• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO GAF |OT2|: Building Dreams. Demolishing Wallets

Does this mean LEGO will introduce a "salmon" color brick for the house or is Simpson's house orange?

If this is true, I'm glad they are putting in most of key characters in first run. Just in case they don't make anymore set, I'll be happy with all those minifigs in the list.

Second wave to feature the school bus with Otto!

rallaren

Yes! This set is amazing and was my favorite set from 2011. It's a damn shame that Alien Conquest's second wave was cancelled.
Mark Stafford is the desiger (or one of them). Nothing compares to what he has put up here though.

He was also involved with that giant Agents truck HQ. One messy set imo but super playability.

another pic:
B0bcsFI.jpg
Pardon the cables.

Naka

Simpsons rumor time:

• Bart's Skate Trick £10 ($15) incl. Bart, Milhouse
  • Homer at the Control Panel £20 ($30) incl. Homer, Mr. Burns, Smithers
  • Lisa's Sax Performance £30 ($40) Lisa, Marge, Sherri, Terri
  • Springfield Shops £50 ($70) Bart, cashier at Krusty Burger, Krusty, Apu, Nelson
  • Simpson's House £70 ($100) Bart, Homer, Marge, Lisa, Maggie, Grandpa, Flanders, Santa's Little Helper

Remember that rumors run wild at this time of year, so large grains of salt.

Springfield shops should include Moe's Tavern with a Moe minifig. I'm guessing that since it's a bar though, that's a no no for LEGO. Maybe just throw in Moe then?

Sherri and Terri also seem odd, I would rather have Skinner and Krabappel.

To me it feels like the PT was made solely for marketing purposes. Let's cram dozens of new Jedi in it, an entirely new design of ships, despite the fact that it doesn't take place that long before the OT films, introduce numerous versions of droids as the enemy, instead of just a few different Troopers from the OT movies, make a 100 different color variations of clones so we can get the fans and collectors to by every single version of ship and clone and new Jedi available and really milk those collector dollars.

But to keep it on topic, I hope for the sake of LEGO collecting, they keep things a little more streamlined like the OT and not like the PT where there seem to have countless versions of vehicles and clones and droids for the sake of marketing. But I'm not holding my breath for that one.

Eh it really doesn't seem like it was just for the sake of marketing. It seems like george lucas was super enthusiastic about the world he'd made up and, upon getting the chance to revisit it, wanted to cram as many things into it as possible. The abundant merchandising opportunities were just a side effect.

I feel that way 'cause every time people talk about the success of the older movies they emphasize the editors/producers/ oversight that existed at the time, and that those people no longer had power over lucas when the films got bigger, so he could run wild pumping the prequels full of his imagined toys.

Plus, when he sold it I got a bit of a vibe of "I spilled all my dreams onto film and people thought it was shit." Not so much ragequitting as despair-quitting. Can't remember if this was substantiated by any actual interviews or if it was just my imagination.

But what does that mean for lego? It's a coin toss: if disney feels that tidier main films would strengthen the brand, they may save the merchandise-farming for the spinoffs. We could get a few big new iconic locations and ships out of the main films that way, and still have a hundred more settings and vehicles and characters for the off-years of lego sets.

rallaren

That looks remarkably much like Classic Space :D
Yeah they made it with some kind of old school sci-fi flavor. I didn't like it at all when I frist saw em a few months ago but this particular one grew on me when I got taste for interior details; dat coffee mug is always a plus (not because I love coffee but it looks nice).

I'm out of space for the third time! wth.

I'm hoping that if they're having another crack at grevious's wheel bike they'll probably do a new Boga to go with it? Hope so - star wars animals are cool.

I really wish they'd do a bantha set.

ghostmind

There is a claim being made on Eurobricks that the Star Wars Planets series have been cancelled, and that the sets listed are in a new format with a small-scale vehicle and a minifig. The vehicles would be larger than those with the current Planets scale.

This would line up with information that I have heard that retailers have not been happy with the Planet sets (their odd shape for stocking and shelving, and their lack of sales performance), which is why NorthAm still does not have Series 4, and that UK/Europe have had limited stock of these sets.

We won't know for certain until pictures surface...

Jimbro72

Eh it really doesn't seem like it was just for the sake of marketing. It seems like george lucas was super enthusiastic about the world he'd made up and, upon getting the chance to revisit it, wanted to cram as many things into it as possible. The abundant merchandising opportunities were just a side effect.

I feel that way 'cause every time people talk about the success of the older movies they emphasize the editors/producers/ oversight that existed at the time, and that those people no longer had power over lucas when the films got bigger, so he could run wild pumping the prequels full of his imagined toys.

Plus, when he sold it I got a bit of a vibe of "I spilled all my dreams onto film and people thought it was shit." Not so much ragequitting as despair-quitting. Can't remember if this was substantiated by any actual interviews or if it was just my imagination.

But what does that mean for lego? It's a coin toss: if disney feels that tidier main films would strengthen the brand, they may save the merchandise-farming for the spinoffs. We could get a few big new iconic locations and ships out of the main films that way, and still have a hundred more settings and vehicles and characters for the off-years of lego sets.

Maybe marketing was the wrong word. Merchandising is more like it. For example, why make clones come in only white, like they did with Stormtroopers, let's make them come in 2 dozen colors and patterns and designs, instead. Collectors will want them all and we'll make even more money off the toys!

Jimbro72

There is a claim being made on Eurobricks that the Star Wars Planets series have been cancelled, and that the sets listed are in a new format with a small-scale vehicle and a minifig. The vehicles would be larger than those with the current Planets scale.

This would line up with information that I have heard that retailers have not been happy with the Planet sets (their odd shape for stocking and shelving, and their lack of sales performance), which is why NorthAm still does not have Series 4, and that UK/Europe have had limited stock of these sets.

This would make sense as having that planet piece with it makes it more difficult to store and stack on shelves. Why not have the planet already in two pieces within the same size, or very similar size, box? You'd still get the planet and it wouldn't be this odd shape to have on their shelves. But honestly, I'd be fine without the planet, too. They take up too much display space at home. They're more like a x-mas tree ornament than anything.

Chuck

Still without luck
Did you guys know the Sydney opera house and the Ewok Village are on sale in Lego stores early to VIP members on Friday? I just found out today.

ghostmind

Did you guys know the Sydney opera house and the Ewok Village are on sale in Lego stores early to VIP members on Friday? I just found out today.

We have been talking about it, but we did not have any kind of official confirmation until now.

Thanks Chuck!

EDIT: One question for you actually - are you aware of any recent directive from TLG to the stores that they act vague or outright deny information that is presented to them by customers prior to official LEGO announcements? I'm seeing this more and more with the local store, though it may only be shady management.

EDIT2: I understand if you cannot answer my rather loaded question.

Chuck

Still without luck
We're just generally told to not talk about leaks and all that. For example I initially read the Simpsons stuff as a rumor and told my manager and she reminded me that we can't talk about that stuff. Then I said "no wait its official" and she didnt mind. We don't take a denying approach though. I would assume that your experience is just the way they manage their store. My previous store didn't really mind if we talked about rumors or leaks, but I think that's not the way it was supposed to be.

Also, they could just be misinformed and speaking out of ignorance. That also happens.

Do you have a specific example though?

ghostmind

We're just generally told to not talk about leaks and all that. For example I initially read the Simpsons stuff as a rumor and told my manager and she reminded me that we can't talk about that stuff. Then I said "no wait its official" and she didnt mind. We don't take a denying approach though. I would assume that your experience is just the way they manage their store. My previous store didn't really mind if we talked about rumors or leaks, but I think that's not the way it was supposed to be.

Also, they could just be misinformed and speaking out of ignorance. That also happens.

Do you have a specific example though?

Sent you a PM.

neonglow

If this is like the Comic-Con exclusive sets, I'd love for more of those.

SDCC032-1.jpg

CELEBVI-1.jpg

COMCON019-1.jpg

COMCON024-1.jpg

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
Only 42 votes to go!!!! It'll be done tonight no doubt.

I need to keep them by my desk...I probably have like 30 but they aren't where I need them lol

Warning though: Taking apart Jek-14's Starship is a lot tougher than it looks once you get to the lower part of the ship...

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
29 votes. Getting a vote a minute now!!!

Calm Killer

Achieved!!!! Congrats Brent!!

Hmmm well now what am I going to do....

R-User!

Achieved!!!! Congrats Brent!!

Hmmm well now what am I going to do....

Celebrate!!!

Congrats wetwired!!!

Also, I saw this last Tuesday at my local Target:
y1UoI3rl.jpg

But none of them have the Iron Patriot fig attached... I didn't ask because I didn't want to have the conversation with the staff, so I dont know of they are offering the fig with the preorder or not.

ghostmind

New revised Star Wars list from darth_tater on Eurobricks:

Battle Packs:
75034 Death Star Troopers
75035 Kashyyyk Troopers
75036 Utapau Troopers
75037 Battle on Saleucami

The new "recruitment" line:
75028 Clone Turbo Tank
75029 AAT
75030 Millennium Falcon
75031 TIE Interceptor
75032 X-Wing Fighter
75033 Imperial Star Destroyer

System Sets:
73038 Jedi Interceptor (Anakin's Yellow)
75039 V-Wing Starfighter
75040 General Grievous' Wheel Bike
75041 Vulture Droid
75042 Droid Gunship
75043 AT-AP
75044 Droid Tri-Fighter
75045 Republic AV-7 Anti-Vehicle Cannon
75046 Coruscant Police Gunship (this might be an exclusive?)

ghostmind

Battle Packs:
75035 Kashyyyk Troopers
75036 Utapau Troopers

75028 Clone Turbo Tank
75029 AAT
75030 Millennium Falcon
75031 TIE Interceptor
75032 X-Wing Fighter

System Sets:
75039 V-Wing Starfighter
75041 Vulture Droid
75042 Droid Gunship
75043 AT-AP
75044 Droid Tri-Fighter

My thoughts on these sets:

I'm really liking the fact we get 4 Battle Packs. Utapau Troopers means Commander Cody and his posse. Kashyyyk Troopers means Commander Gree and his group. Battle on Saleucami would be Commander Neyo and his team. Really glad to get the non-Clone War versions of these, as I missed out on the pre-2007 versions.

Curious to see that the only OT system set is the "Death Star Troopers" Battle Pack. REALLY surprised by that, and I wonder what the reasoning is, and what the 2nd Half of the year will bring.

Very curious to see what this "recruitment" line is all about.

For the system sets, I am dismayed to see the Droid Tri-Fighter back again, since the last one came out in 2010 and was still on shelves last year. The same for the V-wing - stores just got that one off the shelves!

The yellow Jedi Interceptor hasn't been produced since 2005, but we just had Anakin's green Interceptor in 2012.

Really glad to see Greivous' Wheel Bike is back, since the last one was in 2005. Again, I hope this means a new Boga and a new mold for Grievious.

The AT-AP, Droid Gunship and Vulture Droid are all sets I missed previously, so happy to see them.

75045 and 75046 are the only Clone Wars sets I can identify, and may be holdovers from the last season when it was suddenly cancelled.

Jimbro72

Battle Packs:
75035 Kashyyyk Troopers
75036 Utapau Troopers

75028 Clone Turbo Tank
75029 AAT
75030 Millennium Falcon
75031 TIE Interceptor
75032 X-Wing Fighter

System Sets:
75039 V-Wing Starfighter
75041 Vulture Droid
75042 Droid Gunship
75043 AT-AP
75044 Droid Tri-Fighter

Is this all of '14 sets or just the Jan assortment? Because if this only the first half of the year, holy crap this is a lot of sets to put out all at one time!

Do you think that recruitment line is the replacement for the planet sets? Those have to be mini models don't you think?

ghostmind

Is this all of '14 sets or just the Jan assortment? Because if this only the first half of the year, holy crap this is a lot of sets to put out all at one time!

Do you think that recruitment line is the replacement for the planet sets? Those have to be mini models don't you think?

I don't think LEGO supplies retailers with info on the 2H sets until December/January, so yes these are all 1H sets! Not counting the Battle Packs or Planets, there were 7 system sets in 1H 2013, and it looks like 1H 2014 has 9 sets.

Yes, the recruitment line are the replacement for the Planet Sets, if this listing is to be believed. I think neonglow may be on the right track for what they may be. I wonder if by "recruitment" they mean bringing kids into the theme, and these sets will be an easier build and a younger-focus?

Again, until we see pics none of this is confirmed.

Fowler

I kinda hate the recruitment line, because I was getting tired of the planets line and it's exactly the sort of thing to get me to buy YET ANOTHER X-WING*.

* I haven't bought the UCS Red 5 X-Wing yet, but... I so will.

Top Bottom