease for a steampunk theme.

ghostmind

Rumors on the original theme? We had Monster Fighters in 2012, and Galaxy Squad this year. Both were killer themes. So what new fantasy/sci-fi theme is coming? I hope the steam punk pics showing up lately are a tease for a steampunk theme.

That is an especially large question-mark for next year.

LEGO is going to release 18 LEGO Movie sets, some of which feature themes from their past (Western, Space, Pirate, Castle, etc). I don't see TLG putting other similar sets out on the shelves to compete with their much-hyped moneymaker.

I would like to see the return of LEGO Adventurers though.

LEGO is going to release 18 LEGO Movie sets, some of which feature themes from their past (Western, Space, Pirate, Castle, etc). I don't see TLG putting other sets out on the shelves to compete with their much-hyped moneymaker.

Hmmm. So the LEGO Movie theme will be like a smorgasbord of themes past. Like a greatest hits collection, but done with modern pieces and techniques? Theme of the forever then?

ghostmind

Hmmm. So the LEGO Movie theme will be like a smorgasbord of themes past. Like a greatest hits collection, but done with modern pieces and techniques? Theme of the forever then?

Quite possibly theme of the forever. The movie is being considered a "BIG DEAL" by LEGO and WB, with the possibility of it becoming a franchise. LEGO would have the best licensing deal it has ever signed, for sets based on its own properties.

I think LEGO is going to go all-out for this theme, and I'm planning accordingly to get all 18 sets, and the 16 minifig Movie CMF.

LEGO is going to release 18 LEGO Movie sets, some of which feature themes from their past (Western, Space, Pirate, Castle, etc). I don't see TLG putting other similar sets out on the shelves to compete with their much-hyped moneymaker.

I would like to see the return of LEGO Adventurers though.

Hell yes, bring on the Space sets!

Quite possibly theme of the forever. The movie is being considered a "BIG DEAL" by LEGO and WB, with the possibility of it becoming a franchise. LEGO would have the best licensing deal it has ever signed, for sets based on its own properties.

I think LEGO is going to go all-out for this theme, and I'm planning accordingly to get all 18 sets, and the 16 minifig Movie CMF.

It's wonderful I'm informed of this now. With this head start, my wallet can move through all 5 stages of grief by the time they hit shelves.

I wonder if they are basing the sets off of what the movie is having in it, or the movie is basing some vehicles and scenes off of some really crazy sets the designers made?

Either way, it is exciting. A LEGO movie based on old LEGO sets is getting LEGO sets based on the LEGO movie?

scanners4.gif

Hell yes, bring on the Space sets!

HELL. YES!
The return of anything classic Space excites me more than anything. Galaxy Squad scratched that itch in all the right ways, but doing a Space set just to make a Space set would make me so happy.
Want to see an explosion of joy visible from space? Give me a new Blacktron set in the classic black/yellow color scheme.

ghostmind

My main question regarding the movie at this point is whether TLG was successful or not in getting a stubborn Marvel to budge and allow its characters in the movie. As I understand it, the deadline for such a decision was coming very soon, since the movie is set to release in February.

My main question regarding the movie at this point is whether TLG was successful or not in getting a stubborn Marvel to budge and allow its characters in the movie. As I understand it, the deadline for such a decision was coming very soon, since the movie is set to release in February.

I would put money on it not happening. Marvel and DC playing together in today's day and age? Unlikely. Especially since the Disney merger.

man... that one lego movie set is making me look forward to the other sets in the line... plus series 12 with the movie characters + classics

also, love the stories written for the Series 11 characters, mainly cuz the evil robot is tied to blacktron...

i want classic space stuff to return honestly since all the themes rocked. I miss me some ice planet and spytron.

Oh right..... LEGO city is a classic theme and going to be a part of the movie sets. Well, I guess any cops and firefighters they make are gonna save me money.

ghostmind

With Series 12 CMF expected to be out at the same time as the Movie sets, I wonder if the Movie CMF will push Series 12 out to a later date, or whether S12 will be the Movie minifigs.

With Series 12 CMF expected to be out at the same time as the Movie sets, I wonder if the Movie CMF will push Series 12 out to a later date, or whether S12 will be the Movie minifigs.

My thoughts are S12 will be pushed out. Movie CMF will have some classic minifigs so I doubt the LEGO Movie CMF series will be counted as S12. CMF series has been about "new" minifigs. It will be separated like the Olypmic ones. That said, this would mean not having 3 CMF series next year as it would really saturate the market and eat into each other's sales.

What kind of storage do y'all use for your Lego? I've sorted mine into colours and pieces and I want some kind of 'thing' to keep them in so I can find the part I need without much looking. I was thinking some kind of unit with lots of plastic drawers, like for screws, but all the ones I've seen have been too small.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

I like how you have all 1x2 bricks together, including technic and odd textures. I have all my beams together but only plain ones, so my other 1x2 end up in separate boxes. Might switch to your approach.

What kind of storage do y'all use for your Lego? I've sorted mine into colours and pieces and I want some kind of 'thing' to keep them in so I can find the part I need without much looking. I was thinking some kind of unit with lots of plastic drawers, like for screws, but all the ones I've seen have been too small.

I have a set of wooden drawers made by my father years ago, then a bunch of plastic drawers. Phoniclebone uses Stanley sort master but I guess they're cheap in the US - in the Uk they are really expensive. I use 'really useful boxes'

Repost of mine from last year - not changed much except the sections are a bit fuller..

Here is my storage setup. Warning, long post..

Normal bricks are in a wooden set of drawers that my father made for my son. Bricks in one drawer, smaller plates in another, large plates and roof bricks in the third, and bits&bobs in the top. I stuck pictures to the drawer fronts to help.
UB6xe.jpg

Inside, each drawer is divided by size. I don't have one section per size, they're teamed up with other sizes. So for example the bricks have sections on the left for 1x1&1x2; 1x3&1x4; longer than 1x4. On the right I have 2x2 & 2x3; 2x4; longer than 2x4.
w0zkl.jpg

The other drawers are similarly sectioned - roof bricks I separate by type not size, so 45 degree; 33 degree; inverse etc. the top drawer has minifig accessories and bits and bobs that don't quite fit anywhere else - things like droid legs or spanners. Those go in the sections of an old Lego advent calendar. I cut one up and put the cups into another one, so I can remove them individually as needed.
kU1x6.jpg

I3348.jpg

LBoRx.jpg

For other common types of bricks, I have those in a set of drawers to one side, again labelled and divided internally
G4r1B.jpg

P5dJw.jpg

Lastly for small common pieces I use small plastic tubs with lids on (to avoid accidents with kids around). These are translucent so I haven't bothered with labels. These hold things like 1x1 studs, 1x1 cylinder bricks, 1x1 snot bricks etc.
wAxJT.jpg

HEM0e.jpg

Top Bottom