• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO GAF |OT2|: Building Dreams. Demolishing Wallets

tempted to get the Hawaiian Minifigure pack that's on clearance at Lego.com

http://shop.lego.com/en-US/LEGO-Minifigure-Accessory-Pack-850449?fromListing=listing

yes or no?

Yes.

850449-1.jpg

yeah I don't. I've been wanting to get the surfers for a while anyway.

The surfer girl is very cheap. In the aftermarket, but not with the accessory. She goes perfect with the new surfer dude. $11 is a great deal for the set if you like the other accessories and bricks.

http://www.brickset.com/detail/?Set=60011-1
60011-1.jpg

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I really want the mini VW camper but there isn't anything in the store grabbing me right now (maybe an architecture set but I don't want to start down that slippery slope)

Do you think they'll be available on bricklink separately soon? Does it have a proper lego model number?

So my wife got me a pack of LEGO "I Love New York" playing cards from the LEGO store when she was in NYC last month.

Out of curiosity I looked them up and couldn't find any info on them. There's nothing on Brickset, even though they have information on many other sets of LEGO playing cards.

Is this common? I wanted to see if I could order another pack. They have the big sea serpent on the front (the one that's set up in the water at the Downtown Disney store in Orlando)

shadow29

Neo Member
And the Opera House was delivered. About to get started as I clear some space.

Unfortunately the 5 Series 11s I got were a tad disappointing. I ended up with 2 Constables, 2 Yeti and a Climber. Oh well.

EDIT: Only 4 steps for the whole thing. A bit Surprising. It also had a small box inside with steps 1-2 in it with steps 3-4 just sitting in there loose.

Jimbro72

Received my second S@H order of the week yesterday and went through the 20 series 11 figs I ordered. Quite disappointed in the assortment I got. Only got 11 of the 16 with 9 dups.

Extras I have are:
Tiki warrior
Constable - 4
Ginger bread man - 2
Evil mech
Barbarian

What I still need are:
Holiday elf
Mountain climber
Jazz dude
Diner waitress
Lady robot

Got the Back to the Future set last night and built it up. As many have said its a bit flimsy, but I loved building it.
biggest disappointment is that neither figure fits in!
annoyed by that but what a great set to build.

bodine1231

Did some late night clearance hunting last night and came away with these.

Xwing - 40
Ghost Train - 52
Eagle - 9
Gandalf Arrives - 7
Goblin King - 65

BTW,Target had a bunch of stuff marked full price but when I scanned it it came out as clearanced,found the train that way.

Just picked these up! Can't wait to build them :)

9692711359_d1a354927c.jpg

I like both those sets a lot.

The best bang for buck and if you were to get only 1 Lone Ranger set, it's that one. Only complaint is the scale is off, but it looks so nice I can ignore it mostly. Also, you get the two main characters.

I like the minifigs and pieces for LoTR set. Eye of Saruman is great. Also get those 2 crystal ball things in trans yellow. Nice set. Nothing special about build, but can't expect much for that size, it works as a nice display diorama.

bodine1231

I can't wait for some of the Lone Ranger stuff to get marked down. I like quite a few of those sets but not at their current price.

I like both those sets a lot.

The best bang for buck and if you were to get only 1 Lone Ranger set, it's that one. Only complaint is the scale is off, but it looks so nice I can ignore it mostly. Also, you get the two main characters.

I like the minifigs and pieces for LoTR set. Eye of Saruman is great. Also get those 2 crystal ball things in trans yellow. Nice set. Nothing special about build, but can't expect much for that size, it works as a nice display diorama.

Just finished them! They look really nice. I agree with you, the Lone Ranger was a steal. $30 for 5 characters, 3 horses and a large stagecoach and it looks amazing!

The build on the LoTR is actually neat. There is a spinning mechanism for the plantir seeing stone. They had weather top marked down to $20 but I didn't get it.

Just finished them! They look really nice. I agree with you, the Lone Ranger was a steal. $30 for 5 characters, 3 horses and a large stagecoach and it looks amazing!

The build on the LoTR is actually neat. There is a spinning mechanism for the plantir seeing stone. They had weather top marked down to $20 but I didn't get it.

man... all the deals here in my town are horrible. I wish I had shops that discounted like yours... it's so bad here its like when clearance or sales happen nobody does it.

man... all the deals here in my town are horrible. I wish I had shops that discounted like yours... it's so bad here its like when clearance or sales happen nobody does it.

That stinks! I got mine at Walmart, the Lone Ranger wasn't on sale, it's just normally $30 which is a pretty good deal. I went down the clearance row and they had several sets on sale. I don't usually see Lego sets on sale at Walmart though. I'm really thinking about going back now lol. I havent bought any in a long time.

Think I am done for the night. Will try and make it look like parts of the track fell into the water eventually. Still VERY rough WIP, but getting the track in place and having the train take off feels like a big step is done. Not much building per se, but major logistics worked out, which are always time consuming.

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
Think I am done for the night. Will try and make it look like parts of the track fell into the water eventually. Still VERY rough WIP, but getting the track in place and having the train take off feels like a big step is done. Not much building per se, but major logistics worked out, which are always time consuming.

Have Wet send you the ghost buster figs and you can recreate the scene from GB2 with the ghost train.

R-User!

Best Star and SSD are two sets that were VERY hard to convince my wife to allow. But eventually I just bought them and she had to accept it. LOL.

VW is an easy one to sell the wife on. It is small and out of the way, and everyone loves the little guy. Hell, even my mother in law wants the set badly.

Haunted House is getting rotation as Halloween decoration here, and thankfully my wife loves Halloween decorating, so she approves of the set and me building dioramas for it.

On a different note, I have one of the (no longer quite as good) 10% coupons if someone wants it. Lot of financial issues going on now due to the university my wife works at fucking around with us, so I am probably on a moratorium for buying sets the rest of the year. If I use my credit card to get Ewok Village or Sydney Opera House next month, my wife would probably kill me. Like, seriously straight up murder me. So barring some miracle in the last few months, 2013 is probably done for me (well, except maybe a tiny set here or there, or the final mini figs I need). Sadly, that also means I will most likely miss out on the exclusive holiday sets, and they both look so great. But I must be smart and ride this storm out.

Don't worry though. My horrible influence will still be strong in here as I try and convince others to buy stuff. :)

I'm in a similar situation, so you're not alone, but I have a back log of games and creative ideas to execute with large assortment bricks I have now. :) next year will be fun picking up discounted sets in the post Christmas days and into jan...

Back during the May sale, I bought the B-Wing. I knew I'd be moving soon, so I didn't start it right away because transporting it and tearing it down would have sucked.

While it was delayed, now that I'm in my new place, during my internet downtime, I built it. It took me about 6 or so hours across three evenings but it was a fun kit. No bag mixing because I'm still getting back into this.

I wanted to thank people in this thread (and SailorDaravon specifically) for helping me get back into this hobby.

Next up in the SSD.

It's secondhand, so the bags are premixed. I anticipate 6 times the build time.

Should be a riot.

shadow29

Neo Member
Finished up the Opera House this Morning. Whew. Pretty good build, very big and damn well impressive looking. Still have no idea where I am going to put it though.

Making the roof was clever and well done. I would have preferred a bit more stability, but that would be hard for what they pulled off on the inside. The base though was as solid as it could be. Loved building the stairs too. Just a great looking final product thats for sure.

I took some pics, if you guys wanna see em I can put them up later when I transfer them from my phone.

My local store got these in stock on their PAB wall...

411W4arx9VL.jpg

As well as 2x1 transparent-blue tiles.

I'm freakin' out.

Stay calm. Pick up at the very least a large PAB cub and fill it with those. If you can afford it, maybe another large cup of the leaves. If you have time, connect them and fill it with the trans blue tiles.

There has been a lot of very good pieces lately in the PAB wall that have been reported.
I do RSS on http://www.brickbuildr.com/view/pab/ to get updates.

Many of them have not shown up at my store or they go quickly at other nearby stores. Should we start a separate thread or just post what we are look for here if someone would be kind enough to pick up multiple cups and ship them? I have long list. :)

ruxtpin

Banned
Stay calm. Pick up at the very least a large PAB cub and fill it with those. If you can afford it, maybe another large cup of the leaves. If you have time, connect them and fill it with the trans blue tiles.

There has been a lot of very good pieces lately in the PAB wall that have been reported.
I do RSS on http://www.brickbuildr.com/view/pab/ to get updates.

Many of them have not shown up at my store or they go quickly at other nearby stores. Should we start a separate thread or just post what we are look for here if someone would be kind enough to pick up multiple cups and ship them? I have long list. :)

done! I got 4 large PAB cups. 3 of them were filled with leaves stacked/connected. And then the free space on the sides was filled with the trans-blue tiles. Snagged handfuls of 1x1 dark green and dark gray that were available as well. Was about to buy a couple of sets but the lady asked if I wanted the VW camper or the Star Wars fig. I said I could get both online and she was like, "Nah - you just get to pick one here." Decided to forego the sets and will place an order later tonight.

Got my 10220 VW Camper last weekend with it's little brother and both are now built.

Really enjoyed 10220 with superb detailing. It's one of the few sets I bothered to apply stickers too (in fact I think it's the only one now I think about it) and now I'm thinking about swapping out the Red for Orange just for fun.

Which reminds me I took these photos at Lego Stratford some time this year.

And saw this online somewhere....

Picked up the Bug Obliterator too recently and the build was so much fun I want to make my own larger scale so am looking into that.

Was just updating Brickset

• I own 198 sets
  • I have 50023 pieces (excluding Bricklink which will be about 5000 pieces)
  • Retail value is £4095 (108 sets)

Not too bad given I've been back into Lego since Jan 2012 and I only had about 5 sets from before then.

ghostmind

done! I got 4 large PAB cups. 3 of them were filled with leaves stacked/connected. And then the free space on the sides was filled with the trans-blue tiles. Snagged handfuls of 1x1 dark green and dark gray that were available as well. Was about to buy a couple of sets but the lady asked if I wanted the VW camper or the Star Wars fig. I said I could get both online and she was like, "Nah - you just get to pick one here." Decided to forego the sets and will place an order later tonight.

That was my experience as well with the LEGO Store - their explanation was that they had limited inventory of the polys compared to S@H, so they had to limit it to an "either-or" situation. I managed to convince them to give me both polys on one visit, but decided to get my remaining orders through S@H to save the hassle.

Just finished up buying DUPLO fort daughter, and a discounted Vampyre Hearst for myself, at the Santa Clara store.

I checked on the coupon and the staff do indeed have the same list that was posted a few pages back. The Jedi Defender can use the coupon since it's not on the list.

ghostmind

Just finished up buying DUPLO fort daughter, and a discounted Vampyre Hearst for myself, at the Santa Clara store.

I checked on the coupon and the staff do indeed have the same list that was posted a few pages back. The Jedi Defender can use the coupon since it's not on the list.

From what I have heard, and I think it is already mentioned earlier in this thread, is that the price for those listed sets is locked in the register - the staff couldn't discount them even if they wanted, without getting in trouble.

Apparently also LEGO Store employee discounts are gone. Whether that means just the list, or all sets, I'm not sure.

With some more information, and time to digest it all, I now think the blame for this change should be squarely aimed at the resellers.

From what I have heard, and I think it is already mentioned earlier in this thread, is that the price for those listed sets is locked in the register - the staff couldn't discount them even if they wanted, without getting in trouble.

Apparently also LEGO Store employee discounts are gone. Whether that means just the list, or all sets, I'm not sure.

With some more information, and time to digest it all, I now think the blame for this change should be squarely aimed at the resellers.

Why are we blaming the reseller? Seems to me just another corporation getting greedy and counting bean instead of doing what is best for customers. With discount gone, I am far less likely to dabble into big expensive set. Only people I am blaming is LEGO.

Jimbro72

Why are we blaming the reseller? Seems to me just another corporation getting greedy and counting bean instead of doing what is best for customers. With discount gone, I am far less likely to dabble into big expensive set. Only people I am blaming is LEGO.

I would agree. Seems to me that part of the reason they became the #2 toy company was because of resellers buying up dozens and dozens of sets. You try to cut them completely out of the picture and I think gross revenue will surely fall for them, I would think.

ghostmind

The resellers abused the shit out of discounts, especially at retailers. As I mentioned some time ago, I watched as one reseller left TRU with a cart full of 10195's, leaving the shelves with zero of that set for anyone else. Go through some of the reseller threads on Brickset and you'll find a bunch of them who would stalk every single deal, and look for every single opportunity to stack coupons, get sale prices applied to non-sale sets, and have storage lockers dedicated to keeping their vast inventories until they could resell for a huge profit. The net effect of these resellers (some of whom stockpile hundred(s) of specific sets) is that sets go OOP all the faster.

Do I think LEGO is completely without blame here? Of course not - I am sure that this decision was motivated partially by greed. However I think there is a lot more to it than that, and the 800lb gorilla in the room that is the reseller market has a lot more to do with it.

flyingpig

Neo Member

10% off one set a couple of times a year is not a going to make or break resellers' margins. 90% of the time the sets will be cheaper from amazon/walmart/target around Christmas time anyway.

Employee discounts on the other hand, if true, would be squarely due to reseller abuse.

ghostmind

10% off one set a couple of times a year is not a going to make or break resellers' margins. 90% of the time the sets will be cheaper from amazon/walmart/target around Christmas time anyway.

Employee discounts on the other hand, if true, would be squarely due to reseller abuse.

I think the true test will be if the 10,000-series sets are discounted by retailers as we get closer to Christmas. Right now I'm not seeing much in the way of discounting, and in previous years we've had some pretty big discounts on these sets by this time of year.

Jimbro72

I don't know why LEGO couldn't track employee purchases in their system and limit them to no more than one of any single set during the year. That way employees who buy for their own collection still get the benefit but you cut out people abusing it by buying multiples of sets.

ghostmind

I don't know why LEGO couldn't track employee purchases in their system and limit them to no more than one of any single set during the year. That way employees who buy for their own collection still get the benefit but you cut out people abusing it by buying multiples of sets.

If it is true, I think that one result will be fewer store employees who are LEGO fans, as I am sure some of them were influenced to work there because of the discounts they received.

Jimbro72

If it is true, I think that one result will be fewer store employees who are LEGO fans, as I am sure some of them were influenced to work there because of the discounts they received.

Yep and if so, I would expect customer service to possibly decline as you no longer get employees who are fans of LEGO. Just sucks that if this decision is true and based on resellers, that a lot of innocent employees are now losing out on a big benefit they received.

flyingpig

Neo Member
I think the true test will be if the 10,000-series sets are discounted by retailers as we get closer to Christmas. Right now I'm not seeing much in the way of discounting, and in previous years we've had some pretty big discounts on these sets by this time of year.

It's just the beginning of September, retail stores just reset for the holiday selection. Sales won't start up till October/November in earnest. The B-Wing clearance was a pretty nice sale, amazon/target/etc all had it at $150 even after LEGO sold out.

Whimsical Phil

Ninja School will help you
I found the Series 11 minifigures at my local Toys R Us the other day. They had a limit of six figures, but I was able to grab a good lot:

Science Girl
Evil Mech (with the old school Blacktron symbol!)
Elf
Gingerbread Man
Tiki Warrior
Yeti

I also found a better accessory for the Gingerbread Man:

nur627p

Also, Phoney's busted train tracks are amazing. I can't wait to see that display finished.

bodine1231

The resellers abused the shit out of discounts, especially at retailers. As I mentioned some time ago, I watched as one reseller left TRU with a cart full of 10195's, leaving the shelves with zero of that set for anyone else. Go through some of the reseller threads on Brickset and you'll find a bunch of them who would stalk every single deal, and look for every single opportunity to stack coupons, get sale prices applied to non-sale sets, and have storage lockers dedicated to keeping their vast inventories until they could resell for a huge profit. The net effect of these resellers (some of whom stockpile hundred(s) of specific sets) is that sets go OOP all the faster.

Do I think LEGO is completely without blame here? Of course not - I am sure that this decision was motivated partially by greed. However I think there is a lot more to it than that, and the 800lb gorilla in the room that is the reseller market has a lot more to do with it.

I just don't understand why Lego doesn't do a voting type system (like Cuuso) for retired sets. Put 3 popular and expensive retired sets up for voting on S@H,the first to get to 25k votes gets re-released and you can only get them online,1 per customer. You can even do a pre order system so they are guaranteed the sales. It seems ridiculous that once a set is gone it's gone for good when there is obvious high demand for some of those,especially the modulars.

Top Bottom