• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO GAF |OT2|: Building Dreams. Demolishing Wallets

wetwired

So my original idea for the dark knight rises scene was to use the town hall. Last night for some reason I'd see if I had enough parts to do a unique building in white. Turns out it was a bad idea anyway as the results didn't really work, the sense of scale is just off completely and I was running short of bricks anyway. I thought I'd share my reject building though, but I think I'll stick with the town hall set as it is, perhaps make it tan instead of brown.

reject.jpg

So my original idea for the dark knight rises scene was to use the town hall. Last night for some reason I'd see if I had enough parts to do a unique building in white. Turns out it was a bad idea anyway as the results didn't really work, the sense of scale is just off completely and I was running short of bricks anyway. I thought I'd share my reject building though, but I think I'll stick with the town hall set as it is, perhaps make it tan instead of brown.

reject.jpg

Columns look great, but I see what you mean by the sense of scale. It almost has to be double that size.

Some of the comments seem to suggest either she or her fans were making multiple accounts to vote for her stuff

Also, saw this on Brothers Brick, so good

Iridescent Flight by Siercon and Coral, on Flickr

The builds that come out of Iron Builder are amazing. Siercon and Coral (husband and wife team) have some amazing builds in previous competitions. Check them out.

Competitions are usually hosted on V&A Steamworks flickr photostream.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/32482342@N05/9511765587/

reject.jpg

Looks nice, but I do see you point of size. Maybe do a chibi version. :)

ghostmind

And what of what Ghostmind said about her possibly lifting ideas from others and passing them off as her own?

Never in my life did I think I would see drama like this over LEGO.

Lifting ideas wouldn't get her banned, unless it was a completely original idea (and not a pre-existing property) that was obviously copied - so says the LEGO TOS.

The lifting ideas thing comes from some MOCs she has previously presented on her channel as wholly her own creations, but has had some MOC'ers react in that she had copied their work, to the point of duplicating it almost entirely. However, I have not seen any definitive proof of this yet, nor am i seeking it out.

Lifting ideas wouldn't get her banned, unless it was a completely original idea (and not a pre-existing property) that was obviously copied - so says the LEGO TOS.

The lifting ideas thing comes from some MOCs she has previously presented on her channel as wholly her own creations, but has had some MOC'ers react in that she had copied their work, to the point of duplicating it almost entirely. However, I have not seen any definitive proof of this yet, nor am i seeking it out.
How I am with many things like this. Just let it go, and enjoy the hobby.

neonglow

Found the new Lawn Mower polybag at my Toys R Us today. The nifty thing about the set is that the gears in front spin as the mower moves.

Here's a short video of the mower in action:

http://youtu.be/81C2u_Td42k

My TRU has a couple more. If anyone in the US is interested in trading polybags, I can go back and try to get some more.

Dr. Doom's Doom Ray of Doom! Bwahahaha.

Soooo many minifigs that could be. Where are they?!? Take my money!!!!

I hunger. I will consume your money!

I hope they release Galactus as a giant minifig - they could do him as one of the clocks, maybe with a panel to hide the clock face.

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
Some of the comments seem to suggest either she or her fans were making multiple accounts to vote for her stuff

Also, saw this on Brothers Brick, so good

Iridescent Flight by Siercon and Coral, on Flickr

This is amazing. I love it. It really boggles my mind that people can come up with this stuff in their mind and then relay that into an amazing build. I am sure it also helps that they have a lot more brick options than I currently own.

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
Found the new Lawn Mower polybag at my Toys R Us today. The nifty thing about the set is that the gears in front spin as the mower moves.

My TRU has a couple more. If anyone in the US is interested in trading polybags, I can go back and try to get some more.

I might.....I will have to check at a Toys R US the next time I am at one. I just don't know when that would be.

ruxtpin

Banned
Been combing through previous featured builds on the Brothers-Brick website. Everything I've done with my building seems so insignificant. Some of the stuff on there is bananas!

Dragoshi1

What would be a good place to sell Lego sets locally?

My Lego room is packed to the brim, and I want to clear out some sets I no longer desire, and I also desire some cash moniez.

I can't do online sites, however, as I don't have moolah to be shipping things places, so a good local place would be nice. Something in the Tampa florida area, mayhaps?

reject.jpg

jjbZqDZ.gif

that looks great
yes I am serious

R-User!

I don't know anything about this woman's channel, her sets or the other JP sets. I feel pretty badly for her though-if she's getting this unabashedly emotional and dramatic about LEGO then she probably has some legitimate social issues.

Is she popular? I know my 7 year old nephew talks about her all the time.

Regardless of whether or not she stole someone's design(s), the misogynistic messages she claims to be receiving need to stop. That shit is not above board.

Edit:
From the comments page:
gavinneo99
Um...... brickqueen fans...... we do not actually noe hu is the guy hu did all the flagging. So it's better to noe hu did it 1st than to just start accusing ppl

I FEAR FOR OUR FUTURE.

Edit #2:
spiderman
This is Madness! I'm Spider man and I demand you to reactivate brickqueen's account!

Phew. Faith in humanity restored.

Edit #3:
willwaldron
Brick queen did nothing wrong and Lego I am deserpoint in you

Why am I reading these comments? I need to stop. I am deserpointed in myself.

Should we be deserpointed in you too? :)

ghostmind

According to GRogall over at EB, the 5001709 Clone Trooper Lieutenant promo will only be for USA & Canada in September. I believe it will then expand to other countries in October.

R-User!

3QkAvSwl.jpg

I don't know what else fits into a Minifigs arm legally, but the ripcord of the speedors does!!!

Time for you to stock up on speedors!!! :p

Went to TRU and grabbed the Riding Mower poly. Yay! No series 11 figs. Boo!

But the guy was unwrapping a series 10 box. So I went through to search for Mr. Gold. No luck, but I do have two more Gorgons now.

3QkAvSwl.jpg

I don't know what else fits into a Minifigs arm legally, but the ripcord of the speedors does!!!

Time for you to stock up on speedors!!! :p

Most excellent! Just need it in blue and we have the makings of Mr. Fantastic of the Fantastic Four.

LEGO, why you torture me so? So many sets you can make with DC and Marvel IP.

Walmart is quickly becoming a go to place for me to get LEGO.

Vermin Vaporizer is 27% off. With FREE ship to store option, that's a good deal.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/LEGO-Space-Vermin-Vaporizer-Play-Set/22018284

Also, if you browse around, you'll find a a bunch of the smaller/medium sets ~10-30% off MSRP.

LEGO Super Heroes Spider-Man: Spider-Cycle Chase Play Set $16.99
LEGO Super Heroes Superman: Black Escape Play Set $17.09
LEGO Marvel Super Heroes Loki's Cosmic Cube Escape Play Set $18.04
LEGO Star Wars Desert Skiff Play Set $19.77 (21%)

and a bunch more

EDIT: These are Online prices from their website. I believe brick and mortar stores may vary.

ghostmind

Speaking of BrickOwl, they are reporting a rumor of a MINI Cooper set next year, hopefully in the style of the VW Beetle and T1 Camper Van.

Brickset has a decent post on the BrickQueen drama.

Even if you don't care about the drama, it has some nice info on Cuusoo's policies which is useful if you ever plan to submit a project there.

http://www.brickset.com/news/article/?ID=7437

Why did I read the comments? Why do I keep going back to read more? Sometimes ignorance is bliss with this stuff. It makes me thankful that this small community here is pretty tame and nice about everything.

wetwired

Digging through my dropbox I found my old LDD Pet Shop, this was made years ago, around the time the green grocer just came out so well before the actual pet store set. It shows my early fascination with alleyways, it's meant to butt up against the wall of other modulars, I still hope lego do this some day in a modular.

It was also back when I had bugger all pieces hence it all being done in LDD. I could never come up with a decent roof though so it's left unfinished for eternity.

petstore1.jpg

petstore2.jpg

petstore3.jpg

petstore4.jpg

Looking back it's way too noisy, too much detail that makes it just look like a mess of blocks. I still do like the shape of the building as a slight L and the alleyway though.

Just built it. Really cool and cute set for the price. The spinning blades are such a nice touch. Tempted to get more now.

I picked up 2 for my future city. It's one of the better polybags this year.

One of the better sets overall I think. So simple, yet so effective.

Although, I have to question the safety of this thing with exposed blades. It is like waiting for severed limbs to happen. It could double as a street sweeper though. :)

On a different note, how the hell did that one site get a hold of instructions for a 2014 set already? Getting images of products is one thing. Full instructions seems extreme. I am not complaining though. I will be building a monkey soon.

wetwired

Finally wrangled a way to make images stop replicating themselves over and over on IMGUR. So, the work in progress Halloween Diorama:

And ignore all the crap on the table. I never cleaned off the party supplies from Saturday.

The foundation for the Haunted House platform.

The foundation and rock walls all built up, but without the top base on.

The full foundation set. The red tiles are just there for the HH to rest on. The wing/angle pieces are to keep the HH in place.

Every angle of the HH on the platform. I did not know exactly how well the HH would line up, so I left where the stairs would go blank. Once I build those up, the colored bricks will not be seen. I also underestimated the front angle jutting out, so the rock formation had to get extended with a wing piece to support it.

Will probably finish this plate tomorrow with some decrepit stairs and whatnot. And then plotting about how to make a Ghost Train fly...

After much experimenting with my haunted house I'm going to have to steal your idea of raising it up on a rocky base. I tried a few things but it just looks ridiculous butted right up against modular style buildings so instead I'm going to raise it up slightly and have 32 studs space on either side with a larger overgrown yard, then I can do a bit old tree and some graveyards, an old fence or something.

I'll probably end up putting the pet shop on the other side of the road at one end or the other to help fill it out a bit as I don't have the road pieces to make it go any longer width ways.

After much experimenting with my haunted house I'm going to have to steal your idea of raising it up on a rocky base. I tried a few things but it just looks ridiculous butted right up against modular style buildings so instead I'm going to raise it up slightly and have 32 studs space on either side with a larger overgrown yard, then I can do a bit old tree and some graveyards, an old fence or something.

I'll probably end up putting the pet shop on the other side of the road at one end or the other to help fill it out a bit as I don't have the road pieces to make it go any longer width ways.
Steal away. :) I like the rocky base. I think it adds a lil more character and makes it a tad spookier. I can try to find pics from the base I made last year too if you want.

I still need to work on getting Vampyre Castle and Ghost Train into my scene.

wetwired

Steal away. :) I like the rocky base. I think it adds a lil more character and makes it a tad spookier. I can try to find pics from the base I made last year too if you want.

I still need to work on getting Vampyre Castle and Ghost Train into my scene.

I might attempt a more gradual slope back and make the actual base a little shorter, as if the whole thing is on a hill. Then try like a rickety fence running along the rise, help hide the lack of stuff beyond it.

neonglow

On a different note, how the hell did that one site get a hold of instructions for a 2014 set already? Getting images of products is one thing. Full instructions seems extreme. I am not complaining though. I will be building a monkey soon.

The instructions of the 3 Creator sets were uploaded into LEGO's instructions database, Sites like Brickset have bots that look for changes in the database and report them. After news of the new sets leaked, LEGO removed them from their database but it was too late.

This is how we know of upcoming polybag sets since they're usually in the instructions database long before showing up on store shelves.

rallaren

Flatbed Truck is finished in all its glory. I like the only two power function features more than I thought I would. There's alot of positive feedback on it and when I found it for a good price I bit.

Top Bottom