• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO GAF |OT2|: Building Dreams. Demolishing Wallets

Jimbro72

Stage 4, Pretty much structurally complete and sturdy. I also spent a bit of time making sure I could take them apart easily and reattach.

buildingX_04A.jpg

A wild donatello appears

buildingX_04B.jpg

Now I have a lot of detail work to do, you can see the beginnings of the fire escape which I need to finalise the design of and then finish, I need to put the asian panels on the bottom floor which will require pulling it mostly apart to do, while I do that though I'll add some windows above those sections, do an awning, more windows in the side of the building, maybe a downpipe, some cabling, vents and airconditioners on the roof, mutagen canister on the alleyway with a spill (I might buy some of those turtle animals to put around it with a rat). The left hand side of the building you never see will be covering in vines, I think I'll put white or some colour other than black behind the open windows too so you can't see inside.

All that stuff and any suggestions you guys might have

Wow, good stuff. That looks amazing! I'd love to see LEGO release a modular like that with a narrower building with an alley way next to it, much like yours.

Stage 4, Pretty much structurally complete and sturdy. I also spent a bit of time making sure I could take them apart easily and reattach.

To echo everyone else here, your alley is amazing. The light lends itself to a TMNT mood perfectly.

On an unrelated note, is this a thing? I don't think I posted it before but I found it in a box in my basement. Is this an actual set or was I smart enough to figure this out as a kid? Seems incomplete.

To echo everyone else here, your alley is amazing. The light lends itself to a TMNT mood perfectly.

On an unrelated note, is this a thing? I don't think I posted it before but I found it in a box in my basement. Is this an actual set or was I smart enough to figure this out as a kid? Seems incomplete.

8030-1.jpg

Closest I could find.

buildingX_04A.jpg

A wild donatello appears

buildingX_04B.jpg

Now I have a lot of detail work to do, you can see the beginnings of the fire escape which I need to finalise the design of and then finish, I need to put the asian panels on the bottom floor which will require pulling it mostly apart to do, while I do that though I'll add some windows above those sections, do an awning, more windows in the side of the building, maybe a downpipe, some cabling, vents and airconditioners on the roof, mutagen canister on the alleyway with a spill (I might buy some of those turtle animals to put around it with a rat). The left hand side of the building you never see will be covering in vines, I think I'll put white or some colour other than black behind the open windows too so you can't see inside.

Like anyone else sane, I love it! Especially the lighted loading area, it's so moody.

You should definitely get a few Friends turtles, and for effect you should repaint them :D

buildingX_04A.jpg

A wild donatello appears

buildingX_04B.jpg

As always mate, it's beautiful. You're a true artist. Well done.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
The newspaper polybag promo has started this week in the UK (it actually started Saturday, but I was ill over the weekend). Unfortunately you have to buy a copy of the Hitler-supporting Daily Mail, but you can stick it straight in the recycling bin when you leave the shop.

Mail%20LEGO.jpg

Ah, missed the Lone Ranger. Already have SW so may just get the friends ones for the minifigs

Mr Mike

1 million Canadian dollars
WH Smith in the UK seems to have put Series 11 on sale early. Grabbed a bunch today... and out of 8 packets (they also are giving out 'Save £5 on £15 spent on LEGO' vouchers, btw!) three were duplicates and the other two were ones I didn't need. Love the British copper and the yeti, though!

Hankering for the waitress (or two) so I can finally complete a Diner MOC I finished a year ago but haven't properly kitted out with minifigs.

Ponn

Banned
Just a heads up, noticing most of the Monster Fighters sets except the castle are now through 3rd party sellers only. Sort of like last call for the fence sitters thing. Halloweens only a couple months away. Might suck to see pictures of cool Halloween scenes but have to pay high prices for the sets. Subtle enough?

BUY MONSTER FIGHTERS SETS NOW BEFORE IT'S TOO LATE!!!!

There, that better?

Just a heads up, noticing most of the Monster Fighters sets except the castle are now through 3rd party sellers only. Sort of like last call for the fence sitters thing. Halloweens only a couple months away. Might suck to see pictures of cool Halloween scenes but have to pay high prices for the sets. Subtle enough?

There, that better?

MF is one of the best series I've collected in a while, listen to this man.

There, that better?

MF is one of the best series I've collected in a while, listen to this man.
If you pick up only two from the series, make it Haunted House and Vampyre Castle. If you can pick only one set, Haunted House.
Haunted House is the best set of last year, and better than anything else I have built this year. I would go so far as saying it is the second best set currently available. Death Star still wins, but Haunted House is VERY close.

Monster Fighters succeeded in being a great balance between mini figs that prey on nostalgia, and builds that had tons of character and personality on their own. It was great because everyone has some memory of the horror films the figures are referencing, and the sets played into nearly every horror movie cliche to great effect.

The best way to put it is that every set had personality to it. Especially Vampyre Castle and Haunted House. It is like the series kept building in coolness and culminated in those two. If they somehow continued the series on an annual Halloween release basis, I don't see how they could seriously top Hainted House. Unless they released a 3000 piece castle set.

neonglow

Monster Fighters succeeded in being a great balance between mini figs that prey on nostalgia, and builds that had tons of character and personality on their own. It was great because everyone has some memory of the horror films the figures are referencing, and the sets played into nearly every horror movie cliche to great effect.

The best way to put it is that every set had personality to it. Especially Vampyre Castle and Haunted House. It is like the series kept building in coolness and culminated in those two. If they somehow continued the series on an annual Halloween release basis, I don't see how they could seriously top Hainted House. Unless they released a 3000 piece castle set.

Maybe a theatre stage with the Phantom of the Opera playing a piano?

Ponn

Banned

I'd want either an In the Mouth of Madness set or Event Horizon. They could introduce a new type of brick to, the "You Going F'N Crazy" brick.

ghostmind

2014 1H Friends

Animals:
41041 Turtle's Little Paradise
41042 Tiger's Beautiful Temple
41043 Penguin's Playground

Sets:
41026 Sunshine Harvest
41027 Mia's Lemonade Stand
41028 Emma's Lifeguard Post
40129 Stephanie's Newborn Lamb
40135 Heartlake Juice Bar
40137 Stephanie's Beach House
40139 Sunshine Ranch
40156 Heartlake News Van
40157 Heartlake Horse Show

Turtles (again),Tigers and Penguins! But with Friends bodies/faces...

EDIT: hoping that "Mission at the Beach" is an exclusive

2014 1H Friends

Animals:

Sets:
41026 Sunshine Harvest
40139 Sunshine Ranch
40156 Heartlake News Van

Juice Bar, Beach House, Ranch, and News Van (especially News Van) intrigue me.

Ry'leh set. Tons of ancient ruins, some explorers, a boats, and a brickbuilt cthulu.

2014 1H Friends

Animals:

Sets:
41026 Sunshine Harvest
40139 Sunshine Ranch
40156 Heartlake News Van

Sunshine Harvest...I'd love for them to include some fruits/veggies we haven't had yet...where's my Lego pumpkin?

Ry'leh set. Tons of ancient ruins, some explorers, a boats, and a brickbuilt cthulu.
Human minds would not be able to comprehend it.

Really the only way they could make the series transcend everything would be to delve head first into R rated, messed up horror stuff. I would love it, biput Lego would never do it.

2014 1H Friends

Animals:

Sets:
41026 Sunshine Harvest
40139 Sunshine Ranch
40156 Heartlake News Van

Tigers and Penguins! Penguin! I'm calling mine Gunter and the next one Linux. LEGO needs to branch out into the animal world for their regular sets. If not, Friends can do a zoo or safari theme.

Ponn

Banned
Human minds would not be able to comprehend it.

Really the only way they could make the series transcend everything would be to delve head first into R rated, messed up horror stuff. I would love it, biput Lego would never do it.

Ah, but what if they made it part of the Friends line.

Emma's Sacrificial Lamb

Sarah's Miskatonic Dorm

Donna's Fhtagn

Ah, but what if they made it part of the Friends line.

Emma's Sacrificial Lamb

Sarah's Miskatonic Dorm

Donna's Fhtagn

The LEGO Sorority House Nightmare line.

Series of the forever!

Seriously, an R rated horror theme from LEGO would be incredible. Thinking back on my Camp Crystal Lake idea, it could come with horny coed figures. Every mini figure has a special slot in the chest to shove a knife or machete through.

The LEGO Sorority House Nightmare line.

Series of the forever!

Seriously, an R rated horror theme from LEGO would be incredible. Thinking back on my Camp Crystal Lake idea, it could come with horny coed figures. Every mini figure has a special slot in the chest to shove a knife or machete through.

You can already do that between the torso and legs.

You can already do that between the torso and legs.

True. I did that last year with a few impaled figures. :) Think I might have a line of impaled figures for my diorama now.

But I am meaning a small slit through the middle of the chest so you can stick a mini figure to a wall. Michael Myers style.

halloweenblu19-1.jpg

EDIT: I can't wait for the upcoming Halloween anniversary blu ray. Transfer supervised by Dean Cundey? Droooooooool.

NeoGAF finally back up for me. Wasn't getting my daily NeoGAF LEGO fix...

Well done.

Olivia's on the run for tax evasion and fraud. You thought she got her fortune legitimately?

This leads perfectly to Friends in Prison theme. Each main character gets a special cell with their interests.
All those city police sets, yet nowhere to put these criminals. No wonder they need so many police in LEGO city.

Olivia's Meth Lab (ala Breaking Bad) - She loves science, but needs to fund her research.

Peter & Anna's swingers clubhouse.

This leads perfectly to Friends in Prison theme. Each main character gets a special cell with their interests.

Olivia's Meth Lab (ala Breaking Bad) - She loves science, but needs to fund her research.

All those city police sets, yet nowhere to put these criminals. No wonder they need so many police in LEGO city.

I'd like to see some MOCs of this happen

New LEGO Creator sets for 2014. I'll definitely pick up the monkey and toucan set even though the monkey kinda looks freaky.

31019-1.jpg

Is that using the new 1x2 ball joint used by the Mixels? I hope so. I can see myself getting 3 of those monkeys. Monkey is freaky, but that can be tweaked so they are more scary. :)

Finally found it at a shop.. This one's hard to get here already!

ylzSI2t.jpg

9nQvteF.jpg

Already a LOT bigger than I imagined it was going to be. Build has been fun so far; Bag 4 of 10 done.

Can't wait to have it on display with a bunch of my extra Clone Troopers.

Ponn

Banned
Oh God I need that monkey/toucan set like now that is so awesome. I'm going to have the monkey climbing my Tower of Orthanc.

So i'm kinda freaking out here. I had finished the first book and floor of HH but haven't gone back to it in awhile till today. I started doing the 2nd floor which according to the 2nd book was all the number 3 bags. Everything is fine then I start missing flat 2x1 green pieces, then some single black pieces for the windows. I'm not missing alot of pieces, not like a bags worth but I was looking all over for a bag I might have missed and started using from the number 4 bags which according to the book are all for the 3rd floor and roof. Are these just mislabeled and the pieces are supposed to be in the number 4 bags or am I really missing some pieces? I finished the 2nd floor but this kind of bummed me out so I put it up to finish the third floor another day.

bodine1231

If you pick up only two from the series, make it Haunted House and Vampyre Castle. If you can pick only one set, Haunted House.
Haunted House is the best set of last year, and better than anything else I have built this year. I would go so far as saying it is the second best set currently available. Death Star still wins, but Haunted House is VERY close.

In the Brickpicker forums there are a few people saying that Haunted House isn't going anywhere till next year so I'd consider buying the other stuff first.

New LEGO Creator sets for 2014. I'll definitely pick up the monkey and toucan set even though the monkey kinda looks freaky.

31019-1.jpg

31017-1.jpg

MONKEY!

tumblr_mcf4m11BzK1r5gow3o1_500.gif

tumblr_mcf4m11BzK1r5gow3o2_500.gif

tumblr_mcf4m11BzK1r5gow3o3_500.gif

Seriously awesome. And so different from anything else. I wonder what the alt builds are.

In the Brickpicker forums there are a few people saying that Haunted House isn't going anywhere till next year so I'd consider buying the other stuff first.

In that case, VAMPYRE CASTLE! Been playing with it lately as I plot how to fit it into the diorama. The nice thing is that you can separate the castle up and rearrange it however you want. Which is good.

Top Bottom