• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO GAF |OT2|: Building Dreams. Demolishing Wallets

Also, it sounds like there's a general consensus on BttF being mediocre. Is that the case?

I don't think so, no.

I've only built the 1st version, but I love it. It's a stylish (if somewhat primitive) rendition of a vehicle that everybody my age loved as a kid. The figures are terrific and the printed tiles are just fun.

It's instantly recognizable, and is definitely one of the few sets I have that I will not disassemble for parts.

rallaren

Joining the BttF pic parade

http://i.imgur.com/lV3eF77.jpg[IMG]

Who did this? *incognitis whistling*

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/GQrlvMb.jpg[IMG]

Where we're going, we don't need chimichangas.[/QUOTE]
Some good play right there.

[quote="El Pescado, post: 75336215"]I love love love love love my DeLorean, but I can see why some people would be disappointed. It's definitely a set for display, not for touching.[/QUOTE]
It should have been bigger or have a light brick feature or both obviously.

I know it's a 3in1!

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
It does seem a little like that, doesn't it?

Yeah, it does. I don't own it and won't be buying it. BUT - what I've read around the internet is that it's "just OK". Maybe it's just those who are only somewhat pleased by the set that are speaking up.

I don't think so, no.

I've only built the 1st version, but I love it. It's a stylish (if somewhat primitive) rendition of a vehicle that everybody my age loved as a kid. The figures are terrific and the printed tiles are just fun.

It's instantly recognizable, and is definitely one of the few sets I have that I will not disassemble for parts.

Well yeah, it's definitely an iconic piece. I imagine most folks will let it sit for display/conversation. But I've just noticed folks being a bit bummed about the overall design/construction of the piece. A fine end-product and display, but nothing to write home about otherwise.

This brings up a point of interest for me...wetwired may be able to give us some insight when his design passes. ;)

I'm curious as to how much change occurs from the CUUSOO design to the final design. If wetwired's design makes it through review, it would be very interesting to see the change from original design to final product.

Ponn

Banned
Also, it sounds like there's a general consensus on BttF being mediocre. Is that the case?

It's frustrating and i'm actually a bit surprised Lego released it with the build as it is Someone picked it up off my desk yesterday at work to look at it and pieces started falling off immediately. I cannot put in or take out a fig from the seat without having to completely rebuild the roof, door and "windshield" assembly. Those back thruster things keep popping off easily too.

Basically like everyone is saying, great display piece but put a Do Not Touch sign in front of it.

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
My haul that was waiting for me on the porch when I got home yesterday.
9465672822_b81c0d3f84_c.jpg

Put the Delorean together last night. It is nice to look at when it is complete, but I didn't really enjoy the build. Also the "windshield" piece coming up from the hood pisses me off. I thought they were connected to the roof. Not being connected just seems cheap and like a cop out. I also thought the black exhaust parts on the back where minifig legs which would have been cool. They are not and the flat 2x2 under those pieces is fragile. I like the look of the set but I feel like they could have done so much better.

9465673628_42444d6016_c.jpg

Quoted for second page.

A man, who does not exist.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pyAd2qjLWKU&feature=youtube_gdata_player

A man, has created a Technic K.I.T.T..

It has these features:

Steering

Scanner

Actuated rear axle

3-Speed Gearbox + Reverse
--look at the video to see this... Wow!--
Super Pursuit Mode

Convertible Mode (C-Button)

Working Flip-up headlights

Steering "Wheel" turns with the steering

Rear Suspension

T-Top

Doors can be opened
-----

This is so cool!

Pretty damn awesome. Love the t-top, headlights, steering, pursuit mode, and scanner (of course).

I can admire the work it took to create the three speed gearbox with reverse, but KITT had an automatic transmission. There also was never a convertible version of KITT.

Great MOC though!

I'm curious as to how much change occurs from the CUUSOO design to the final design. If wetwired's design makes it through review, it would be very interesting to see the change from original design to final product.

I think they try to make it look as close as possible to the product that won the votes, but still do it using readily available pieces or try to get piece counts down to acceptable levels. That is what I think happened with the BTTF car. I am sure if they did the completely redid the design themselves at LEGO, it would be more more stable. But then, it would not look much like the techniques pulled off by the project starter that won all the votes. There were some modifications, but I do not think they strayed too much from it.

When (not if), Wetwired's Ghostbusters vehicle passes 10k, and if it does actually become a set, I expect some changes.
I would put money on their not being lights on the official release, as cool as it would be.

Quoted for second page.

Looking forward to hearing your impressions on the Silver Mine.

As am I.

R-User!

Pretty damn awesome. Love the t-top, headlights, steering, pursuit mode, and scanner (of course).

I can admire the work it took to create the three speed gearbox with reverse, but KITT had an automatic transmission. There also was never a convertible version of KITT.

Great MOC though!

Wasn't there a convertible mode during the later seasons... :/ or, at least in one episode?

It's frustrating and i'm actually a bit surprised Lego released it with the build as it is Someone picked it up off my desk yesterday at work to look at it and pieces started falling off immediately. I cannot put in or take out a fig from the seat without having to completely rebuild the roof, door and "windshield" assembly. Those back thruster things keep popping off easily too.

Basically like everyone is saying, great display piece but put a Do Not Touch sign in front of it.

I mentioned yesterday that I was disappointed hearing a lot of these comments. I haven't opened mine yet, but I assumed that Lego would improve the design set out in the cuusoo. I'm sure they could've made it work. Kind of puts me of buying other cuusoo models if they aren't going to iron out the kinks and release them half-heartedly.

Wasn't there a convertible mode during the later seasons... :/ or, at least in one episode?

Dang, you're right!

Convertible Roof
Added fourth season, by pressing the "C" button on KITT's dash, Michael could bring the top down and KITT became a convertible. First used in Episode #70, "Knight of the Juggernaut, Part II".

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
Looking forward to hearing your impressions on the Silver Mine.

Silver Mine was put into the back log. It will be a set I out together after we close on our house and I get everything moved in and have a LEGO room setup all to my self. The only thing I am building right now is small sets. I will post my impressions on all the sets I complete when I get moved and settled. It probably will be late September/early October. I have about 20 sets in my backlog now I think.

Jimbro72

Bought today. Not my best steal but hey, why not. Needed those minifigs. Maybe I can make some custom ents from the other parts.

What the...? How, and why, is this set already being put on clearance at that store? I don't understand that decision. Nice pickup for you, though. I wish my local stores would mark down new sets like that.

I mentioned yesterday that I was disappointed hearing a lot of these comments. I haven't opened mine yet, but I assumed that Lego would improve the design set out in the cuusoo. I'm sure they could've made it work. Kind of puts me of buying other cuusoo models if they aren't going to iron out the kinks and release them half-heartedly.

The original Cuusoo build also has the same inherent issues. It's simply impossible to have the gull wing doors open and close and be more stable at that scale. There are a lot of tradeoffs in terms of looks, functionality, and stability (just to name a few of the factors involved).

I like mine. I swoosh mine all the time with wheels in hover mode of course. Once you are aware of the frailties they are easier to avoid. That said, there definitely are frail points which pretty much involve the doors and roof when placing a minfigure in or removing one. Even being careful, they will eventually fall apart.

I'm interested to see someone have a mod that eliminates these issues and still have the same features and look (or even better look).

Rootbeer

Banned
Nice. And that is a shockingly new set to get put on clearance. Was the box damaged or something?
Nope it is in totally pristine condition!

What the...? How, and why, is this set already being put on clearance at that store? I don't understand that decision. Nice pickup for you, though. I wish my local stores would mark down new sets like that.

I've seen it a lot at this Target near me. It's not the first 2013 in recent weeks this discounted there. Needless to say I try to stop in often.

What continent are you on? Antarctica?

We're spoiled here in the US with LEGO prices being very inexpensive compared to the rest of the world. Even Canada has a big markup compared to US. I believe he's in Sweden or something.

As for the clearance on new sets, I've seen that a few times. I don't know the store's criteria, but it's up the each stores manager of that dept on how they use their clearance money. They'll eventually get more sets of the same, but they'll be back to MSRP.

EDIT: Confession. I bought a lot of Mega Bloks Warcraft sets for 50-70% off. Couldn't resist.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
We're spoiled here in the US with LEGO prices being very inexpensive compared to the rest of the world. Even Canada has a big markup compared to US. I believe he's in Sweden or something.

As for the clearance on new sets, I've seen that a few times. I don't know the store's criteria, but it's up the each stores manager of that dept on how they use their clearance money. They'll eventually get more sets of the same, but they'll be back to MSRP.

EDIT: Confession. I bought a lot of Mega Bloks Warcraft sets for 50-70% off. Couldn't resist.

My friend text me a few months back apologizing for this, haha. He also bought the Halo ones.

Straight talk time - I've considered it if I could get them for crazy cheap. Mostly because they DO look cool. It's sad that LEGO didn't get either license though. Would have sold like MAD.

ghostmind

I had 1 set given to me. I wasn't expecting Lego quality, but damn are Mega Blocks shit. The plastic feels so cheap.

Quality control seems to be pretty bad as well - JANGBRICKS has been getting into the HALO sets and it seems that every other video has missing, broken or incorrect parts.

Quality control seems to be pretty bad as well - JANGBRICKS has been getting into the HALO sets and it seems that every other video has missing, broken or incorrect parts.

Thanks again for linking to Lego Jang / Jang Bricks. His videos are tremendous. Haven't watched any of the off-brand reviews yet.

Ponn

Banned
Bought today. Not my best steal but hey, why not. Needed those minifigs. Maybe I can make some custom ents from the other parts.

I LOVE this set. My big surprise set from LoTR 2nd wave, didnt want from previews and did complete 180 during build. Great pieces, fun build, looks elegant displayed.

Looked a bit more at FBTB and their whining about the SDCC raffle.

Official Response from LEGO:

LEGO said:
"Regarding the SDCC minifigure raffle, we can assure you that, contrary to the speculation, the giveaway was in no way rigged or predetermined. After several years at SDCC where minifigure giveaways have left room for improvement, we did implement a new system this year, which was then adapted at the request of the SDCC organizers. Many of the things that are being discussed online about the manner in which we conducted the raffle are not based in fact.

We acknowledge and regret that there were crowd control issues on Thursday, but those were rectified, and the new process for the raffle ran smoothly for the remainder of the show. We did not distribute specific tickets to specific consumers, nor did we favor children over adults. The raffle was managed randomly in an attempt to be as equitable as possible so that the largest possible audience at the show had a fair chance to win. We are unable to control who wins, and we have no interest in a pre-determined outcome. Our goal is to offer a limited edition collectible to as many fans as possible in a fair and equitable manner. Given the nature of a limited edition giveaway, we understand that fans may be disappointed with the results. We are equally disappointed that there is an audience who receive limited edition figures and then sell them at a premium online; this is not in our interest, nor is it the intention of our activity at SDCC.

It is unfortunate that fan disappointment is manifesting in a proliferation of misinformation about our intentions and/or the manner in which we conducted the raffle. We have worked hard over the years to improve our SDCC raffles and we always seek to learn by doing. As we consider future plans, we will carefully review this year’s experience and the valuable feedback that our fan community shares, in order to continuously deliver a positive brand experience."

FBTB follow up post:
FBTB said:
bumbo.png

I had a whole thing written up before LEGO contacted me and sent me their official response. I decided to write this post anew and save some of my rantings for a response in the forum thread.

Their response isn’t much of a surprise. OF COURSE they would deny any wrong doing because to admit otherwise, assuming we are right, would be worse. It reads like your standard PR response and for some people that won’t change their minds in the least. It’s hard to change someone’s mind once they’re convinced of something.

I do want to give LEGO credit for reaching out and having a talk with me. I truly believe that my conversation with PR was genuine and honest as can be, meaning I believe the person I talked to when he/she said that no shenanigans took place. I also believe we both came away with a better understanding of the other side. However, I still have my doubts which I’ll get into in the forum thread.

I do want to take this opportunity to address some things that the community has raised.

Firstly, is targeting kids a bad thing? No, not at all. But be up front about it. Azog was a targetted effort and no one’s complaining about that method. People are only complaining about the severe limited numbers with Azog.

And secondly, are we whining? Yes, possibly a little bit. But I think there’s an overall misunderstanding in why this is even an issue. It isn’t about not getting the exclusives, it’s about having our time wasted and I’m pretty sure THAT is something we can all relate to. Let’s pretend that the minifigures were given away first come first serve. You wouldn’t hear a peep from anyone other than those who believe that the whole idea of an exclusive is stupid but that’s another topic for another time. With first come first serve, you show up to the booth and either you get one and you walk away happy, or you don’t and you walk away disappointed. And then you have the rest of the day to enjoy Comic Con. It’s very different than waiting in line for hours and feeling like hours of your time are being intentionally wasted and having ZERO chance of winning. Let me try and put this another way using a more universally understood analogy. You know the DMV? You ever go there without an appointment and how you have to sit and wait for hours before your ticket gets called up? That is far more enjoyable and productive than a rigged raffle. With the DMV, you will walk away with your license/license plate/renewal/state id or whatever it is you went there for. With a rigged raffle, you wait for hours, not able to do much of anything else except get sunburned, and walk away with nothing. Put another way, you ever play in a game where the opponent or the game master was cheating? Was that enjoyable for you? No one likes a cheat.

And if you still don’t get why this is a valid topic worth discussing, then I don’t know what else to say.

That’s all I can think of for now. I have one last post to offer suggestions on how to improve things for next time.

To be continued…

Boohoo, they didn't get their precious $1000 Ebay sale/super-OCD completionist urge satisfied and it's all Lego's fault. Suck it up and buy the $20 set Azog will come in this Christmas.

Fandoms... sometimes I'm ashamed to be a part of one.

At one point I was going to write my less-than-positive remarks about this... content.

Instead I have chosen to simply shake my head and walk away.

I had just walked away, but saw it on their front page. I went there to see if there was any random news and just cringed when I saw the multi part article. Ugh.

Jimbro72

At one point I was going to write my less-than-positive remarks about this... content.

Instead I have chosen to simply shake my head and walk away.

My favorite part is him claiming they are possibly whining "a little bit" but yet he spends an entire week writing up an entire 4 part conspiracy theory as to why he got screwed out of one. I'm sorry, but when you spend that much time and write that many words on the subject, you're far past whining "a little bit" about the matter.

Top Bottom