• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO GAF |OT2|: Building Dreams. Demolishing Wallets

I just don't understand why Lego doesn't do a voting type system (like Cuuso) for retired sets. Put 3 popular and expensive retired sets up for voting on S@H,the first to get to 25k votes gets re-released and you can only get them online,1 per customer. You can even do a pre order system so they are guaranteed the sales. It seems ridiculous that once a set is gone it's gone for good when there is obvious high demand for some of those,especially the modulars.

I don't know, set sit around for a long time and it would be silly to constantly put stuff up for vote and reissue. I can just imagine the cost of start up production again on something that no longer in production.

I don't have any problem with their current method of retiring set. I think they give people pretty fair shake at getting them.

The resellers abused the shit out of discounts, especially at retailers. As I mentioned some time ago, I watched as one reseller left TRU with a cart full of 10195's, leaving the shelves with zero of that set for anyone else. Go through some of the reseller threads on Brickset and you'll find a bunch of them who would stalk every single deal, and look for every single opportunity to stack coupons, get sale prices applied to non-sale sets, and have storage lockers dedicated to keeping their vast inventories until they could resell for a huge profit. The net effect of these resellers (some of whom stockpile hundred(s) of specific sets) is that sets go OOP all the faster.

Do I think LEGO is completely without blame here? Of course not - I am sure that this decision was motivated partially by greed. However I think there is a lot more to it than that, and the 800lb gorilla in the room that is the reseller market has a lot more to do with it.

I can understand the reseller abusing the discount especially I can see it with LUG, fan groups and even with employee discount. That said, they could simply limit discount and I can understand them doing away with discount for groups because I can see where that can lead to massive abuse. As for reseller walking into LEGO store and buy up all the stock, LEGO could easily stop that by put in item limit for sale items, other retailers do it. Seems to me they just want to stop giving discount to high ticket item which is mostly the LEGO store exclusives larger set. (all the hard to find and limited edition).

The coupon will be of some use but it definitely discourage me to try out the bigger LEGO store only set since I can get most other set much cheaper even with VIP and coupon. Case in point, my local Fred is currently doing buy one get one 50% off, which on similar price items is 20-25% off.

Redberyl

Neo Member
Regarding the end of discounts I can't imagine that LEGO is doing this to benefit consumers or children. The Kirkbi family is doing very well money wise - they pulled out half a billion dollars into the family holding company this year (according to the LEGO's annual report), and the grandson of the founder of LEGO is currently estimated to be work $7.3 billion dollars.

bodine1231

If the other Creator sets are as cool as this little guy is, then thats another line I'll have to get into. Really fun,quick build and will always have a place on my desk. HIGHLY recommended!

wetwired

Little bit more work under the tracks. Got the small waterfall and lagoon done. One the rest of the blue plate is covered it will look better.

Nice, completely unrelated to what I'm doing but this gave me an idea how I can incorporate what I have of the stay puft marshmellow man (just the head so far) with my display without having to complete him full.

Nice, completely unrelated to what I'm doing but this gave me an idea how I can incorporate what I have of the stay puft marshmellow man (just the head so far) with my display without having to complete him full.

Just having the head come up from behind the building, with brick built proton beams hitting him in the face?

wetwired

Just having the head come up from behind the building, with brick built proton beams hitting him in the face?

Nah, your water around the base of the pillars of the railroad for some reason gave me the idea of a big crevasse opening up in the yard of the haunted house with his head and 2 hands popping out.

If the other Creator sets are as cool as this little guy is, then thats another line I'll have to get into. Really fun,quick build and will always have a place on my desk. HIGHLY recommended!

I wouldn't say all creator sets are as cool at that. Creators have a lot of good pieces for making you own stuff though. I have one and would get more if on a good clearance.

His little featheren is now out in the wild. I saw it at the LEGO store.

http://www.brickset.com/detail/?Set=30185-1
30185-1.jpg

Some photos I took when I got the set. Highly poseable eagle.

8412658960_c2dcbc2b72_m.jpg
8412670844_fd2e9b785f_m.jpg

Nah, your water around the base of the pillars of the railroad for some reason gave me the idea of a big crevasse opening up in the yard of the haunted house with his head and 2 hands popping out.
Nice. Can't wait to see it.

I need to finish the perimeter of the lagoon and then build a base for the other tower. Thinking of having the swamp creature carrying a woman into the lake with him.
Also trying to figure out where to put a tree or three into this whole thing without making it too busy.
After that is building the outer, crumbling wall and gate around the entire thing.

neonglow

Here's my pickups for the last week. I found the Temple of Light on clearance for $50 at Walmart. Everything else was picked up at the LEGO store. I made sure to pick up the exclusive Star Wars sets to get the free Clone Trooper. Also got the mini camper but my girlfriend took it.

My store also had the leaves on the PAB wall so I filled a small cup after getting inspiration from WetWired's tree. Just need to purchase the branches now.

ghostmind

Here's my pickups for the last week. I found the Temple of Light on clearance for $50 at Walmart. Everything else was picked up at the LEGO store. I made sure to pick up the exclusive Star Wars sets to get the free Clone Trooper. Also got the mini camper but my girlfriend took it.

My store also had the leaves on the PAB wall so I filled a small cup after getting inspiration from WetWired's tree. Just need to purchase the branches now.

Nice mix of sets there. I need to find myself that mini-eagle poly.

mojiimbo

Neat eagle. The only polybags I've seen for sale here are the seasonal ones like the summer/fall scene and the new jack o' lantern.

robjoh

Little bit more work under the tracks. Got the small waterfall and lagoon done. One the rest of the blue plate is covered it will look better.

Good work mate!

Creator is my main series, but I cannot say that all creator sets are as good as the eagle.

neonglow

If the other Creator sets are as cool as this little guy is, then thats another line I'll have to get into.

2 other Creator sets that would be worth getting are Power Mech and Thunder Wings. Both are modeled after Kreo sets where one build is a vehicle and the other is a mech. We all had fun earlier with Power Mech MOC contest.

31007_alt3.jpg

31008_alt1.jpg

Ah yeah the MOC contests. :] A reason why I follow this thread is so I don't miss the next one. It will be the Eagle set.

Can't wait for it :)

I don't have much money to spend on LEGO these days. On budget set I'd like to recommend is 31001. It has nice building techniques and pieces.

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
If you don't already have these CMFs, then I would say go for it.

I didn't realize these figures were from CMF series 2,3,4 until just now. I would have picked this up with my order I made last week. Damn it.

I didn't realize these figures were from CMF series 2,3,4 until just now. I would have picked this up with my order I made last week. Damn it.

They have other early CMF's in LEGO store and S@H exclusives as well. ($15 US)
Brick calendar with skateboard dude and cheerleader. Includes CMF accessories.

http://maail.brickset.com/detail/?Set=853195-1

Some of them are variations though. Same print, but different colors. i.e.

http://www.brickset.com/detail/?set=850791-1
http://www.brickset.com/detail/?set=850486-1
http://www.brickset.com/detail/?Set=850487-1

Zombie is different color, but witch is same. Ghost is not from CMF series, but I would love to see a new ghost using the genie "legs" and a white minifig head.

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
LEGO MARVEL PS3 Pre-Order card Wal-Mart found; they have cards for 360 and WiiU as well. No PS4 or One cards though.

QkmVyuNl.jpg

Wonder if I could pay the 5 bux for the card. Go pick up the Minifig and then not buy the game.....

bodine1231

LEGO MARVEL PS3 Pre-Order card Wal-Mart found; they have cards for 360 and WiiU as well. No PS4 or One cards though.

QkmVyuNl.jpg

I'll probably grab it for the PS4,but honestly I havent had fun with them in a long time. Even though the last Batman and Lego City were well made,the combat is very boring and lacking consequence.

QkmVyuNl.jpg

I was going to preorder for this, then the guy told me they'll get a box of them and everyone gets one when they buy the game until they run out. Having the card does not guarantee you one. It's only while supplies last.

ruxtpin

Banned
I wonder if you have a better chance of getting one by per-ordering online? They're as advertising the fig on the Wally World website.

I was going to preorder for this, then the guy told me they'll get a box of them and everyone gets one when they buy the game until they run out. Having the card does not guarantee you one. It's only while supplies last.

Whoa! Hold on a sec. I pre-ordered mine based on a guaranteed minifig. I hope that is not true. Is that US or Canada Walmart?

EDIT: Pre-ordered online a couple months ago.

Ponn

Banned
Whoa! Hold on a sec. I pre-ordered mine based on a guaranteed minifig. I hope that is not true. Is that US or Canada Walmart?

EDIT: Pre-ordered online a couple months ago.

Preordered online as well for shipping. Figured that was best way to get the fig.

Back wall completed. Now to start filling in the front.

BEFORE

AFTER

Cave entrance actually goes around to the kill room of the tower from Vampyre Castle.

Front plates still to do. Still gotta finish front of Vampyre Castle plate.

Crumbling wall behind everything. Ivy growing behind tombstones.

Completely lost track of time while building today. Still over a month to finish, which should not be a problem.

Back wall completed. Now to start filling in the front.

BEFORE

AFTER

Cave entrance actually goes around to the kill room of the tower from Vampyre Castle.

Front plates still to do. Still gotta finish front of Vampyre Castle plate.

Crumbling wall behind everything. Ivy growing behind tombstones.

Completely lost track of time while building today. Still over a month to finish, which should not be a problem.

Man, that is an amazing scene. Well done, Phon.

So this finally happened

null_zpsf91d4a74.jpg

Lego Death Star.

A while ago, the gf wanted to buy it for me but I couldn't let her do it. It was too much and I know she just didn't have the money for this to be a comfortable purchase. So I passed. Today my auction for my Skylanders collection sold for almost $500. In addition to $110 in VIP points...now was the time. I went in to buy series 11 mini figures and saw this. Son of a bitch I knew it was time. I would have spent the money on other things, so double VIP points in Oct be damned, this had to happen tonight.

That's no moon in my trunk, guys.

wow, phon your Halloween project is coming together really nice.

@infinitemadness It must be good to get out of Skylanders, I think this is a good time to unload, my local stores have wall and wall of the figures now (it used to be constantly empty). I think the market is saturated especially with Disney jumping in.

Enjoy your Death Star, I was thinking about getting it with the 10% coupon because I have a feeling that the set is going to be OOP sooner than later.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Any impressions of the new Mindstorm kit? I've never owned one, but I was thinking of picking this one up. Then again, I don't really know if I care about making LEGO robots that pick up balls....I could spend that on other sets instead...

So this finally happened

null_zpsf91d4a74.jpg

Lego Death Star.

A while ago, the gf wanted to buy it for me but I couldn't let her do it. It was too much and I know she just didn't have the money for this to be a comfortable purchase. So I passed. Today my auction for my Skylanders collection sold for almost $500. In addition to $110 in VIP points...now was the time. I went in to buy series 11 mini figures and saw this. Son of a bitch I knew it was time. I would have spent the money on other things, so double VIP points in Oct be damned, this had to happen tonight.

That's no moon in my trunk, guys.

kKCuzzE.gif

Best Star strikes again. Can't wait to read your impressions.

Top Bottom