• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO GAF |OT2|: Building Dreams. Demolishing Wallets

What are people's thoughts on the old 8088 ARC-170 Starfighter set?

I've been looking at the older sets recently, and this one really sticks out as being one I feel I've "missed out on" with my recent SW collection.

Worthy addition? Good build?

Obviously a bit of a premium these days, but it's a set that I've got a bit of interest in so I wondered if any of you have it/what it's like as a display piece etc.
I didn't care much for it, but could be because I was comparing them to the current offering.

I find it interesting just how much minifigs have improved in the last few years. I can't get pictures, but compare Ewok Village Leia's face to Battle of Endor Leia. Not to mention the early yellow Harry Potter faces or that anime themed thing they had going on. Those are almost offensively ugly.

What was the turning point?

I find it interesting just how much minifigs have improved in the last few years. I can't get pictures, but compare Ewok Village Leia's face to Battle of Endor Leia. Not to mention the early yellow Harry Potter faces or that anime themed thing they had going on. Those are almost offensively ugly.

I didn't really notice it until I saw the A-Wing pilot this year. Boba Fett in the skiff was also a bit of a surprise.

shadow29

Neo Member
Even though I don't buy alot of clone wars era sets, seeing those animation faces go away was a great day. Made me cringe every time I saw em in a store.

For me, it was when they dropped the minifig yellow for licensed sets.

I would like to add that with all the improvements, they still make those awful Clone War Cartoon minifigs. Print quality is great, but I don't like the eye design on them at all.

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
Getting 79104 The Shellraiser Street Chase delivered to my house today. Used the Yoyo deals posted a couple pages back to get it for $35. Once it is delivered i will have all four Turtles. I still need 3 sets to have all the sets, but I am debating on if I want all the sets or not.

fcP6yJJ.jpg

It's a pretty recent change. 2000-2003 used the yellow Leia head. 2004 to 2009 or possibly 2010 used the head on the left. 2011 and onwards has used the new ones.

Aside from weird proportions, it seems the change to highlights in the eyes is a fairly recent innovation, and it does WONDERS for the characters. All CMFs are like that, so I'm guessing it happened around 2010-2011.

Getting 79104 The Shellraiser Street Chase delivered to my house today. Used the Yoyo deals posted a couple pages back to get it for $35. Once it is delivered i will have all four Turtles. I still need 3 sets to have all the sets, but I am debating on if I want all the sets or not.

I am hoping they do another wave for more chances to get turtles. I don't care for the sets much. The Turtle's Lair is the only one I actually like. Well, Baxter's Mech or whatever it's called looks ok and a review pointed out the nice play features.

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
I am hoping they do another wave for more chances to get turtles. I don't care for the sets much. The Turtle's Lair is the only one I actually like. Well, Baxter's Mech or whatever it's called looks ok and a review pointed out the nice play features.

Yea, I thought of the sets more as a parts pack than a set. I will put it together and enjoy it for a bit. After that I will use it for parts most likely.

neonglow

It feels like there's already plenty of ways to get the turtles. If you buy every set you get 2 complete sets of the 4 turtles though each set would have different facial expressions. Raphael appears 3 times.

It feels like there's already plenty of ways to get the turtles. If you buy every set you get 2 complete sets of the 4 turtles though each set would have different facial expressions. Raphael appears 3 times.

Yes, if you don't care about the facial expressions you get I think it was only 3 sets you need to buy to get all 4. I want multiples (preferably with closed mouth) though and some of them only come in the pricier sets.

Calm Killer

Does anyone know if I can still get apple tree house anywhere in the wild? Bricklink says it went OOP in June.

Does anyone know if I can still get apple tree house anywhere in the wild? Bricklink says it went OOP in June.

Try Wal-Mart, I often find sets there that went OOP a long while ago.

Especially the ones in...the less richer neighborhoods. Man that makes me sound like such a jerk...

Gonna be tough. That was hard to find this past year even before it went OOP. Toys R Us is your best bet in store. You should call as website didn't say where it's in stock. TRU has some sets that are ancient sitting around sometimes. I still see some Atlantis sets on occasion.

Calm Killer

Try Wal-Mart, I often find sets there that went OOP a long while ago.

Especially the ones in...the less richer neighborhoods. Man that makes me sound like such a jerk...

Gonna be tough. That was hard to find this past year even before it went OOP. Toys R Us is your best bet in store. You should call as website didn't say where it's in stock. TRU has some sets that are ancient sitting around sometimes. I still see some Atlantis sets on occasion.

Thanks Guys, I will check it out.

bodine1231

Was watching this video and he is saying that Lego is pulling Jabba's Palace before the end of this year because of concerns that it looks like a Muslim Temple. Not sure if this is true but if you were maybe on the fence about getting it (me) you may want to pick it up now while it's on sale.

Was watching this video and he is saying that Lego is pulling Jabba's Palace before the end of this year because of concerns that it looks like a Muslim Temple. Not sure if this is true but if you were maybe on the fence about getting it (me) you may want to pick it up now while it's on sale.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=46823101&postcount=5139

There was an official press release or something that LEGO said it was ending that set at some date in the future. That date just happens to be about the usual lifetime of some of their products.

Bottom line, LEGO says it's stopping that set (no different than they stop other sets). Group complaining claims victory. Everyone happy.

neonglow

LOTR, Monster Fighters and Avenger sets will also be done by end of this year. Last few months to get Helm's Deep and the Quinjet.

A summary of pending CUUSOO reviews:

nPj6ly0.png

Fall 2013 looks like it could have more than 1 approval. Knock on wood.

My poor wallet.

Is there a link to all the projects that have reached 10k?

EDIT: I see the right panel has "Review Results", "In Review", and "Next Review"...just wish there was a page listing all in order they reached 10k.

wetwired

A summary of pending CUUSOO reviews:

nPj6ly0.png

My predictions:

- Portal 2 gets through
- Purdue Pete does not, too niche and limited market
- Space Troopers does not, too similar to galaxy squad
- Exo Suit, tough one, I think the design might be too flimsy for a real set but if they can strengthen it then it will get through.
-Android Bug, not sure, but likely to get through
- Zelda, maybe but chances aren't great due to Nintendo's already existing deal with
-Land rover, doesn't get through, too big and expensive to produce for a limited market.
- Mini shop series, gets made but only one shop front.
- Batmobile, doesn't due to existing licensing with DC
- League of Legends, doesn't get through, too niche a market
- Female Minifigure Set, don't really see the point of this one, already kinda covered by the friends line, doesn't get through.
- Poptropica, doesn't get through, too niche
- ATLAS model, based on past scientific sets it stands a good chance, but it's a really dull model so I'd say no.
- FTL, Nope, too niche
- Road to Oz, fairly good chance but it'd only be one set.
- Ghostbusters (both merged) fairly good chance based on the sales of the delorean and the fact there's 20k votes supporting them but the ghostbusters license is notoriously difficult to obtain which could be a killer.

My predictions:

- Portal 2 gets through
- Exo Suit, tough one, I think the design might be too flimsy for a real set but if they can strengthen it then it will get through.
- Zelda, maybe but chances aren't great due to Nintendo's already existing deal with
-Land rover, doesn't get through, too big and expensive to produce for a limited market.
- Female Minifigure Set, don't really see the point of this one, already kinda covered by the friends line, doesn't get through.
- ATLAS model, based on past scientific sets it stands a good chance, but it's a really dull model so I'd say no.
- FTL, Nope, too niche
- Ghostbusters (both merged) fairly good chance based on the sales of the delorean and the fact there's 20k votes supporting them but the ghostbusters license is notoriously difficult to obtain which could be a killer.
Well put. Portal has the strongest chance, based on how nuts people are going over Minecraft sets.
ATLAS model is pretty bland and kinda ugly.
Ghostbusters has the strength of getting 20k support technically, but as you said, getting the license is VERY hard.

bodine1231

If Minecraft went through,League of Legends will go through.

Lego catalog showed up today. What was missing upon first glance: SSD, B-Wing. What remains: Death Star. The set that will never die.

No no no no,not yet. Just hang on Mr. SSD for a bit longer. I still want to get 3 more modulars,Haunted House and Tower Bridge before you go!!

The one project I do hope goes through (no offense master Ghostbusters) is the FTL one. I like the Star Wars micro builds of the vehicles but want non star wars ones... and I love FTL on top of it.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
My predictions:

- Portal 2 gets through
- FTL, Nope, too niche

As a Purdue Alum, I would love to see Purdue Pete. But I agree that it's a bit niche. And I'd love to see the Land Rover as I <3 Technic.

I think Purdue as an association would push hard if approaches by TLG to produce the set. They are a very proud organization. It would sell like mad on campus and in the greater Indianapolis area. And it would be neat to do a Technic release similar to the limited release crawler - similar concept with the CUUSUU set I would think?

ghostmind

Will its short lifespan make it increase in after market value, or will the fire sale to clear out inventory mean it will stay stagnant?

I think it may be stagnant initially, but in a few years I think it will increase dramatically, since it was only available for less than a year.

Fowler

I hope the excitement over the Back to the Future set is used as a selling point to the license holders for Ghostbusters.

I swear to god that Ghostbusters set better make it through. Do Sony/Columbia not like making money?

They are just fiercely protective of the IP. But LEGO is one of the oldest and most respected toy companies, so if anyone can get it done, it is them.

I think it may be stagnant initially, but in a few years I think it will increase dramatically, since it was only available for less than a year.

I can see that. Once the stigma of it bombing goes away and people late to buying it come around, the lower quantity of sets made will keep the price high then.

I never want to resell my stuff, but thinking of how expensive some of these things have gone makes me want to do it someday.

Calm Killer

Lego catalog showed up today. What was missing upon first glance: SSD, B-Wing. What remains: Death Star. The set that will never die.

I got mine two days ago and I only saw the Palace Cinema in there. No other modular buildings. I mean I can see the firehouse and GE going, but surely Pet Shop and Town Hall have a few more years....Right? RIGHT? I don't have Town Hall yet. Been waiting on it to hit $150 at Walmart or Target or somewhere.

Calm Killer

They need a start building a bigger/more dedicated CUUSOO approval team!

Still have my fingers crossed for the Portal set, want that so bad.

The definitely need to pick up the pace on these things. They made the announcement that they were making the Delorean. We now have the Delorean and no new announcement. We should get an announcement when each set is released. If they are doing quarterly reviews we need quarterly announcements as well!

SpeedNut

I think the Land Rover has a fighting chance after the super-fast 41999 crawler went. It just depends on what price point LEGO is trying to keep the Cuusoo line at. If it's ~$35 like the previous few almost all of those sets are doomed.

Calm Killer

My predictions:

- Portal 2 gets through Agree
- Purdue Pete does not, too niche and limited market Agree
- Space Troopers does not, too similar to galaxy squad Agree
- Exo Suit, tough one, I think the design might be too flimsy for a real set but if they can strengthen it then it will get through. I think it will get through. Seems to be th right size and a good idea. They will of course alter the design.
-Android Bug, not sure, but likely to get through Disagree
- Zelda, maybe but chances aren't great due to Nintendo's already existing deal Licensing will kill this one
-Land rover, doesn't get through, too big and expensive to produce for a limited market. Agree
- Mini shop series, gets made but only one shop front. Agree, although licensing will be problematic
- Batmobile, doesn't due to existing licensing with DC Agree
- League of Legends, doesn't get through, too niche a market Agree
- Female Minifigure Set, don't really see the point of this one, already kinda covered by the friends line, doesn't get through. Agree
- Poptropica, doesn't get through, too niche Agree
- ATLAS model, based on past scientific sets it stands a good chance, but it's a really dull model so I'd say no. Disgree. I think all of the Science base passes so far are dull. Adds to the family of boredom IMO
- FTL, Nope, too niche Agree
- Road to Oz, fairly good chance but it'd only be one set. Agree
- Ghostbusters (both merged) fairly good chance based on the sales of the delorean and the fact there's 20k votes supporting them but the ghostbusters license is notoriously difficult to obtain which could be a killer. Agree

My thoughts.

Fowler

Wouldn't count on Cuusoo getting bigger any time soon. Had the CFO of Lego on my show earlier today... interview was a bit of a mess because of a variety of technical issues, but we asked about Cuusoo and he basically fobbed it off as a niche product. To be honest, he didn't even speak about it as something that produces products, just talked about it being an area where Lego fans can share ideas. Which isn't really the point, is it?

Naka

I agree with this, but I think it's important to note that the likelihood of ever seeing a redesign of it is slim. So ultimately I think in a few years the value will be really high.

bodine1231

Bought the Millenium Falcon 7965 for 99 and Helms Deep for 89 at Wal-Mart. They also had the Malevolence for 60 and a TON of Mines of Moria and Goblin Battle for 65. Thinking about going back for them but they had a TON so they could go down more. What do yall think?

ghostmind

The official word from LEGO on Star Wars Planets Series 4 (via FBTB):

The second wave of 2013 LSW planets are no longer launching in the US. They will be available in other global countries, however. As you know, some markets carry slightly different collections depending on their market dynamics, so the strategic decision was made not to launch them in the US.

I ordered mine from Amazon France, and they should be here tomorrow. Didn't pay much more than MSRP, but if they are not being sold in NorthAm ever, then I can see supplies drying up quickly as speculators snatch them up for resale.

Top Bottom