• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO GAF |OT2|: Building Dreams. Demolishing Wallets

Finished the BTTF set. Overall, not bad, but not that great either.

There are some nice things in the build, but in the end it is extremely fragile. Especially the roof and doors. I like how simple it is for it to be modified for each film. Only takes a couple of steps to change between each model.

The minifigures are good, but it is a shame it didn't come with a pink hoverboard as well. :)

The big thing this set has going for it is nostalgia and character. If you knew nothing about BTTF (and if you don't, shame on you!), this would just be a fairly decent car that you would be afraid of picking up with much force. But if you are a fan of the film, it takes on a special meaning as you actually have an officially licensed toy. In that respect, it is like the Death Star.
"What is in there?"
"Only what you take with you."

The instruction book is much like the Architecture ones. Square bound and on heavier stock. There is a bit of history of the film and about the Michael J. Fox Foundation at the start. As you build it, there are bits of pieces of trivia about the step you are on.
I love little touches like that with the Architecture series, but hate square bound instructions. It is impossible to just lay it on the table and flip pages unless you want to bend it in half. It looks nice, but it is not practical.

I would recommend it just for getting a BTTF set. Expect a fairly normal build, but a lot of nostalgia as you build it.

In the pics, I had Mr. Fusion on there just to keep it there. But I prefer the OUTATIME plate. The 2015 plate I just put on top of the set so I do not lose it.

Doors open. Looking at them the wrong way makes them snap off. Same with the roof. This set is for looking, not for playing.

Many of the angles are just resting against other pieces. No real stability. But that was not a surprise if you look close enough.

Oh, no! It's the Libyans!

I'm a bit disappointed. I thought they may have used parts like these for the bonnet/ hood:

Cle1ZFa.jpg

WZXB0cl.jpg

I don't know if those parts come in grey though. I'd still give anything for a huge Delorean, like the size of 8880.

wetwired

I opened the Palace Cinema and put it together today, easily the fastest to build Modular yet. Usually they take me a few sittings but I knocked this out in about half the time of the others.

I like it more after seeing it person than I did before purchase, it's not in my top 3 though, I'd still go.

1. Green Grocer
  2. Grand Emporium
  3. Fire Brigade

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
I opened the Palace Cinema and put it together today, easily the fastest to build Modular yet. Usually they take me a few sittings but I knocked this out in about half the time of the others.

I like it more after seeing it person than I did before purchase, it's not in my top 3 though, I'd still go.

1. Green Grocer
  2. Grand Emporium
  3. Fire Brigade

You broke 8000 last night on the ghostbusters set! 2k to go!!

I saw and supported the competitors set first, but I wish I could remove my support from them now I've seen yours and realised how much better your Ecto-1 is. I still supported you though :)

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I was browsing CUUSOO after supporting your project wetwired.

First, great work on it - nice looking model with some very "LEGO-esque" touches. Simple yet satisfying design!

Second, CUUSOO is, on the majority, a massive circle jerk. Seriously, Minecraft and FTL? I mean, I don't mind either as an IP, but as a LEGO set, it's sort of a bummer. While I initially felt that Minecraft LEGO was neat (because it DOES introduce folks to the microscale building concept, which I love), it's such a joke of a concept.

FTL is even worse - a bunch of mini spaceships? Don't they already produce mini spaceships in the Star Wars line? I mean, there's nothing about it that, to me, screams "unique". There are some fantastic looking modular buildings, displays, and fun ideas all over CUUSOO, but seeing hyper-popular shows and video games get the 10k supporter badge before others is bothersome to me.

Even though wetwired's design is still a major IP, it's got an INCREDIBLY iconic look to it, and it's very unique in it's style. But if you held up an FTL ship and a Star Wars ship, I would be hard pressed to tell the difference...Well, I may be able to tell, but a younger LEGO builder probably doesn't notice or care. It's just more tiny ships.

I'm sure we've all had our moments when it comes to CUUSOO and what it really is, and I guess this is just another one of mine. As a whole, I think CUUSOO is a really neat idea. I think that TLG is likely using it to glean some neat ideas for future sets and themes themselves (not just the 10k+ ones), too. Which is smart. Maybe they'll be able to notice sets that really have some potential due to their unique design or aesthetic. Maybe.

I realize the reason behind these major video games and franchises hitting crazy support...Kids might google, "Pokemon LEGO" or "Mario LEGO" or whatever. And that's fine. And as soon as someone who creates a CUUSOO project for these various IP's posts it, they probably flock to every major message board they can find and advertise it. And really, that's fine - it's advertising. I just wish there were more ways for someone to put up a neat project and get support.

OK, I'm done bitching about CUUSOO. I really do hope wetwired's project hits 10k! I don't really care about Ghostbuster's, but if this gets made, I'll definitely buy one to support you!

That is one of the problems with CUUSOO. The licensed stuff rises because it has the license, while many very cool and unique sets languish in the pits. Some of the things that hit 10k are ugly as hell, but they only got there because they rode on the IP. But, there are some fantastic looking sets based on IPs. Just look at Wetwired's Ghostbusters project.

At the same time, it is nice because it gives IPs that might not ever see an actual LEGO set come out. Just look at the DeLorean. It is a double edged sword. I like seeing sets from IPs that never got them, but I also want to see some cool standalone ideas flourish. Just look at the Western Modular Town.

And this may seem hypocritical, but I am toying with ideas for a small set that has to do with an IP that has never had (and honestly, will probably never get) a LEGO release, and I want to put it up on CUUSOO. More to test the waters of it.

EDIT:

Some very cool, non IP stuff on CUUSOO:

DJ_Lae

I love those pianos. Only thing I'm not as keen on is the use of the same grate piece for the strings inside as the keys...but I'm not sure if there's anything that would make a better replacement (maybe dark grey or black ones that stand out less).

ghostmind

Rumored (heavy grains of salt) Hobbit set list (from Eurobricks):

79011 Dol Guldur Ambush £19.99
79012 Mirkwood Elf Army £29.99
79013 Lake Town Chase £49.99
79014 Dol Guldur Battle £69.99

I can't see them not doing a Smaug set, so I have some reservations regarding this rumor.

Jimbro72

I can't see them not doing a Smaug set, so I have some reservations regarding this rumor.

Could it be that those will end up just being the sets sold at all retailers and a Smaug set may actually be a store exclusive and maybe that is why it's not included...yet? Maybe TRU or even next years big 100xx LOTR/Hobbit set (assuming they do another)?

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
That is one of the problems with CUUSOO. The licensed stuff rises because it has the license, while many very cool and unique sets languish in the pits. Some of the things that hit 10k are ugly as hell, but they only got there because they rode on the IP. But, there are some fantastic looking sets based on IPs. Just look at Wetwired's Ghostbusters project.

At the same time, it is nice because it gives IPs that might not ever see an actual LEGO set come out. Just look at the DeLorean. It is a double edged sword. I like seeing sets from IPs that never got them, but I also want to see some cool standalone ideas flourish. Just look at the Western Modular Town.

And this may seem hypocritical, but I am toying with ideas for a small set that has to do with an IP that has never had (and honestly, will probably never get) a LEGO release, and I want to put it up on CUUSOO. More to test the waters of it.

EDIT:

See, these are fantastic. I love the squirrel, holy wow.

And I guess I've got no major issue with IP's, I think it's just the bandwagon ones that bother me. That's why things like Ghostbuster's don't bother me.

secret rob

Neo Member
Though my local Walmart had the Malevolence on clearance, it was only marked down to $98. Not much of a discount. Hoping since they had about 40 of them on the shelf, they will drop price soon.

Eh. Too much Dol Guldur, even though it would give us Radagast and Galadriel. Also, do we even know that's happening in this movie?

Mirkwood Elf Army... I don't see it. It would be Spider Escape minus dwarves minus spiders plus more elves.

Also, that set list would give us NO dwarves except Thorin in LTC. No Smaug. No Beorn. No chance. Maybe if a few sets are missing, but even then it's lopsided.

First, great work on it - nice looking model with some very "LEGO-esque" touches. Simple yet satisfying design!

Second, CUUSOO is, on the majority, a massive circle jerk. Seriously, Minecraft and FTL? I mean, I don't mind either as an IP, but as a LEGO set, it's sort of a bummer. While I initially felt that Minecraft LEGO was neat (because it DOES introduce folks to the microscale building concept, which I love), it's such a joke of a concept.

FTL is even worse - a bunch of mini spaceships? Don't they already produce mini spaceships in the Star Wars line? I mean, there's nothing about it that, to me, screams "unique". There are some fantastic looking modular buildings, displays, and fun ideas all over CUUSOO, but seeing hyper-popular shows and video games get the 10k supporter badge before others is bothersome to me.

Even though wetwired's design is still a major IP, it's got an INCREDIBLY iconic look to it, and it's very unique in it's style. But if you held up an FTL ship and a Star Wars ship, I would be hard pressed to tell the difference...Well, I may be able to tell, but a younger LEGO builder probably doesn't notice or care. It's just more tiny ships.

I'm sure we've all had our moments when it comes to CUUSOO and what it really is, and I guess this is just another one of mine. As a whole, I think CUUSOO is a really neat idea. I think that TLG is likely using it to glean some neat ideas for future sets and themes themselves (not just the 10k+ ones), too. Which is smart. Maybe they'll be able to notice sets that really have some potential due to their unique design or aesthetic. Maybe.

I realize the reason behind these major video games and franchises hitting crazy support...Kids might google, "Pokemon LEGO" or "Mario LEGO" or whatever. And that's fine. And as soon as someone who creates a CUUSOO project for these various IP's posts it, they probably flock to every major message board they can find and advertise it. And really, that's fine - it's advertising. I just wish there were more ways for someone to put up a neat project and get support.

OK, I'm done bitching about CUUSOO. I really do hope wetwired's project hits 10k! I don't really care about Ghostbuster's, but if this gets made, I'll definitely buy one to support you!

I can understand that line of thinking, but to me that filtering of the "popular vs not-popular" themes is the entire point of CUUSOO. Sure there may be very cool stuff on there such as those pianos, but if they're not popular enough to even raise the 10,000 votes of support why should Lego spend time and money on producing sets to sell? Lego has to be assured that anything it ends up making into a real set well sell enough to cover the expense and hopefully even break a profit. So while niche sets may be cool, they just don't have the audience needed. It can be argued that yes, CUUSOO votes don't represent the entire audience a product would have and that such niche sets as that piano may do better on the market than it would seem, but Lego doesn't seem prepared to take such risks.

On a personal note I really love the mini FTL spaceships and hope they actually do get made. Don't see why Star Wars has to be the only spaceships Lego has, the more the merrier! Lots of people like spaceships, after all. Just because you don't care for them doesn't mean there's not a lot of people out there who do want them, as evidenced by the votes. *shrugs*

(Someone should totally make a Star Citizen CUUSOO, I want a Lego Constellation!)

wetwired

IPs are pretty much a short cut to getting your creation to 10k, take a look at the low vote count of the other 5 creations of mine on Cuusoo for a real eye opener, I feel those are just as strong if not stronger than the tumbler/ghostbusters ones but the nostalgia/instant recognition wins out every time.

Same thing is happening on Kickstarter, the most successful ones are building on an existing IP or developers reputation so the end user has a quick "in" to the submissions.

I don't really know how you can fix it though, how many non-Lego news sites reported on the Back to the Future Lego set release? and then compare that to how many reported on the Mars rover?

shadow29

Neo Member
There is no real fix. While non-IPs tend to be cool sometimes, it just doesnt resonate. I mean, Ghostbusters and BTTF holds an extra spot in peoples minds, in addtion to being Lego. So since it hits on two fronts, it'll be more likely to be voted on.

Though at the same time it can be a hinderance if its not done well, or the IP in question will never be done. Any Robotech set won't be done becuase of Harmony Gold. They really suck and it pains me to see how they pretty much ruin a franchise they don't deserve to have. So its kinda pointless to vote for those sets despite some of them being really good (All 3 modes tranformation in one set? Awesome. Also probably outta my league to make on my own)

I really like when they bank! Can you make banking upward pointing ones?

I have been trying to figure it out and keep it stable. I could probably pull it off pretty easily. Just add the curved Technic slopes at the back to act as a cradle and then elevate the cradle at the angle of climb.

I do not have enough technic beams to pull it off for all right now though. But the banking motion is my favorite position for the planes. I might redo the Sopwith Camel stand to make it bank, but it would have to be a very tall stand.

Ponn

Banned
Joining the BttF pic parade

lV3eF77.jpg

Who did this? *incognitis whistling*

GQrlvMb.jpg

Where we're going, we don't need chimichangas.

You were right. It looks MUCH better pointing up. It does not feel as stable on the stand, but it looks leagues better now.

Your stands are awesome. Every time I try to make a technic-based stand I end up with a monstrosity the size of the ship it is supposed to support.

I have to say I prefer the Quinjet pointing down...it's one of the few ships that seems to be well targeted to non-traditional orientations.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
IPs are pretty much a short cut to getting your creation to 10k, take a look at the low vote count of the other 5 creations of mine on Cuusoo for a real eye opener, I feel those are just as strong if not stronger than the tumbler/ghostbusters ones but the nostalgia/instant recognition wins out every time.

Same thing is happening on Kickstarter, the most successful ones are building on an existing IP or developers reputation so the end user has a quick "in" to the submissions.

I don't really know how you can fix it though, how many non-Lego news sites reported on the Back to the Future Lego set release? and then compare that to how many reported on the Mars rover?

No, you're right - and I would agree that there is no real "fix" for it. I guess the best that can come of some of the more unique projects on CUUSOO would be inspiration for us builders!

Your stands are awesome. Every time I try to make a technic-based stand I end up with a monstrosity the size of the ship it is supposed to support.

I have to say I prefer the Quinjet pointing down...it's one of the few ships that seems to be well targeted to non-traditional orientations.
A few Star Wars UCS stands and you learn a bit. Quinjet stand still needs a bit of reinforcement in my opinion. Good thing about current one is I just have to flip it around to change the orientation of the jet. No real build changes needed.

Perhaps a Sith Fury stand is in order...

frogg609

My wife supports my addiction fully, she got me this as a surprise/early Christmas present:

f628a8e6ffdb11e2b8a622000a1fbdb1_7.jpg

Slowly building the Quinjet from my backlog, but may have to bump this up to top billing after it's done. :)

R-User!

It's funny.... I would actually like to see what the Quinjet looks like floating perfectly horizontal about 3-5 inches off the ground so that from above it would look like it's hovering ala The Harrier... (or as tall as can be stable; though the taller you go the more gaudy the stand looks -depending of the "sleekness" of the stand-).

I think that's because I think of the Harrier from MGS 2 when I think of the Quinjet... Sort of.

It's funny.... I would actually like to see what the Quinjet looks like floating perfectly horizontal about 3-5 inches off the ground so that from above it would look like it's hovering ala The Harrier... (or as tall as can be stable; though the taller you go the more gaudy the stand looks -depending of the "sleekness" of the stand-).

I think that's because I think of the Harrier from MGS 2 when I think of the Quinjet... Sort of.
The Harrier is what I was thinking of when I initially made the stand at a downward angle.

R-User!

The Harrier is what I was thinking of when I initially made the stand at a downward angle.

Yeah, I just always associate the Harrier with the full flat horizontal position because of the ingrainment of the images of MGS2's reveal, as well as True Lies. :) did you try making a "flat" stand?

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
My haul that was waiting for me on the porch when I got home yesterday.
9465672822_b81c0d3f84_c.jpg

Put the Delorean together last night. It is nice to look at when it is complete, but I didn't really enjoy the build. Also the "windshield" piece coming up from the hood pisses me off. I thought they were connected to the roof. Not being connected just seems cheap and like a cop out. I also thought the black exhaust parts on the back where minifig legs which would have been cool. They are not and the flat 2x2 under those pieces is fragile. I like the look of the set but I feel like they could have done so much better.

9465673628_42444d6016_c.jpg

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
My wife supports my addiction fully, she got me this as a surprise/early Christmas present:

f628a8e6ffdb11e2b8a622000a1fbdb1_7.jpg

Slowly building the Quinjet from my backlog, but may have to bump this up to top billing after it's done. :)

This set has been a REAL treat. The build is crazy cool (although I don't own the 4x4 Crawler, so I can't compare), and I love all the PF.

Also, it sounds like there's a general consensus on BttF being mediocre. Is that the case?

This set has been a REAL treat. The build is crazy cool (although I don't own the 4x4 Crawler, so I can't compare), and I love all the PF.

Also, it sounds like there's a general consensus on BttF being mediocre. Is that the case?

I love love love love love my DeLorean, but I can see why some people would be disappointed. It's definitely a set for display, not for touching.

It does seem a little like that, doesn't it?

While I'm sure there are plenty of better, sturdier builds out there than the Delorean, I think I'm going to find it incredibly difficult to not love the absolute crap out of it, purely for what it is: an OFFICIAL LEGO SET of arguably the best movie trilogy ever, possibly my favourite movies ever and definitely the defining movies of my childhood. How can that not put a smile on your face?

To think that something as rad as Cuusoo even exists to allow a multi-billion dollar company to collaborate with its fans is just too damn cool.

Top Bottom