• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO GAF |OT2|: Building Dreams. Demolishing Wallets

wetwired

Wait, is that a brick built door too? How does that work?
Whoa. That is awesome. I really want to get tons of those "brick" bricks at some point. It is such a good look. And does the garage door actually swing up, Creator House style?

I will echo Calm Killer though: how sturdy is it with them stacked like that instead of staggered?

Neither of those doors open, since it's all for the expo I didn't bother, helps make it stronger too, which brings me to your next question...

The reason they're stacked is because if you offset them the brick pattern lines up perfectly (ie badly) in that the grooves of the brick are in line which looks odd, kind of a shame lego couldn't design them to not do that.

it's not terrible strong, hence the brick built doors for support and the lines of grey every so often to improve stability.

Stage 3,

Beginnings of the alleyway back wall (ignore the top part, there will be some windows up there). Spent a lot of time pulling both the GB building and the other one apart to accommodate the new wall so they butt up against each other cleanly. I need to adjust it some more to make it easier to pull apart for transport/storage.

buildingX_03A.jpg

I also added a light as I think even on display in the expo it might be a little dark in the alley.

buildingX_03B.jpg

buildingX_03C.jpg

I might try some sort of awning to cover up the wires. Add some bollards in front of the loading dock, more bins, a mutagen canister/spill too maybe.

I need to finalise the 2 new buildings though and get them done before I do any of that smaller detail in the alleyway as every time I want to change something on the building to accommodate the new alleyway I have to tear half of it down and rebuild again, so that will probably be tomorrows job.

Darn, that looks great! Would buy your sets if you became a set designer.

You will never see gore on a Lego set, I think the very possibility freaks them out...maybe lol
They don't do it. I thought they asked Wetwired to remove the "blood" from around his MedicBot if I remember right.

I debated about adding gore, but having it in the scene was too tempting.

Edit: and LEGO wouldn't dare put religious imagery in a set like those crosses on the tombstones.

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
What I picked up today.
9540447065_be976263f7_c.jpg

Two more storage bins and the MF Encyclopedia. I really can't wait to move now. I am supposed to close on my house the first week of September. I want to get all my LEGO in my LEGO room and start sorting. SO EXCITED!!

What I picked up today.

Two more storage bins and the MF Encyclopedia. I really can't wait to move now. I am supposed to close on my house the first week of September. I want to get all my LEGO in my LEGO room and start sorting. SO EXCITED!!
Now you need the new LEGO Play Book. Seriously. Probably the best official book out there.

R-User!

Stage 3,

Beginnings of the alleyway back wall (ignore the top part, there will be some windows up there). Spent a lot of time pulling both the GB building and the other one apart to accommodate the new wall so they butt up against each other cleanly. I need to adjust it some more to make it easier to pull apart for transport/storage.

buildingX_03A.jpg

I also added a light as I think even on display in the expo it might be a little dark in the alley.

buildingX_03B.jpg

buildingX_03C.jpg

If I'm right about what movie is playing in the background then this is appropriate...

"Not like this!..."

What I picked up today.

OCD organizing achievement reached! Congrats! Those need filling so buy more LEGO.

Vyer

What I picked up today.

Where'd you get the bins?

wetwired

The darken alley looks amazing. Did you buy a 3rd party light kit or make it yourself.

3rd party, but not for lego, for trains, they're 3mm LEDs, I could have probably done them myself pretty easily but I got it in the same order as the flashing lights for ecto-1 so I thought I'd get some larger ones to try for buildings, really tempted to buy more based on how this one turned out.

If I'm right about what movie is playing in the background then this is appropriate...

"Not like this!..."

Nah, it's not the matrix, I have no idea what it is to be honest, I was watching boardwalk empire while I was building but then turned it back onto whatever was on TV at the time.

Went back to my parents for the weekend/until Wednesday. Their Wal-Mart here actually does sales, which is nice.

Hulk Breakout for $35
Nazgul/Aragorn at the tower(Weathertop, right?) For $40
Unexpected Gathering for $40
Dwarves vs Orcs in tree set for $40
XWing for $40 (fuuuuuuuck I just got that for $50 two weeks ago)
Saesee Tiin's starfighter for $21 (Might go back for this)
Barriss Offee Geonosis set for $13
ARC and ARF trooper battle back for $8 - had about 10 sets
Endor Battle Pack for $8 - had about 20 sets
Galaxy Squad mech + ship thing for $40

None of them were massive deals or anything but it's nice to see a store I actually go to have actual clearance sections.

At a Toys R Us Express here, which is a mini TRU the size of a Starbucks, I got three S10 figures. Didn't feel em out and got an old man and two skydivers. Disappointing.

Going to the Mall of America Lego Land tomorrow. Excited to get PAB and possibly some S10 figures. Do employees ever help you out and get what you want? I'd love to get a few Spartans or whatever they are.

neonglow

Went back to my parents for the weekend/until Wednesday. Their Wal-Mart here actually does sales, which is nice.

Hulk Breakout for $35
Nazgul/Aragorn at the tower(Weathertop, right?) For $40
Unexpected Gathering for $40
Dwarves vs Orcs in tree set for $40
XWing for $40 (fuuuuuuuck I just got that for $50 two weeks ago)
Saesee Tiin's starfighter for $21 (Might go back for this)
Barriss Offee Geonosis set for $13
ARC and ARF trooper battle back for $8 - had about 10 sets
Endor Battle Pack for $8 - had about 20 sets
Galaxy Squad mech + ship thing for $40

None of them were massive deals or anything but it's nice to see a store I actually go to have actual clearance sections.

At a Toys R Us Express here, which is a mini TRU the size of a Starbucks, I got three S10 figures. Didn't feel em out and got an old man and two skydivers. Disappointing.

Going to the Mall of America Lego Land tomorrow. Excited to get PAB and possibly some S10 figures. Do employees ever help you out and get what you want? I'd love to get a few Spartans or whatever they are.

If you go during non peak hours, they employees will help you out if you ask nicely.

If you go during non peak hours, they employees will help you out if you ask nicely.
Whenever I went during early hours during the week, I am one of the only customers there for close to an hour. It is awesome. Casually do the PAB wall while chatting with employees. No rush. No pressure.

neonglow

I went to the local toy show this weekend and manged to pick up some LEGO sets.

These were the sets I purchased that were still sealed. I was very happy to get the limited edition Christmas Tree.
Single Drum Roller $25
2011 Christmas Tree $10
Toy Story Army Man polybag $4

I also purchased the Republic Attack Shuttle used and complete for $35. It looks nice displayed but this is the worst and flimsiest Star Wars set I now own. It is just poorly build and designed. It's achieves all it's angles with the use of tons of clips and hinges that end up weakening the structure. Pieces are always falling off if you hold it incorrectly and a pain to put back together. I can see kids being frustrated while trying to swoosh it.

ghostmind

I went to the local toy show this weekend and manged to pick up some LEGO sets.

These were the sets I purchased that were still sealed. I was very happy to get the limited edition Christmas Tree.
Single Drum Roller $25
2011 Christmas Tree $10
Toy Story Army Man polybag $4

I'm on the lookout for that roller for my future City - the whole Construction subtheme for 2009 was well done.

Went to the flea market today, found a good size bin of Lego for 25 bucks and a supposed complete copy of 7261...but I bring it home and it's NOT. There are a good amount of pieces though so I guess I could just sell it off and get MOAR Lego. The pieces in the bin don't fit my fancy all that much but I picked it clean of the good stuff and will sell it off lol

My TRU got in both of the 2013 Advent Calendar set (SW and City). They also finally have Jedi Defender in stock at 89.99, conveniently the day after 15% coupon expired...

67I4GQAl.jpg

mojiimbo

I think "officially" it's forbidden for employees now that Mr. Gold is at play.

My TRU got in both of the 2013 Advent Calendar set (SW and City). They also finally have Jedi Defender in stock at 89.99, conveniently the day after 15% coupon expired...

67I4GQAl.jpg

They have had the Jedi Defender for weeks here, but I have been strong. Only after I saw about the coupon did I realize that it was a TRU exclusive and at MSRP for once. And of course they were sold out. It is for the better anyways. I can wait on it.

They have had the Jedi Defender for weeks here, but I have been strong. Only after I saw about the coupon did I realize that it was a TRU exclusive and at MSRP for once. And of course they were sold out. It is for the better anyways. I can wait on it.
I ended up order online but I would rather pick it up @ the store since there is no sale tax in Oregon. No lawn mover poly bag, it's a smaller TRU and they usually late at getting stuffs.

neonglow

67I4GQAl.jpg

The Jedi Defender is currently instock:
www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=23263696

The 15% coupon got extended by a week for online purchases. Use code EXTRA15 at checkout. However the coupon savings brings you below the free shipping threshold so you'll have to add a $4+ item to get free shipping back.

Personally, I'm just gonna wait until September to get it at the LEGO Shop to get the mini van and clone trooper as well as VIP points. Those 2 items are worth more than the savings from TRU.

The Jedi Defender is currently instock:
www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=23263696

The 15% coupon got extended by a week for online purchases. Use code EXTRA15 at checkout. However the coupon savings brings you below the free shipping threshold so you'll have to add a $4+ item to get free shipping back.

Personally, I'm just gonna wait until September to get it at the LEGO Shop to get the mini van and clone trooper as well as VIP points. Those 2 items are worth more than the savings from TRU.
I already ordered it and did add a small set to get free shipping, but now that you mention it I might just return them and get them at LEGO store here, I would save on tax and get VIP points.

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
I'm on the lookout for that roller for my future City - the whole Construction subtheme for 2009 was well done.

I am as well.$25 is a good price for that set. Wish I had a local toy shop that carried old sets.

The newspaper polybag promo has started this week in the UK (it actually started Saturday, but I was ill over the weekend). Unfortunately you have to buy a copy of the Hitler-supporting Daily Mail, but you can stick it straight in the recycling bin when you leave the shop.

Mail%20LEGO.jpg

wetwired

Stage 4, Pretty much structurally complete and sturdy. I also spent a bit of time making sure I could take them apart easily and reattach.

buildingX_04A.jpg

A wild donatello appears

buildingX_04B.jpg

Now I have a lot of detail work to do, you can see the beginnings of the fire escape which I need to finalise the design of and then finish, I need to put the asian panels on the bottom floor which will require pulling it mostly apart to do, while I do that though I'll add some windows above those sections, do an awning, more windows in the side of the building, maybe a downpipe, some cabling, vents and airconditioners on the roof, mutagen canister on the alleyway with a spill (I might buy some of those turtle animals to put around it with a rat). The left hand side of the building you never see will be covering in vines, I think I'll put white or some colour other than black behind the open windows too so you can't see inside.

All that stuff and any suggestions you guys might have

Top Bottom