• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO GAF |OT2|: Building Dreams. Demolishing Wallets

rallaren

I really need to try to find one at a decent price soon before the value keeps going up. I don't want a lot from the technic line but this is one of the sets that I would like to get at some point.
Here it is with Bucket Truck:
iFIpFvU.jpg
It was good to build it too. Made me want to get more of Technic sets again.

Ponn

Banned
I want alot more of the wave 11 set of figs then the last couple waves. Hope i can find some. Only found the Mr. Gold wave once and that was a ghost town kmart i just happened to decide to go into one day.

What are the chances of a great big sailing ship being done again (not Pirates of Caribbean related).

I wish I had gotten the last one they did a few years ago, but when you miss a big set like that, you're screwed unless you want to get ripped off paying for it O.O.P.

Mr Mike

1 million Canadian dollars
Picked up that Pirates minifig set earlier (at the Liverpool, UK store). They guys at the desk said they were new in - not even on S@H yet.

Really has given me a hankering for a new LEGO ship. I've got the Black Barracuda, but it's all packed away and with the original figs, etc. I am very, very tempted to Bricklink the Imperial Flagship. I've already got the hull spares, and could probably fudge the insides, and I'm not too fussed about the minifigs (especially if my new pirate crew are going to steal this new boat...)

Picked up that Pirates minifig set earlier (at the Liverpool, UK store). They guys at the desk said they were new in - not even on S@H yet.

Really has given me a hankering for a new LEGO ship. I've got the Black Barracuda, but it's all packed away and with the original figs, etc. I am very, very tempted to Bricklink the Imperial Flagship. I've already got the hull spares, and could probably fudge the insides, and I'm not too fussed about the minifigs (especially if my new pirate crew are going to steal this new boat...)

The new LOTR Pirate Ship Ambush is a pretty solid set if you have a hankering for a ship. That or Dolphin Cruiser if you want something very different.

I want alot more of the wave 11 set of figs then the last couple waves. Hope i can find some. Only found the Mr. Gold wave once and that was a ghost town kmart i just happened to decide to go into one day.

Not sure what country you are in, but KMart makes me think the U.S. Many of the series 10 (Mr. Gold wave) figs are priced close to MSRP or lower on BrickLink (not the ones that only had 2 per box though). I bought a few of the 6 per box ones (mechanic and skydiver) for $2 each. Many bought boxes or a lot trying to get Mr. Gold so there was a over supply I think.

sharbhund

Is the gold bar in the set actually chrome-plated? Lego has had sets in the past with shiny gold bars on the packaging, but the parts inside aren't.

Ponn

Banned
Not sure what country you are in, but KMart makes me think the U.S. Many of the series 10 (Mr. Gold wave) figs are priced close to MSRP or lower on BrickLink (not the ones that only had 2 per box though). I bought a few of the 6 per box ones (mechanic and skydiver) for $2 each. Many bought boxes or a lot trying to get Mr. Gold so there was a over supply I think.

Thts cool thanks. I pretty much got the ones i wanted. Set 11 though will be rough, i want about half of them. Definitely looking for Yeti, elf and Gingerbread Man for christmas layout.

bremon

The 2013 Castle sets are a bit... basic. I only picked up the Dragon Mountain set myself, but the majority of opinions I have read agreed that the Kingdoms theme was superior. I would recommend picking up the Kingdoms Joust set if you are interested, as it is still in production, but for not much longer I think.
Yeah, that's what I thought. I may have to look into that Joust set, I've seen it a few times at a local collector's store. Thanks for the tip.

Ryuuroden

Couple bits of information and joy to share today.

The joy is, I went to The Lego Store today and finally purchased The "Best" Star. Been waffling on buying that one for years. Finally decided to go in on it so I don't miss out like when I waffled on Grand Carousel and UCS Millennium Falcon. Man, that box is really heavy. They gave it to me in the original shipping/factory packing box as well so it was super protected :)

I also got a cup full of 1x2 purple tiles from the brick wall, hell yeah for more offbeat colors.

The information I received was, I asked the manager (who knows me really well from all my shopping) if they had the haunted house as you guys really made me want to get it. He told me they wouldn't be getting new shipments into the store anymore as it is going OOP at the end of the year. I'm sure you guys already knew this, it's just more confirmation. So, looks like I'll be ordering that off amazon.

The joy is, I went to The Lego Store today and finally purchased The "Best" Star. Been waffling on buying that one for years. Finally decided to go in on it so I don't miss out like when I waffled on Grand Carousel and UCS Millennium Falcon. Man, that box is really heavy. They gave it to me in the original shipping/factory packing box as well so it was super protected :)

I also got a cup full of 1x2 purple tiles from the brick wall, hell yeah for more offbeat colors.

The information I received was, I asked the manager (who knows me really well from all my shopping) if they had the haunted house as you guys really made me want to get it. He told me they wouldn't be getting new shipments into the store anymore as it is going OOP at the end of the year. I'm sure you guys already knew this, it's just more confirmation. So, looks like I'll be ordering that off amazon.

Congrats on the Best Star. And hurry to get Haunted House.

ghostmind

dumb question but it's been bugging me:

what is the thing with the rods point up on the inside right of Weathertop suppose to be (on the interior right of the image)?

still makes no sense to me

Aren't those flick-fires?

You know, from the part of the movie when Weathertop started shooting out missiles from its rocky base?

judhudson

Just finished building Pet Shop. To my surprise, the set was missing a piece - the 1x4x6 window glass panel for the Pets Store. Luckily, got on the Lego site and requested it. I did find it odd that the part no. in the book is completely different than the one on the site.

ericb!

Neo Member

I've been watching the Vampyre Castle (9468) on shop.lego.com...down to 42 available. No shortage on the UK site, so maybe I'm reading into it too much, as it may just be temporarily unavailable once the current stock is sold. Still, if you're looking to get one, may want to act sooner rather than later.

If you dig around you can still find Vampyre Castle pretty easily. TRU and BN seem to always have it in stock. At least the ones near me.
It really is one of the best sets out there. I am thankful for everyone here singing its praises and convincing me to get it.

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
FYI

The LEGO Group ‏@LEGO_Group 2h

RT @belkin: We're hosting a #twitterchat with LEGO Master Builder Chris Steininger Tuesday @ 4 PM PST. Have any ?s for him? #LEGOxBelkin

Well then... bills paid, including rent and student loan, and I still have enough for both Ewok Village and putting aside money for a PS4...

The thing is, I'm interested in Ewok Village mostly as a part pack. Would it be a good idea to sell off individual figures, or save everything in case I would want to reassemble and sell the entire set one day?

ghostmind

Well then... bills paid, including rent and student loan, and I still have enough for both Ewok Village and putting aside money for a PS4...

The thing is, I'm interested in Ewok Village mostly as a part pack. Would it be a good idea to sell off individual figures, or save everything in case I would want to reassemble and sell the entire set one day?

I would keep the minifigs - there are only a couple that are unique minifigs (Luke & Leia) that would fetch a higher price, but I think being able to keep the set whole (keep the box!) would generate a greater value once this goes OOP.

Sell LEGO sets? I don't understand. You don't keep them forever? :)

Complete sets carry more value; however, taking a quick look at BrickLink some of those minifigs could carry an initially high value. For example the new scout trooper with the black legs may carry a high value now, but if there are more sets later with the new print it's long term value may decrease significantly.

Not sure why, but on BrickLink some people are selling Han Solo from Ewok Village for $20+. I thought that was identical to the recent A-Wing Han Solo.

The new Minecraft sets are coming out pretty soon, right?
I think the website said they are coming out September 1st or 2nd.

Any chance they'll show up in stores early like the Back to the Future set?

RichardAM

Kwanzaagator
Superior Iron Man fig confirmed- such a shame they didnt go with the head print and went for the silly oversized helmet instead.

Definitely hoping we get more X-Men/Justice League figs in normal sets though.

Crossing my fingers for a 10% off coupon in the next catalog. If so, the Defender is mine.

I ended up using the 15% off coupon from Toys R Us since they extended the on-line one and then use in store pick up to get around the shipping cost (and tax, since there's a TRU near my work in Oregon).

5IcVuIAl.jpg

I really enjoy the build and the final model looks really good. I did play SWTOR for several months but mostly with the Dark Side so I don't have a clue how accurate is the LEGO version of Jedi Defender-Class Cruiser. From the various pictures I found on-line, the ship seems like a good representation of the original design.

xQgA6Nil.jpg

The ship is fairly large and it is one of the few LEGO Star Wars set that I build and didn't feel like I got short changed. (For some reason, TRU did not apply their "tax" to this set, may be because it's a store exclusive and they need to charge what LEGO store is charging, but I am just guessing). I thought the back of the ship feel very sparse from the promo pictures but the actual ship it looks pretty good especially the jet engines section.

rN148wTl.jpg

I am still not a fan of giant LEGO tires as nozzle, but I love what they did with this particular ship with the blast shield flaps on the nozzles.

pme6RJml.jpg

There are several removable parts and compartments on Jedi Defender cruiser. I really like the external warp engine section and too bad that it is somewhat obscure. The designer also added really nice details throughout the ship and I am grateful for the limited use of stickers.

jUxKp9rl.jpg

Rear cargo bay door, inside there is another cargo container that house weird three layer single stud squares. I think they are suppose to be lightsaber crystals. There also another one of the cargo block in the front of the ship that you can pull out.

Fj1s6swl.jpg

The cockpit section of the ship is really clever, I love the use of clear lightsaber rods to accent the nose. There are flick missiles but they are cleverly hidden as part of the turrets. The turrets are mount on gear parts and are adjustable.

efhfu7al.jpg

The ship also have one area that often get omitted by LEGO designer - the landing gears. The gears are adjustable but they don't seem to fold in completely in the up position (or may be I messed up the build, that section was a bit confusing and it was really late when I was building it).

oWdYlWpl.jpg

Here is good close up section of the escape pod ( I am pretty sure this section is a docking port in the game). However, am still not sure what that movable Technic parts in front of the warp engine suppose to be.

DFOdfB3l.jpg

The cruiser comes with good selections of mini-figs including Jedi consular (casting class in the game), Jedi Knight (warrior class), Sith Warrior (dark side counterpart to Jedi Knight) and Sith trooper (the sith trooper was not a playable class in TOR). I like that they chose to make the two Jedi the alien species (Zabrak for Knight and Mirialan for Consular).

RhnAQJ4l.jpg

I really enjoy the build and the final product looks great. The ship is also substantial in size (bigger than the similar price point Sith Fury) and come with many play features. It is one of the few Star Wars LEGO license that really worth the asking price even without the discount. Oh and did I mention that this ship has landing gears! (It however does not have lightsaber storage area but the ship has so many compartments that you can use).

I wasn't even thinking about getting that ship but your indepth review and pretty pictures...plus the fact that the darn thing is a lovely color...I may have to consider it down the line. Thanks for the review!

Top Bottom