• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO GAF |OT2|: Building Dreams. Demolishing Wallets

wetwired

Cool idea and looking good so far. You might want to keep some room though knowing there is a Flash figure you might want to make either a Flash Museum or maybe even a Hall of Justice. That would look freaking awesome.

I doubt the flash set will be out here in AU by the time the show is on. Hall of justice would be pretty rad though.

I just realised I'm 4 road pieces short to go around it all so I had to order some more, $45 later... :(

neonglow

FAO Schwarz has the Ewok Village for sale right now for $250. Not sure if it's mistake since it should be a LEGO Shop exclusive for a couple months.

http://www.fao.com/product/index.jsp?productId=23593336

pTRU1-16700495_alternate4_dt.jpg

PSA: Galaxy Squad's Vermin Vaporizer is cheap on Amazon.

Bug Obliterator is also discounted. You want this set.

Also, on CUUSOO, it seems Poptropica will hit 10k for the review period. And now that Wetwired's Ghostbusters project has cleared 10k, the TeeKay project is picking up steam.

Vermin Vaporizer is the only wave 1 I don't have. Too many other sets to get. I'll only bite if around 40% or more off. I do <3 Galaxy Squad, hope it sold well enough for a 3rd wave.

Speaking of CUUSOO, how about that Modular Apple Store? Glass staircase is sweet, but that has to be one of the most boring builds ever. Make it a micro build with a Steve Jobs minifig and call it the day. I hope it makes 10k because I'd hate to see that on top 6 for the next few years.

Rootbeer

Banned
I am really hoping LEGO will continue the TMNT line. Don't suppose we have any insider info on that? Haven't seen anything mentioned on it.

Season 2 of the show starts soon, there's definitely a lot of other set pieces, vehicles and minifigures to explore.

Such as the Kraang-eating newtralizer!

tumblr_mqpmeovXEd1qzky0mo1_500.jpg

tumblr_mqqqzn3Uqp1rki487o1_400.gif

Pics are online for the new recruitment line and system sets. I have to say the new recruitment line is a nice improvement over the planet series. I really like the way the x-wing looks. I think this is going to be a big hit with the younglings. =)

http://www.mintinbox.net/Actus/13-08/1508lego_microfighter

So the "Micro-Fighter" are the expanded version of those SDCC exclusives. My wallet is already hurting. Thanks for sharing the link.

edit: Droid Gunship! Also spring loaded shooter instead of flick missiles, and "lower price point" as selling point to retailers. New gun mold also for Mini-figs.

Pics are online for the new recruitment line and system sets. I have to say the new recruitment line is a nice improvement over the planet series. I really like the way the x-wing looks. I think this is going to be a big hit with the younglings. =) It kind of reminds me of the Playskool Star Wars Galactic Heroes line.

Look great! Will probably pick up a couple.

Pics are online for the new recruitment line and system sets. I have to say the new recruitment line is a nice improvement over the planet series. I really like the way the x-wing looks. I think this is going to be a big hit with the younglings. =) It kind of reminds me of the Playskool Star Wars Galactic Heroes line.

Aw yissss Royal Guards! The other figures look like good Imperial expansion characters. Good stuff.

AT-AP is much larger than I expected. Wow. I have to wonder if the bulky part of the body opens up to allow more Clones inside. If not, seems like a bit overkill to have that large of a vehicle with only one spot for a minifigure.

And the only way to get Chewbacca is to get that big Droid Gunship? Lame.

Lots of droids in this wave. Good to see. Would have been nice to see some Jedi thrown in outside of the current Episode II stuff, but I'm still happy. A non-CW/bug-eyed version of Aayla Secura would have been great to see.

Thanks for the link. Very unscrupulous to post the confidential photos, but since they are already posted I can't help but look.

I like the recruitment line. It's not simply a remake of previous sets and very different than stuff LEGO has done before. I only hope they continue and redo the convention exclusives like that.

Very happy we get a non-cartoon Clone Wars General Grievous especially since it's not in a super expensive set.

Love the chibi X-Wing especially. And the Death Star Trooper pack is odd. I do not recognize the helmets on them. But great that it comes with more Imperial Guard figures.

Jimbro72

Love the chibi X-Wing especially. And the Death Star Trooper pack is odd. I do not recognize the helmets on them. But great that it comes with more Imperial Guard figures.

I thought the same thing about those helmets. I hope that this just being a prelim shot means that those are not the actual helmets that will be used. I don't recognize those at all and it may hurt what otherwise looks like a great looking battle pack.

I thought the same thing about those helmets. I hope that this just being a prelim shot means that those are not the actual helmets that will be used. I don't recognize those at all and it may hurt what otherwise looks like a great looking battle pack.

They look more like Death Star officers with those hats. Still, you know you'll buy the set anyway for the imperial guards.

They look more like Death Star officers with those hats. Still, you know you'll buy the set anyway for the imperial guards.

They look like helmets to me. The faces are covered, and only the eyes are exposed. it is weird. If it were the hats it would be officers. If it were the backward sloped helmets it would be the soldiers. If it were the backward sloped helmets and completely covered faces it would be the gunners.
It is probably just temp stuff. But more Imperial Guard is always a good thing.

EDIT: Has to be temp. Look at the guns.

rallaren

I just finished building the lovely Museum Break-in 60008 set! I like the Police ground vehicle, don't know what they're called, especially and the Museum itself is a sturdy structure - neat, good play set.

Jimbro72

Of course, I'll still buy it. But if they have the proper helmets that I would expect for the gunners, it might be one of the first battle packs I'd by more than just one set of.

And those guns have got to be fill ins for the pic, too, and not the actual ones. Those things are beyond bizarre looking.

Of course, I'll still buy it. But if they have the proper helmets that I would expect for the gunners, it might be one of the first battle packs I'd by more than just one set of.

And those guns have got to be fill ins for the pic, too, and not the actual ones. Those things are beyond bizarre looking.

They look like the standard space style guns we have gotten lately. Like what Alien Conquest and Galaxy Squad use.

Jimbro72

They look like the standard space style guns we have gotten lately. Like what Alien Conquest and Galaxy Squad use.

Ah, thanks, that may explain why they seem so odd to me. Still, it doesn't make sense that they wouldn't still use the standard SW guns that they've used in recent years in a set like this. I would expect them to have the Stormtrooper blasters, if anything.

I initially planned to do something similar with Palace Cinema. I liked the exterior of it, but I was rather disappointed by the actual cinema part, so I was going to turn the bottom floor into an arcade and rebuild the top floor into a trendy 80&#8242;s era apartment filled with cool gadgets. Then I stumbled upon the Grand Emporium in a local shop and while the original design isn’t too interesting to me, it has a ton of floor space, especially with some rebuilding.

The building itself is mostly unchanged. I’ve extended the floors (since I’m not gonna put any additional escalators in there) and added some neon lights to the walls, although I kept the chandelier. My inspiration was partly the old arcade at Trocadero in London, which was a rather fancy place at the time. I made minor changes to the outside as well.

The Bubble Bobble wall decoration is simply a sprite rebuilt with 1x plates, with a few supporting rods on the back. The ARCADE sign was fun to do and make sure it fit on the original bendy tube.

To have an accurate inventory of arcade games, I decided to set it all in 1986, so I could include Bubble Bobble. Then I looked up what other popular games might be around at that time, and built an assortment of cabinets. I wanted a few deluxe ones and some more standard. I kept building them with spare parts and then copying them into Lego Digital Designer until I ran out of floor space inside the building. I then made a few orders off Bricklink for all the parts.

I’m not a really experienced builder so I took the opportunity to play around with building in non-standard stud orientations. All the cabinets are different (although some obviously have similar designs) and I’ve made sure to have accurate screen alignment. Most of them could be wired up with lights. I decided not to make marquee stickers or screens for now, as I’ll mostly have these stored inside the building up on a shelf anyway.

For fun, see if you can recognize all of these!

wOJMlzt.jpg

rYgbBv6.jpg

D0rQz0X.jpg

D8xi2CO.jpg

FVjZPKA.jpg

MfIofeo.jpg

NbBWiM8.jpg

KHQH9tn.jpg

1qmeGQd.jpg

ZX4QbvM.jpg

Vkq9gOK.jpg

Full blog post and storyline here

They look like helmets to me. The faces are covered, and only the eyes are exposed. it is weird. If it were the hats it would be officers. If it were the backward sloped helmets it would be the soldiers. If it were the backward sloped helmets and completely covered faces it would be the gunners.
It is probably just temp stuff. But more Imperial Guard is always a good thing.

EDIT: Has to be temp. Look at the guns.

Ooops. I was looking at Imperial Crew minifig by accident. My bad. I think 4x of Death Star battle packs are calling my name with proper helmets. Maybe 2 if not.

neonglow

I like how it's mentioned that most of the sets will have a lower price point. I wonder if the higher Star Wars prices these past couple years have seen a decline in sales.

It also looks like Battle of Saleucami is not a true battle pack and will be in the $20 price range like how Droid Escape is.

I initially planned to do something similar with Palace Cinema. I liked the exterior of it, but I was rather disappointed by the actual cinema part, so I was going to turn the bottom floor into an arcade and rebuild the top floor into a trendy 80&#8242;s era apartment filled with cool gadgets. Then I stumbled upon the Grand Emporium in a local shop and while the original design isn’t too interesting to me, it has a ton of floor space, especially with some rebuilding.

The building itself is mostly unchanged. I’ve extended the floors (since I’m not gonna put any additional escalators in there) and added some neon lights to the walls, although I kept the chandelier. My inspiration was partly the old arcade at Trocadero in London, which was a rather fancy place at the time. I made minor changes to the outside as well.

The Bubble Bobble wall decoration is simply a sprite rebuilt with 1x plates, with a few supporting rods on the back. The ARCADE sign was fun to do and make sure it fit on the original bendy tube.

To have an accurate inventory of arcade games, I decided to set it all in 1986, so I could include Bubble Bobble. Then I looked up what other popular games might be around at that time, and built an assortment of cabinets. I wanted a few deluxe ones and some more standard. I kept building them with spare parts and then copying them into Lego Digital Designer until I ran out of floor space inside the building. I then made a few orders off Bricklink for all the parts.

I’m not a really experienced builder so I took the opportunity to play around with building in non-standard stud orientations. All the cabinets are different (although some obviously have similar designs) and I’ve made sure to have accurate screen alignment. Most of them could be wired up with lights. I decided not to make marquee stickers or screens for now, as I’ll mostly have these stored inside the building up on a shelf anyway.

For fun, see if you can recognize all of these!

rYgbBv6.jpg

Full blog post and storyline here

Great work on the arcade machines! Brilliant idea.

ghostmind

Remember with preliminary photos that colors, elements, stickers, weapons, and minifigs are all temporary for the purpose of illustrating the basic nature of the set to retailers. Many of these sets will look quite different by the time they are shown officially.

That said, unless there is a specific new minifig that I will want, I'll probably be skipping the recruitment line.

I tried wrapping head around making arcade cabinets last year but never cracked it. Think I will someday steal your techniques Sigfried. Those are awesome. Dat Outrun cabinet!

Poptropica hitting 10k is good and not good. I say it is not good because it was actually a project put together and submitted to CUUSOO by the makers of the actual game. So obviously LEGO would have no problem getting the license to make that set.

Which is the problem. If they only do one set per review cycle, and Poptropica is an easy one to get passed through, that means Wetwired's Ghostbusters set might just get tossed aside.

Which makes me think: why dont we now try and push the TeeKay Ghostbusters set as well? Two Ghostbusters sets pushing past 10,000 in the same review period would send a VERY strong message to LEGO that people want Ghostbusters and they want it NOW. That could be a good way to make them pursue the license, if Sony and whatnot would sign off on it.

And it would be interesting to see them make a "best of both worlds" approach to Ghostbusters. Wetwired's spectacular exterior, but still sized to hold the mini figures inside like TeeKay's design.

On a different note, I looked extensively through this book at the store:
9781465414120_p0_v1_s600.JPG

FANTASTIC!

I am going back to buy it or order it online this weekend. So many cool ideas, and categorized according to theme. There is a big section just on underwater scenes, with some awesome stuff in there.
It is like other LEGO Idea books in that it just shows pics without instructions, but most ideas it gives a quick cross section of the set to show off how they pulled off some things. Or points to certain sections to tell you what bricks were used. It is like the happy medium of being inspirational, but telling you just enough about how it was pulled off but you have to fill in the rest.

The book is large and hardcover, and only $15 or so online. GET IT. That one random pic I posted earlier was from the "Things That Go Bump in the Night" section of the book, where it is all monster and horror themed stuff.

SAMPLES:
9781409327516L_004.jpg

9781409327516L_003.jpg

9781409327516L_002.jpg

9781409327516L_001.jpg

So about those new battle packs, the Death Star gunners should look something like this.

iSoSN22.jpg

The helmets in the leaks look like they are from the Kingdom line so as previously pointed out, they are temp.

Will be picking up a couple packs for the gunners and Royal Guards... maybe 4... or 5....

Jimbro72

Poptropica hitting 10k is good and not good. I say it is not good because it was actually a project put together and submitted to CUUSOO by the makers of the actual game. So obviously LEGO would have no problem getting the license to make that set.

Which is the problem. If they only do one set per review cycle, and Poptropica is an easy one to get passed through, that means Wetwired's Ghostbusters set might just get tossed aside.

Which makes me think: why dont we now try and push the TeeKay Ghostbusters set as well? Two Ghostbusters sets pushing past 10,000 in the same review period would send a VERY strong message to LEGO that people want Ghostbusters and they want it NOW. That could be a good way to make them pursue the license, if Sony and whatnot would sign off on it.

And it would be interesting to see them make a "best of both worlds" approach to Ghostbusters. Wetwired's spectacular exterior, but still sized to hold the mini figures inside like TeeKay's design.

On a different note, I looked extensively through this book at the store:
9781465414120_p0_v1_s600.JPG

FANTASTIC!

I am going back to buy it or order it online this weekend. So many cool ideas, and categorized according to theme. There is a big section just on underwater scenes, with some awesome stuff in there.
It is like other LEGO Idea books in that it just shows pics without instructions, but most ideas it gives a quick cross section of the set to show off how they pulled off some things. Or points to certain sections to tell you what bricks were used. It is like the happy medium of being inspirational, but telling you just enough about how it was pulled off but you have to fill in the rest.

The book is large and hardcover, and only $15 or so online. GET IT. That one random pic I posted earlier was from the "Things That Go Bump in the Night" section of the book, where it is all monster and horror themed stuff.

Thanks for mentioning this book and the mini review. I hadn't heard of it before now and enjoy flipping through books like this and will now be adding it to my small but growing LEGO book collection.

Not digging the microfighters at all. But I'll pick up the Death Star battle pack for the Royal Guards. Sweet as.

Another year though that I won't be getting any Star Wars sets. Sadness.

Thanks for mentioning this book and the mini review. I hadn't heard of it before now and enjoy flipping through books like this and will now be adding it to my small but growing LEGO book collection.

I just saw a display of it while walking through BN and had to stop and look. I was not expecting it to be as neat as it was. The last LEGO Idea Book was good, but left much to be desired. But the way this is themed and gives you the bare bones of the techniques was so fantastic.
Definitely some awesome techniques in there. There is a brick built monkey in it where it uses guns from the Alien Conquest and space stuff for parts of the arms. Just nuts. And the micro build section is fantastic.

Actually just ordered my copy online. It is $15 on Amazon right now, and $15.24 on BN (used my 15% off coupon on it and still got my free shipping. $12.95+tax. Great price for a book with a $25 MSRP).

Yeah, this is HIGHLY recommended for anyone doing any form of MOCs.

ghostmind

For Canadians:

Iron Patriot will be available from Walmart Canada. Some stores have preorder cards available, but apparently others do not. It is also not up on walmart.ca yet.

Best bet might be to go to the store on release day, even if you have a preorder.

Top Bottom