• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO GAF |OT2|: Building Dreams. Demolishing Wallets

Hmmm it just occurred to me that if I buy ewok village and hide all the star wars characters in a box someplace, I could fill the thing with elves and pretend it's lorien... may have to do because lego LOTR would have to run for a decade before they'd consider doing an actual lorien mega-set.

RichardAM

Kwanzaagator
All those Galaxy Squad recommendations posts Goddamn.

Gonna have to cave in and bite with my next order! Ordered the smaller sets but i think I want the bigger ones now :D

Fowler

On LEGO and the Simpsons, this line from CNN Money stood out to me...

But don't expect a big fanfare when the Simpsons set is released. LEGO spokesperson Roar Rude Trangbæk said the Simpsons line will be among LEGO's smaller launches in 2014.

Jimbro72

On LEGO and the Simpsons, this line from CNN Money stood out to me...

I saw that, too. Smaller launches, meaning what? Only 3-5 sets from the theme and that is it? Maybe they're rolling out a small wave of sets to gauge interest and if sales go very well, put out a second series?

I sure hope he didn't mean limited availability and exclusive only to various events/stores and therefore not launching the line into all retailers. That would suck and also not make much sense.

Fowler

I hope it is a small number of sets to gauge interest, but you can find them everywhere. And when, not if, it takes off, we get lots more.

Of course, I say this knowing nothing about the deal or the way it was structured, but: Surely the cost of a license like The Simpsons (even a fading, fat Elvis on the toilet-stage Simpsons) would make a test run impractical?

mojiimbo

I might have to get into Chima with this set...
I built that set last week and thought it was surprisingly great. I had never built a premium $100+ set before(even as a kid) so I was probably easily impressed but the scale and details were what endeared me to it.

Seeing the big lion visage come together was really cool and it's tied to a long technics pole/beam that you can pull back and forth to raise or lower it.

It's really simple but the throne was neat.

There's a ton of translucent blue tiles and pieces that look really nice on white plates to give it a waterfall effect.

It has a fold-out wall on each side, one is a tower with a big technics missile and the other has a jail cell I believe.

The yellow cars were a fun build, reminded me of a light cycle or Blade Runner spinner, sort of.

The figures have a lot of detail and uniqueness to them on the prints/armor/weapons.

I wouldn't buy it for myself since I only have so much space and money, but the 10 year old version of me would have gone nuts for it. Lots of play value there to justify the price tag IMO.

FWIW, I didn't think much of Chima before this.

rallaren

All of those trans blue pieces...=O
Cool effect for an official set. There's another one with similar design I think.

I built that set last week and thought it was surprisingly great. I had never built a premium $100+ set before(even as a kid) so I was probably easily impressed but the scale and details were what endeared me to it.

Seeing the big lion visage come together was really cool and it's tied to a long technics pole/beam that you can pull back and forth to raise or lower it.

It's really simple but the throne was neat.

There's a ton of translucent blue tiles and pieces that look really nice on white plates to give it a waterfall effect.

It has a fold-out wall on each side, one is a tower with a big technics missile and the other has a jail cell I believe.

The yellow cars were a fun build, reminded me of a light cycle or Blade Runner spinner, sort of.

The figures have a lot of detail and uniqueness to them on the prints/armor/weapons.

I wouldn't buy it for myself since I only have so much space and money, but the 10 year old version of me would have gone nuts for it. Lots of play value there to justify the price tag IMO.

FWIW, I didn't think much of Chima before this.
That's the thing about Chima; so much playability for kids that it's just too much.

I saw Jangbrick's review of it and I wanted to be a child again. Looks so damn fun... but it's very much a playset. I'd just break it down to pieces.

As for Simpsons, it's tricky. Surely they have to know that the Simpsons universe has almost as many collectible figures as Star Wars. It's just a question of whether the fans are as crazy, which I doubt nowadays. Also, they probably can't just sell figures, and there aren't that many suitable sets, unless they go with obscure episode based ones.

However, I'm pretty sure the Simpsons house is given, maybe as a expandable playset with separate car and treehouse, so those can be sold at a lower cost and still contribute to the whole. That, make a small power plant thing with Homer, Smithers and Burns, make a school bus and some exclusive, more obscure set, and bam, complete run right there.

It did win in the Best New toys at NY Toy Fair

http://idlehands1.blogspot.com/2013/01/toy-fair-2013-5th-annual-best-new-toys.html

Whoa! Didn't notice this before.

In the list is something called Hornby Quickbuild. It's a model kit that seems to be LEGO compatible. Not like a construction block toy kit, but like the old plastic models that you glued together. Interesting...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=052zjJLmzXk

I saw Jangbrick's review of it and I wanted to be a child again. Looks so damn fun... but it's very much a playset. I'd just break it down to pieces.

As for Simpsons, it's tricky. Surely they have to know that the Simpsons universe has almost as many collectible figures as Star Wars. It's just a question of whether the fans are as crazy, which I doubt nowadays. Also, they probably can't just sell figures, and there aren't that many suitable sets, unless they go with obscure episode based ones.

However, I'm pretty sure the Simpsons house is given, maybe as a expandable playset with separate car and treehouse, so those can be sold at a lower cost and still contribute to the whole. That, make a small power plant thing with Homer, Smithers and Burns, make a school bus and some exclusive, more obscure set, and bam, complete run right there.

Simpsons doesn't have a huge collection of vehicles and spaceships. Also, there's no character that's good for army building like the Storm/Clone Troopers.

I agree, play/display-sets is what they'll probably go for.

Finished the BTTF set. Overall, not bad, but not that great either.

There are some nice things in the build, but in the end it is extremely fragile. Especially the roof and doors. I like how simple it is for it to be modified for each film. Only takes a couple of steps to change between each model.

The minifigures are good, but it is a shame it didn't come with a pink hoverboard as well. :)

The big thing this set has going for it is nostalgia and character. If you knew nothing about BTTF (and if you don't, shame on you!), this would just be a fairly decent car that you would be afraid of picking up with much force. But if you are a fan of the film, it takes on a special meaning as you actually have an officially licensed toy. In that respect, it is like the Death Star.
"What is in there?"
"Only what you take with you."

The instruction book is much like the Architecture ones. Square bound and on heavier stock. There is a bit of history of the film and about the Michael J. Fox Foundation at the start. As you build it, there are bits of pieces of trivia about the step you are on.
I love little touches like that with the Architecture series, but hate square bound instructions. It is impossible to just lay it on the table and flip pages unless you want to bend it in half. It looks nice, but it is not practical.

I would recommend it just for getting a BTTF set. Expect a fairly normal build, but a lot of nostalgia as you build it.

In the pics, I had Mr. Fusion on there just to keep it there. But I prefer the OUTATIME plate. The 2015 plate I just put on top of the set so I do not lose it.

Doors open. Looking at them the wrong way makes them snap off. Same with the roof. This set is for looking, not for playing.

Many of the angles are just resting against other pieces. No real stability. But that was not a surprise if you look close enough.

Oh, no! It's the Libyans!

Jimbro72

Anyone here live really close to a TRU that happens to sell bigger sets? I didn't realize the Technic Excavator was OOP (set 8043) and wanted to pick one up. I could BL it, but it's starting to creep up in price...

I just stopped at my local TRU on the way home and even though they had several large Technic sets there, this was not one of them. Sorry.

I'm thinking that the Simpsons theme will be about the size of the TMNT theme from this year.

I'd be ok with that (so would my wallet). Though with that small a run of sets, who, beyond the family of 5, gets the minifigure treatment? Or will it only be the 5 main characters and if you buy all the sets, you end up with multiple Homers and Barts. You just know they'll make one of them, be it Marge or Maggie, only available in one set and it's going to be the $100 set, if they make that one big, so if you want the whole family, you're gonna pay for it.

And here's a pic of my latest LEGO order, which just showed up today, along with some other sets from the past few weeks of buying, including a couple clearance sets. Missing from the pic is the City Fire Station which I just now realize I've already moved down to the basement with the rest of the backlog. A little bit of everything here...

Jimbro72

Doors open. Looking at them the wrong way makes them snap off. Same with the roof. This set is for looking, not for playing.

Nice review. I'm not surprised that the doors and roof are that fragile. Just looking at pics you can tell it's not the sturdiest of designs and with every open and closing of doors may require a bit of readjusting to those pieces.

Oh, no! It's the Libyans!

37381-Damn-good-stuff-sir-gif-smOr.gif

Hmm...the 6th post has me wondering if they will use the standard LEGO heads.

8544440747_c44891d230_z.jpg

Oldman headpiece would work for Homer. Doesn't look too bad without noses. Would lose a lot from certain characters though with very distinct noses compared to others.
I think they will be regular heads with custom tops to form the hair, eyes, and noses. Much like the Chima figures.

Kakusaizou

Neo Member
Thanks for checking...I imagine I may be SOL on this one, but I'll keep my finger's crossed!

This set has been sold out since last Christmas~early January. I was lucky enough to get a few when Toysrus sold them at $160 right before they were gone.

You can try phoning a local Toysrus and have them check their system. I believe they are connected to every store in the nation and can check stock level for all stores.

In all honesty, it wasn't that impressive of a set. I got bored with mine in a day and sold it.

R-User!

Hmmm it just occurred to me that if I buy ewok village and hide all the star wars characters in a box someplace, I could fill the thing with elves and pretend it's lorien... may have to do because lego LOTR would have to run for a decade before they'd consider doing an actual lorien mega-set.

Whoa!!!!!!!!!!

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
This set has been sold out since last Christmas~early January. I was lucky enough to get a few when Toysrus sold them at $160 right before they were gone.

You can try phoning a local Toysrus and have them check their system. I believe they are connected to every store in the nation and can check stock level for all stores.

In all honesty, it wasn't that impressive of a set. I got bored with mine in a day and sold it.

D:

R-User!

I still think Simpsons is a bizarre theme...I can't really pinpoint WHY I feel this way, but I do.

Maybe because it's been on the tube for 37 years and it's old, well past it's prime, if not beloved? I loved that show, but I don't know why but since the mid-naughts, I haven't really been drawn to the show.

Don'tuh getta me wrong'uh... I'll buy the sets'uh... I'm just not'uh sure if'a they'll sell'uh. /Watto cuz I'm in the mood to ape him.

Just finished Pirate Ship Ambush. Pretty damn cool set. Looks great, and has great mini figures too. Add to that tons of great pieces for MOCs, and you have a recipe for a great set.

Tempted to put together Queen Anne's Revenge again now just to have three ships. Have them both attacking the Dolphin Cruiser...

I blame someone else on here for that idea. I cannot remember whom, but they mentioned there would be boardings...

R-User!

Just finished Pirate Ship Ambush. Pretty damn cool set. Looks great, and has great mini figures too. Add to that tons of great pieces for MOCs, and you have a recipe for a great set.

Tempted to put together Queen Anne's Revenge again now just to have three ships. Have them both attacking the Dolphin Cruiser...

I blame someone else on here for that idea. I cannot remember whom, but they mentioned there would be boardings...

I thought you refrained from getting that set? Did you go back with the CC the next day or something?

Edit: or you bought it and that's why ramen for a week?

swung by walmart and almost bought Warg Attack but realized I only want the wargs in it really... was marked to $35.

... i did find something decent where they marked a Hero Factory set for $1 and then 25% off that so it was .75. It rang up regular price but they honored the price tag ^_^

I have a long history with Bionicle and like picking up random hero factory sets for their pieces even if I'm not into the series.

hmmblah

Ummmm. Time to use the credit card and hide the set from my wife.

Thanks for the heads up! I swung by wal-mart today after work and grabbed a few clearance sets.

9515 - The Malevolance - $64
9499 - Gungan Sub - $40
6868 - Hulk's Helicarrier Breakout - $35
9471 - Uruk-hai Army - $21

They also had Helms Deep at $89 and Mines of Moria at $54. I want both, but I think I want prices to drop further first.

Thanks for the heads up! I swung by wal-mart today after work and grabbed a few clearance sets.

9499 - Gungan Sub - $40

They also had Helms Deep at $89 and Mines of Moria at $54. I want both, but I think I want prices to drop further first.

those are the same prices at the super wal-mart i went to here in mid-north florida

R-User!

9499 - Gungan Sub - $40

Be wary; sometimes a set will drop by X%, but if it never sells after a period of time, then said set can go back to active/in season status; which would cause the set to go back UP to regular MSRP... I just saw this happen with the Ghost Train. It was $54 (30% off), and now the item won't scan, and when you get someone with a gun, the gun says: $79.99...

! Wait at your own risk when it comes to Walmart...

I still need Hulk Breakout. While the huge Hulk is nowhere near as cool as regular mini fig Hulk, that set comes with Hawkguy. I need LEGO Hawkguy.

Just polishing off the first floor of Haunted House rebuild. Yeah...this set is god tier. I thought of doing a time lapse as I built it, but I am lazy while on vacation.

Actually think I am liking the build even more the second time.

robjoh

Well, the Bug Obliterator is a cool $120 here, both at the shop and S@H. Makes it a little less of an impulse buy. Ah well, at least we have mostly free healthcare.

Am I correct that you are from Sweden? If so I have found that Webhallen is cheaper than stores. I just bought the Lego Treehouse for 239 SEK, I think most of the stores want around 350 SEK for that set.

The Bug Obliterator cost 649 SEK at webhallen or ~100 USD. If you live in Stockholm, Göteborg or Malmö you can chose to pick up the gods at the store, so no need to pay for the freight.

http://www.webhallen.com/se-sv/lek_och_gadgets/170751-lego_galaxy_squad-insektsbekampare_70705

Top Bottom