• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO GAF |OT2|: Building Dreams. Demolishing Wallets

No official confirmation yet, but I've heard it from a couple sources, and GRogall is stating it as well on Eurobricks, so it sounds like it will be happening.

I got more birthday money than anticipated, and Wednesday is the final day of vacation. Might have to drive to get one of them. My wife WILL kill me.

ghostmind

Hrmmm...

I've been sizing up my basement as my new LEGO build and display area, and even with all that additional space, I am going to run out quickly unless I change my plans.

I want to display most of my Star Wars sets, and my LotR sets - as a minimum.

It would be nice to be able to show off the Superheo sets and at least some of the other licensed themes (or maybe have one or two spots to rotate licenses in & out).

However, I can't do that and build a LEGO city as well - not in the size I would need. Once I decide on a theme, I buy that entire theme (that is currently available at least) - that's just how I roll.

So I may have to abandon the CITY idea, which may also result in me focussing on mainly getting the licensed sets going forward.

Decisions, decisions...

Hrmmm...

I've been sizing up my basement as my new LEGO build and display area, and even with all that additional space, I am going to run out quickly unless I change my plans.

I want to display most of my Star Wars sets, and my LotR sets - as a minimum.

It would be nice to be able to show off the Superheo sets and at least some of the other licensed themes (or maybe have one or two spots to rotate licenses in & out).

However, I can't do that and build a LEGO city as well - not in the size I would need. Once I decide on a theme, I buy that entire theme (that is currently available at least) - that's just how I roll.

So I may have to abandon the CITY idea, which may also result in me focussing on mainly getting the licensed sets going forward.

Decisions, decisions...

If you're looking for input, I vote to exile all but the greatest of the star wars stuff to a closet somewhere and display other themes.

mrkgoo

It is still $120 at my wal mart. Will be checking daily for a drop.

Jabba's palace retails for NZ$249 ~ US$200 :( :( :(

Fortunately I have one, given to me as a gift! :) :)

It's not that great a set, though :( :( :(

And the Rancor pit is hugely expensive for what it is, so hopefully it will go on crazy clearance, because I mean, no-one will buy it at that price. I saw one place selling Rancor pit for NZ$220! Thats ~US$175.

ghostmind

If you're looking for input, I vote to exile all but the greatest of the star wars stuff to a closet somewhere and display other themes.

Yep, I am looking for input/opinions.

I've got over 100 Star Wars sets (with only a few "repeats"), and most of them have been sitting in boxes or bags in storage for a while now, so I would like to get them out, build them and display them. Especially with the SW franchise picking up steam soon.

I guess one option would be to only show the most-impressive/well-designed sets from each theme, like Orthanc and Helm's Deep, the two PotC pirate ships, the Silver Mine, The Quinjet, Arkham, etc.

I've got over 100 Star Wars sets (with only a few "repeats"), and most of them have been sitting in boxes or bags in storage for a while now, so I would like to get them out, build them and display them. Especially with the SW franchise picking up steam soon.

Well damn. Create a rotation of 20 at a time you change out every so often? It's pretty startling that you have room to consider displaying all of those, let alone more themes besides.

Or build cleverer stands for ships so they can be crammed vertically on one surface?

Though, honest truth, I said "display fewer star wars sets" not because I knew your collection was huge, but out of personal theme preference. The death star is pretty much the only star wars set that excites me currently. I find scenes and buildings way more exciting than ships.

Jimbro72

I guess one option would be to only show the most-impressive/well-designed sets from each theme, like Orthanc and Helm's Deep, the two PotC pirate ships, the Silver Mine, The Quinjet, Arkham, etc.

That's not a bad option, as to try to display everything, would take an immense amount of room, as I've found out. I do like your idea of having some spots/shelves be on a rotating display schedule. I think I may end up doing that, too, once I clear enough space in my room and figure out things a bit more. As far as the SW stuff goes, you could always just display the newest version (or maybe two, tops) of certain ships. That may help as they continue to rehash vehicles over and over for the time being. Buy the newest, take apart and pack up the older one. As much as I liked seeing the progression of the design, of say, the 3 different versions of the Sith Infiltrator sitting side by side, I don't really need all of them displayed at once when that space can be used for other, newer sets.

ghostmind

That's not a bad option, as to try to display everything, would take an immense amount of room, as I've found out. I do like your idea of having some spots/shelves be on a rotating display schedule. I think I may end up doing that, too, once I clear enough space in my room and figure out things a bit more. As far as the SW stuff goes, you could always just display the newest version (or maybe two, tops) of certain ships. That may help as they continue to rehash vehicles over and over for the time being. Buy the newest, take apart and pack up the older one. As much as I liked seeing the progression of the design, of say, the 3 different versions of the Sith Infiltrator sitting side by side, I don't really need all of them displayed at once when that space can be used for other, newer sets.

True, I don't need to keep multiple versions of the same vehicle, save for maybe the walking AT-AT.

One thing I was thinking was setting up vignettes, as I'm going with large tables more than shelves. I could have a section for Endor, one for Tatooine, another for Hoth, etc, etc, and group all the related sets together.

Jimbro72

True, I don't need to keep multiple versions of the same vehicle, save for maybe the walking AT-AT.

One thing I was thinking was setting up vignettes, as I'm going with large tables more than shelves. I could have a section for Endor, one for Tatooine, another for Hoth, etc, etc, and group all the related sets together.

Yeah, I've tried to do that a little bit, mostly just with the hoth sets but it be much easier for you working with tables than confined to shelves, like me. Why not build a second tier of display space on your tables? Cut some plywood down to size, paint it, screw on some legs and then set on the table, virtually doubling your display area.

neonglow

Mattel came out with a Hot Wheels car that is compatible with LEGO or more likely Mega Bloks. There's 2 studs on the engine, a hole on the bottom of the car and minifigure size handlebars on the side of the car.

284px-Fig_Rig-2013_080.jpg

185px-2013-080-FigRig-Red-Riders.JPG

185px-2013-080-FigRig-Red-Riders2.JPG

185px-2013-080-FigRig-Red-Bottom.JPG

http://hotwheels.wikia.com/wiki/Fig_Rig
File:2013-080-FigRig-Red-Bottom.JPG

Norfair

I picked up th F1 car and truck the other day. Overall a very nice set but nothing too new. I thought the race car itself was pretty well made. The single nose piece of the car was a little disappointing.

iYZRnIBl.jpg

secret rob

Neo Member
lego-rental-service.jpg

Why is the Falcon a mirror image? That looks so many kinds of wrong.

Forget that, no charge for lost pieces.... time to get that dish and engine rigging and lose them.........???

I was digging through their site and they don't even have the UCS Falcon. I wanted to see the price if I "lost" the set.

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
Wetwired's set is only 48 away from hitting 9k. Should be there by today!!

Jimbro72

Well, a couple weeks later than I had originally thought, but my SDCC box of goodies has finally arrived. A bit disappointing to find both seals of the Bag End set broken and the bubble of the Azog figure had a nice dent in it but still glad to have them in the collection now.

[

ghostmind

This LEGO store credit is burning a hole in my wallet... must...remain...strong...until...September!

EDIT: I'm waiting for the Sept. promos before I use it

Ponn

Banned
Put Doc Ock Ambush together today. Like the figs, really like doc ock, perfect mini fig. Really wish Iron Fist would have had some kind of attachment between the head and body to make his flap things from his mask on the back.

Stupid vehicle, the parts for the set though are really cool. Just alot of cool pieces that could be used. Baby blue, lots of clear, lots of piping type pieces. I'm actually thinking of using it to combine with the MF Crazy Scientist set to make an expanded set/scene for halloween.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
This LEGO store credit is burning a hole in my wallet... must...remain...strong...until...September!

EDIT: I'm waiting for the Sept. promos before I use it

When is the lego marvel console game out? If I don't have any particular sets I want to buy, I've sometimes bought my games from the lego store to qualify for a free polybag

wetwired

I stumbled across this site last night, http://www.minifigures.co.uk/ They do a heap of custom minifigs but with actual printed parts, some a bit dodgy but others are mighty tempting....

Evil-Spiderman-Christo-Custom-Minifigure.jpg

Cyborg-Superman-Green-Pea-Toys-Custom-Minifigure.jpg

SuperGirlGreenPeaToysCustomMinifigure.jpg

They even have some knockoffs of the SDCC exclusive, some look pretty good, some are a bit off (bizarro)

BizarroGreenPeaToysCustomMinifigure.jpg

The-Dark-Knight-Christo-Exclusive-Custom-Minifigure.jpg

ShazamGreenPeaToysCustomMinifigure.jpg

Minifigs4u-Green-Arrow-Ms.-Marvel-Human-Torch-and-Bones.jpg

The-Lantern-Corps-700.jpg

Also I just did the unthinkable, I threw out a heap of empty lego boxes, for some reason I've been hanging on to them but in reality if I was ever to sell any of those sets the box would have a negligible effect on the price. I did however keep the boxes for the modulars\haunted house as I dare say it would in those situations, smaller sets?, not so much

I've been in a cleaning mood this weekend. I threw out a bunch of old boxes for stuff I no longer have, and managed to fit my modular boxes there, as well as my disassembled Classic Pirates stuff. Also rearranged the Lego shelves a bit, packing off the CMF's I don't really like and focusing on some themes.

Once I get started on a Council of Elrond MOC, I'll also disassemble Weathertop, Black Gate and Wizard Battle but right now I just don't have room in my sorting solution :D

Hmmm... I just realized I still haven't done anything with the Motorized Excavator. Maybe I should take it apart completely and do the alt build of it.

I am visiting my in-law they have several Walmart and Target here. One Walmart have a stack of Weather Top on clearance. Also found Unexpected Gathering for $49. Strangely none of them put any Super heroes on clearances.

Also TRU are having 50% off on four LEGO set and 15% off coupon if you want to pick up stuff from TRU but dreaded the TRU tax.

pS9ogsFl.jpg

I love the new Target display for mini-figs.

vp1GSq4l.jpg

I am visiting my in-law they have several Walmart and Target here. One Walmart have a stack of Weather Top on clearance. Also found Unexpected Gathering for $49. Strangely none of them put any Super heroes on clearances.

Also TRU are having 50% off on four LEGO set and 15% off coupon if you want to pick up stuff from TRU but dreaded the TRU tax.

pS9ogsFl.jpg

vp1GSq4l.jpg

I went to a super wal-mart yesterday and the same thing... most of the sets I saw on sale at another wal-mart (mostly hobbit, a few city, and DC super hero ones) were not on sale at thi one but they had weathertop and the ones you mention only on sale... weird.

bodine1231

Looking to get back into the Lego game,any Star Wars or Modular sets I should pick up first? Anything going oop soon? Sorry havent been keeping track of things since I stopped collecting.

My weekend impulse buy;

TVGHCyb.jpg

The new SW sets have finally started appearing here in AU. These three are fantastic! Loved the builds and they look great displayed on my shelf. The Tank Droid is gorgeous - first time I've had experience with the "tank tread" pieces. They look great. As a grown man, I'm not afraid to admit, I drove the crap outta that Tank Droid all over the floor before it went up on the shelf lol

Noticed that Toys 'R Us have the Republic Dropship on "sale" too, so I'll probably try to grab that this week.

vp1GSq4l.jpg

Oh woooooooow.

Do want! I'd love something like this for my cabinet at home. Still trying to figure out a way of having all my SW minifigs on show (properly - and dust free).

ghostmind

Looking to get back into the Lego game,any Star Wars or Modular sets I should pick up first? Anything going oop soon? Sorry havent been keeping track of things since I stopped collecting.

When did you stop collecting? What do you currently have, in terms of modulars, UCS sets, exclusives?

B-Dex

So I built the "4x4 and Diving Boat" from the City theme. (Mostly because of the bright orange!) Fun little build. Took me about 25mins.

The orange really is awesome.

R-User!

connection if I used the dark grey sticks that hold the train tracks together in the train sets? They won't mount to a stud top, but they would fit into minifig hands...

Top Bottom