• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO GAF |OT2|: Building Dreams. Demolishing Wallets

Jimbro72

Flatbed Truck is finished in all its glory. I like the only two power function features more than I thought I would. There's alot of positive feedback on it and when I found it for a good price I bit.

I really need to try to find one at a decent price soon before the value keeps going up. I don't want a lot from the technic line but this is one of the sets that I would like to get at some point.

I'll probably end up putting the pet shop on the other side of the road at one end or the other to help fill it out a bit as I don't have the road pieces to make it go any longer width ways.

Steal away. :) I like the rocky base. I think it adds a lil more character and makes it a tad spookier. I can try to find pics from the base I made last year too if you want.

All this talk about Haunted House and incorporating into a modular street...I may crack on this one. Wasn't all that interested until recently.

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
All this talk about Haunted House and incorporating into a modular street...I may crack on this one. Wasn't all that interested until recently.

DO IT! I have on setting on my shelf waiting for October. Actually I have the whole Monster Fighters wave setting in my backlog just waiting. But yea BUY IT. BUY IT NOW!

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
Digging through my dropbox I found my old LDD Pet Shop, this was made years ago, around the time the green grocer just came out so well before the actual pet store set. It shows my early fascination with alleyways, it's meant to butt up against the wall of other modulars, I still hope lego do this some day in a modular.

It was also back when I had bugger all pieces hence it all being done in LDD. I could never come up with a decent roof though so it's left unfinished for eternity.

petstore1.jpg

petstore2.jpg

petstore3.jpg

petstore4.jpg

Looking back it's way too noisy, too much detail that makes it just look like a mess of blocks. I still do like the shape of the building as a slight L and the alleyway though.

I really like this build. How long did it take you to build it in the designer? I have tried to use it in the past and could never get it to work correctly. Can't even get pieces to place correctly.

I might attempt a more gradual slope back and make the actual base a little shorter, as if the whole thing is on a hill. Then try like a rickety fence running along the rise, help hide the lack of stuff beyond it.

I am still debating about putting a broken railing or two on the steps leading up the front or back steps. I am still on the fence (ha!) about adding a perimeter fence around the entire diorama once it is done, or just a crumbling wall and front gate across the front.

Right now the graveyard is right next to the Haunted House. The only pic I have so far is blocked by a giant black beast.

That should give some vague idea of where that is going. Beyond the graveyard, I have two more baseplates set up and am plotting placement of Vampyre Castle and Ghost Train. The plan right now which I am blocking out, is to have VC separated and integrated into parts of the wall. That way it makes it look like the wall surrounding the entire diorama is actually just part of the castle. And then I planned on having elevated train tracks running behind one castle tower and then curve around through the middle of the diorama before the tracks break apart and the train looks like it is flying off.

The flying off part is what is making the road block right now. And still debating about getting the werewolf tree in there, and possibly a small lagoon for the Swamp Creature to crawl out of.

Vyer

I just watched a random Brick Queen review video. I could do better than that with my low rent production values. I need a new hobby. Perhaps some LEGO reviews on YouTube. If I could muster up the gumption to actually do it.

I say I am going to do a lot of things and never do them...

I say a GAF member LEGO podcast, of course.

ruxtpin

Banned
I just watched a random Brick Queen review video. I could do better than that with my low rent production values. I need a new hobby. Perhaps some LEGO reviews on YouTube. If I could muster up the gumption to actually do it.

I say I am going to do a lot of things and never do them...

I watched part of the video she posted, responding to her account being banned from Cuusoo. Nevermind the fact that I couldn't make it through the entire video. But I got mildly annoyed that she held up her 'Velociraptor Pit/Cage' build and said something like, "Might as well not even continue." ... Really? Really.

Dragoshi1

Does anyone have experience with "The Plastic Brick" website?

Just asking, it seems they can give out quotes on sets you'd like to sell, then they cover the shipping and such for you to send the sets to them.

I want to know just in case it's actually a scam of some kind or something. Before I try the quote thing.

ghostmind

Just wondering, what are the best Youtube lego channels to check out?

I`ve been promoting JANGBRICKS on here as often as I can - its generally a more mature look at the sets, which was sorely missing.

SolidBrixStudios (aka Legoboy12345678) is my go-to for Star Wars (especially prequel & CW) reviews.

wetwired

I really like this build. How long did it take you to build it in the designer? I have tried to use it in the past and could never get it to work correctly. Can't even get pieces to place correctly.

Took a few nights at least, can't remember exactly though as I did it so long ago, I'm kinda used to LDD now though and it's not too dissimilar to Maya so it was easy for me to pick up. Spend some time with it and you'll get the hang of it.

I am still debating about putting a broken railing or two on the steps leading up the front or back steps. I am still on the fence (ha!) about adding a perimeter fence around the entire diorama once it is done, or just a crumbling wall and front gate across the front.

Right now the graveyard is right next to the Haunted House. The only pic I have so far is blocked by a giant black beast.

That should give some vague idea of where that is going. Beyond the graveyard, I have two more baseplates set up and am plotting placement of Vampyre Castle and Ghost Train. The plan right now which I am blocking out, is to have VC separated and integrated into parts of the wall. That way it makes it look like the wall surrounding the entire diorama is actually just part of the castle. And then I planned on having elevated train tracks running behind one castle tower and then curve around through the middle of the diorama before the tracks break apart and the train looks like it is flying off.

The flying off part is what is making the road block right now. And still debating about getting the werewolf tree in there, and possibly a small lagoon for the Swamp Creature to crawl out of.

I started setting mine up last night, it's on a corner of a street 64 wide and 32 deep with a stone fence around the street sides (front and right hand side) Still trying to figure out how to fit the house in effectively though as I wanted more space between the road and front of the building but there isn't a lot of room there with only 32 deep.

I think I'm gonna go with a big tree on one side and one or 2 graves under it. Not sure what to put on the other side, maybe I'll steal your pond idea too :p, I don't have a swamp creature though so it'd just be a pond.

Biggest issue I think I'm going to find is figuring out how to make it portable when it's 64 wide and the foliage stuff pops off really easily. Not as easy to make it modular compared to a building, mine won't be on an angle though as I'm too lazy and it'll mainly be viewed from the front anyway.

ghostmind

2014 1H Technic

42020 Twin-Rotor Helicopter
42021 Snowmobile
42022 Hot Rod
42023 Construction Crew
42024 Container Truck
42026 Black Champion Racer
42027 Desert Racer

Took a few nights at least, can't remember exactly though as I did it so long ago, I'm kinda used to LDD now though and it's not too dissimilar to Maya so it was easy for me to pick up. Spend some time with it and you'll get the hang of it.

I started setting mine up last night, it's on a corner of a street 64 wide and 32 deep with a stone fence around the street sides (front and right hand side) Still trying to figure out how to fit the house in effectively though as I wanted more space between the road and front of the building but there isn't a lot of room there with only 32 deep.

I think I'm gonna go with a big tree on one side and one or 2 graves under it. Not sure what to put on the other side, maybe I'll steal your pond idea too :p, I don't have a swamp creature though so it'd just be a pond.

Biggest issue I think I'm going to find is figuring out how to make it portable when it's 64 wide and the foliage stuff pops off really easily. Not as easy to make it modular compared to a building, mine won't be on an angle though as I'm too lazy and it'll mainly be viewed from the front anyway.
Finally dug up the post I made last year with the rock stand for Haunted House.

Reposting it here:

IMAGE BOMB COMING!

I finished up the Haunted House additions tonight. Forgive the crappy pics, for I am tired and will get better ones when I am more focused. I am just excited to show this off.

The five plates that make up the grounds. The largest is of course where the official Haunted House set will rest. Ignore all the random tiles on top. I knew they would be hidden, so I used tiles I knew I would almost never use in another MOC.

Left side of the house. The perimeter fence even has a few spears to have some impaled bodies on. I will do that once I dig out all my figures again. Can you see the secret of this piece?

Front left fence area. I took off some of the bottom of the Werewolf tree and added a few more vines to it. A nice creepy tree for the Haunted House.

Front right fence area. I took the two tombs from the Zombies set and cut out the gear between them.

Even though the gear is no longer there, I kept the bracing bar connecting them. Now you just push back on the top tombstone and...

ZOMBIE SURPRISE! The official Zombies set does this if you dont have it, but you turn the stone on the main set to open the graves. Cutting it down let me fit it on the one narrow end of a half plate.

Right side steps. This is to connect to the side door of the house.

Put them all together, slap the Haunted House on top of the hill, and voila! But what of the secret of the pool next to the house?

A glowing portal to the depths of hell!

A ghost, with all lights in the apartment off. The glow does show up rather well.

A WILD SHELOB APPEARS!

Cue dramatic lighting for Shelob and the werewolf!

The display is easily broken apart and held together with technic pegs when needed. The Haunted House itself rests on flat tiles so I can slide it on and off at will if I ever want it by itself or to open it up.

Now for the next few weeks to add zombies and dead monster fighters to the display!

Ponn

Banned
Unf...getting some good ideas for my Halloween diorama. I should finish my HH soon so I can start actually building a diorama. Wish I had one or two of those big ass base plates. I know I can buy them i'm just concentrating on getting the sets I want first.

Speaking of which, Batman Two Face Chase/Lego Batman Encyclopedia bundle ordered from Walmart. Finally pulled the trigger on it, now don't have to worry about it retiring on me. Had to pay tax but with tax it came to $47, Amazon has had it for $46 but for a buck more I get the Encyclopedia and that Electra Suit Batman fig so why not.

Tuvoc

Damn, Phonbon, that Haunted House setup is brickin' Amazing!

The red, glowing part made me think of "Dr. Satan's lair" in House of 1000 Corpses.

that'll be one awesome display piece for Halloween time ;)

Damn, Phonbon, that Haunted House setup is brickin' Amazing!

The red, glowing part made me think of "Dr. Satan's lair" in House of 1000 Corpses.

that'll be one awesome display piece for Halloween time ;)

That was last year's setup. This year's is already larger in scale. Look back a few pages for the rock stand for the Haunted House and some work in progress graveyard pics.

Still not sure about a light brick this year, but I might sneak one in.

I just watched Ghostbusters again, and man, that Ecto-1 needs to happen, like, yesterday. Also, I hope Lego will produce it in much, much higher quantities than the DeLorean because it's going to sell like crazy.

I can't really think of movie cars that are more iconic. There's Herbie I guess, but that's just a beetle. There's KITT, but meh.

So, of the next few Cuusoo sets, which ones do you think will actually get anywhere?

* Space Troopers is kind of done now, with Galaxy Squad, I think.

* Purdue Pete... eh, what? It might be iconic to some but I really don't see this as a worldwide release. Maybe an exclusive somewhere, but it's too big for that too.

* Land Rover Defender could very well be a Technic exclusive, I guess.

* Zelda depends entirely on Nintendo, but I'm not sure if they'll commit to just a single set, or if they're interested (or Lego are) in a Simpsons/TMNT style series.

* Android is meh. Isn't that thing largely phased out already? I don't see it anywhere and I even have an Android phone.

* Exo Suit is cool but very specific, I don't see it having general appeal.

To me, even if they reached 10000 supporters, there's very little general appeal in most of these sets. I think the ones most likely to actually sell are Portal (if it gets a second chance) or Zelda, with the Rover possibly up there (judging by how the 4x4 exclusive sold out). I wish they could rush Ecto-1 ahead as it has got to have much greater appeal than any of those, as long as the license holders play along.

New Pirates pack has been discovered at LEGO stores - it contains a rare printed map element.

q4kF1tw.jpg

Haha, funny. I had a spare of that eyebrow face that I used for one of my Barracuda pirates. Maybe I should get a pack to update the crew. The old figures really make the ship look dated.

neonglow

I would really, really like that. For now though I am just hoping for a Pirates set in the LEGO Movie theme.

I missed out on the Imperial Flagship so I'm hoping they put out more big pirate ships. It just went out of print when I returned back to LEGO and I was thinking, "Who would spend $200+ on a LEGO set?".

10210-1.jpg

ghostmind

Imperial Flagship was one of the first large sets I bought upon my return to LEGO. I did however miss out on the Grand Carousel - I wish I knew to pick it up back then, as the price has gone insane since.

Calm Killer

I hope they do come out with a pirate set so I can actually skip a series next year. They make nice sets, but its not in my wheelhouse, so I can avoid it completely. That would help me catch up with some other sets from this year and last year I still want.

Fxp

Bought The Lone Ranger Silver Mine Shootout (79110) for $49.12 from Amazon Warehouse. All I need now is cheaper Stagecoach Escape.

I missed out on the Imperial Flagship so I'm hoping they put out more big pirate ships. It just went out of print when I returned back to LEGO and I was thinking, "Who would spend $200+ on a LEGO set?".

10210-1.jpg

I'm going between really, really wanting it, to thinking "meh, why bother?". It's a beautiful ship but it's also somewhat dated already. The aftermarket price doesn't help. $400 spent on this now is money I could spend on two brand new equivalent sets once Lego gets around to them.

I'd love to see an even more modern take on a classic ship, a floating Modular so to speak. But then again I don't see them making an even bigger ship out of the blue.

I'm also thinking that it would be cool to try to update the Barracuda myself, but I would end up with pretty much an entirely new ship at a huge cost.

New Pirates pack has been discovered at LEGO stores - it contains a rare printed map element.

q4kF1tw.jpg

I likey. I hope they continue to have these themed packs. I think this is what they've put out, but the pirate one is the first not to have all CMFs. The packaging makes it seem like it the same "series".

Beach
Halloween
Band
Pirate

wetwired

10210-1.jpg

I wish I picked this up when I saw it on sale for like AUD$110.

bremon

There are so many sets from the past few years that make me wish I had come back to Lego sooner, and Imperial Flagship is definitely one of them. My friends and I were crazy into Lego as kids from 89-97ish so I have fond memories of the Pirates/Imperials from back then. I'd love to see more from that type of design come out in the near future.

We were also crazy for Dragon Knights, Royal Knights and Black Knights back then. I think as kids we all loved the large raised baseplates as well, and those don't seem to be well-liked by older fans but I'd like to see some of those designs make a comeback (though I admit, looking at some of those sets on Brickipedia makes things like Fire-Breathing Fortress look pretty uninspired. I loved Royal Knights Castle as a kid though).

What's the general consensus on the new Castle range? I've been hoping for a new Castle theme but I'm undecided on the new King's Castle. I've stuck to Monster Hunters and Modulars so far but I need to expand into other directions if I want to keep building on a regular basis lol.

ghostmind

There are so many sets from the past few years that make me wish I had come back to Lego sooner, and Imperial Flagship is definitely one of them. My friends and I were crazy into Lego as kids from 89-97ish so I have fond memories of the Pirates/Imperials from back then. I'd love to see more from that type of design come out in the near future.

We were also crazy for Dragon Knights, Royal Knights and Black Knights back then. I think as kids we all loved the large raised baseplates as well, and those don't seem to be well-liked by older fans but I'd like to see some of those designs make a comeback (though I admit, looking at some of those sets on Brickipedia makes things like Fire-Breathing Fortress look pretty uninspired. I loved Royal Knights Castle as a kid though).

What's the general consensus on the new Castle range? I've been hoping for a new Castle theme but I'm undecided on the new King's Castle. I've stuck to Monster Hunters and Modulars so far but I need to expand into other directions if I want to keep building on a regular basis lol.

The 2013 Castle sets are a bit... basic. I only picked up the Dragon Mountain set myself, but the majority of opinions I have read agreed that the Kingdoms theme was superior. I would recommend picking up the Kingdoms Joust set if you are interested, as it is still in production, but for not much longer I think.

ghostmind

Are the series 11 in the wild in the US now?

Yes, there are various reports of sightings at Targets and Walmart. LEGO stores will have them in a week, but I am going to hit up a couple of the aforementioned stores tomorrow and see if I can locate any. I am not buying a case, like I did with Series 10, this time.

Calm Killer

Yes, there are various reports of sightings at Targets and Walmart. LEGO stores will have them in a week, but I am going to hit up a couple of the aforementioned stores tomorrow and see if I can locate any. I am not buying a case, like I did with Series 10, this time.

Cool, I will have to check out the target when I go to the WVU game this upcoming weekend.

Top Bottom