• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO GAF |OT2|: Building Dreams. Demolishing Wallets

Fingers crossed for something like link, epona, and a large brick-built monster. That doesn't seem too unrealistic. My dream project for either lego zelda or a lego castle series inspired on it would be a modular dungeon thing, a series of like 6 sets of individual dungeon rooms building upon each other.

Rootbeer

Banned
western module town would be a lot of sets, i don't think many would invest in it. i predict they want to try and maximize return like they were able to with the Minecraft set that was clearly very popular. While it marries very well with the upcoming Lone Ranger sets, would also be somewhat competing with it which is another reason I don't believe they will chose it. So... going with the Back to the Future set because it has a lot of appeal outside the LEGO fanbase.

The Zelda set just looks bland to me, it's not something that translates to LEGO very well at all.

I guess they could go with the ship...

Will be interesting in any case.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Cool, thanks!

There should be some kind of clear-coat that could be applied that would also not degrade or discolour the bricks.

I tend to put all the stickers on my sets, but in some cases I will leave some of them off if they don't look necessary (or in some cases I think they look better without them). Most folks that are heavily into MOC'ing never apply the stickers, as it limits the usefulness of that element.

I always do appreciate a kit that manages to pull of its look without any stickers at all. There have been a few where I get to the last instruction, only to realize that I've never had to apply any stickers, and my apprecation for that specific set immediately gets a bump.

I'd like a website where I can order custom water decals of lego stickers. Properly applied and lacquered, decals would be way better than nasty stickers, and much closer to a printed brick I guess you could scan the sticker sheet in when you get it, and print onto decal sheeting yourself.

Toppot

What is this Cuusoo? And how are those sets chosen?

Sooner or later I should get to the point where I have no more questions. :lol

http://lego.cuusoo.com/

Handy little video explaining it

Official Lego site where people can submit ideas/designs for Lego sets. If a project reaches 10,000 votes Lego consider it for a real product and have one of their designs build the idea (assuming they can make it within price and get the licence if needed for sets based off another companies intellectual property). At 5,000 votes Lego begin prep work seeing how viable a project might be to do ie how willing a licence holder is to work with them.

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
What is this Cuusoo? And how are those sets chosen?

Sooner or later I should get to the point where I have no more questions. :lol

People...like you and me upload ideas for sets for Lego to adopt. It is how the Minecraft set came to be if I recall correctly. Once a set gains 10,000 votes it goes into review by LEGO and they work out wither they can produce the set or not.

....and Toppot Beat me.

Pezking

It is out early there?! EGADS! I wants it so bad.

Yeah. The german Lego online store first listed it for a release on January 1st, but changed the date a couple of days ago to December 18th. And yesterday evening, they already put it on the shelves at the nearby Lego Store.

I didn't notice it at first, because they didn't put it next to the other Superheroes sets, but right next to the modulars.

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
I was just looking at cuusoo and I couldn't find that amazing sand crawler that was on there. Anyone have any idea what happen to it?

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
CUUSOO started as a test in Japan, and the first two accepted projects only needed 1000 votes. Minecraft is the first and only realized worldwide project so far, requiring 10000 votes to become a reality.

Three projects which made it to 10000 votes were rejected:
* Shaun of the Dead Winchester building - Property is too violent for kids.
* Firefly Serenity ship - Property has too much sexual content for kids.
* Star Wars Dark Bucket - Star Wars license prohibits a collection of just minifigures. That would fall under action figure instead of construction toy, and the Star Wars Action Figure license lies elsewhere.

http://lego.wikia.com/wiki/CUUSOO

CUUSOO started as a test in Japan, and the first two accepted projects only needed 1000 votes. Minecraft is the first and only realized worldwide project so far, requiring 10000 votes to become a reality.

* Star Wars Dark Bucket - Star Wars license prohibits a collection of just minifigures. That would fall under action figure instead of construction toy, and the Star Wars Action Figure license lies elsewhere.

say whaaaat? Couldn't they just chose to NOT construct/display that content then and focus on the rest?

Damn, imagine just HOW awesome this could have been :(

I want my Jayne minifig!!!

Ironmask

new mini creator sets 2013, so lovely :)

share the love, share the love...
61CbSC-fP3L._AA1500_.jpg

61MnsVsgvAL._AA1500_.jpg

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
say whaaaat? Couldn't they just chose to NOT construct/display that content then and focus on the rest?

Damn, imagine just HOW awesome this could have been :(

I want my Jayne minifig!!!

The CUUSOO project didn't have sexual content, the Firefly Serenity IP does. LEGO does not want a set to be associated with a Mature property.

What set is this and where did you see it?

JDDZK.jpg

That one. In a local toy shop in Sweden. I'm gonna take my chances with the actual Lego shop on Sunday or so instead. They might be sold out, but I doubt it's that expensive. Then again it's a pretty pricy item elsewhere too.

They also had a slight sale on at least one of the fire station modulars (damaged box maybe), but it's still crazy expensive.

^^ still not sure what i am supposed to be seeing there?

Do you mean the regular "Unexpected Gathering" set or that actual huge thing that you want to buy?

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
western module town would be a lot of sets, i don't think many would invest in it. i predict they want to try and maximize return like they were able to with the Minecraft set that was clearly very popular. While it marries very well with the upcoming Lone Ranger sets, would also be somewhat competing with it which is another reason I don't believe they will chose it.

Don't see why it couldn't be one special set like the Haunted House to the Monster Fighter sets.

wetwired

JDDZK.jpg

That one. In a local toy shop in Sweden. I'm gonna take my chances with the actual Lego shop on Sunday or so instead. They might be sold out, but I doubt it's that expensive. Then again it's a pretty pricy item elsewhere too.

They also had a slight sale on at least one of the fire station modulars (damaged box maybe), but it's still crazy expensive.
Oh snap

I though that was a normal sized set on a table but now I see it's actually a massive version of it and those are people standing next to it.

Handy little video explaining it

Official Lego site where people can submit ideas/designs for Lego sets. If a project reaches 10,000 votes Lego consider it for a real product and have one of their designs build the idea (assuming they can make it within price and get the licence if needed for sets based off another companies intellectual property). At 5,000 votes Lego begin prep work seeing how viable a project might be to do ie how willing a licence holder is to work with them.

People...like you and me upload ideas for sets for Lego to adopt. It is how the Minecraft set came to be if I recall correctly. Once a set gains 10,000 votes it goes into review by LEGO and they work out wither they can produce the set or not.

....and Toppot Beat me.

Thanks for the answers guys! That's awesome.

Now knowing this, I am hoping for Back to the Future set.

^^ still not sure what i am supposed to be seeing there?

Do you mean the regular "Unexpected Gathering" set or that actual huge thing that you want to buy?

The Unexpected Gathering set, of course. That was just a handy picture of (a huge version of) it.

Would totally buy the lifesize version for $130 :D

Cyrillus

the other turtle sets I ordered arrived today so now I have all 4 turtles and they are awesome! shredder is also pretty sweet:
Man, I wasn't interested in the Ninja Turtle sets at all before this picture, but now I need this. What's the cheapest I can do to get the 4 turtles + Shredder?

My girlfriend loves the lone ranger sets. We'll be buying them together. When I hinted at buying the death star, she shed actual tears, not of sadness or horror, but because she likes the lone ranger and various medieval themes so much better. The thought of NOT buying the ones she likes better hurt so badly. We've decided we're entering the various student writing contests at our college and if we win any, the money is lego money. Honestly, if I won one I'd be mighty tempted to buy them star wars legos regardless of her opinion. Or maybe helm's deep....

Also when I mentioned that maybe I should just give up on the lotr and hobbit sets and bricklink the fellowship and dwarves, she said something about how that didn't sound like very much fun... This enabler might be bad for me.

EDIT: That summer castle theme is guaranteed? or just a rumor? If it exists and is anywhere near as good as the last wave of castle sets before LOTR was, then our dollars are most definitely forfeit.....

icespide

Banned
Man, I wasn't interested in the Ninja Turtle sets at all before this picture, but now I need this. What's the cheapest I can do to get the 4 turtles + Shredder?

the've structured it so it's pretty tough to get all the turtles for cheap. I went with:

• The Shellraiser Street Chase (79104) $59.99 gives you mikey and leo
  • Stealth Shell in Pursuit 79102 $19.99 which gives you raphael
  • Shredder Dragon Bike 79101 $24.99 which gives you donatello and shredder (so far this is the only set I can find with shredder)

another option would be to get the Turtle Lair Attack 79103 for $50 I think instead of the street chase to net leo and raph and then go with the cheaper Kraang Lab Escape 79100 to get mikey

edit: it's also worth noting that the different sets have the same turtles with different face prints. I like the mikey with the tongue sticking out which comes with the shellraiser vs. he other mikey face for example

Grocery store had the mini Xwing/Yavin set for half price for no reason. Score! Sadly, the Cloud Car mini set was only 10% off, so I didn't get that one.

ghostmind

My girlfriend loves the lone ranger sets. We'll be buying them together. When I hinted at buying the death star, she shed actual tears, not of sadness or horror, but because she likes the lone ranger and various medieval themes so much better. The thought of NOT buying the ones she likes better hurt so badly. We've decided we're entering the various student writing contests at our college and if we win any, the money is lego money. Honestly, if I won one I'd be mighty tempted to buy them star wars legos regardless of her opinion. Or maybe helm's deep....

Also when I mentioned that maybe I should just give up on the lotr and hobbit sets and bricklink the fellowship and dwarves, she said something about how that didn't sound like very much fun... This enabler might be bad for me.

EDIT: That summer castle theme is guaranteed? or just a rumor? If it exists and is anywhere near as good as the last wave of castle sets before LOTR was, then our dollars are most definitely forfeit.....

Summer castle theme is as guaranteed as a prerelease ever is. We should see confirmation at NY Toy Fair.

And your GF is awesome.

wetwired

I went for

• Krang Lab Escape USD$12.99
    Michaelangelo, Krang Brain, Foot Soldier
  • Shredder's Dragon Bike USD$24.99
    Shredder, Donatello, Foot Soldier
  • Turtle Lair Attack USD$49.99
    Leonardo, Raphael, Splinter, Foot Soldier, Foot Ninja

Total = USD $87.97

ghostmind

the've structured it so it's pretty tough to get all the turtles for cheap. I went with:

• The Shellraiser Street Chase (79104) $59.99 gives you mikey and leo
  • Stealth Shell in Pursuit 79102 $19.99 which gives you raphael
  • Shredder Dragon Bike 79101 $24.99 which gives you donatello and shredder (so far this is the only set I can find with shredder)

another option would be to get the Turtle Lair Attack 79103 for $50 I think instead of the street chase to net leo and raph and then go with the cheaper Kraang Lab Escape 79100 to get mikey

edit: it's also worth noting that the different sets have the same turtles with different face prints. I like the mikey with the tongue sticking out which comes with the shellraiser vs. he other mikey face for example

Turtle Lair Attack is the superior set to Shellraiser (which isn't bad either) - so many features for $50!

http://youtu.be/R3EyDeXEFTc

icespide

Banned
turtle lair is pretty cool. I really wanted that mikey face with the tongue sticking out so I went for shellraiser, I even jumped the gun and got it at toys r us for $80 ugh =(

Summer castle theme is as guaranteed as a prerelease ever is. We should see confirmation at NY Toy Fair.

And your GF is awesome.

The lego thing is entirely her fault. I mentioned legos offhand one time because of this thread, and then one day a bricks n more box shows up, then i spend the day browsing lego.com learning about current themes, then we buy scorpion pyramid, then I open a lego vip account and buy the joker funhouse and some series 7 minifigs then the next thing I know I'm signing a contract in blood promising my firstborn child to the lego company in return for a mountain of legos.

First round of Christmas money came in. $50 visa gift card. My fund for getting myself an SSD ASAP as begun.

Also, thought many on here would like this story:
I work at a job that gets occasional LEGO sets, and for the holiday season we got in a box of series 8 figures that have been pretty popular. Last night at work there was a kid that was probably 6 or 7 at the box of mini figs doing the good ole bag feeling.
I walked up and asked which figure he was looking for. He held up the checklist from the figures and had all but the Robot checked off and said that is all he wants. I helped him go through bags and felt for the "Robot with bucket head" as he called it. I felt like I got it, but then felt for other specific parts to make sure I got it. I then handed him the bag and told him which part I was feeling (first the helmet. Then the gun. Then the laser beam part) so that he knew I found it. He was so excited as he ran down to the register to pay and was leaving the store tearing open the bag to see his Robot with Bucket Head figure.

Felt good to make the little guy happy.

I went for

• Krang Lab Escape USD$12.99
    Michaelangelo, Krang Brain, Foot Soldier
  • Shredder's Dragon Bike USD$24.99
    Shredder, Donatello, Foot Soldier
  • Turtle Lair Attack USD$49.99
    Leonardo, Raphael, Splinter, Foot Soldier, Foot Ninja

Total = USD $87.97

Where did you get them from mate?

I haven't got them yet but I've preordered from Barnes and Noble online, they're in USD RPP and the shipping is reasonable to AU. Shipping ETA is late Jan\Feb I think though so I have to wait.

Awesome. Might have to check it out.

Actually does anyone have a link? I can't seem to find any of the new sets on the site.

Haha, thanks! Still have yet to finish it sadly. Left off in the middle of Ground Zero, I need to pick up the rest soon.

Ground Zero was okay. Fatal Error was pretty dumb though. Shades of Die Hard 4 silliness in it. Dark at the End was an improvement, and Nightworld was awesome just for the atmosphere of despair in it.

You did read The Keep, right? If not, read that before going further. It is vital to get the most out of the Repairman Jack series.

Ground Zero was okay. Fatal Error was pretty dumb though. Shades of Die Hard 4 silliness in it. Dark at the End was an improvement, and Nightworld was awesome just for the atmosphere of despair in it.

You did read The Keep, right? If not, read that before going further. It is vital to get the most out of the Repairman Jack series.

Yeah, I've read just about everything F. Paul Wilson has written besides Black Wind and his sci-fi series, both of which I own I just haven't gotten to.

I actually wasn't a huge fan of The Keep but I loved the rest of the Adversary Cycle. Especially the combo of Reborn, Reprisal and Night World. I'm looking forward to the edited version.

Also, thought many on here would like this story:
I work at a job that gets occasional LEGO sets, and for the holiday season we got in a box of series 8 figures that have been pretty popular. Last night at work there was a kid that was probably 6 or 7 at the box of mini figs doing the good ole bag feeling.
I walked up and asked which figure he was looking for. He held up the checklist from the figures and had all but the Robot checked off and said that is all he wants. I helped him go through bags and felt for the "Robot with bucket head" as he called it. I felt like I got it, but then felt for other specific parts to make sure I got it. I then handed him the bag and told him which part I was feeling (first the helmet. Then the gun. Then the laser beam part) so that he knew I found it. He was so excited as he ran down to the register to pay and was leaving the store tearing open the bag to see his Robot with Bucket Head figure.

Felt good to make the little guy happy.
Daaawww! Nice to hear a feel-good story like this after all the recent bad news in the world. Thanks for sharing, PB.

Top Bottom