• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO GAF |OT2|: Building Dreams. Demolishing Wallets

Fuck Fed Ex. Seriously. Ordered my BTTF set at midnight on the first. It shipped Friday. Estimated delivery? Wednesday. Wtf?

I knew I shouldn't have ordered online. Every single time it is bullshit and takes forever.

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
I wonder if doing it in that color scheme is more, or less, expensive than doing it the regular way. Or assuming less, how much less. Regardless, I'm not sure what I think of this color scheme. It's both cool looking and ugly, if that makes sense.

I love it and hate it at the same time so yes I know what you mean. It's badass that it is the falcon, but it's not the classical falcon.

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
Wetwired went over the 7500 mark.

7611! Things moving fast!

Spaceball_One_001.jpg

Anyways, today was my LOTR crazy deals day. Found Mirkwood Spiders set at Target for 50% off. Then the BN near home had a damaged box Pirate Ship Ambush that they sold me for 40% off. WHOO HOO!

Ponn

Banned
I went to several Walmarts yesterday. I think the LOTR/Hobbit/Spongebob sets are on their way out. Here's what I found

All Lord of the Rings/Hobbit sets - 30% off - Didn't see Helm's Deep, but every other set was discounted.

Spider-Man's Doc Ock Ambush - $21

SON OF A BISCUIT!! I just ordered this for store pick up tomorrow. Oh well, I will check and if they have it on sale I will just return/rebuy. If not oh well, I never get shit on sale at my local walmarts anyways.

Whoops. Was a bit too excited about that price on Pirate Ship Ambush and didn't realize I didn't really have the money for it. Yeah...ramen the rest of the week.

You guys just need to live somewhat close to your parent's home...my mom is always happy to call me and let me know when she is cooking something good. Freeeeee food ftw

Vyer

Playing Lego City Undercover off and on for the last month meant my son had to have a set with Chase McCain yesterday. Had to put off getting a new Star Wars set, but he's happy.

Also got the mini mech poly with the purchase, so that's cool.

Rootbeer

Banned
Thanks so much for the organization posts lately all! It's really given me some great tips and ideas.

Wish amazon would put some of these Castle sets on sale :( It's been like, what, 3 weeks... still MSRP... it usually doesn't take that long for a 10% or so discount :/

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Anyone here live really close to a TRU that happens to sell bigger sets? I didn't realize the Technic Excavator was OOP (set 8043) and wanted to pick one up. I could BL it, but it's starting to creep up in price...

I wonder if doing it in that color scheme is more, or less, expensive than doing it the regular way. Or assuming less, how much less. Regardless, I'm not sure what I think of this color scheme. It's both cool looking and ugly, if that makes sense.

there is no question that it would be cheaper!

Fuck Fed Ex. Seriously. Ordered my BTTF set at midnight on the first. It shipped Friday. Estimated delivery? Wednesday. Wtf?

I knew I shouldn't have ordered online. Every single time it is bullshit and takes forever.

Ground shipping is always shitty. Whenever I order from S@H, it usually takes 6 to 7 days to arrive at my house.

My Weathertop arrived from Amazon. Wasn't going to get it, but a discount and some blurays I wanted convinced me.

Now, what to do with spare Merry and Aragorn? (noone wants Frodo, that over-exposed bastard)

Also went back to the toy shop. Cute girl was there, Galaxy Squad was fully stocked, VW had apparently been sold off, and it does indeed seem like we're not getting Series 11 in regular stores in Sweden, there was nothing in their schedule for this year.

For some reason I feel a need to get the orange GS girl, but that set is too damn expensive. With the incoming BL stuff I'll have modern spacemen in a bunch of colors, but another female would be nice to have along with the teal and pink one.

For some reason I feel a need to get the orange GS girl, but that set is too damn expensive. With the incoming BL stuff I'll have modern spacemen in a bunch of colors, but another female would be nice to have along with the teal and pink one.

70705_alt2.jpg

How expensive is the set in Sweden? It has been on clearance tons of places here in the US, but think it just hit Europe with the full line didn't it?

Either way, it is one of the best sets this year. You get the orange GS girl, a kick ass orange robot (with heavy artillery), a great bug to put together, and one of the most fun and badass sets out there. What makes it special besides the great build (and LOTS of good stuff to use for MOCs later) is that it feels like two sets they could easily sell separately. They just happen to combine.

70705_alt3.jpg

70705-1.jpg

If you were to get only one Galaxy Squad set, this would be one of the two I would recommend without hesitation. Ghostmind feels the same way.

I mean this.
mAUO9lem.png

Oh. Yeah, all the GS sets do that. Just two pieces stuck together. It is quite cool.

And since Bug Obliterator is getting clearanced out (and if scalpers have not pillaged everywhere yet), I will repost my review of the set from back in March to try and convince others of the Galaxy Squad glory:

Bug Obliterator.

The two main vehicles. Although I dont know if the big bug is a vehicle or a REALLY big bug.

I love the mini figure for the evil bugs. The little antennae are a nice touch.

Prison cocoon for dealing with those troublesome humans.

Without the cocoon on the back.

The big boy. The main ship. DAT ENGINE!

Now, the coolest thing about the set. Push the lower engine on the back...

And the smaller ground vehicle launches. Ready for combat!

The back end lifts up for an adjustable flick missile launcher.

And if a simple pistol is not enough, the Galaxy Squad can also pull off the BFG off the back. DAT GUN!

The main ship after separation.

The main cockpit then slides down into attack position, and the wings spread. All ready to fly around and destroy the bug menace.

I LOVED this set. It combined elements from all the toys I loved as a child. Spaceships, Transformers, and monsters. All rolled into one badass package. The combining of vehicles and how they transform slightly is just too awesome.
The mini figures are great as well, but DAT GUN! Yeah, I am completed hooked on this series now.

Jimbro72

70705_alt2.jpg

How expensive is the set in Sweden? It has been on clearance tons of places here in the US, but think it just hit Europe with the full line didn't it?

Either way, it is one of the best sets this year. You get the orange GS girl, a kick ass orange robot (with heavy artillery), a great bug to put together, and one of the most fun and badass sets out there. What makes it special besides the great build (and LOTS of good stuff to use for MOCs later) is that it feels like two sets they could easily sell separately. They just happen to combine.

70705_alt3.jpg

70705-1.jpg

If you were to get only one Galaxy Squad set, this would be one of the two I would recommend without hesitation. Ghostmind feels the same way.

Ugh...must.....resist....temptation....to...purchase....for....sake....of....wallets......health......

Calm Killer

Anyone here live really close to a TRU that happens to sell bigger sets? I didn't realize the Technic Excavator was OOP (set 8043) and wanted to pick one up. I could BL it, but it's starting to creep up in price...

By really close you mean like 5 minutes? I think really close is the one that is 66 miles from me and takes about 1 hour and fifteen minutes to get to, but I am an hour from any major store so that is close for me. I can check and see if they have one. No free ship to store sadly.

Ugh...must.....resist....temptation....to...purchase....for....sake....of....wallets......health......

If you don't do the entire line (which I would highly suggest), just stick to two sets: Bug Obliterator and Hive Crawler.

For more evil temptation:
First off, I love this new element:

Shorter version of the curved slope. Only two studs long. I see this thing being very popular with MOCs once they become more common.

Second, I put ZERO sticks on the set. Some of it looks plain without it, but still cool in the end.

Awww...little bugs. :) Err, I mean: AAAAAAH! BUGS!

The Galaxy Squad: Red Shirt division. I do like the Daft Punk helmet dude, but these guys are going to get wasted.

The bug. Awesome head piece for this one. And you know why the Red Shirt Squad should be worried about him? Because in a theme where everyone is packing heat, from small pistols to massive cannons, this dude decides to roll with just two blades. He is so confident in his ability to kick your ass he doesn't need a gun.

The Galaxy Squad's ride in this set. Pretty cool build with so few pieces. It is lacking without the stickers though.

The back end separates off...

For our robot pal to fly around like a maniac!
Of all the sets so far, this is the most disappointing of the separations.

The main event. The big bug.

The back mounted cannons tilt and rotate in all directions. The way these are built is cool, as they are just modified flower pots.

The bug eggs hiding in the back.

Pull back the end (yes, there are rubber bands. Sorry.) and load an egg into the launcher.

Send a bug egg flying across the room. I might have to put the light up cat toy in this to launch it and drive them nuts.

But what is in the eggs? AAHAAHHHHH! BUGS! Creepy bugs! I envision these things as the face huggers of the Galaxy Squad universe.

A face only a mother could love. The way the head is built is pretty cool.

Underside of the bug, showing how the leg mechanics work.

Close up of the leg mechanics. It is hard to show in pics or in a short video, but it is really awesome how it works.

You roll the bug along the floor. This turns the middle piece, which is attached to two ball and socket joints on the front and rear legs. This makes them move up and down. As the middle rotates, it raises and lowers the middle leg.
Seeing it in motion is one of the coolest things about the set. I was giggling like a little kid as I rolled it along the table and heard the "click! click! click!" of the legs hitting the table.

The Eradicator Mech may have met its match!

Overall: A+. Seriously awesome set. It is a tad pricey at $70 MSRP for a 560 piece set, but it is worth every penny. Great figures, awesome build, and TONS of playability.
Definitely a set to beat this year.

BONUS: Thor just wanted to see his movie in peace...

Me terrorizing my cats with Hive Crawler.

And this showed up today.
BQ__T6HCMAANygk.jpg

Post Office delivered it. Must have been Fed Ex smart post. Wish I could have just done postal service only, as they are usually faster and more reliable around here.

Either way, finishing off the LOTR Pirate Ship just got delayed. I must build the DeLorean! Great way to kick off my staycation.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
By really close you mean like 5 minutes? I think really close is the one that is 66 miles from me and takes about 1 hour and fifteen minutes to get to, but I am an hour from any major store so that is close for me. I can check and see if they have one. No free ship to store sadly.

I wouldn't want you to go out of your way, but if they have one, I'll definitely help out as needed!

Jimbro72

If you don't do the entire line (which I would highly suggest), just stick to two sets: Bug Obliterator and Hive Crawler.

For more evil temptation:

Me terrorizing my cats with Hive Crawler.

And this showed up today.
BQ__T6HCMAANygk.jpg

Post Office delivered it. Must have been Fed Ex smart post. Wish I could have just done postal service only, as they are usually faster and more reliable around here.

Either way, finishing off the LOTR Pirate Ship just got delayed. I must build the DeLorean! Great way to kick off my staycation.

Yeah, there is no way I can do the whole GS line. My backlog is big enough and my want list is already long enough that I don't need another theme added to it. But if I can find some of the sets at the right discount, I'm sure I'd bite.

Nice that you got your BttF set today, too. Mine also got delivered today and is waiting for me when I get home from work. Only 4 more, long, hours to go. I look forward to your impressions of it, though.

Ponn

Banned
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BQ__T6HCMAANygk.jpg[/img]

Thats awesome, got mine today to. Yea Amazon likes fed ex smartpost but the delivery is flaky. Going to put my delorean together tonight while watching BttF 3.

Also picked up my Doc Ock Ambush set from walmart. As usual nothing clearanced. I take that back, they had warg attack on the middle clearance shelves with red sticker marked all the way down to a whopping $49 from $49.97 Wooooo.

No 8043 at my TRU. They had most of the current flagship Technic sets though. Just not that one. Sorry.

I mean this.
mAUO9lem.png

This is why I like LEGO so much. They are very thoughtful on the design of new pieces so that are very reusable. You use your imagination so much more with LEGO. Mega-Bloks has better shapes in some of their builds, but those are usually due to specialized pieces that aren't very reusable for other purposes.

I love the new minifig accessories and newer pieces, but I hope LEGO doesn't go too far. They may become closer to being Playmobil or Mega Bloks.

Man, You get all the good deals. Grats!

No, my good deals are pretty rare. Nothing compared to some others on here. But when I do find them it usually compensates by being a GREAT deal.

I also love how they clearanced Jabba's Palace down. It is MSRP of $120. It has been on "Rollback" for $90 or so for a while. But now that it has a red tag, it is $115. Yeah. Nice savings there, Wally World.

They had Quinjet for $49 for those looking for it. Was tempted to get Cool Cruiser for $30 and Olivia's Tree House for $13 but I resisted. If those were half price I would have jumped.

Thats awesome, got mine today to. Yea Amazon likes fed ex smartpost but the delivery is flaky. Going to put my delorean together tonight while watching BttF 3.

Also picked up my Doc Ock Ambush set from walmart. As usual nothing clearanced. I take that back, they had warg attack on the middle clearance shelves with red sticker marked all the way down to a whopping $49 from $49.97 Wooooo.

I've found that usually the better the neighborhood economically, the less clearance you see. And if you do, the discount is less than other stores.

You must shop and/or live in an upscale neighborhood. :)

Well, the Bug Obliterator is a cool $120 here, both at the shop and S@H. Makes it a little less of an impulse buy. Ah well, at least we have mostly free healthcare.

Too bad they went with Vermin Vaporizer as the VIP +50 points set for this month. I'll see if they get anything nice in by then, to go with some Series 11. If not, I may get the BO anyway.

I was thinking, after completing the million things I'm already thinking about, maybe it would be fun to remake some classic Space sets in modern style. The plane in BO reminds me of the Xenon X-Craft.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
No 8043 at my TRU. They had most of the current flagship Technic sets though. Just not that one. Sorry.

Thanks for checking...I imagine I may be SOL on this one, but I'll keep my finger's crossed!

Also, I just noticed that S@H lists the Opera House at $320. I was a bit taken back by that price.

This is why I like LEGO so much. They are very thoughtful on the design of new pieces so that are very reusable. You use your imagination so much more with LEGO. Mega-Bloks has better shapes in some of their builds, but those are usually due to specialized pieces that aren't very reusable for other purposes.

I love the new minifig accessories and newer pieces, but I hope LEGO doesn't go too far. They may become closer to being Playmobil or Mega Bloks.

. pretty much this for me too... I msotly like building sets to once again get impressed by the genius of lego in use of parts

headed to wal-mart in a few hours

mrklaw

MrArseFace
What is there new in August/September? Really want that VW camper to go with my large one, but don't have anything on my radar. Can you buy it separately?

Jimbro72

What is there new in August/September? Really want that VW camper to go with my large one, but don't have anything on my radar. Can you buy it separately?

The new Star Wars sets just came out last week, too, as well as several new City sets, if either of those things interest you. Some Friends sets, as well.

Top Bottom