• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO GAF |OT2|: Building Dreams. Demolishing Wallets

A Marcos Bessa set strikes again!

The Batwing part was "meh" though. But Bessa does explain the similarities with the rope ladder on the Jokercopter and the upcoming Ewok Village.

The reminds me: If, and this is a theoretical IF, I were to only get one more set this year, should I go for Ewok Village or Sydney Opera House?

Both are so damn enticing. Ewok Village is Bessa, and looks like a great play and display piece. But SOH is a Jamie set, and looks like a crazy challenge to pull off.

I will most likely end up getting both before year's end, but increasing pressure from my wife to save money for an inevitable move in January is making it hard to get one, let alone both.

EDIT: LEGO S@H is down right now. Did Ewok Village and SOH go up tonight instead of Friday then?

ghostmind

The Batwing part was "meh" though. But Bessa does explain the similarities with the rope ladder on the Jokercopter and the upcoming Ewok Village.

The reminds me: If, and this is a theoretical IF, I were to only get one more set this year, should I go for Ewok Village or Sydney Opera House?

Both are so damn enticing. Ewok Village is Bessa, and looks like a great play and display piece. But SOH is a Jamie set, and looks like a crazy challenge to pull off.

I will most likely end up getting both before year's end, but increasing pressure from my wife to save money for an inevitable move in January is making it hard to get one, let alone both.

If it were me, I would say the Ewok Village.

For you though, I say the Opera House. You aren't hardcore into the Star Wars theme, and I think you would appreciate the complex building techniques of the Opera House more, and most of all you would benefit from all those new parts for your MOCs!

You can, and probably will, get the Ewok Village later.

If it were me, I would say the Ewok Village.

For you though, I say the Opera House. You aren't hardcore into the Star Wars theme, and I think you would appreciate the complex building techniques of the Opera House more, and most of all you would benefit from all those new parts for your MOCs!

SOH would most likely stay together for a long time. It just looks so glorious. But I LOVE the UCS Star Wars stuff. And my love of Death Star is well known on here. I feel Ewok Village is the new Death Star.

I feel Ewok Village will have more hidden surprises and giddy, childlike moments to it than SOH. But SOH will have more teaching of weird techniques in it, just like all Jamie sets.

My brain is saying go Sydney Opera House. My heart is saying go Ewok Village. GAH! Decisions!

ghostmind

Speaking of which, my planned September pick up list:

21105 Minecraft - The Village
21106 Minecraft - The Nether
71002 CMF Series 11
75016 Homing Spider Droid
75017 Duel on Geonosis
75018 JEK 14's Stealth Starfighter
75019 AT-TE
75022 Mandalorian Speeder
75024 HH-87 Starhopper
75025 Jedi Defender-class Cruiser
5001709 Clone Trooper Lieutenant (free x 5)
40079 Mini T1 Camper Van (free x 7 or 8)

Also, continue to whittle down the available CITY sets, so that I am mostly caught up by December, when the 2014 1H wave arrives.

Ewok Village is waiting for October Double VIP - lets see if I cave before then.

Opera House is waiting for TBD.

Will be keeping an eye out for the Series 4 Planets and the 30224 Ride-on Lawnmower polybag.

Speaking of which, my planned September pick up list:

21105 Minecraft - The Village
21106 Minecraft - The Nether
71002 CMF Series 11
75016 Homing Spider Droid
75017 Duel on Geonosis
75018 JEK 14's Stealth Starfighter
75019 AT-TE
75022 Mandalorian Speeder
75024 HH-87 Starhopper
75025 Jedi Defender-class Cruiser
5001709 Clone Trooper Lieutenant (free x 5)
40079 Mini T1 Camper Van (free x 7 or 8)

Also, continue to whittle down the available CITY sets, so that I am mostly caught up by December, when the 2014 1H wave arrives.

Ewok Village is waiting for October Double VIP - lets see if I cave before then.

Opera House is waiting for TBD.

Will be keeping an eye out for the Series 4 Planets and the 30224 Ride-on Lawnmower polybag.
Oooooh. Forgot about the Lawnmower polybag. That looks so cool.

neonglow

I think I'll wait for a coupon, Black Friday or having those sets discounted at Amazon. I'm feeling broke after getting the 4x4 Crawler Exclusive Edition and the DeLorean along with all the Walmart/Target clearances.

ghostmind

From just2good on Eurobricks:

... we're getting a new 2014 LEGO theme aimed towards girls, separate from the Friends theme. All we know for this theme is that in the initial wave, there will be six sets initially and it is based of a new IP.

This source is usually accurate.

EDIT: S@H is up for me ATM - no changes to the Ewok Village or Opera House yet.

It sounds like the Friends minifigures in a fantasy setting. LEGO has done Belville in fairy tale settings before.

Well crap, I still don't like the creepy friends mini-doll-things but I would glady populate their sets with minifigs and bring them into my lego fantasy setting.

Heartlake High does look nice without any changes. Nice and subtle. Like it should be.
Mission at the Beach has me very intrigued. Would rather have it be trash clean up. Seems something overlooked.

I like the white cross tombstone.

The different colored Lantern Corps will never happen thanks to the failed attempt to turn Green Lantern into a movie franchise. A set where it would be easy to get a ton of Green Lanterns would be good enough for me. Throw a couple alien, Ninjago snake, Atlantis creature heads on GL body and I'll have at least a Green Lantern Corp.

From just2good on Eurobricks:

This source is usually accurate.

A new girl theme? I'm a guy and I'm excited (please don't ask for proof). Hmmm...trying to think of a new girl friendly IP that is very sexist. If it's a new IP, LEGO would have it tied to some cartoon or show that's coming out (much like Mixels).

Well crap, I still don't like the creepy friends mini-doll-things but I would glady populate their sets with minifigs and bring them into my lego fantasy setting.

Monster High would work well with mini-dolls, but that's not a new IP. :) LEGO should really do a fairy tale inspired theme.

neonglow

Monster High would work well with mini-dolls, but that's not a new IP. :) LEGO should really do a fairy tale inspired theme.

The Little Mermaid
5960-1.jpg

Thumbelina
5964-1.jpg

The Snow Queen
5961-1.jpg

Generic Castle
5808-1.jpg

wetwired

My LUG bulk order came in and I've managed to finally finish the other side of the Ghostbusters firehouse. Now I need to get stuck into it over the next month and a half before the BrisBricks Lego expo on October 5-7.

Here's a look at my plans for it.

Brisbricksplan.jpg

So I'll start on the right hand side and move backwards as the Ghostbusters firehouse is the main focus of the scene.

1. Ghostbusters Firehouse, self explainatory. I'd really like to finish the Stay Puft Marshmellow man I started (he's currently only a head) but I don't think I'm going to have time, so he'll be pushed way down the To Do list. Ideally though I'd have him wreaking havoc on the road that I will add to the right of the HQ, with the Ghostbusters and Ecto-1 attacking him.
  2. There'll be road plates all the way along the front of the buildings and either side
  3. To the left of the firehouse a gritty NY style alleyway/dead end where the Ninja Turtles are facing down a horde of Foot Soldiers and Shredder. I'd have Raphael somewhere in this scene with his trenchcoat/fedora from the first film. Like this
  4. To the left of that is a thinner NY style abandoned building, boarded up windows, brick all down the sides, possibly a chinese food place at the bottom. This is the biggest thing I need to do so far as it'll be completely from scratch and pretty time consuming.
  5. Next to that is the sand blue version of the Haunted House, It will be recessed a bit from the other buildings to allow for an overgrown garden out front, with vines climbing up the sides of the buildings on either side. If I can't get the stay puft marshmellow man done the Ghostbusters will be parked out front of here about to enter or attacking some ghosts with some police barriers and a crowd watching.
  6. Pet shop set, nothing special here, just a sand green version of the pet shop (as I used the sand blue from it for the haunted house) Maybe Superman vs Zod on top of the building fighting it out.
  7. Out front of the town hall I want to do a mini recreation of the end fight scene from The Dark Knight Returns with Bane and a ton of henchmen vs Batman and a ton of Series 9 cops. Bane would be on top of the camo tumbler with his arms out and a trenchcoat like this. Batman with the parked batmobile below with a horde of cops backing him up. Ideally if I had time I'd like to make the whole town hall white and make the stairs a bit taller and deeper but I don't like my chances of getting either done.
  8. Lastly the palace cinema, nothing special here, I'll probably just park the delorean out front and maybe a line of fire in the road with marty and doc getting out (assuming I can buy the BTTF by then) I'd also do custom movie posters in the window of the cinema. Probably TDKR, Ghostbusters and TMNT (1990 version)

Also not a great photo but a closer look at the sand blue HH...

HH_SandBlue.jpg

Looking gud, wetwired. Also, I never congratulated you on the big 10k, so... Congratulations! Not a GB fan myself, but I'm kinda wishing I was now. Best of luck with it.

ghostmind

That totally made me laugh.

I am trying to get as many of the Clone Troopers as possible during the promo period... the Mini-T1's will just kind of "happen" as a side effect. I'm not sure what I am going to do with 7 of the T1's - give most of them away to family and friends I guess.

So the Clone Trooper promotion is still running next week right?

I'm planning on going to the Mall of America Lego Land on Monday and would love to get some things. Getting some bonus Trooper minifigures would be fantastic.

Do they let someone do two purchases in one day? Or would I probably have to go in, buy something, wait a few hours, go back in and buy the other stuff? And does it have to be all Star Wars stuff? Or could I possibly buy like ~20 in SW sets + ~$30 in like City or another and still get it?

My planned purchases are likely the Republic Gunship, the Desert Skiff, and A-Wing.

Possibly Palpatine's Arrest, the Duel on Geonosis, or AT-TE. If I were, I'd only get one. Does anyone here have any of these? Any recommendations? I'm leaning toward Palpatine's Arrest for the sheer amount of space + minifigure collection.

ghostmind

I'm planning on going to the Mall of America Lego Land on Monday and would love to get some things. Getting some bonus Trooper minifigures would be fantastic.

Do they let someone do two purchases in one day? Or would I probably have to go in, buy something, wait a few hours, go back in and buy the other stuff? And does it have to be all Star Wars stuff? Or could I possibly buy like ~20 in SW sets + ~$30 in like City or another and still get it?

My planned purchases are likely the Republic Gunship, the Desert Skiff, and A-Wing.

Possibly Palpatine's Arrest, the Duel on Geonosis, or AT-TE. If I were, I'd only get one. Does anyone here have any of these? Any recommendations? I'm leaning toward Palpatine's Arrest for the sheer amount of space + minifigure collection.

Clone Trooper promo does not start until September 1st, and runs until October 31st, depending on if they run out or not.

Palpatine's Arrest will go OOP before the others, so I would go for it based on that reason alone.

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
  1. Ghostbusters Firehouse, self explainatory. I'd really like to finish the Stay Puft Marshmellow man I started (he's currently only a head) but I don't think I'm going to have time, so he'll be pushed way down the To Do list. Ideally though I'd have him wreaking havoc on the road that I will add to the right of the HQ, with the Ghostbusters and Ecto-1 attacking him.
  2. There'll be road plates all the way along the front of the buildings and either side
  3. To the left of the firehouse a gritty NY style alleyway/dead end where the Ninja Turtles are facing down a horde of Foot Soldiers and Shredder. I'd have Raphael somewhere in this scene with his trenchcoat/fedora from the first film. Like this
  4. To the left of that is a thinner NY style abandoned building, boarded up windows, brick all down the sides, possibly a chinese food place at the bottom. This is the biggest thing I need to do so far as it'll be completely from scratch and pretty time consuming.
  5. Next to that is the sand blue version of the Haunted House, It will be recessed a bit from the other buildings to allow for an overgrown garden out front, with vines climbing up the sides of the buildings on either side. If I can't get the stay puft marshmellow man done the Ghostbusters will be parked out front of here about to enter or attacking some ghosts with some police barriers and a crowd watching.
  6. Pet shop set, nothing special here, just a sand green version of the pet shop (as I used the sand blue from it for the haunted house) Maybe Superman vs Zod on top of the building fighting it out.
  7. Out front of the town hall I want to do a mini recreation of the end fight scene from The Dark Knight Returns with Bane and a ton of henchmen vs Batman and a ton of Series 9 cops. Bane would be on top of the camo tumbler with his arms out and a trenchcoat like this. Batman with the parked batmobile below with a horde of cops backing him up. Ideally if I had time I'd like to make the whole town hall white and make the stairs a bit taller and deeper but I don't like my chances of getting either done.
  8. Lastly the palace cinema, nothing special here, I'll probably just park the delorean out front and maybe a line of fire in the road with marty and doc getting out (assuming I can buy the BTTF by then) I'd also do custom movie posters in the window of the cinema. Probably TDKR, Ghostbusters and TMNT (1990 version)

This all sounds amazing. Pics or it didn't happen!

My LUG bulk order came in and I've managed to finally finish the other side of the Ghostbusters firehouse. Now I need to get stuck into it over the next month and a half before the BrisBricks Lego expo on October 5-7.

Brisbricksplan.jpg

So I'll start on the right hand side and move backwards as the Ghostbusters firehouse is the main focus of the scene.

HH_SandBlue.jpg

Sounds very cool. Can't wait to see what comes of it.
And the blue HH is cool, but I think I have gotten too used to the green one. I do like the spider web on the front though.

I am trying to get as many of the Clone Troopers as possible during the promo period... the Mini-T1's will just kind of "happen" as a side effect. I'm not sure what I am going to do with 7 of the T1's - give most of them away to family and friends I guess.
Any chance of sending one or two of those mini T-1s my direction when you get them? I can send a different set or something as "payment." Think I am going to try and hold out until October for double VIP (I know, I keep hemming and hawing), but really want a mini VW camper.

TripOpt55

Well I tried making a rocky base. I gathered as many slopes as I could find from a handful of castle sets I have out and tried to see what I could do.

I need some practice, but I think this will do for now. I want to add some stairs on the far end (in an "L" of sorts). Oh and here is the Dark Wizard (or something like that) I made out of some minifigure pieces. This is going to be a Wizard's keep of some kind, so he will be the main figure for it.

Well I tried making a rocky base. I gathered as many slopes as I could find from a handful of castle sets I have out and tried to see what I could do.

I need some practice, but I think this will do for now. I want to add some stairs on the far end (in an "L" of sorts). Oh and here is the Dark Wizard (or something like that) I made out of some minifigure pieces. This is going to be a Wizard's keep of some kind, so he will be the main figure for it.
Looks good. A way I made it a bit more chaotic was having some exposed studs sticking out or SNOT pieces to put cheese slopes on at weird angles.

TripOpt55

Looks good. A way I made it a bit more chaotic was having some exposed studs sticking out or SNOT pieces to put cheese slopes on at weird angles.

Good tips. I will keep that in mind. I was about halfway through when I thought, "Some studs showing actually wouldn't have been bad..." but then I just kept going. I wish I had more cheese slopes. I haven't seen many of them recently, but they may be around. Another reason I need to sort my pieces.

The AT-AP was already revealed, so we know it has Tarfful, Commander Gree, Super Battle Droid, Battle Droid, Battle Droid Commander.

With that said, and thinking about it since yesterday, I don't think that 75035 would pack in Gree again, so I'm thinking 2 Wookie Warriors and 2 clone troopers from the 41st.

Somehow missed this earlier. Didn't know about the reveal, and you're right it would not make sense to have Gree in both. Good call.

Clone Trooper promo does not start until September 1st, and runs until October 31st, depending on if they run out or not.

Palpatine's Arrest will go OOP before the others, so I would go for it based on that reason alone.

Oh shoot really? I thought the Clone Trooper promo was August's, not September. Oops. That's disappointing.

And looking at Palpatine's Arrest, I can't help but feel a bit underwhelmed looking again at what I get compared to the price. It's a bit disappointing. But getting all of the Jedi + Palpatine sure is nice...

The Little Mermaid

Thumbelina

The Snow Queen

Generic Castle
5808-1.jpg

LOL. I should have clarified, with "fairy tale theme done WELL".

Brisbricksplan.jpg

HH_SandBlue.jpg

I forgot how cool the alternate color of Haunted House was. Can't wait to see abandoned building.

Hi friend. :)

Depends on the store, but I believe the policy is per customer once per day. My store is right next to work so I would go during lunch and then later in the evening sometimes. Or just go the next day. If you have another person with you, that person would count as another customer. I've heard some stores still allow you to get multiple items based on the price, not per purchase which is the "official" policy. i.e. If you spend $150 instead of $75, you can get 2 freebies instead of one if the deal is for spending $75.

EDIT: August is decent. Spend $50 for Galaxy Squad polybag. It has a lot of useful small parts and is a decent little build. Friends is even a better deal. I spent $10 on a Friends set and got a free $4 Friends polybag with nice cone piece.

Also, it seems the current Old Republic battle set and the Clone trooper battle packs are on sale too which is unusual for LEGO store.

Fowler

I volunteer to help you solve your T1 problem ;-)

neonglow

I'd be down to work out a trade for the Mini-T1 if there's a polybag you're looking for.

ghostmind

That's four LEGO-GAF'ers that voiced interest. I'm going to cut it off there, and if I do manage to acquire that many T1's next month, I will be in touch with you all.

Been checking Wal Mart every single day for the last week or so, waiting for clearance prices to drop. NOTHING. They still have a Malevolence left at $64, which is shocking. Still a pile of Sith Fury for $45. But I keep waiting for Jabba's Palace to actually get discounted instead of being a red tag that says $120. Urgh. I know the one day I skip checking is when the discounts go steep.

R-User!

Im interested too! :) polybag trade? Or
something like that.

Edit: oh well... I didn't read your whole post before I got excited and posted my interest...

neonglow

Been checking Wal Mart every single day for the last week or so, waiting for clearance prices to drop. NOTHING. They still have a Malevolence left at $64, which is shocking. Still a pile of Sith Fury for $45. But I keep waiting for Jabba's Palace to actually get discounted instead of being a red tag that says $120. Urgh. I know the one day I skip checking is when the discounts go steep.

I'm like the opposite of you. They discounted Jabba's Palace here but I've never seen the Malevolence discounted. I've only seen it at 1 Walmart and it was full price. We could do a trade, but I think shipping would be pretty high with the size & weight of the boxes.

I'm like the opposite of you. They discounted Jabba's Palace here but I've never seen the Malevolence discounted. I've only seen it at 1 Walmart and it was full price. We could do a trade, but I think shipping would be pretty high with the size & weight of the boxes.
Appreciate the offer, but that is fine. With shipping and whatnot it won't be as big a savings. And not itching for Jabbas Palace, but at half price I will bite. :)

ghostmind

Chima time:

Legend Beasts
70123 Lion Legend Beast
70124 Eagle Legend Beast
70125 Gorilla Legend Beast
70126 Crocodile Legend Beast
70127 Wolf Legend Beast

Sets:
70128 Braptor's Wing Striker
70129 Lavertus' Twin Blade
70130 Sparratus' Spider Striker
70131 Rogon's Rock Flinger
70132 Scorm's Scorpion Stinger
70133 Spinlyn's Cavern
70134 Lavertus' Outland Base

D

Diggeh

Unconfirmed Member
Chima time:
Sets:
70133 Spinlyn's Cavern

...How are kids supposed to remember those awkward names? It seems like they're not even trying anymore.

Somehow missed this earlier. Didn't know about the reveal, and you're right it would not make sense to have Gree in both. Good call.

Oh shoot really? I thought the Clone Trooper promo was August's, not September. Oops. That's disappointing.

And looking at Palpatine's Arrest, I can't help but feel a bit underwhelmed looking again at what I get compared to the price. It's a bit disappointing. But getting all of the Jedi + Palpatine sure is nice...

Palpatine's Arrest set is on sale at Toys R Us currently. I think it's around $55.00. The set has been in my backlog since I got it on BOGO sale earlier this year. It looks cool but I just have no place to display it when done. I think I will dismantle that boring looking Spiderman Daily Bugle set.

neonglow

Chima time:

Legend Beasts
70123 Lion Legend Beast
70124 Eagle Legend Beast
70125 Gorilla Legend Beast
70126 Crocodile Legend Beast
70127 Wolf Legend Beast

Sets:
70133 Spinlyn's Cavern

Scopion minifigures! I'm curious about the lack of Speedorz. They must not have sold well.

Jimbro72

New promo at Yoyo.com. Enter code LEGO20! and save 20% off all orders of 3 LEGO sets or more. Expires 8/19. Free shipping on orders over $35. They also have many of the brand new releases. I just picked up 3 of the new SW sets plus the last of the LR sets I needed. Tempted to buy a lot more but will wait until I can find much of it for even more than just 20% off.

Ponn

Banned

Brisbricksplan.jpg

Cool idea and looking good so far. You might want to keep some room though knowing there is a Flash figure you might want to make either a Flash Museum or maybe even a Hall of Justice. That would look freaking awesome.

Top Bottom