• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO GAF |OT2|: Building Dreams. Demolishing Wallets

D

Diggeh

Unconfirmed Member
Also just found a $70 clearenced Epic Dragon Battle at Walmart.

We had a good run, wallet.

TripOpt55

I've never really dabbled in the Collectible minifigures, but I'm rather smitten with that Yeti. How hard would it be to feel my way to a surefire Yeti purchase?

Ponn

Banned
Looks like Winter Market for me in Oct. with all those bonuses. Then see what happens for Brick Friday for the second promo set.

Finally finished Haunted House today, got a new camera but waiting on sim card for it to work so will take better pictures of it later. So all in all I think I was missing a whole smaller bag from #3 bags. I'm not really sure at this point if it was Amazon or Lego's fault because it was a Warehouse deal but the box itself looked brand new and unopened. I'm pretty disappointed about that, not sure what Lego would do for a whole missing bag and I managed to swipey swipe pieces from unused sets I have right now to put it together with some changes I think look pretty nice anyways. I sent an angry email to Amazon so will see what happens. Won't return it, not going t tear it down this soon and then put a whole new one together.

Other then that misfortune yes it was a wonderful set to put together and great to see it get bigger and bigger and more full of life. Outside is amazing and I can't wait to start adding onto the outside for a great Halloween scene.

I've never really dabbled in the Collectible minifigures, but I'm rather smitten with that Yeti. How hard would it be to feel my way to a surefire Yeti purchase?

I think he is the easiest to find since his headpiece is giant. I found two of him very quickly last week. Same with the gingerbread man due to the weird head shape. The elf is also pretty easy as he comes with a 2x2 brick...

Haven't dug for others yet

bodine1231

I am so jealous of you guys who live near a Lego store. I had an urge to pick up a set or two today (even though I have 4 still in box,whateva) and went to both Target and Walmart and came out with nothing. All of the sets that i want are only sold online or in Lego stores. The ones that are in the 'regular' stores are just sets that I would pickup once I'm caught up with the larger stuff. Every time I reached for a LOTR set or SW set I kept saying "that's money that could go towards Haunted House or Tower Bridge". Not having a Lego store around really sucks if you want to pickup something on impulse,especially on the weekends. The nearest Lego store is 3 hours away in Texas :(

Ponn

Banned
I think he is the easiest to find since his headpiece is giant. I found two of him very quickly last week. Same with the gingerbread man due to the weird head shape. The elf is also pretty easy as he comes with a 2x2 brick...

Haven't dug for others yet

Where have you all been finding them? Im going out in the morning and might check a couple places. Im for sure running into walmart for something so will check there for starters. Glad to hear the three im looking for are easy to feel for.

mrkgoo

Local toy store here has their series 11 minifigs in, all labelled up so you can just choose what you want.

Picked up a Yeti for myself, a scientist for my wife, and a couple pretzel girls for others.

This set actually has a lot more figures I like compared to other series, where I'm only drawn to a few. When these go on sale, I may pick up some other ones.

One disappointment is that I thought the Yeti may have had a blue lego head, and a windowed 'helmet' to see the face, kind of like the cyclops. Alas, it's painted. A shame.

neonglow

Where have you all been finding them? Im going out in the morning and might check a couple places. Im for sure running into walmart for something so will check there for starters. Glad to hear the three im looking for are easy to feel for.

You should consider getting the Scarecrow too since I think he's one of the best figures in this series. He has printing on both his front and back torso. His face is a yellowish brown color.

Ponn

Banned
You should consider getting the Scarecrow too since I think he's one of the best figures in this series. He has printing on both his front and back torso. His face is a yellowish brown color.

Oh he's on my list, just not in the top 3. This is the first series where I actually want over half of them. I'd like the Scarecrow for my halloween scene, would also like his pitchfork for Scarecrow from the Arkham set.

Ryuuroden

Looks like Winter Market for me in Oct. with all those bonuses. Then see what happens for Brick Friday for the second promo set.

Finally finished Haunted House today, got a new camera but waiting on sim card for it to work so will take better pictures of it later. So all in all I think I was missing a whole smaller bag from #3 bags. I'm not really sure at this point if it was Amazon or Lego's fault because it was a Warehouse deal but the box itself looked brand new and unopened. I'm pretty disappointed about that, not sure what Lego would do for a whole missing bag and I managed to swipey swipe pieces from unused sets I have right now to put it together with some changes I think look pretty nice anyways. I sent an angry email to Amazon so will see what happens. Won't return it, not going t tear it down this soon and then put a whole new one together.

Other then that misfortune yes it was a wonderful set to put together and great to see it get bigger and bigger and more full of life. Outside is amazing and I can't wait to start adding onto the outside for a great Halloween scene.

I am honestly worried about this too and may end up building the one i just got, in order to make sure. I got the Haunted House from Amazon and when i opened it to re-bag it all into zip-lock bags for storage and building after I move i found multiple open bags in the box. Your comment here has me worried. It did not seem tampered with when I received it till i opened the actual box.

EDIT: and just to add, the reason why I am extra worried is a few years back I worked at a TRU distribution center and we had an issue with some customers buying the really expensive sets like Taj Mahal and then returning them to us. We then found out later from other customers that they were missing bags. Turns out those first customers were buying the sets and removing 1 or 2 bags from each and sending it back while masking that the seal was broke. However they did it, there was no visible damage on the outside of the box and they had added weight inside the box to cheat the warehouse scales we use to check for missing stuff.

ghostmind

If you call LEGO and identify the missing elements, they will probably be able to figure out exactly what bag was missing. Either that, or just make a list of all missing pieces and phone LEGO customer support - they will replace them all.

ghostmind

What extras do you have? My son wasn't too enamored with the Grandma in his pack today.

Today I got two extra Lady Robots and an extra Welder. I may keep the Welder though.

I also have over 30 extra Series 10 minifigs, as well as a smattering of S9 and S8.

If you speak Portuguese, there is what looks to be a great article by Marcos Bessa, going through the development of the Quinjet, in MOGAZINE.

http://issuu.com/comunidade0937/docs/mogazine-1

If some intrepid GAF-er is able to translate the article, that would be wonderful, though its worth a look for the pictures alone.

I shall have to ask my friend who speaks Portugese, but I dont think he has the time to translate. But I would love to read it. Blessed be Bessa!

Looked at some of the early versions of the Quinjet in that. Some really neat stuff that got changed.

On a different note, to all MOCers: Toys N Bricks has a MOC contest for Sept-Oct.

It’s hard to believe that we only have a few weeks left of summer! On the bright side, our LEGO Fall 2013 Contest (September - October) is now here! This Fall, the challenge is to build a model that is 1:1 scale. The size limit is one cubic foot. There is NO piece limit, but your model must not exceed the size limit (no overhang). If you have a question regarding this contest, please post it here.

Use your imagination to design a creation! Be creative, it could be anything! This contest will feature FIVE prize categories. Up for grabs for the grand prize winner will be brand-new copies of 7754 Home One Mon Calamari Star Cruiser, 7752 Count Dooku's Solar Sailer, 6862 Superman vs. Power Armor Lex, and 30080 Ninja Glider! See below for the other prize categories.

Fall 2013 Contest Picture copy.jpg

Contest Rules
Model must be 1:1 scale.
There is no maximum number of elements. No counting required!
Model dimension (maximum): 1 foot long by 1 foot wide by 1 foot high.
Entries must be completely new (it cannot be from a past contest, event, etc)
Entries must be built with LEGO pieces (no LDD, custom brands, stickers, other objects used)
If you have won the last LEGO Building Contest: Spring 2013 (agrahmann and dho7622u) you are not allowed to enter
All basic contest rules followed
Submit your Entry

Please submit your entries in this topic
Details on how to submit are also available there
Evaluation
Contest evaluation will be based on votes from members
If there is a tie, there will either be another voting round for the 2 contestants or the staff will make the final call
Deadline: Contest ends on October 31 at 21:00 PST (November 1 - 0:00 EST).
*All entries that fail to meet the above guidelines by the deadline will be disqualified.

Prizes

Grand Prize
7754 Home One Mon Calamari Star Cruiser
7752 Count Dooku's Solar Sailer
6862 Superman vs. Power Armor Lex
30080 Ninja Glider

Second Place
8128 Cad Bane Speeder (No Box)
7958 Star Wars Advent Calendar 2011
30080 Ninja Glider

We have three different prize packs for third, fourth and fifth place. We will allow the third place winner to choose between the three prize packs below and then the fourth place winner will choose and the fifth place winner will get the last pack.

Third/Fourth/or Fifth Place
7958 Star Wars Advent Calendar 2011
8084 Snowtrooper Battle Pack
30080 Ninja Glider

6862 Superman vs. Power Armor Lex
8084 Snowtrooper Battle Pack
30080 Ninja Glider

3866 Star Wars: The Battle of Hoth game
30080 Ninja Glider

*Box for 8128 Cad Bane Speeder can be provided, but it will be flattened out and will most likely be folded.

Ryuuroden

If you speak Portuguese, there is what looks to be a great article by Marcos Bessa, going through the development of the Quinjet, in MOGAZINE.

If some intrepid GAF-er is able to translate the article, that would be wonderful, though its worth a look for the pictures alone.

One way to translate it is to use google translator. Just type it into the translator, it comes out pretty darn well.

First sentence: principles in 2011 the design team responsible for the LEGO SUPER HEROES - which have been part of since I joined the firm in October 2010 - started working on the second batch of sets, this time as a result of the partnership with DISNEY / MARVEL.

ghostmind

The new General Grievous looks great (assuming this is his new minifig render):

UsTuyBL.jpg

Ponn

Banned
If you call LEGO and identify the missing elements, they will probably be able to figure out exactly what bag was missing. Either that, or just make a list of all missing pieces and phone LEGO customer support - they will replace them all.

I will probably still try that but holy shit this is why i love amazon. They emailed me back and are going to refund me $36.

ghostmind

I don't see the big deal. Unless they managed to put an LED in the figure arm to make the lightsaber actually glow on the real figure.

It's the pose.

Supposedly this is a render from next years' sets.

Where in the OT do we see Vader with an extended hand while his cape is billowing behind him?

Yes I am reaching, but often my hunches are correct. I hope this is one of those times.

Or else it could be one of those times I am absolutely wrong. We shall see...

EDIT: speaking of which, they used to have minifigs with light-up lightsabers, around 2005.

It's the pose.

Where in the OT do we see Vader with an extended hand while his cape is billowing behind him?

Yes I am reaching, but often my hunches are correct. I hope this is one of those times.

Even if we don't get full Cloud City, a small little set for the "I am your father" scene would be great. I had half a MOC done for that moment months ago, but since tore it apart.

D

Diggeh

Unconfirmed Member
After being immensely disappointed by the Mr. Gold fiasco, I found this little guy (and his brick companion) during a recent trip to LEGOLAND begging to be taken home.

He's no Mr. Gold by any stretch--the hands are a strange beige color, he has no features, and that keychain is immediately coming off--but at least I'll have something gold for my minifigure collection.

Welcome, shiny new friend!

L1lYkg7.jpg
C1vW9vA.jpg

neonglow

After being immensely disappointed by the Mr. Gold fiasco, I found this little guy (and his brick companion) during a recent trip to LEGOLAND begging to be taken home.

He's no Mr. Gold by any stretch--the hands are a strange beige color, he has no features, and that keychain is immediately coming off--but at least I'll have something gold for my minifigure collection.

Welcome, shiny new friend!

L1lYkg7.jpg
C1vW9vA.jpg

That was briefly available on LEGO S@H, but it sold out quickly. I'd wish they're restock since I've never seen it in stock at retail locations.

How is the LEGOLAND store compared to a retail location price and size wise?

D

Diggeh

Unconfirmed Member
That was briefly available on LEGO S@H, but it sold out quickly. I'd wish they're restock since I've never seen it in stock at retail locations.

How is the LEGOLAND store compared to a retail location price and size wise?

LEGOLAND is typically better with a member's discount, but newer sets like Star Wars can reach TRU tax price levels.

The main store is large and usually has everything new, especially tons of awesome keychains.

Just used the Lego Digital Designer...

I wish I had that when I was young many years ago, would've been amazing!

Creating a custom box for an engagement ring with the bride and groom at the front within arches.

I just need to go to buy a brick and start spending.

I hope they have hinge items...

Will put a pic of the box when its all done, I'm never going to be as amazing as some of the designers on here, but need to start somewhere!

Had to get Rockers instead of hinges, happier with that, but had to buy more pieces!

rallaren

I can't get it to translate. Can someone tell me what it says about the propellers? Or anything interesting.

Fowler

It's the pose.

EDIT: speaking of which, they used to have minifigs with light-up lightsabers, around 2005.

HYPE. I HAVE IT.

Trying to emulate those older era American trucks...I approve. I need both of these, I love sets with those small evergreen trees...I wish they came in more colors.

neonglow

Here's the set list from a rumored Disney Princess theme next year. They'll be modeled after LEGO Friends mini-dolls.

Ariel’s Secret Treasures (41050)
Merida’s Highland Games (41051)
Cinderella’s Enchanted Carriage (41052)
Ariel’s Magical Kiss (41053)
Rapunzel’s Tower of Creativity (41054)
Cinderella’s Castle Romance (41055)

Ponn

Banned
Oh boy, those holiday sets. I may have to get Winter Cottage through Lego S@H next month and then Market in Nov. to make sure I get both of those sets since they obviously go together.

Ok picture time, couldn't wait for my phone to get working.

yS9e5tj.jpg

"They're ooky and their spooky, all around kooky"

0Avt0Kz.jpg

Hard to make out but since I was missing some of the window pieces I decided to improvise and use some vine pieces on the windows. I think it makes it look more creepy and old looking.

JRWrMUU.jpg

Inside relatively untouched. I mean I like it but for display purposes everything I have planned is for the outside.

Y0qJblD.jpg

nananananananananana BATMAN! i really like this book. I'm glad I got this bundle from Walmart for pretty much the same price I would have paid through Amazon for just the set alone. The book has really nice pictures, some great insight in the back for some of their plans (HOLY SHIT an invisible jet set with Wonder Woman made up of CLEAR PIECES!! um, yes please). It's really nice looking at all the old Batman sets I missed out on and the differences between today.

Haven't put together the Two Face truck and bank yet but OMG yes I now own a real Batmobile. Thing is freaking awesome and was fun to build,sleek as all hell. The only modification I may make is removing the stupid flick missles. Glad I got it, now i'm set with Batman except Arkham Asylum and the full reveal of next years sets.

Here's the set list from a rumored Disney Princess theme next year. They'll be modeled after LEGO Friends mini-dolls.

In theory, this could be fun, if they actually have scenes from the movies and include some interesting male characters too. But I'm not sure if those even have designs in the Princess sub-theme.

Either way, give me Jasmine. And Mulan.

This is interesting-I hope it turns out to be legit.

We moved my daughter`s Friends LEGO down to our ``LEGO room`` in the basement today. One thing that struck me was that each of the sets in the Friends theme is heavily vignette-based. Even the smallest sets contain tiny disjointed elements that are very tough to arrange to form a cohesive visual narrative. We have bags and bags of benches, signs, brushes (oh god the brushes) etc. etc. that are honestly pretty useless in lieu of more buildings.

Dragoshi1

Okay, I'm at wits end.

Guys, I'm in need of serious cash moniez. To pay the bills and stuff. Fortunately, I have a bunch of Lego sets I'm bored with, and would be more then happy to part with.

I'd also like to make room for larger sets down the line; I'm going to legoland in November, and I'll have the cash than to get the Pet Shop or other similar sets.

Unfortunately, however, I don't have any funds at all right now, so I cannot ship off anything.

Does anyone know of any physical places that buy used lego sets? Aside from Craigslist, as I've heard many horror stories about that site.

ghostmind

I see just like Lego City Police, the Night Watchmen is the most numerous figure in Series 11.

Night Watchmen?

The Constable?

On the plus side there will be a lot of police batons to outfit the LEGO CITY Police State, so that they aren't forced to take down criminals by sheer force of numbers while chasing them around with only handcuffs.

Constable lol

I'm considering Bricklinking or trading the ones I want, not sure if I want to keep going back and buying bundles of bags only to strike out lol

I am so jealous of you guys who live near a Lego store. I had an urge to pick up a set or two today (even though I have 4 still in box,whateva) and went to both Target and Walmart and came out with nothing. All of the sets that i want are only sold online or in Lego stores. The ones that are in the 'regular' stores are just sets that I would pickup once I'm caught up with the larger stuff. Every time I reached for a LOTR set or SW set I kept saying "that's money that could go towards Haunted House or Tower Bridge". Not having a Lego store around really sucks if you want to pickup something on impulse,especially on the weekends. The nearest Lego store is 3 hours away in Texas :(

Sorry to hear that. At least they have free shipping on $75 or more which coincides with their good giveaways.

I'm screaming inside like a little school girl. Is that normal for a grown man with 2 sons?
I so hope this is true. It's a natural extension of Friends. They've had Duplo princesses like that, but never LEGO sets.

Disney CMF's someday??? I'm sure this will happen once LEGO runs out of ideas.

Sorry to hear that. At least they have free shipping on $75 or more which coincides with their good giveaways.

I'm screaming inside like a little school girl. Is that normal for a grown man with 2 sons?
I so hope this is true. It's a natural extension of Friends. They've had Duplo princesses like that, but never LEGO sets.

Disney CMF's someday??? I'm sure this will happen once LEGO runs out of ideas.

Will they be mini figs or mini dolls?

But a super huge Disney princess set is exciting.

neonglow

Will they be mini figs or mini dolls?

But a super huge Disney princess set is exciting.

They're mini-dolls. Going by the numbering, I expect Cinderella to get a big castle set. I could imagine Rapunzel's tower being a multi-level tower with modular rooms. Hoping it'll be like a smaller version of the Tower of Orthanc.

Top Bottom