• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO GAF |OT2|: Building Dreams. Demolishing Wallets

At one point I was going to write my less-than-positive remarks about this... content.

Instead I have chosen to simply shake my head and walk away.

I couldn't agree more.

Limited items that are in such high demand are going to make some people angry. The aftermarket for this stuff is ridiculously insane (sorry SiegfriedFM - I don't begrudge you your eBay winnings!!) and I really think that's the driver behind the bad feelings. The FBTB series feels like speculator disappointment and not much else.

So, I never really keep my desk at home clean. Tons of random papers, wrappers, mail, etc. Since I am having a party this weekend, it was high time I cleaned it off. So, for the first time in over a year, my desk is actually free of clutter. And I found a good place to keep the Sopwith Camel. It was that or Orthanc right there.

Tuvoc

So they think it was "rigged" for kids to win? Although rigging any raffle sucks I suppose it's still better than "rigging it so specific resellers (friends of those giving the tickets away) got them and could off-load them at a ridiculous price".

Still sucks, but at least a bunch of kids were made happy. They'll probably never know about such shenannigans.

I couldn't agree more.

Limited items that are in such high demand are going to make some people angry. The aftermarket for this stuff is ridiculously insane (sorry SiegfriedFM - I don't begrudge you your eBay winnings!!) and I really think that's the driver behind the bad feelings. The FBTB series feels like speculator disappointment and not much else.

It is insane, but that's no reason to not let a fool and his money part :)

All the whining is annoying though. By simply being at SDCC, he had an infinitely higher chance than me of getting it for free. He didn't, that's the nature of a lottery. Now either shut up and pay up, or realize there's something wrong with you for being compelled to buy 5 grams of plastic for $1000 just because it's arbitrarily defined as part of a certain group.

I meant that everyone should buy it.

As well they should. That was not marked down on Wednesday, but was Thursday. They still had some Malevolence sets left for $64. Jabba's Palace is still "clearance" priced at $120 or something stupid. I will be checking in there daily for that bad boy to hit the 50% off point.

And finished my Haunted House rebuild. Still the reigning king of last year, and dare I say better than everything I have bought this year too. Now to begin plotting the real estate for the Monster Fighters Halloween diorama.

wetwired

As well they should. That was not marked down on Wednesday, but was Thursday. They still had some Malevolence sets left for $64. Jabba's Palace is still "clearance" priced at $120 or something stupid. I will be checking in there daily for that bad boy to hit the 50% off point.

And finished my Haunted House rebuild. Still the reigning king of last year, and dare I say better than everything I have bought this year too. Now to begin plotting the real estate for the Monster Fighters Halloween diorama.

Haunted House rocks, did I ever share photos of my sand blue version?

Haunted House rocks, did I ever share photos of my sand blue version?

No, not that I know of. I would really like to see it. I remember your photoshop mock ups around time of release, but do not think I saw an actual model.

And yeah, it is a spectacular set. Just about perfect except for the "bag 1 issue" in the instructions.
For those wondering, the "bag 1 issue" is that all the interior details, such as the tables, lamps, desks, etc. are all built first and then set aside until you need them at some random point in the main build. And some of those details there is no indication you should add them in unless you start looking closely.
If it took the Modular approach and had you build those details when you actually needed them, this set would be flawless.

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
BUY THIS SET!

If get to a walmart or Target for some reason in the next two weeks and they actually have the set on the shelf I may pick it up. We will see.

Also Wetwired is only 28 votes from 2nd sitting at 8650 right now.

SpeedNut

Boohoo, they didn't get their precious $1000 Ebay sale/super-OCD completionist urge satisfied and it's all Lego's fault. Suck it up and buy the $20 set Azog will come in this Christmas.

Fandoms... sometimes I'm ashamed to be a part of one.

Honestly if I was LEGO I would just announce a new set and have exclusive availability there say a few weeks to a month before general street date and be done with it. Too much BS for what marketing they're trying to accomplish.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic

Finally got around to reading the SDCC stuff.

My general opinion of the entire thing, if everything that was posted is true, is that the raffle was indeed fixed to some degree. That's disappointing. I understand where the frustration comes from. It would be SUPER annoying to wait in line for something only to discover that the folks running he raffle were "hand selecting" those who won.

BUT!

On the flip side, I totally get the idea behind it. If it was indeed fixed, making sure younger kids win a majority of the figures would make sense. I mean, they are the ones who are going to enjoy that figure. An AFOL, however, would ALSO enjoy it. The problem is that (I imagine) many folks hope to get one to sell for mad cash after SDCC ends.

While I imagine a bunch of us have different opinions on the entire fiasco, one thing's for sure - limited/rare merchandise like this is stupid. As an AFOL, if I received one of those, I would probably sell it, too. Because if I can fetch $1000 for a minifig, that would have paid for my entire trip to SDCC or give me some extra spending cash on things I want.

Jimbro72

Finally got around to reading the SDCC stuff.

My general opinion of the entire thing, if everything that was posted is true, is that the raffle was indeed fixed to some degree. That's disappointing. I understand where the frustration comes from. It would be SUPER annoying to wait in line for something only to discover that the folks running he raffle were "hand selecting" those who won.

BUT!

On the flip side, I totally get the idea behind it. If it was indeed fixed, making sure younger kids win a majority of the figures would make sense. I mean, they are the ones who are going to enjoy that figure. An AFOL, however, would ALSO enjoy it. The problem is that (I imagine) many folks hope to get one to sell for mad cash after SDCC ends.

While I imagine a bunch of us have different opinions on the entire fiasco, one thing's for sure - limited/rare merchandise like this is stupid. As an AFOL, if I received one of those, I would probably sell it, too. Because if I can fetch $1000 for a minifig, that would have paid for my entire trip to SDCC or give me some extra spending cash on things I want.

That's the kicker, though, is that none of what was posted by FBTB has been proven to be true or backed up by any real evidence. It's only based on some observations by a small handful of people and then wildly speculated upon based on that. They're slinging some pretty heavy accusations LEGO's way based on speculation and assumptions.

Considering I've read on other forums of adults, without kids, winning one of these raffles, doesn't that kind of shoot their theory in the foot of "only" targeting kids to win these? To me, it still sounds like the rantings of someone butt hurt about walking away from SDCC without winning anything and can seemingly only justify that by screaming "it was rigged"!

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
That's the kicker, though, is that none of what was posted by FBTB has been proven to be true or backed up by any real evidence. It's only based on some observations by a small handful of people and then wildly speculated upon based on that. They're slinging some pretty heavy accusations LEGO's way based on speculation and assumptions.

Considering I've read on other forums of adults, without kids, winning one of these raffles, doesn't that kind of shoot their theory in the foot of "only" targeting kids to win these? To me, it still sounds like the rantings of someone butt hurt about walking away from SDCC without winning anything and can seemingly only justify that by screaming "it was rigged"!

Right, which is why my statement is completely bogus if its false. LEGO won't say it's true (if it is) for obvious reasons.

But really, they should have just done a badge scan where you could buy 1 and that's it. Produce enough for everyone who wants one to get one. Sure, scalpers gonna scalp, but I imagine the prices would be lower due to higher quantity. And also, those who really wanted one to collect and display could have gotten one.

Again, I hate limited merchandise for that reason, haha. I have a limited edition Tokyo Disney Nanoblock Cinderella Castle that I paid $300 for. It was sold to folks who were randomly chosen to be able to buy it. They made like, 10,000 of the set. I needed it because my wife and I love Disney, but man...Make cool shit available to everyone and you solve the problem of bitterness. :p

Again, I hate limited merchandise for that reason, haha. I have a limited edition Tokyo Disney Nanoblock Cinderella Castle that I paid $300 for.

I had no idea what those words meant strung together like that. Very cool! I have never heard of this.

35.jpg

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I had no idea what those words meant strung together like that. Very cool! I have never heard of this.

35.jpg

Apparently it was only 3,000 made! I've opened it, but haven't put it together yet. But these are the sorts of things that, while being totally awesome, are a bitch to deal with.

Just received my 41999 Limited Edition Crawler last night. For those that have not seen it in person, the box is ridiculously beautiful!! Shiny (as Mal would say).

SpeedNut

Yeah my LE Crawler showed up last night, however my Delorean and pack-in did not. Crawler showed as backorder but for some reason they delayed the Delorean and pack-in until Monday, then the LE shipped later that day in a separate box. FedEx SmartPost says Saturday for the Delorean :/

secret rob

Neo Member
Though my local Walmart had the Malevolence on clearance, it was only marked down to $98. Not much of a discount. Hoping since they had about 40 of them on the shelf, they will drop price soon.

Went again today and they were still marked $98. Went ahead and grabbed one and scanned it with a price scanner and it came up $64.

Thanks for the heads up on the discount.

35.jpg

Nanoblocks seems to have become quite popular. It's much cheaper than LEGO and the builds (appearance) are appealing just like the old blocky builds LEGO used to make in sets (still do, but rarely). It's so hard now to find basic LEGO block sets nowadays.

I thought Nanoblocks were 1:1 ratio, but they are almost the same aspect ratios as LEGO. Nanoblocks are very slightly more square. Nanoblock width to height ratios are 0.80 vs LEGO ratio of 0.83.

I think I'm gonna work on a nice LEGO math chart.

neonglow

Nanoblocks seems to have become quite popular. It's much cheaper than LEGO and the builds (appearance) are appealing just like the old blocky builds LEGO used to make in sets (still do, but rarely). It's so hard now to find basic LEGO block sets nowadays.

I thought Nanoblocks were 1:1 ratio, but they are almost the same aspect ratios as LEGO. Nanoblocks are very slightly more square. Nanoblock width to height ratios are 0.80 vs LEGO ratio of 0.83.

Nanoblocks are nice but my thumbs hurt after putting a set together. My thumbs also hurt after building a Technic set with all those pins.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic

I have a very very large collection of Nanoblocks. Like, huge. But I like their simplicity in design - they don't have a large collection of "special" blocks like LEGO. But that being said, LEGO offers things like Technic and interiors (for playability). You don't get that with Nanoblocks.

I have a very very large collection of Nanoblocks. Like, huge. But I like their simplicity in design - they don't have a large collection of "special" blocks like LEGO. But that being said, LEGO offers things like Technic and interiors (for playability). You don't get that with Nanoblocks.

Nanoblocks is definitely filling the simplicity void LEGO is moving away from.

2012 and 2010 set. Browsing brickset you see there's less and less of "Bricks and more" sets over the years. They also add less blocky pieces.

While at Target, I saw the new Star Wars store display. It features 48 minifigures in the case.

I am envious. I want the Middle-earth franchise to be huge like that and receive 48 new characters in one go. I want figures of damn near everyone.

I'm also rather happy it's not like that, because it would be crazy expensive for me :D

I am envious. I want the Middle-earth franchise to be huge like that and receive 48 new characters in one go. I want figures of damn near everyone.

I'm also rather happy it's not like that, because it would be crazy expensive for me :D
I am fine with the amount of releases of LOTR sets. Easier to complete a series with it.

I am fine with the amount of releases of LOTR sets. Easier to complete a series with it.

Well, yes, but there's also the fear that it'll just drop off once The Hobbit is done, before some iconic figures are made. But I just really want the balrog and Eowyn to be made, after that either way is fine.

Well, yes, but there's also the fear that it'll just drop off once The Hobbit is done, before some iconic figures are made. But I just really want the balrog and Eowyn to be made, after that either way is fine.
Oh, I want tons of figures too. And Eowyn would be awesome. Lots of costume choices too.

My problem with nano blocks is the design of the underside of them, as they don't line into place (you can slide a 1x1 along the length of a 4x1). This makes you need to constantly adjust patterns, or leave an unstable arrangement.

The first nanoblock set I got was the elephant and it had me cursing because I had to fiddle around to get everything lined up, only to dislodge a section when I applied to much pressure in the wrong place.

Ponn

Banned

Will not be complete without a flaming Denethor. Need to make some use for those stupid catapults.

lego-rental-service.jpg

Why is the Falcon a mirror image? That looks so many kinds of wrong.

Forget that, no charge for lost pieces.... time to get that dish and engine rigging and lose them.........???

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
lego-rental-service.jpg

Forget that, no charge for lost pieces.... time to get that dish and engine rigging and lose them.........???

Yea this will end well....

lego-rental-service.jpg

I recall seeing this awhile ago. It's still going?

Seems costs prohibitive. Shipping costs, dismantling, and cleaning would eat into the business profits. For a buyer, seems like buying the sets then selling them would be cheaper.

$49/ month is almost $600 a year! Someone could buy 5-6 $100 sets a year if they waited for sales.

I can now swap out Mega Blok pieces for LEGO pieces. :)

My Target had the new huge display case as well. Cool thing. They also moved the lego aisle onto a bigger and wider aisle, and removed the Friends/Spongebob/Duplo sets from the aisle to join some more alike their own(Barbies/Girls aisle for Friends, Spongebob and Duplo went to toddler stuff), making more room for more sets.

They had a ton out there that my Target hasn't had yet. Like Helms Deep, The Malevolence, and some other large $100+ sets. They have never had those here so I am almost wondering if they always had them in stock in the back and are trying to get rid of them at full price, otherwise they'll start clearance'ing them out soon.

Seeing Helms Deep in person is a treat though for sure. Makes me want to get into LOTR stuff. But I'd rather just stick with Batman/City/Star Wars stuff. It's easier on the wallet
KuGsj.gif

ghostmind

Canadians!

Chapters Indigo has a new promotion for 25% off one item, in-store or online. Free shipping over $25.

For online orders, use promo code 25OFFONEBTS

Top Bottom