• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO GAF |OT2|: Building Dreams. Demolishing Wallets

ghostmind

What happened at previous NYCCs?

I think previous NYCC's have been ok, but LEGO is newer to the NYCC, as they've only been there with any real presence for the past two years, and they haven't been as crazy with the giveaways.

The problems have been at the last two SDCC's, and the poor planning by TLG in regards to their booth and giveaways. Two years in a row the SDCC admin have had to shut down the LEGO booth due to security and fire marshall concerns. There has been talk about not allowing LEGO to return to SDCC next year unless they can guarantee some real change about how they are doing things.

NYCC admins are just being proactive, and protecting their 'Con from falling into the chaos that SDCC has had to endure.

Fowler

I thought the point of Cuusoo was to bring ideas that typically wouldn't be LEGO products to shelves. Also, to introduce non-LEGO buyers to LEGO and lure them in that way.

I know, right? You'd think the CFO would know about what Cuusoo really does if it was even halfway important to the company.

neonglow

I think previous NYCC's have been ok, but LEGO is newer to the NYCC, as they've only been there with any real presence for the past two years, and they haven't been as crazy with the giveaways.

The problems have been at the last two SDCC's, and the poor planning by TLG in regards to their booth and giveaways. Two years in a row the SDCC admin have had to shut down the LEGO booth due to security and fire marshall concerns. There has been talk about not allowing LEGO to return to SDCC next year unless they can guarantee some real change about how they are doing things.

NYCC admins are just being proactive, and protecting their 'Con from falling into the chaos that SDCC has had to endure.

LEGO Booths have poor crowd control. Just imagine a store just letting everyone in at once on Black Friday. It's a mad scramble for the goods.

Serve them right, the whole exclusives thing they do is just plain dumb and alienate not only the fan base but new people getting into the hobby both kids and adults. I know most of you hate that editorial by Bantha guy but if you read, he didn't really whine about not getting the exclusives (because he already got them) but how LEGO handle the whole exclusive and they way they were giving out.

They should just make a few commemorative set and sold those instead of doing one-off mini-figs that you know will just drive collectors nut. It's good that when I got into LEGO I am pretty much done with the whole got have them all collecting mentality (been there done that).

If the thing about coupon is true, I am going to be pretty annoy with them and seriously rethink what I am buying. As for their push into Asia I hope that's true because the price on those LEGO in Asia are just insane. I was in Bangkok earlier this year and I could not believe the price (I know a lot of you non-US LEGO are paying crazy high price too). I remember seeing some of the set that are triple the cost of price in the US and we are talking about country where average people make just few hundred dollars a month.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I'm not sure about the discount thing. Why do they specially list LUG, AFOL days etc but not simple newsletter coupons? Looks more like they are locking down bulk discounts - all if those are opportunities to buy every 10xxx set in a store for a discount, whereas the 10% voucher is just a single item. Maybe lego is worried about people buying to speculate or resell?

Hopefully there will be clarification though

It's a hard coded restriction in the register for those specific sets previously listed. Even damaged box discounts for those sets are off the table now.

LAME! Lame, lame, lame!

The "may not apply" instead of "will not apply" gave me some hope. Either way, in October I will at least try and use it.

mojiimbo

LAME! Lame, lame, lame!

The "may not apply" instead of "will not apply" gave me some hope. Either way, in October I will at least try and use it.
I interpreted "may not apply" to refer to sets that are exclusive or "hard-to-find", but not on The List. Stuff like the new Jedi Defender, Mini Modulars or the new $220 Technics yellow crane, which seem to be fair game so far as far as the computer is concerned.

LEGO Halloween Accessory Set for 30% off (US) or 27% off (Canada).

$10.48 US

http://toysnbricks.com/lego-shop-at-home-september-sale-clearance-deals/

LEGO-Halloween-Accessory-Set-850487-Toysnbricks-300x293.jpg

If that's true, I hope LEGO will learn their lesson. It's absurd that true fans miss out on those minifigs only for scalpers to profit.

Agreed. I would love some of those exclusive Superhero figures for my collection but I refuse to pay the online asking price, it's absurd. I feel like I'm getting punished for having such little a chance of getting them in the first place.

wetwired

My armoury arrived today so I've finally be able to put together Batman and Bane's armies...

display_bat.jpg

display_bane.jpg

I also knocked up a few familiar faces I'll hide around my expo display scene...

display_xfiles.jpg

display_joker.jpg
display_connery.jpg

rallaren

I have been eyeing it for months and finally caved, ordered and built it today. I was about to cancel it but took a last look at the preview pictures and saw that "Eris" is female (I don't have many of those) and it sold me.

Was a good building experience, cool figures and engine detail stickers on the legs. Forgot to include the enemy vehicle in the pic.

nPv8yjR.jpg
foUFkL0.jpg

Got my 16 series 11 today (plus Mini VW Camper). Mostly happy, got 11 different characters, no Pretzel Girl but four Lady Robots. Those I don't care about will still find some part use - flasks, swords, rope etc.Hoping I have enough spare light grey parts to turn the robots into useful statues.

Jimbro72

The official word from LEGO on Star Wars Planets Series 4 (via FBTB):

I ordered mine from Amazon France, and they should be here tomorrow. Didn't pay much more than MSRP, but if they are not being sold in NorthAm ever, then I can see supplies drying up quickly as speculators snatch them up for resale.

That really sucks. As someone who prefers to pay less than retail for sets, having to pay more now means not sure I will be adding these to my collection or not. A shame, too, as they are probably the best looking series of the 4. I assume there are no unique pieces in these, so the only real thing you can't get elsewhere is the planet itself? If so, I can live without that.

That is awful news!! I guess I need to find the snowspeeder before the price skyrockets.

I hate to add to the bad news, but here is more info on the 10% coupon not working on certain sets at the brick and mortar Lego store. Post from Bricklink forum: http://www.bricklink.com/message.asp?ID=755191

Hello and Good Afternoon folks,

I hope this message finds you all well. I understand there has been a bit of
chatter and discussion around the community in regards to a recent change in
qualifying items that may be purchased with a discount via LEGO Brand Retail
Stores. I have reached out to my colleagues within LEGO Brand Retail as well
as other business partners within the company to investigate this further. I
can confirm with you all today that a new restriction has, in fact, been placed
upon items that may be purchased with a discount through LEGO Brand Retail as
well as LEGO Shop-at-Home. This new rule applies to any and all discount opportunities
that are currently operating. These are the areas that affect the AFOL community:

· LBR LUG Showcase Program

· AFOL Appreciation Shopping Day

· New LBR Store Opening Volunteer Opportunities

· LBR Master Model Building Event Volunteer Opportunities

· LBR Large Scaled Store Event Volunteer Opportunities

As of July 1st, the following “exclusive” items are no longer available to be
purchased at a discount, with no exceptions:

10188 Death Star™
10197 Fire Brigade
10211 Grand Emporium
10214 Tower Bridge
10218 Pet Shop
10221 Super Star Destroyer
10220 Volkswagen T1 Camper Van
10223 Kingdoms Joust
10224 Town Hall
10225 SW R2D2
10226 Sopwith Camel
10228 Haunted House
10229 Winter Village Cottage
10233 Horizon Express
10937 Batman™: Arkham Asylum Breakout
10232 Palace Cinema
10240 Red Five X-Wing Starfighter™
10237 The Tower of Orthanc
10234 Sydney Opera House™
10236 Ewok™ Village
10235 Winter Village Market
31313 MINDSTORMS 2013
21050 Architecture Studio

I understand that this will likely be met with great disappointment and concern.
I assure you this decision was not made lightly and at an extremely high level
within our organization. I would appreciate your help in passing along this information
to your respective LUGs to ensure everyone is adequately prepared before participating
in one of the above mentioned discount opportunities. Please note this new restriction
ONLY applies to North America, more specifically the United States and Canada.

I have already passed along my feedback concerning this change as the community
representative for North America to the appropriate individuals. Thank you for
your continued time and support.

Regards,

LEGO

Kevin Hinkle
Senior Community Coordinator
CEE Community Support

That is a bit disappointing, if true. Last 10% off coupon I used was last spring when I bought Tower Bridge, which looks like now I wouldn't be allowed to. I already spend way more money with Amazon than I do directly from LEGO. This won't help that.

The coupon is pretty useless then. The whole point of waiting for 10% coupon is to use them at LEGO store on items that you could not get anywhere else. I was planning to use 10% on either Ewok or UCS X-Wing.

I don't know if I'd say useless but it definitely is no where near as good as it was. It'll still be decent to use on certain TRU or Target or Walmart exclusive sets (assuming there are ones that you want) where you can also combine it with VIP points as well as whatever free promo LEGO has at the time. So it can still be useful, just not nearly as good a deal as it once was. Still waiting on my catalog to show up but it'll remain to be seen now what I'll even use my coupon on.

To complete the trifecta of not-so-great news of the day - LEGO will not be at NYCC.

The reason being floated around is that TLG had instead chosen to use their show budget to do the big Times Square X-wing reveal.

However, I have it on some authority that the real reason is that after seeing the chaos TLG has caused at SDCC two years in a row, and TLG's weak responses to the problem, NYCC organizers had chosen to ban LEGO from exhibiting there.

More to come, I am sure.

I'm actually ok with this news, especially if LEGO would have rolled out some exclusive figure or little set that I would have wanted but wouldn't get due to high prices afterward. I can't imagine they would have been showing any '14 sets at this point, would they have?

My armoury arrived today so I've finally be able to put together Batman and Bane's armies...

I also knocked up a few familiar faces I'll hide around my expo display scene...

display_xfiles.jpg

display_joker.jpg

Awesome looking armies. I <3 classic aliens and X-Files makes it even better. Oooh, Jack Nicholson Joker! Maybe add a bust or paintings for him to paint on.

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
Went to my local Walmart to search for clearance LEGO. They have The Goblin King Battle (79010) for $40. But of course the box has been tampered with. I unsealed it and all the minifigs are missing. Christ.

But at least they series 11 minifigs. I grabbed four packs without feeling them and pulled two Constables, the Barbarian and the Scarecrow.

bodine1231

Make sure to check multiple places in Wal-Mart for clearance Lego. The stores in my area have clearance isles but some also put clearance stuff in the garden area. Found the best stuff there because nobody checks back there.

Btw I think I'm gonna go back and pick up a bunch of that clearance stuff I listed earlier. I really want to get the larger sets and modulars first but I think jumping on the clearance stuff now is the better play. A lot of the Super Hero sets don't interest me aside from the minifigs though. That's the only thing holding me back.

Fowler

Bit down at the minute, so decided to spoil myself by spending an absurd amount of money on the Back to the Future set.

It's... alright, I guess.

It's less ugly in person. There are a lot of nice touches. But then you've got stuff like minifigs not fitting inside easily and it just puts you off a bit. Would it have been so hard to make a minifig sit inside properly?

(As an aside, this is something our own wetwired absolutely NAILED with his Batman Tumbler -- Batman fits properly in there!)

Fxp

Finally managed to grab cheaper Pet Shop from Amazon Warehouse, only Town Hall and Palace Cinema are left now to collect.
What other discounted online options are available in US?

P.S. Buying from Europe and sending sets to my cousin who travel to Europe regularly.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Just saw the promotion for the mini Volkswagen T1 camper van. Yeah, I think I'll make my first Lego purchase in a while now. ;)

Just saw the promotion for the mini Volkswagen T1 camper van. Yeah, I think I'll make my first Lego purchase in a while now. ;)

It's a nice looking set. I'm debating whether or not to splurge again in September to get a second, or to hold off until double VIP.

I would consider the Camper Van proper or the Horizon Express. In October I'm hoping for Palace Cinema and the Winter Village thing.

bodine1231

Given equal price(200) and piece count(2300). Would you rather get 1 large set or a number of small/medium sized sets? Lets say you'll end up with more minifigs with the smaller/medium sets and more pieces with the larger one.

It's a nice looking set. I'm debating whether or not to splurge again in September to get a second, or to hold off until double VIP.

I would consider the Camper Van proper or the Horizon Express. In October I'm hoping for Palace Cinema and the Winter Village thing.
Get full size camper first.

ericb!

Neo Member
I bought 10230 Mini Modulars today from the LEGO store, but was unable to use my 10% off coupon. I did, however, receive the mini VW Camper Van with my purchase. That polybag, along with seeing this picture for the first time, sure brightened my mood...happy little trees...

bob_ross.jpg

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I'm a LITTLE lttp on the whole LEGO saying no more discounts on bigger flagship sets (thankfully Technic isn't part of that lot, ha)...What's the deal? Were they just not bringing in as much profit as they wanted?

Give me reasons. SW sets are rapidly losing appeal and the camper vs. horizon debate is raging in my head.

Reasons!
VW Camper is older, so will most likely disappear first. The build was more fun and exciting than Horizon Express, but there are stickers to VW.

VW is a perfect showcase set because it is a nice size to out nearly anywhere, and is an iconic vehicle. The interior details are tip top, and the set just exudes character and charm.

On the other hand, HE is in dat orange. There are a lot of neat interior touches to it, and some great building techniques such as the chevrons on the side. It also has minimal stickers, which helps.

But it just does not look as cool on display as VW, nor was it as fun to build. If I had a permanent track set up and a motor, I might change my positioning. But don't take these criticisms as a knock against Horizon Express. It is an A class set. It is just that VW Camper is an A+ class set. It is also slightly less expensive.

Jimbro72

Had anyone actually been told in store they couldn't use it towards any of these sets when trying to use the coupon? I ask because I did notice the coupons wording said it "may" exclude certain exclusives, not that it will exclude them. Maybe it's a YMMV situation that will vary store to store on what they'll allow it on? Otherwise why not word it saying it WILL exclude all exclusive sets, hard to find, etc.

Had anyone actually been told in store they couldn't use it towards any of these sets when trying to use the coupon? I ask because I did notice the coupons wording said it "may" exclude certain exclusives, not that it will exclude them. Maybe it's a YMMV situation that will vary store to store on what they'll allow it on? Otherwise why not word it saying it WILL exclude all exclusive sets, hard to find, etc.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=80391285&postcount=18983

We'll find out soon enough from others.

shadow29

Neo Member
I was planning to use it to get the Haunted House when the Lego Store opens in Utah (Some day damnit). A bit disappointed now though. Might end getting a cheaper set as a result.

ghostmind

I bought 10230 Mini Modulars today from the LEGO store, but was unable to use my 10% off coupon. I did, however, receive the mini VW Camper Van with my purchase. That polybag, along with seeing this picture picture for the first time, sure brightened my mood...happy little trees...

bob_ross.jpg

Happy clouds!

Here are some pictures of the ARC-170 Starfighter. I got the set for slightly above retail and with some trading with the local LEGO Bricks & Minifigs store. This along with the Republic Gunship are few of my favorite design from the Prequel. This ship is from Episode 3 but LEGO sort of thrown in Kit Fisto to increase the desirability (who want bunch of lame looking Clone Pilot. This is the phase where the pilot are a cross between Rebel and the later Empire pilot. Honestly I think they should have stick with the clone pilots wearing something closer to the later Tie pilots.

Anyway, the set is only 396 pieces but came in really large box (this was before LEGO small box size initiative I suppose) so most of the box is just empty space. The set looks impressive from the box top and pictures I saw on the net but upon finishing the set just doesn't seems all that impressive. The ship is pretty sparse as far as detail with a lot of unsightly gaps also the ship is small especially the nosecone and seems a bit out of scale. Like most of prequel ship, the design suffer from the fact that they were design and build digitally and as such lack that "real world" feel of the old trilogy.

2965ZsDl.jpg

iZ4uI6Rl.jpg

87CdiyHl.jpg

I choose not to apply any of the few stickers the set came with but I didn't think it detract too much from the final product. (I wasn't planning to keep the set together very long but so far the ship has survive the dismantle process). I add small red piece to the nose in place of the sticker.

7QylwBbl.jpg

The cockpit is pretty bare and lack any details and actually sort of ugly but one have to keep in mind the set is from 4 years ago and it definitely shows its age compare to the newer recent set. I think LEGO have come a long way in set design in the last few years.

AG75c4Wl.jpg

XiwlmdKl.jpg

yV0NbJSl.jpg

The ship has no landing gear and the engine nacelles and nozzles are not very details compare to the original. I really don't like the giant wheels for intake but that seems to be favorite go to part for LEGO. The ship has foil wings like the X-Wings and can be in open position using gears and rubber band (like LEGO X-Wings). Of course the wings can't be open when the ship is on the ground so I build a little stand for them (it's ugly compare to what Phone make but it did the job).

zQe8kVAl.jpg

Overall it's not a bad looking ship but it does suffer somewhat from its age and lack of pieces. I think the nose is way too small and cockpits and engines leave a lot to be desire. I was hoping this is one of the ship that will get release next year (since 2014 suppose to be for now cancel 3D Episode 3). So far it has not show up on any of the leak photos but we still have summer and 2nd half of 2014. I don't know how far out LEGO plan their license stuffs but if they go out that far this ship has a good chance of getting a remake like the recent Gunship and AT-TE.

EKluEkZl.jpg

Nice assortment of mini-figures and including R4-P44.

The odds of my wife allowing me town the Best Star, let alone build it, are slim to none.

But I have my eye on the VW & HH.

Best Star and SSD are two sets that were VERY hard to convince my wife to allow. But eventually I just bought them and she had to accept it. LOL.

VW is an easy one to sell the wife on. It is small and out of the way, and everyone loves the little guy. Hell, even my mother in law wants the set badly.

Haunted House is getting rotation as Halloween decoration here, and thankfully my wife loves Halloween decorating, so she approves of the set and me building dioramas for it.

On a different note, I have one of the (no longer quite as good) 10% coupons if someone wants it. Lot of financial issues going on now due to the university my wife works at fucking around with us, so I am probably on a moratorium for buying sets the rest of the year. If I use my credit card to get Ewok Village or Sydney Opera House next month, my wife would probably kill me. Like, seriously straight up murder me. So barring some miracle in the last few months, 2013 is probably done for me (well, except maybe a tiny set here or there, or the final mini figs I need). Sadly, that also means I will most likely miss out on the exclusive holiday sets, and they both look so great. But I must be smart and ride this storm out.

Don't worry though. My horrible influence will still be strong in here as I try and convince others to buy stuff. :)

ghostmind

That Halloween pack that is on sale for $10.49 is well worth it too. The zombie is going for $9 alone on Bricklink.

EDIT: Oops, wetwired already mentioned this.

That Halloween pack that is on sale for $10.49 is well worth it too. The zombie is going for $9 alone on Bricklink.

EDIT: Oops, wetwired already mentioned this.

I'd grab it but I'm not into the monster theme much, otherwise I'd grab it right away :)

also, I wish they sold smaller grey baseplates :(

I posted these back in April, but since double VIP is coming up and others were debating between VW Camper and Horizon Express:

Horizon Express Time Lapse Build

VW Camper Time Lapse Build

Should give you a good idea about the builds on both.

Thanks for the feedback on both builds. I suspect I'll get them both, it's just a matter of "when".

I am coming to a crossroads with the amount of LEGO that I have. I have much of it displayed in my basement office and it's starting to feel disjointed and cluttered. I may take it down to just minifigs, modulars and a small selection of other items. To that end I do want to create a street vignette of some sort, and I think the horizon would supplement this nicely given the minifig scale.

On the other hand....the camper is going to be gone soon (but not too soon-they wouldn't have had the September promotion if it was gone in the next couple of months), and it it is a beautiful model. It would display nicely on independent shelves next to sets like the bttf one. Ah, dork dilemmas.

I was out of town again this week but finished the first floor of Haunted House with my daughter before I left. Holy crap. This thing feels like a modular. Bag 1 redeemed.

Top Bottom