• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO GAF |OT2|: Building Dreams. Demolishing Wallets

Jimbro72

Very nice review. I, too, picked it up at TRU using that 15% off coupon but have yet to find time to build it. Looks like I'm in store for a good one when I do.

Found this in the Boston airport.

Thing is fug.

X1dA8cb.jpg

I ended up using the 15% off coupon from Toys R Us since they extended the on-line one and then use in store pick up to get around the shipping cost (and tax, since there's a TRU near my work in Oregon).

5IcVuIAl.jpg

I really enjoy the build and the final model looks really good. I did play SWTOR for several months but mostly with the Dark Side so I don't have a clue how accurate is the LEGO version of Jedi Defender-Class Cruiser. From the various pictures I found on-line, the ship seems like a good representation of the original design.

I really wanted only the minifigs, but this sells it to me if I can get it for at least 20% off.

Thing is fug.

Best Lock is a UK brick "clone" company I believe. I've fallen off the deep end and and dabble in buying small "clone" brick sets from different manufacturers. You can definitely tell the quality difference. I think Kre-o is the closest to LEGO in quality from my limited exposure.

I really enjoy the build and the final product looks great. The ship is also substantial in size (bigger than the similar price point Sith Fury) and come with many play features. It is one of the few Star Wars LEGO license that really worth the asking price even without the discount. Oh and did I mention that this ship has landing gears! (It however does not have lightsaber storage area but the ship has so many compartments that you can use).

Great review.

I was getting it anyway, but this post just makes me want it quicker!

No luck down under with discounts or anything, so I'll be grabbing it at full price no doubt.

mrkgoo

Thing is fug.

It's not worth bothering to post. There are dozens of knock-off brands of building block toys. There have been for decades. Not sure if you had torro or tente - these were probably european brands back in the 80s - heck, they may not even have been knock-offs, but they are nearly universally either bad quality or bad designs or both.

I was in Taiwan not long ago, and Lego is plenty popular at the moment, but I think only the wealthy can afford them, as they are even lower income than here, and Lego costs MORE than NZ, which is truly hard to believe. There were also many 'knock off' brands, obviously trying to be an alternative to lego.

I still have quite a few of the Tyco blocks from the 80s. In fact, many are integrated in my LEGO collection and blend in exceptionally well. Mainly just 2x2 and 2x4 blocks.

kms_md

great review antiquegamer

while the conular class can be a casting class (jedi sage) the figure shown is actually a jedi shadow (a dps or tank class) due to the double bladed light saber. the next character is a jedi guardian (single lightsaber - can be tank or dps). the sith is a sith marauder (a pure dps advanced class of the sith warrior) /nerd rant

PS i have played way, way too much SWTOR.

It's not worth bothering to post. There are dozens of knock-off brands of building block toys. There have been for decades. Not sure if you had torro or tente - these were probably european brands back in the 80s - heck, they may not even have been knock-offs, but they are nearly universally either bad quality or bad designs or both.

I've never seen this particular brand before-but then again in Canada we generally have Megablocks, Kree-O and that's it for clones.

I've never seen this particular brand before-but then again in Canada we generally have Megablocks, Kree-O and that's it for clones.

Pretty much the same in the states plus K'Nex which is a hybrid of sorts. There is Character Building which only the minifig blind packs show up at TRU. I'd like the Character Building Scooby Doo Mystery Machine set to buy around here. Although a LEGO MOC would probably be better.

thumbnailgenerator.ashx

Not LEGO minifigs (are compatible), but I do want Scooby Doo.
thumbnailgenerator.ashx

Kre-O is actually manufactured by another clone company in South Korea called Oxford.

I stand corrected. There is also Lite-Brix in the States which is new. I wonder what inspired this acid trip set.

A more complete lists of current and some past clones:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lego_clone

great review antiquegamer

while the conular class can be a casting class (jedi sage) the figure shown is actually a jedi shadow (a dps or tank class) due to the double bladed light saber. the next character is a jedi guardian (single lightsaber - can be tank or dps). the sith is a sith marauder (a pure dps advanced class of the sith warrior) /nerd rant

PS i have played way, way too much SWTOR.

Yeah, it has been awhile since I play SWTOR. I actually log in last week but I was so lost and everyone I knew pretty much left the game. I was playing Imperial Agent and that was the only class I finish. I forgot that consular class have the subclass Jedi Shadow (the class was actually my first pick actually but I got bore real quick with Jedi and went to the dark side). I was trying to remember the Sith Marauder name, if I recall they are kinda like rogue class. They are a pain in the butt to heal. (I was playing healer Imperial Agent).

Anyway, thank you to all of you for the nice comments. I love LEGO Gafs, people here are always very nice and kind. I really miss doing toys review and taking photo (I used to run a website dedicated to Japanese action-figures from the 70's but I had not update the site in years).

ndkJ7K6l.jpg

Speaking of update, here are some pictures of the Duel on Geonosis set. I forgot to post them well because the set is largely forgettable. I got it for really cheap ($12.00 after rebates and discount) and it would take big discount for me to pick up this set. I think it is probably the weakest set of all the fall 2013 line up.

The playset is very small and consist of two partial walls. One section is the hangar bay (I am assume it was where Anakin and Obi-wan got drop off), and the other is small section that represent the hangar inside the mountain where Dooku face off with Anakin and Obi-wan and later Yoda.

77qenbbl.jpg

The set is really unimpressive and the best part of the build was the hangar section. Since I am fairly new to the modern LEGO set, I was very impress with how the arch get put together. The hanging light is pretty neat and it does evoke the memory of the scene though it has been a long time since I saw Attack of the Clones.

IPIFefWl.jpg

The set has several play features including a stick so you can used it to marionette Yoda mini-figures and re-enact his frenzy bouncing during that fight scene. I also like the collapsible machinery section.

uzLNW0ql.jpg

A hidden compartment where Dooku stored his Sith lightning. I think the Speeder bike is way too large for both the figure and the playset.

Xrd3n4ql.jpg

In the end most people will probably get the set mainly for the cool looking Count Dooku (he is definitely the best villain in the prequel for me but I am sure the kiddies probably find him the least exciting). The new update Yoda is also nice and we also get Pongo the Lesser with Death Star holo, not sure why since he wasn't in this scene. We also get Dooku pilot droid which is pretty boring looking since he just assassin droid on a LEGO brick. I was surprise however that they give Dooku a chrome plated lightsaber.

I really can't imagine many kids (or adults) will pick up this set and the set will most likely hit clearance bin. At $39.99, the set is pretty expensive, and you don't really get much as far as the playset itself and the mini-figures selection is not all that exciting.

iuuk

So, I was checking Cuusoo, and apparently both Ghostbuster sets have now achieved 10.000 supporters. Does anyone have any idea if this will hurt or help the chances of it being produced? (it's likely that a lot of people want this set, but at the same time that 1% profit going to the cuusoo-er might provide some difficulties)

So, I was checking Cuusoo, and apparently both Ghostbuster sets have now achieved 10.000 supporters. Does anyone have any idea if this will hurt or help the chances of it being produced? (it's likely that a lot of people want this set, but at the same time that 1% profit going to the cuusoo-er might provide some difficulties)

It will only help IMO showing that there is HUGE demand for the set. Getting to 10k is hard enough, but two projects of same IP and concept getting there is amazing. The question is if they can work out the license then how many minifgures to include. :)

As for the 1% profit, that's uncharted territory. My guess is behind the scenes they may talk to both parties before reaching a final decision. Perhaps a sharing of profits between both projects; however, Brent Waller's project reached 10k first so nobody should be upset if that one gets all 1%.

R-User!

It will only help IMO showing that there is HUGE demand for the set. Getting to 10k is hard enough, but two projects of same IP and concept getting there is amazing. The question is if they can work out the license then how many minifgures to include. :)

As for the 1% profit, that's uncharted territory. My guess is behind the scenes they may talk to both parties before reaching a final decision. Perhaps a sharing of profits between both projects; however, Brent Waller's project reached 10k first so nobody should be upset if that one gets all 1%.

Give Brent 1% and the other another 1%; it's fair and the easiest solution so everybody is happy with the result.

I've got a copy of that Technic 41999 set on hold for pickup tomorrow - going to dip my toe in the Technic water for the first time in 20+ years.

I saw a bit of buzz around it but I don't really follow Technic news/reviews. At $250 it's definitely pricey. What does LEGO GAF say? Good set? Bad set?

shadow29

Neo Member
The TRU nearby me in Utah seemed to suggest that they will be getting their shipment in tomorrow with Series 11. Hopefully when I stop by after work this ends up being true.

Speaking of update, here are some pictures of the Duel on Geonosis set. I forgot to post them well because the set is largely forgettable. I got it for really cheap ($12.00 after rebates and discount) and it would take big discount for me to pick up this set. I think it is probably the weakest set of all the fall 2013 line up.

So ridiculous! lol..

I want the minifigs, but no way I'm paying the $68 asking price down here!

wetwired

My BTTF sets arrived today, I sized them up against my Cuusoo submissions...

bttf.jpg

I actually really like the set and the build...a lot, much more than I thought I would, it'd have to be my favourite set at of at least the past 2 years.

The presentation of the set is great too, it's my first cuusoo purchase and the box and manual printing, paper quality and content is all awesome.

Though building it did bring up my pet peeve of instructions of late, building a piece over several pages and then finding out you have to do exactly the same again mirrored, so annoying when I could have done them at the same time. I understand they need to show the process for people who don't build as often but a little icon in the corner to say x2 mirrored or something would help for buildings who can figure it out.

I've got a copy of that Technic 41999 set on hold for pickup tomorrow - going to dip my toe in the Technic water for the first time in 20+ years.

I saw a bit of buzz around it but I don't really follow Technic news/reviews. At $250 it's definitely pricey. What does LEGO GAF say? Good set? Bad set?

Quoting myself. I read some reviews last night and it's apparently a terrific set.

It's also apparently ridiculously rare and going for twice MSRP now? Didn't it just come out? There are still copies in stores!

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
My BTTF sets arrived today, I sized them up against my Cuusoo submissions...

bttf.jpg

I actually really like the set and the build...a lot, much more than I thought I would, it'd have to be my favourite set at of at least the past 2 years.

The presentation of the set is great too, it's my first cuusoo purchase and the box and manual printing, paper quality and content is all awesome.

Though building it did bring up my pet peeve of instructions of late, building a piece over several pages and then finding out you have to do exactly the same again mirrored, so annoying when I could have done them at the same time. I understand they need to show the process for people who don't build as often but a little icon in the corner to say x2 mirrored or something would help for buildings who can figure it out.

The picture is so much awesome. I would say I was very disappointed with the BTTF build. I think they butchered it from the original idea that pasted. I just hope that they don't butcher your ECTO 1 like they did.

wetwired

The picture is so much awesome. I would say I was very disappointed with the BTTF build. I think they butchered it from the original idea that pasted. I just hope that they don't butcher your ECTO 1 like they did.

The only bit I think I would attempt to fix is the bonnet/hood with one of those slope pieces, I might see if I can find one on bricklink to try it. I might see if someone else has done it online first to see how it looks, because apart from that I really liked how it came together and how solidly built it was, it looks really flimsy.

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
The only bit I think I would attempt to fix is the bonnet/hood with one of those slope pieces, I might see if I can find one on bricklink to try it. I might see if someone else has done it online first to see how it looks, because apart from that I really liked how it came together and how solidly built it was, it looks really flimsy.

The windshield bars not attaching to the roof and the vents on the back with the 2x2 flat under them were my biggest issues. I can understand why they did the hood the way they did, but yes the slope looks much better. Also the fact that the cheese slope that stops the door when closed prevents both minifigs from fitting correctly is bothersome.

secret rob

Neo Member

I brick linked a slope to do the update but it requires an entire re-design as it's 1 brick wider than the official build. Haven't attempted a design yet.

Well I'll be in New York for 4 days starting tomorrow (without the wife) and this will be my first time visiting an official LEGO store (I am from Canada).
The possibilities are endless and I truly fear for my wallet, wish me luck GAF

Well I'll be in New York for 4 days starting tomorrow (without the wife) and this will be my first time visiting an official LEGO store (I am from Canada).
The possibilities are endless and I truly fear for my wallet, wish me luck GAF

Jealous! My wife and 7 year old are there now and went to the 30 Rock LEGO store for me today. Apparently that store has an exclusive set but it was sold out. Word is that got me some NYC LEGO magnets which is fine with me!

I hope you get the set!

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
I'm going to be patient and wait for double VIP pts before I order Orthanc and Mindstorms. Will probably grab Minecraft sets immediately when it pops up in September though. Still waiting for this e-tailer to have Series 11 box up for 100 euros.

Top Bottom