• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO GAF |OT2|: Building Dreams. Demolishing Wallets

Works now.

And holy freaking fuck! I know that I'm a broken record on this issue, but Ewok Village is $429 in Sweden! And Opera House is $490. I wasn't planning on getting them but I weep for any Swedes who do.

wetwired

Had a few spare hours tonight so I've started on the "abandoned new york building" to go next to the Ghostbusters HQ, which is starting to look more like it'll be occupied.

buildingX_01.jpg

The beginnings of the alleyway on the right, and the start of the facade at the bottom. it's built right on the edge of the board so I can use a road baseplate in front with the sidewalk on it instead of the main plate. Everything above the ground floor on the front/street facing side will have a fire escape going up it.

The alleyway down the right will have a wall running across connecting up with the Ghostbusters HQ. I'm thinking maybe a garage door above a loading dock thing.

I'm also considering making the bottom level shop a pizza shop or even a chinese takeaway or a dojo of some kind, something to tie in with TMNT a bit more. I've ordered a few of these off bricklink and some red frames to put them in which could work well...

57895pb005.jpg

57895pb009.jpg
57895pb008.jpg

Had a few spare hours tonight so I've started on the "abandoned new york building" to go next to the Ghostbusters HQ, which is starting to look more like it'll be occupied.

buildingX_01.jpg

The beginnings of the alleyway on the right, and the start of the facade at the bottom. it's built right on the edge of the board so I can use a road baseplate in front with the sidewalk on it instead of the main plate. Everything above the ground floor on the front/street facing side will have a fire escape going up it.

The alleyway down the right will have a wall running across connecting up with the Ghostbusters HQ. I'm thinking maybe a garage door above a loading dock thing.

I'm also considering making the bottom level shop a pizza shop or even a chinese takeaway or a dojo of some kind, something to tie in with TMNT a bit more. I've ordered a few of these off bricklink and some red frames to put them in which could work well...

57895pb005.jpg

57895pb009.jpg
57895pb008.jpg

Love the look of the building there, but it does look pretty nice for being abandoned. Looks like that could be a bank or nice apartment building.

Maybe some random different colored "brick" bricks on the side for the alley, or some of those 2x1 with curved dimple (I think you know what I mean. Like they use for most of the front of Grand Emporium) here and there to look like the building is run down a bit.

But love those pillars on the front.

wetwired

Yeah I've been concentrating mainly on the facade for now, I want to add a few random windows and down pipes, air conditioning unity etc on the side as well

Yeah I've been concentrating mainly on the facade for now, I want to add a few random windows and down pipes, air conditioning unity etc on the side as well

Sounds awesome. Maybe a dumpster for a hobo to live near too. :)

Also, what set did all those dark orange "brick" bricks come from?

wetwired

Sounds awesome. Maybe a dumpster for a hobo to live near too. :)

Also, what set did all those dark orange "brick" bricks come from?

there'll be too many ninja turtles and foot clan down there to fit a hobo :p

I wanted to try a dumpster too if I have the space for it, with some garbage bins and boxes/planks of wood all piled up.

They all came from my LUGbrick order. You have to be a member of a local Lego Users Group that holds shows/expos regularly, most major cities have one.

For Canadians:

Iron Patriot will be available from Walmart Canada. Some stores have preorder cards available, but apparently others do not. It is also not up on walmart.ca yet.

Best bet might be to go to the store on release day, even if you have a preorder.

Thanks! I guess I will have to buy the game to get it then. Rats. Was hoping to preorder and cancel.

ruxtpin

Banned
Awesome work being posted here. Love the arcade modification to the GE!

I still have my half-finished castle sitting on the shelf. I need to put in a bricklink order and get the rest of the stuff I need. Been to busy w/ work and moving tho. Meh

I'm going against the grain here by saying that the Ewok Village is doing nothing for me. Maybe I'll change my mind when I see it in person the next time I'm near a Lego store. I'm more of a SW ships/vehicles kind of guy.

ruxtpin

Banned
I'm going against the grain here by saying that the Ewok Village is doing nothing for me. Maybe I'll change my mind when I see it in person the next time I'm near a Lego store. I'm more of a SW ships/vehicles kind of guy.

heh - I was just looking at it and thinking I could see myself buying 2. There are so many good pieces in there!

hmmblah

buildingX_01.jpg

Absolutely love the look of this. To me, this is what City should be, you actually build a City. This rehashing of Fire/Police is very disappointing. I'd love to have multiple modulars released a year and buildings like yours.

57895pb005.jpg

I like the idea of a dojo. Ninjago characters could make a cameo appearance in there. Kids would love that. TMNT and Ninjago mashup FTW!

Oh my, why didn't anyone tell me about Sydney Opera House!!!

Though to be fair, I forgot about this thread since in moved into community :(

But £250... eeek, it's nice... it's very nice. I don't know if I can justify spending that much though :(

buildingX_01.jpg

Quick question, how do you get the bricks for the build? How much money do you think you will spend on that building

love the idea of building a modular building but would like my own rather than follow the Lego model

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
It looks like a terribly dull build. Scaffolding inside might prove interesting,b ut the exterior just doesn't look very engaging for a build.

Hmmm... damn Jang made me interested in the Ewok Village. The thing is, I wouldn't have it built, not as a village. But it's a very solid foundation for a MOC I wanted to do. The question is: is it worth the cost?

Are any of the ewoks unique to the set? Maybe, just maybe I could sell off a few to offset the cost, or I could wait for a set stripped of the figures. It would be nice to have a few iconic Star Wars figures but those I could get anywhere.

Re: Taj Mahal, there seems to be 160 1x1 rounds on the outer railings alone. Won't even begin to count the turntable bases. Some really cool part usage in that thing.

wetwired

I initially planned to do something similar with Palace Cinema. I liked the exterior of it, but I was rather disappointed by the actual cinema part, so I was going to turn the bottom floor into an arcade and rebuild the top floor into a trendy 80′s era apartment filled with cool gadgets. Then I stumbled upon the Grand Emporium in a local shop and while the original design isn’t too interesting to me, it has a ton of floor space, especially with some rebuilding.

The building itself is mostly unchanged. I’ve extended the floors (since I’m not gonna put any additional escalators in there) and added some neon lights to the walls, although I kept the chandelier. My inspiration was partly the old arcade at Trocadero in London, which was a rather fancy place at the time. I made minor changes to the outside as well.

The Bubble Bobble wall decoration is simply a sprite rebuilt with 1x plates, with a few supporting rods on the back. The ARCADE sign was fun to do and make sure it fit on the original bendy tube.

To have an accurate inventory of arcade games, I decided to set it all in 1986, so I could include Bubble Bobble. Then I looked up what other popular games might be around at that time, and built an assortment of cabinets. I wanted a few deluxe ones and some more standard. I kept building them with spare parts and then copying them into Lego Digital Designer until I ran out of floor space inside the building. I then made a few orders off Bricklink for all the parts.

I’m not a really experienced builder so I took the opportunity to play around with building in non-standard stud orientations. All the cabinets are different (although some obviously have similar designs) and I’ve made sure to have accurate screen alignment. Most of them could be wired up with lights. I decided not to make marquee stickers or screens for now, as I’ll mostly have these stored inside the building up on a shelf anyway.

For fun, see if you can recognize all of these!

Full blog post and storyline here

Awesome, any room for an air hockey table?

Went to Wal mart about 11pm last night. Lego aisle is normal. Clearance still hasn't gone down more.

I go back today at 7pm, and the entire aisle is redone and tons of empty slots for all the new sets. The mountain of sets that had been red tagged for the last two weeks are gone and nowhere to be found. Jabbas Palace is still $120 and no longer red tagged.

Either they have the tons of sets in the back and are putting individual tags for clearance in them, or someone came and bought EVERYTHING in one afternoon. I think the first is more likely. Will check back tomorrow.

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
Does anyone know of a LUG in West Virginia or Virginia? I have been doing some searching but can't really find anything.

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.

ruxtpin

Banned
How do we make GAF a LUG?

This. I'd be interested in joining. I just checked out the "Dixie LUG" website available on the LUG website. It took me to a site - all in Japanese - about dragons and their religious meanings.

Something tells me the links on that site probably haven't been updated since 1998.

ruxtpin

Banned
Shouldn't all the enabling we do in this thread count? neogaf gets a lot of visitors; that's kind of like having a show with the public viewing our builds. right? =P

ghostmind

Dear Stephen,

LEGO Users Groups can be very structured with a large bureaucracy or an informal group of fans that meet regularly. I would recommend the latter type since you live in a large country where many fans are separated by distance.
A few basic decisions must be made for a new lug:

Will we require an annual membership fee?
What types of club officers are needed (Treasurer, Webmaster, President, etc)?
How old does a person need to be to join our club?
Where will we meet?
How often will we meet?
How often will we have club shows for the public?
How will we raise money to support the club layout?
What type of club gear is needed (shirts, name badges, etc)?
Try to keep club rules to a minimum. Massive club bylaws can be a huge distraction. Just ask any Wamalug member about this.

Add your new lug to the lugmap: http://www.lugnet.com/map/ You can also request a lugnet newsgroup for your lug. Publicize your shows online. This is the best way for TLG to notice your lug. Once your lug is active in the local community, you will be eligible for participation in TLG programs such as LUGBulk.

If your club grows by leaps and bounds and is raking in cash, you will probably want to become a LLC or non-for-profit organization. My suggestion is to have fun meeting with other local AFOLs on a regular basis.

Sincerely,

LFan

So Lego Gaf I have decided I want to collect every Hoth set. I already have the trenches and the hoth base one but what other ones are there?

Also does any one remember the name of a pyramid set that had lots of traps in it? late 90's sort of an indiana jones ripoff.

So Lego Gaf I have decided I want to collect every Hoth set. I already have the trenches and the hoth base one but what other ones are there?

Also does any one remember the name of a pyramid set that had lots of traps in it? late 90's sort of an indiana jones ripoff.

Just Battle of Hoth and Echo Base that are currently available. I was able to find Wampa Cave when I start collecting again. We need new AT-AT.

Top Bottom