• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO GAF |OT2|: Building Dreams. Demolishing Wallets

So soon? The last set came out in August 2010. The first half of 2014 looks bare for OT Star Wars. I'm hoping to see a TIE Interceptor or maybe Vader's TIE Advanced.

Well it's not soon if you can't buy one ... it's one of the more iconic Star Wars vehicle. There are several lesser vehicle from 2010 that they are redoing for movie tie-in and I would rather them do more "timeless" piece.

Fowler

Well it's not soon if you can't buy one ... it's one of the more iconic Star Wars vehicle. There are several lesser vehicle from 2010 that they are redoing for movie tie-in and I would rather them do more "timeless" piece.

Yeah I mean, I know the last one was only 2010, but the AT-AT is one of those sets that is so iconic it should be in a regular rotation. Kinda like how there's virtually always an X-Wing for sale.

Thanks, PhoncipleBone. He is pretty cool. I like all the birds in Chima line.

T8UbbaU.jpg

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
How do we make GAF a LUG?

We would need to have meetings. (which I don't know how we would do that) We would have to display items at locations. Examples" Libraries, Schools etc. We would have to have a website dedicated to the LUG. The biggest issues I see with us is we aren't in a community together. We are located all over the US/World. CT, WV, CA, TX Australia, Sweden, UK. I would be hard pressed to find 2 people from the same state. I just don't know how we could do it. If it is something we want to truly look into cool, but we are going to have to think outside the box.

GAF is more an online LEGO community, than a LUG.

Party Pooper. We want Mass amounts of LEGO for Cheap.

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
As to the pyramid set... Temple of Anubis?

dkoeexH.jpg

This makes me want a Stargate LEGO Set again. People have done some amazing MOCs of it. Wetwired, in your free time throw together a Stargate and stuff and throw it up on Cuusoo

wetwired

Stage 2 of the unabandoned building...

buildingX_02.jpg

Added dumpster, started experimenting with treatments to break up the brick wall, reworked 1st floor and added 2nd.

I'm leaning towards some sort of martial arts themed pizza place "dojo pizza" or something like that, maybe make an awning out paper or try and brick build a sign.

It looks fantastic. You know, a fire escape would look pretty boss on that building, adding another dimension to an already great looking scene. Plus it would give you more areas for the turtles and ninjas to fight!

EDIT: Here's a good looking, simple one I found to illustrate my point. It would look great on the alleyway side and the black would go well with the scene too.

http://imgur.com/dYnUp2F

Calm Killer

Stage 2 of the unabandoned building...

buildingX_02.jpg

Added dumpster, started experimenting with treatments to break up the brick wall, reworked 1st floor and added 2nd.

I'm leaning towards some sort of martial arts themed pizza place "dojo pizza" or something like that, maybe make an awning out paper or try and brick build a sign.

Looks amazing Wet. I love the orange. Keep up the amazing work. If you are going with a pizza theme do you have 7641? You could use pieces from it perhaps.

th

suaveric

Whatever happened to the expansion set for the mini modulars? It seems like that is the only rumor from the beginning of the year that didn't end up happening.

Whatever happened to the expansion set for the mini modulars? It seems like that is the only rumor from the beginning of the year that didn't end up happening.

I am guessing it will be next year or year after. Get enough buildings to do another set about the same size. If they release next year it would give us Pet Shop, Town Hall, Palace Cinema, and the rumored Parisian Restaurant. That is only one building shy of the same size as the original Mini Modular set.

Calm Killer

I thought it was an expansion for the regular modulars. Mini modulars makes more sense though.

ghostmind

He is getting enough stuff in September to get tons of promos.

He can buy Ewok Village and send it to me. :)

LOL - I made it out of there with only two SW battle packs that were on sale, and my son did a custom minifig build (he chose an all-police force this time... crime won't stand a chance in my City).

Ewok Village box is larger than the UCS X-wing box but thinner. Still trying to hold off until Double VIP for this one.

Sydney Opera House box is THICK. Like, 1.5 Tower Bridge boxes stuck together. Looked at the parts inventory and there wasn't any huge bulk amount of one part (ie. cheese slopes on the Tower Bridge). Most of any element I saw was 100, but that wasn't typical. They had this one on display - just gorgeous.

neonglow

I went on a building spree the past couple days. Here's what I built:

Picked up the Z-95 on clearance for $35. After building it, that's the price it should have been in the first place. The base of the ship builds very similarly to the Y-wing. The cylinder engines attach in the same manner. It looks much better in person than on the box.

After watching the this Designer Video showing the transformation, I had to have it. It's a pretty simple build that uses a lot of blocks for the base of the bike. This makes it very sturdy. It's much better built than the Ninjago bike from previous years. It's also made by Mark Stafford.

Last I have Surfer Rescue. I only got it for the shark. The jetski is nicely made. I added custom guns so that my surfer dude looks like Bodhi from Point Break.

Yeah I mean, I know the last one was only 2010, but the AT-AT is one of those sets that is so iconic it should be in a regular rotation. Kinda like how there's virtually always an X-Wing for sale.

Needs more AT-AT. Based one how many people came out of the dark ages recently, there's a lot of people that missed out on the last one.

This makes me want a Stargate LEGO Set again. People have done some amazing MOCs of it. Wetwired, in your free time throw together a Stargate and stuff and throw it up on Cuusoo

I'm positive there were some Stargates on Cuusoo already.

Last I have Surfer Rescue. I only got it for the shark. The jetski is nicely made. I added custom guns so that my surfer dude looks like Bodhi from Point Break.

I own and like this set. It's a good value. You get a shark, generic white surfboard, surfer dude, etc for $7. Will grab a bunch if it ever goes on clearance.

In case you were wondering what is going on in the background, it's a flotation device.

Ponn

Banned
Just Battle of Hoth and Echo Base that are currently available. I was able to find Wampa Cave when I start collecting again. We need new AT-AT.

Ive seen a Wampa Cave sitting in Amazon warehouse deal for like 2 weeks now. Think it was $57 or around that. At work cant check if still there today.

Calm Killer

I was mistaken. Stargate pickings are slim and poor. I must have been thinking of MOCs. Stargate minifigs project one is cool, but unlikely to get made IMO.

This however is about the right size I think and captures the essence perfectly.

8616224596_9769ef8a4e_c.jpg

By: http://www.flickr.com/photos/yatkuu/8616224596/#

I might have to look into making a set myself and throwing it up on cuusoo. I might be able to pull something together.

ghostmind

And the LUG honeymoon is over (at least in North America):

Hello and Good Afternoon folks,

I hope this message finds you all well. I understand there has been a bit of chatter and discussion around the community in regards to a recent change in qualifying items that may be purchased with a discount via LEGO Brand Retail Stores. I have reached out to my colleagues within LEGO Brand Retail as well as other business partners within the company to investigate this further. I can confirm with you all today that a new restriction has, in fact, been placed upon items that may be purchased with a discount through LEGO Brand Retail as well as LEGO Shop-at-Home. This new rule applies to any and all discount opportunities that are currently operating. These are the areas that affect the AFOL community:

· LBR LUG Showcase Program
· AFOL Appreciation Shopping Day
· New LBR Store Opening Volunteer Opportunities
· LBR Master Model Building Event Volunteer Opportunities
· LBR Large Scaled Store Event Volunteer Opportunities

As of July 1st, the following “exclusive” items are no longer available to be purchased at a discount, with no exceptions:

10188 Death Star™
10197 Fire Brigade
10211 Grand Emporium
10214 Tower Bridge
10218 Pet Shop
10221 Super Star Destroyer
10220 Volkswagen T1 Camper Van
10223 Kingdoms Joust
10224 Town Hall
10225 SW R2D2
10226 Sopwith Camel
10228 Haunted House
10229 Winter Village Cottage
10233 Horizon Express
10937 Batman™: Arkham Asylum Breakout
10232 Palace Cinema
10240 Red Five X-Wing Starfighter™
10237 The Tower of Orthanc
10234 Sydney Opera House™
10236 Ewok™ Village
10235 Winter Village Market
31313 MINDSTORMS 2013
21050 Architecture Studio

I understand that this will likely be met with great disappointment and concern. I assure you this decision was not made lightly and at an extremely high level within our organization. I would appreciate your help in passing along this information to your respective LUGs to ensure everyone is adequately prepared before participating in one of the above mentioned discount opportunities. Please note this new restriction ONLY applies to North America, more specifically the United States and Canada.

I have already passed along my feedback concerning this change as the community representative for North America to the appropriate individuals. Thank you for your continued time and support.

Regards,

Kevin Hinkle, Senior Community Coordinator - AMS LEGO Community Engagement and Events

enewtabie

Ive seen a Wampa Cave sitting in Amazon warehouse deal for like 2 weeks now. Think it was $57 or around that. At work cant check if still there today.

You can always buy mine on ebay. It's cheaper.Search my name. I have that and a used Battle of Hoth set. It's missing a blaster or two but no pieces. Search my user name enewtabie. I have more stuff and about 20 sets or so I have to get rid of in the next couple months.

wetwired

It looks fantastic. You know, a fire escape would look pretty boss on that building, adding another dimension to an already great looking scene. Plus it would give you more areas for the turtles and ninjas to fight!

EDIT: Here's a good looking, simple one I found to illustrate my point. It would look great on the alleyway side and the black would go well with the scene too.

http://imgur.com/dYnUp2F

Yeah there will be a fire escape on the front side, it's loosely based on the building that's actually next to the real firehouse they used in ghostbusters

Looks amazing Wet. I love the orange. Keep up the amazing work. If you are going with a pizza theme do you have 7641? You could use pieces from it perhaps.

th

Nah I don't have it, I have plenty of the pizza pieces though.

Picked up the Z-95 on clearance for $35. After building it, that's the price it should have been in the first place. The base of the ship builds very similarly to the Y-wing. The cylinder engines attach in the same manner. It looks much better in person than on the box.

After watching the this Designer Video showing the transformation, I had to have it. It's a pretty simple build that uses a lot of blocks for the base of the bike. This makes it very sturdy. It's much better built than the Ninjago bike from previous years. It's also made by Mark Stafford.

I agree that the Z95 really is way too expensive, also LEGO making it bigger is just to put it into the higher tier price.

I saw that Chima bike the other day at TRU and thought it looks pretty cool, thanks for the review, next time TRU has a sale I will have to pick one up. Lovely pictures by the way.

On another note my local Fred Myers finally got in the new Star Wars set but only the smaller set. I have $20.00 reward point so I decided to pick up the Yoda VS Dooku set but while I was checking out, the cashier said, "I will give you another 20% off that LEGO set". I am not sure if they are having sale as I didn't see any signage or may be there's a coupon for this week anyway, end up picking up for just $12.00. While I love Dooku, I felt the set was way overprice, but then again all LEGO Star Wars seems to be that way.

P3MozB7l.jpg

I will post some pictures later when I am done building it.

Calm Killer

My local walmart has all the new sets out now. They seem to have a bigger selection of LEGO now. More options. All the Lone Rangers sets which they never had before this week. A lot of new City and Creator sets. Tons of Chima now that they barely dabbled in. Nothing that I really wanted or worth getting in the clearance isles though. Either stuff I already had or not worth picking up.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
For those on the lookout for big set deals, Target has signs in their LEGO department about the big sets being on their website now. So might want to keep an eye in your bargain hunting.

Chilling!

Is the arm connected to anything under the "soil"? Is the torso under there?

I tried building over a torso to pull it off, but the arm didn't stick out enough for my tastes. Thus, I had to rip an arm off of a mini fig. Then I just used these pieces:
407021.jpg

In brown.
4289542.jpg

And this in dark grey.
The wrench strains a bit, but it still holds the connection piece of the arm and I can turn it to any angle I want.

It is way too late for me to be up, but after a pretty shitty last few days, staying up late with a good beer and working on this MOC does help.

The graves are all in place. Now to figure out which figures to use for crawling out of the ground to kill any unsuspecting chap that ventures onto the grounds. There will be more ground details coming, but progress is progress.

Everything in this is actually connected through either hinges or studs. No illegal connections (unless cheating the mini figure arm joint counts), and noting simply resting on the plate. I could turn this thing upside down and everything stays in place. When I finish this section I might post a pic of the back side of it as it reveals a bit of the ways I got the angles and getting the minifigs at those angles.

Fowler

Looks GREAT! Can't believe they're all properly connected, I figured that front-middle grave was just resting there.

One suggestion though: Can you move the arm-bursting grave to front-left? Just think there's too much in the background and not enough in the foreground, and that arm (which is SUPER cool) gets lost back there...

Looks GREAT! Can't believe they're all properly connected, I figured that front-middle grave was just resting there.

One suggestion though: Can you move the arm-bursting grave to front-left? Just think there's too much in the background and not enough in the foreground, and that arm (which is SUPER cool) gets lost back there...

Will probably move the arm to the front. I am going to have things busting out of the front graves eventually, I just need to dig out the rest of my zombie figures. But I agree, the lone arm would look better on the front. But the problem is redoing all the brick work to make it work. But should be like ten minutes work.

Thank you for the suggestion.

As for how the front middle grave is in place, it involves a turntable plate, and some clip plates and bar plates attaching to SNOT on the back of the tombstone. I will post some more detailed stuff once this section of the diorama is complete.

I am debating about keeping the large cross tombstone in the back. I thought of putting up some support beams to put train tracks running over this section for the Ghost Train. The whole thing is still in flux for the next month or so.

Fowler

The cross tombstone at the back is cool tho, because it provides a bit of variety. Maybe swap it for one of the grey tombstones?

rallaren

My LUG bulk order came in and I've managed to finally finish the other side of the Ghostbusters firehouse. Now I need to get stuck into it over the next month and a half before the BrisBricks Lego expo on October 5-7.

Here's a look at my plans for it.

Brisbricksplan.jpg

So I'll start on the right hand side and move backwards as the Ghostbusters firehouse is the main focus of the scene.

1. Ghostbusters Firehouse, self explainatory. I'd really like to finish the Stay Puft Marshmellow man I started (he's currently only a head) but I don't think I'm going to have time, so he'll be pushed way down the To Do list. Ideally though I'd have him wreaking havoc on the road that I will add to the right of the HQ, with the Ghostbusters and Ecto-1 attacking him.
  2. There'll be road plates all the way along the front of the buildings and either side
  3. To the left of the firehouse a gritty NY style alleyway/dead end where the Ninja Turtles are facing down a horde of Foot Soldiers and Shredder. I'd have Raphael somewhere in this scene with his trenchcoat/fedora from the first film. Like this
  4. To the left of that is a thinner NY style abandoned building, boarded up windows, brick all down the sides, possibly a chinese food place at the bottom. This is the biggest thing I need to do so far as it'll be completely from scratch and pretty time consuming.
  5. Next to that is the sand blue version of the Haunted House, It will be recessed a bit from the other buildings to allow for an overgrown garden out front, with vines climbing up the sides of the buildings on either side. If I can't get the stay puft marshmellow man done the Ghostbusters will be parked out front of here about to enter or attacking some ghosts with some police barriers and a crowd watching.
  6. Pet shop set, nothing special here, just a sand green version of the pet shop (as I used the sand blue from it for the haunted house) Maybe Superman vs Zod on top of the building fighting it out.
  7. Out front of the town hall I want to do a mini recreation of the end fight scene from The Dark Knight Returns with Bane and a ton of henchmen vs Batman and a ton of Series 9 cops. Bane would be on top of the camo tumbler with his arms out and a trenchcoat like this. Batman with the parked batmobile below with a horde of cops backing him up. Ideally if I had time I'd like to make the whole town hall white and make the stairs a bit taller and deeper but I don't like my chances of getting either done.
  8. Lastly the palace cinema, nothing special here, I'll probably just park the delorean out front and maybe a line of fire in the road with marty and doc getting out (assuming I can buy the BTTF by then) I'd also do custom movie posters in the window of the cinema. Probably TDKR, Ghostbusters and TMNT (1990 version)

Also not a great photo but a closer look at the sand blue HH...

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/2610740/HH_SandBlue.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]
The new building looks really good wetwired.

Has anyone here thought of trying to put the TMNT building in a setting like this but lower than the others so it actually looks to appear underground? I've tried to find something through google without success.

Nvm.. found [URL="http://thebrickblogger.com/2013/02/lego-teenage-mutant-ninja-turtles-expanded/"]one[/URL] but it's alot MOC ([URL="http://www.flickr.com/photos/yoderism/with/8509276165/"]flickr[/URL]). I mean more simple.

And whoa:
[QUOTE][URL="http://www.crazyleafdesign.com/blog/top-10-3d-street-arts-of-2012/"][IMG]http://i.imgur.com/Z90kWmB.jpg[/URL]

wetwired

Stage 3,

Beginnings of the alleyway back wall (ignore the top part, there will be some windows up there). Spent a lot of time pulling both the GB building and the other one apart to accommodate the new wall so they butt up against each other cleanly. I need to adjust it some more to make it easier to pull apart for transport/storage.

buildingX_03A.jpg

I also added a light as I think even on display in the expo it might be a little dark in the alley.

buildingX_03B.jpg

buildingX_03C.jpg

I might try some sort of awning to cover up the wires. Add some bollards in front of the loading dock, more bins, a mutagen canister/spill too maybe.

I need to finalise the 2 new buildings though and get them done before I do any of that smaller detail in the alleyway as every time I want to change something on the building to accommodate the new alleyway I have to tear half of it down and rebuild again, so that will probably be tomorrows job.

wetwired

The new building looks really good wetwired.

Has anyone here thought of trying to put the TMNT building in a setting like this but lower than the others so it actually looks to appear underground? I've tried to find something through google without success.

Nvm.. found one but it's alot MOC (flickr). I mean more simple.

And whoa:

It's part of a whole street scene on road baseplates so that's not really feasible with the pieces I have...but if I did imagine a whole sewer system underneath the road, complete with a turtle lair. That would be rad.

Calm Killer

Stage 3,

Beginnings of the alleyway back wall (ignore the top part, there will be some windows up there). Spent a lot of time pulling both the GB building and the other one apart to accommodate the new wall so they butt up against each other cleanly. I need to adjust it some more to make it easier to pull apart for transport/storage.

buildingX_03A.jpg

I also added a light as I think even on display in the expo it might be a little dark in the alley.

buildingX_03B.jpg

buildingX_03C.jpg

I might try some sort of awning to cover up the wires. Add some bollards in front of the loading dock, more bins, a mutagen canister/spill too maybe.

I need to finalise the 2 new buildings though and get them done before I do any of that smaller detail in the alleyway as every time I want to change something on the building to accommodate the new alleyway I have to tear half of it down and rebuild again, so that will probably be tomorrows job.

This looks stupid good man. Can I ask about the strength of the brick wall pieces? Any reason you are stacking them vertically vs staggering them for more support and strength?

I want to buy pieces and build something like this now. Damn you!!

buildingX_03B.jpg

buildingX_03C.jpg

Whoa. That is awesome. I really want to get tons of those "brick" bricks at some point. It is such a good look. And does the garage door actually swing up, Creator House style?

I will echo Calm Killer though: how sturdy is it with them stacked like that instead of staggered?

Wait, is that a brick built door too? How does that work?

SNOT pieces to get the textured look. The top ends probably have 1x1 bricks with technic holes, which have pegs going into the side walls. That allows you to swing it open. The Creator Houses use that type of hinge for the garage doors, but not the SNOT work.

ghostmind

from Caseyref on Eurobricks:

Airport fire truck - SET 6005?
This is a beast of a fire truck roughly looking around 8 studs wide and 20-32 studs long in red with 2 mini figs, 1 burning jet engine

Tow truck - SET 60056
This is a Truck tow truck roughly 8 wide and 20-32 studs long in blue (top half) and white (bottom half) with 1 mini fig

Repair car - SET 60054
This is a small car size lighting repair car 6 wide in orange with 1 mini figure, 1 road light post

Monster truck - SET 60055
Green and black monster truck much like the truck being released this year with 1 mini fig

Racing car - SET 60059
6 wide Octan touring racing car with 1 mini fig with 1 silver cup

Car transporter - SET 60060
Yellow truck with upper and lower floor (can carry 2 cars) and 1 trailer again with upper and lower floor and capable of holding 2 cars. 2x cars with this set - 1 blue sports car and a black sports car, also you get 2 mini figs (1x delivery man/driver & 1x customer with tile to sign over the car to them)

Camper with canoe - SET 60057
White camper with 2 green strips (rather bland design so far unfortunately) and red canoe with 2 mini figs (1 man, 1 female)

Break-out of the prison transport - SET 60043
Heavy duty prisoner van (American type design) 8 wide with 1 red quad bike with chain breaking prisoner out of van. 3 mini figs 2 criminals & 1 police

Police boat transporter - SET 60045
4x4 police jeep with trailer & dingy boat with brick built rear with police sirens (2 mini figs)

Police motorcycle chase - SET 60042
White police car (same design as forest police) with 2 bikes (1x grey like indiana jones & 1x red bike) + small pavement with ramp. 3 x mini figs (2x criminals with 2x cash & 1 with back pack and 1 police)

??? (Police truck command centre?) - SET 60044
Standard police truck, only the front of the truck updated with a new look, simple POLICE logo with blue text on white, 2x police men & 1 prisoner - Nothing exciting

One additional note - the retailers catalog does not list exclusives, so there will be a couple sets in the major themes (CITY, SW) that will be in the 1H 2014 that have not been listed yet.

from Caseyref on Eurobricks:

One additional note - the retailers catalog does not list exclusives, so there will be a couple sets in the major themes (CITY, SW) that will be in the 1H 2014 that have not been listed yet.

When do the rumors of the UCS sets for next year start surfacing? I feel like we knew about the X-WIng and Ewok Village pretty early.

ghostmind

When do the rumors of the UCS sets for next year start surfacing? I feel like we knew about the X-WIng and Ewok Village pretty early.

I had the set number/name of the UCS X-wing in early January, but we did not have pics until much later (recall that rumors were flying that it was a trench run vignette at one time).

EDIT: I had the set number and name for Ewok Village in early February.

I had the set number/name of the UCS X-wing in early January, but we did not have pics until much later (recall that rumors were flying that it was a trench run vignette at one time).

EDIT: I had the set number and name for Ewok Village in early February.

So several months to go. Got it. Thank you.

Top Bottom