• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO GAF |OT2|: Building Dreams. Demolishing Wallets

I was telling someone about the catalog that gets mailed out with the 10% coupon but then she asked me how to get on the mailing list and I didn't know how I got on it myself. I figure someone here would know.

I was telling someone about the catalog that gets mailed out with the 10% coupon but then she asked me how to get on the mailing list and I didn't know how I got on it myself. I figure someone here would know.
Order something from the site and opt in to receive mailings. The coupons are not a guarantee though.

Order something from the site and opt in to receive mailings. The coupons are not a guarantee though.

The coupons do not get included in non-US catalogs either.

Additionally, some countries (like Canada) have to opt-in to the catalog every time they release a new one. This can be done on the S@H website, but that rarely works. Usually a quick call to customer service does the trick. 1-800-835-4386.

Again - this is just for Canadians (and possibly other non-US residents).

Whoa.

thumb640x360.jpg

This leads perfectly to Friends in Prison theme. Each main character gets a special cell with their interests.
All those city police sets, yet nowhere to put these criminals. No wonder they need so many police in LEGO city.

Olivia's Meth Lab (ala Breaking Bad) - She loves science, but needs to fund her research.

Peter & Anna's swingers clubhouse.

Looks like we've got the theme for the next MOC competition :)

wetwired

There's like some CUUSOO drama between the 2 Jurassic Park sets. People are flaming the creator of the T-rex set for getting the other JP set deleted.

http://lego.cuusoo.com/ideas/view/47246#CommentsTab

I read through the comments, from what I can tell seems BrickQueen submitted a JP set based on this guys design. She has a really popular youtube channel and a heap of her "fans" are up in arms about it. I'm not really sure why she's so popular though to be honest, her creations seemed pretty average and her videos weren't on par with the Brick Show in my opinion.

ECZrSzG.jpg

This KIT.

Build was awesome, finished product is hugely impressive.

Loaded it up with all the Clones I had from other kits last night.

Had no idea it was going to be this big though, so I'm struggling to find somewhere with the display space now!

ghostmind

I read through the comments, from what I can tell seems BrickQueen submitted a JP set based on this guys design. She has a really popular youtube channel and a heap of her "fans" are up in arms about it. I'm not really sure why she's so popular though to be honest, her creations seemed pretty average and her videos weren't on par with the Brick Show in my opinion.

Apparently this may not be the only design that she has swiped and then claimed as her own, though it is difficult to wade through the two sides on this to get a clear picture.

wetwired

Just noticed this video she did about it as well.

I don't know what the circumstances are behind it all but I don't think she did herself any favours with this video, as her fans are gonna spam the crap our of cuusoo now and diminish her chances of getting reinstated. She would have been better off quietly communicating with cuusoo behind the scenes to find the cause of the issue and a solution.

Whimsical Phil

Ninja School will help you
Question for those of you who have used a lot of BrickLink.

Does anyone know of any good stores there that have a lot of Duplo bricks? I have an 18-month-old son, and I'm just starting to get him into Duplo. I've bought him a few sets already, but they don't come with nearly enough "regular" bricks (2x2s, 4x2, you know).

I just want to order him a mess of the old standbys in a nice variety of colors, and if I can do so without having to pay for shipping from multiple stores, I would be much happier.

neonglow

Does anyone know of any good stores there that have a lot of Duplo bricks? I have an 18-month-old son, and I'm just starting to get him into Duplo. I've bought him a few sets already, but they don't come with nearly enough "regular" bricks (2x2s, 4x2, you know).

I just want to order him a mess of the old standbys in a nice variety of colors, and if I can do so without having to pay for shipping from multiple stores, I would be much happier.

If you can wait until Black Friday, both Walmart and Target will have incredible deals on basic Duplo and LEGO blocks at usually 50% off or more. I've picked up a few the past couple years. It's 3 months away if you can wait that long.

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
Back on topic, I'm not a fan of the frame around the windscreen for the car but that t-rex is amazing

The T-Rex is the star of this no question. I wish I had 1/3 of the creativity it took to make it.

Just noticed this video she did about it as well.

I don't know what the circumstances are behind it all but I don't think she did herself any favours with this video, as her fans are gonna spam the crap our of cuusoo now and diminish her chances of getting reinstated. She would have been better off quietly communicating with cuusoo behind the scenes to find the cause of the issue and a solution.

I don't know anything about this woman's channel, her sets or the other JP sets. I feel pretty badly for her though-if she's getting this unabashedly emotional and dramatic about LEGO then she probably has some legitimate social issues.

Is she popular? I know my 7 year old nephew talks about her all the time.

Regardless of whether or not she stole someone's design(s), the misogynistic messages she claims to be receiving need to stop. That shit is not above board.

Edit:
From the comments page:
gavinneo99
Um...... brickqueen fans...... we do not actually noe hu is the guy hu did all the flagging. So it's better to noe hu did it 1st than to just start accusing ppl

I FEAR FOR OUR FUTURE.

Edit #2:
spiderman
This is Madness! I'm Spider man and I demand you to reactivate brickqueen's account!

Phew. Faith in humanity restored.

Edit #3:
willwaldron
Brick queen did nothing wrong and Lego I am deserpoint in you

Why am I reading these comments? I need to stop. I am deserpointed in myself.

robochimp

Goodwill is usually a DUPLO gold mine. Like 50 pieces for $3. My wife also found a lego/DUPLO table ( the top flips for whichever style you're building.) for $5.

We also recently found some LEGO Quatros at goodwill. They're pretty much LEGO's version of megablocks that actually stay together and work with DUPLO.

My son just turned 2 and he loves building houses and rocket ships.

Goodwill is usually a DUPLO gold mine. Like 50 pieces for $3. My wife also found a lego/DUPLO table ( the top flips for whichever style you're building.) for $5.

We also recently found some LEGO Quatros at goodwill. They're pretty much LEGO's version of megablocks that actually stay together and work with DUPLO.

This, this very much. I even found an unopened Duplo Zoo set there that I gave to my mom since she often works at an inner city school. I find Duplos all the time at the thrift stores.

There's like some CUUSOO drama between the 2 Jurassic Park sets. People are flaming the creator of the T-rex set for getting the other JP set deleted.

http://lego.cuusoo.com/ideas/view/47246#CommentsTab

My brain hurts trying to read those comments. Is there a TLDR version other than what has been posted here?

Back on topic, I'm not a fan of the frame around the windscreen for the car but that t-rex is amazing
There's a car with that set? All I see is an amazing T. rex. :)

ghostmind

My brain hurts trying to read those comments. Is there a TLDR version other than what has been posted here?

There's a car with that set? All I see is an amazing T. rex. :)

LEGO has already commented on the matter:

Hi everyone. Our team has reviewed the activities of some LEGO CUUSOO users and found them in violation of our Terms of Service. For privacy reasons that's all we'll share. We've taken the necessary actions consistent with our policies.

There are accusations flying all over the place, since BrickQueen decided to make that video and send her fans into a frenzy, but there is something that those that are frothing at the mouth are missing:

Generic Ideas
Many projects are “generic” ideas of things that already exist in the world built with LEGO bricks; for example a LEGO elephant, or a LEGO vehicle from a movie. If you post your version of something generic, we won’t stop someone else from posting their own version. This means the value of a generic project is in the substance behind your work, combined with the popular support. If two users publish the same generic idea and one does a better job communicating and gaining support, it is only fair to give weight to the better executed project.

So BrickQueen has been banned for something a bit more than her emotional video would allude to. I've heard some theories that paint her as not as innocent as she would portray, but I'm not going to get into mudslinging. However, this recent trend of LEGO YouTube "celebrities" has become a bit ugly and disturbing of late.

I'm almost afraid to ask anymore of this trend of Lego youtube celebrities...it sounds like it already has too much potential for drama, like what we're seeing now.

I don't know anything about this woman's channel, her sets or the other JP sets. I feel pretty badly for her though-if she's getting this unabashedly emotional and dramatic about LEGO then she probably has some legitimate social issues.

Is she popular? I know my 7 year old nephew talks about her all the time.

Regardless of whether or not she stole someone's design(s), the misogynistic messages she claims to be receiving need to stop. That shit is not above board.

Edit:
From the comments page:
gavinneo99
Um...... brickqueen fans...... we do not actually noe hu is the guy hu did all the flagging. So it's better to noe hu did it 1st than to just start accusing ppl

I FEAR FOR OUR FUTURE.

Edit #2:
spiderman
This is Madness! I'm Spider man and I demand you to reactivate brickqueen's account!

Phew. Faith in humanity restored.

Edit #3:
willwaldron
Brick queen did nothing wrong and Lego I am deserpoint in you

Why am I reading these comments? I need to stop. I am deserpointed in myself.

Wow. Brickqueen fans will upset Cuusoo people even more if that's how they are campaigning.

I am withholding judgement until I have more facts. Jurassic Park is an IP that many have made their own take on. Not too different from another IP (with 10+k votes *cough") we're familiar with that had different takes on it. My question is what evidence is there that it's not a take on the same IP and that it was ripped off? I can understand the project being removed, but there has to be more for the whole account to be banned. Oh wait...those comments above from her followers...

I feel bad for mentioning this but it's too easy and my OCD pun nature is kinda like Tourette syndrome.

Brickqueen + Drama = ???

I just watched a random Brick Queen review video. I could do better than that with my low rent production values. I need a new hobby. Perhaps some LEGO reviews on YouTube. If I could muster up the gumption to actually do it.

I say I am going to do a lot of things and never do them...

Whimsical Phil

Ninja School will help you

Hmmm...good call. I'll have to scout around. Thanks!

Oh, wow...they made a Minifigure of my original character Krangwave from my Transformers/TMNT slash fiction.

Kinda confused about all of this drama... Lego CUUSOO banned her account, right? Because it was brought to their attention by a seemingly copious amount of flagging by CUUSOO users? Surely, they don't just ban accounts willy-nilly. Like they said, terms have been breached, so obviously she has prima facie made a boo-boo.

Are all her fans up in arms just because? So juicy. Let's keep this drama train rolling!

Ponn

Banned
I just watched a random Brick Queen review video. I could do better than that with my low rent production values. I need a new hobby. Perhaps some LEGO reviews on YouTube. If I could muster up the gumption to actually do it.

I say I am going to do a lot of things and never do them...

I've been trying to get my friend to expand on his little gaming blog and get a real site going. Told him I would love to go in and help since I like to write and would like to get something out there to point to and build some experience. I have anxiety issues though so i'm not sure I could pull off youtube videos, it would have to be a hurdle to eventually get past since podcasts just don't cut it anymore. Especially with Lego. If I can get him to do it and go full steam ahead I really would like to make it an all encompassing site with gaming, figures, Lego, comics and other "geek" stuff.

Another subject, and I know i've asked this before but this is the last time I promise.

Daily Bugle or Batmobile/Two Face chase?

I've been trying to get my friend to expand on his little gaming blog and get a real site going. Told him I would love to go in and help since I like to write and would like to get something out there to point to and build some experience. I have anxiety issues though so i'm not sure I could pull off youtube videos, it would have to be a hurdle to eventually get past since podcasts just don't cut it anymore. Especially with Lego. If I can get him to do it and go full steam ahead I really would like to make it an all encompassing site with gaming, figures, Lego, comics and other "geek" stuff.

Another subject, and I know i've asked this before but this is the last time I promise.

Daily Bugle or Batmobile/Two Face chase?
As a set, Daily Bugle is okay at best. But as a mini fig pack, it is hard to top. Two Face chase looks cool, but I don't have it yet. So that looks like a fun and cool build, and decent set.

EDIT:

Two-Face Chase gets you these figures:
sh007.jpg

sh016.jpg

sh021.jpg

sh022.jpg

sh023.jpg

You get Two-Face, Batman, two henchmen, and a generic guard/cop.

Daily Bugle Showdown gets you these though:
sh038.jpg

sh051.jpg

sh052.jpg

sh053.jpg

sh054.jpg

You get Spidey, Nova, J. Jonah Jameson, Beetle, and Doctor Fracking Doom.

Yeah, that is a really hard set to top for figures. Too bad the build itself is mediocre.

Ponn

Banned
Winter Village Market will be available on September 16th from LEGO stores and S@H for VIP members.
ugh, I still have to get Winter Cottage. I'm trying to wait on Village Market till Brickfriday to get whatever specials they have this year. I decided to skip the PS4 so i'm going to splurge on myself this Black Friday for Christmas and my Bday (this year BF is the same day as my Bday!)

As a set, Daily Bugle is okay at best. But as a mini fig pack, it is hard to top. Two Face chase looks cool, but I don't have it yet. So that looks like a fun and cool build, and decent set.

I've been on a Marvel kick since Quinjet (your fault) so that is why i'm looking at Daily Bugle, which is really the last Marvel set to get at this point for me.

Batmobile set I want pretty much for the Batmobile. I don't like the Two Face fig, but I kind of need him for Arkham and i'm afraid the set is about to retire like Catwoman just did.

I've been on a Marvel kick since Quinjet (your fault) so that is why i'm looking at Daily Bugle, which is really the last Marvel set to get at this point for me.

Batmobile set I want pretty much for the Batmobile. I don't like the Two Face fig, but I kind of need him for Arkham and i'm afraid the set is about to retire like Catwoman just did.

Blame Ghostmind for Quinjet as well. He and I have been pimping that set pretty hard for the last year. But glad that you, and many others, gave into the temptation for it wound up loving it. What it did for me was make me a big fan of Marcos Bessa.

EDIT:
I keep seeing pics of the Republic Gunship. Hnnng. That set does look awesome. I need that and the Jedi Defender Shuttle or whatever it is called.

It's my new favourite display piece.

Jedi Defender Class Cruiser is next on the buy list for me.

I might get Jek's just for the minifigs.

wetwired

Kinda confused about all of this drama... Lego CUUSOO banned her account, right? Because it was brought to their attention by a seemingly copious amount of flagging by CUUSOO users? Surely, they don't just ban accounts willy-nilly. Like they said, terms have been breached, so obviously she has prima facie made a boo-boo.

Are all her fans up in arms just because? So juicy. Let's keep this drama train rolling!

Some of the comments seem to suggest either she or her fans were making multiple accounts to vote for her stuff

Also, saw this on Brothers Brick, so good

Iridescent Flight by Siercon and Coral, on Flickr

Some of the comments seem to suggest either she or her fans were making multiple accounts to vote for her stuff

And what of what Ghostmind said about her possibly lifting ideas from others and passing them off as her own?

Never in my life did I think I would see drama like this over LEGO.

wetwired

And what of what Ghostmind said about her possibly lifting ideas from others and passing them off as her own?

Never in my life did I think I would see drama like this over LEGO.

No idea what the real case is, I think it wouldn't be the lifting ideas from other people that got her banned because the creations I saw of hers weren't very impressive enough to think they'd been stolen.

Top Bottom