• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO GAF |OT2|: Building Dreams. Demolishing Wallets

ruxtpin

Banned
Just want to point out that the Star Wars SSD is still on sale at Walmart for 309.99.

On that note, I just got my SSD from Target during their mistake sale. For some odd reason the thing came in a massive box. No joke, I could have curled up in and I'm a good 5 feet 11 inches. Was the SSD and a ton of those little air bags for packing.

Edit: Does anyone know if TRU will price-match and then add on the discount from a sale they're running?

They can all fit in Bag End.

Bofur going to stab bonbur

I was looking to get Bag End and maybe get the rest of the minifigs off bricklink. Why are they so damned expensive?! Any rumours of Hobbit magnets?

Also FliXFantatier, I officially balme you and your MOC contests threads for my wallet being empty.

ghostmind

JDDZK.jpg

Milamber

Got this in today

ApxU7.jpg

This may be futile but, Chuck and by extension Kalamoj, since both of you guys are on the inside, do you guys have some sorta semi secret advice to us poor struggling amateur AFOL's that is not readily available on the internet?

[IG]http://i.imgur.com/ApxU7.jpg[/IMG]

This may be futile but, Chuck and by extension Kalamoj, since both of you guys are on the inside, do you guys have some sorta semi secret advice to us poor struggling amateur AFOL's that is not readily available on the internet?

In the immortal words Ken Kutaragi, "Get a second job".

Finished Batwing Battle Over Gotham. Fun little set. Nice mini figs, especially Joker's gun. Nothing amazing build wise in it, but plenty of pieces I have never seen in anything else.

This will quickly get integrated into my parts supply though.

D

Diggeh

Unconfirmed Member

ghostmind

From LEGO itself:

Calling all Ninjago fans!

Gather round! Beckon all of your friends to gather round, too! We have important and exciting news! Not just any news. Not news about the weather or cats stuck up trees or the price of milk! No, this is news about Ninjago!

“But, what news? What news could be so important? Isn’t Ninjago being discontinued in 2013?!”, we hear you exclaim! Ah yes, young ninja, we sense you are eager to learn more and so shall the news be revealed…

Because our message boards fans are so awesome and because we know you love Ninjago more than anyone else in the entire world, nay universe, we are giving you guys this information first and exclusively! Check the internet; see if anyone else is mentioning this! They won’t be right now because you’re hearing this from us first and you’re the first to know!

Jammers on: Ninjago fans only!

Jammers
Ninjago will continue into 2014!

Jammers off: Yayyy!!!!

Feel free to post your responses to the announcement in this topic!

The LEGO.com Community Team

iuuk

I don't really think the A-wing is overpriced considering there are many big pieces, three very wanted minifigs and just a great build as a whole. Having said that; I just finished building my A-wing, and someone really needs to tell LEGO that no set this small should ever have this ungodly amount of stickers. I don't like stickers, but I get the need for it from time to time. This is ridiculous, even the pilots monitor is a sticker.

As a relative Lego noob, i wonder... why is it exactly that stickers are universally hated by Lego hardcore fans around the world it seems?

Is it simply because they don't look as good as printed pieces or are there other reasons?

iuuk

As a relative Lego noob, i wonder... why is it exactly that stickers are universally hated by Lego hardcore fans around the world it seems?

Is it simply because they don't look as good as printed pieces or are there other reasons?
In my case it's because they are extremely difficult to put on right, and even if you manage that some stickers just don't fit right. The A-wing had two stickers for the window, and they're too short.
You also don't get any replacements in the box, so one mistake and you're left with a half finished set.

They just feel out of place to me. A kind of finality to a build that I don't expect on Lego sets. (Like gluing together jigsaw puzzles).

iuuk

I do apply stickers, because I think sets look incomplete without them. That's mostly why I hate too many stickers, I have to apply them and have to do it right.
They look fine to me if they're on right, by the way, but some (like the A-wings window) are just horrible.

I do apply stickers, because I think sets look incomplete without them. That's mostly why I hate too many stickers, I have to apply them and have to do it right.
They look fine to me if they're on right, by the way, but some (like the A-wings window) are just horrible.

Then a few years later the stickers come off and you're fucked? (or the set is at least lol)

rataven

Well shit...

In that case, do most of you aficionados not even apply the stickers at all then to your sets? What is par for the course here for those of you that want to actually display their sets?

I almost always apply the stickers. Don't usually have a problem getting them on neatly, and often they help to complete the feeling of the set.

iuuk

Then a few years later the stickers come off and you're fucked? (or the set is at least lol)
That really depends on the set, stickers and how you store it. I've still got Fort Legoredo and other western sets and even though I had half removed one of those stickers years back, they still look fine (mostly the ones I didn't remove, of course). The set shown here is very curved, so I guess that doesn't help. Most of the time stickers are on relatively smooth surfaces, one more reason to hate the window, I guess.

I almost always apply the stickers. Don't usually have a problem getting them on neatly, and often they help to complete the feeling of the set.
The problem I've got with putting them on neatly is not with one sticker, but putting two on symmetrical. I can't stand it if one is even a tenth of a milimeter off. Eventually I'll make them fit, but it's more effort than I would want it to be.

Ok got it, so smooth surfaces are better for the stickers adherence, makes sense...

That A-Wing set really is a bitch then with 15 stickers AND curved surfaces :( Too bad, i really wanted to grab that one, but i wonder how it would look without any stickers applied at all. Naked, probably.

ghostmind

After a few years...

DwSGX.jpg

What kit is that, as I see HP and Reuters stickers?

I am much more partial to sets with transparent-back stickers. First they look better and avoid the issue of the sticker color being slightly off from the brick color, and second in my experience they age better.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

They make a piece very specific, so it's difficult to reuse in your own models later on (although the same can be said if its printed). Avoiding too much specificity is good generally.

They are dry bad if they are STAMPS (STicker Across Multiple PieceS) because that makes dismantling difficult

Also after a long time they can go brittle and flake off - I had that with an expensive technic set from maybe 5-6 years ago. Not that long really. And lego don't keep reprints around much either so you're stuck

ghostmind

Cool, thanks!

There should be some kind of clear-coat that could be applied that would also not degrade or discolour the bricks.

I tend to put all the stickers on my sets, but in some cases I will leave some of them off if they don't look necessary (or in some cases I think they look better without them). Most folks that are heavily into MOC'ing never apply the stickers, as it limits the usefulness of that element.

I always do appreciate a kit that manages to pull of its look without any stickers at all. There have been a few where I get to the last instruction, only to realize that I've never had to apply any stickers, and my apprecation for that specific set immediately gets a bump.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
cuusoo-review-announcement.png.scaled500.png

If I had to take a guess:

• Modular Western Town - Accepted, but only one building will be made.
  • Back to the Future - DeLorean - A small, affordable build. License will be the main issue. My gut says it'll pass.
  • The Legend of Zelda - I'd love this to be true, but too many new parts required. Unless Nintendo really, really wants to expand their LEGO partnership (they're publishing the LEGO City Wii U game), I don't see it happening.
  • EVE Online Rifter - License doesn't seem much of an issue to me. I'll bet LEGO will make something much smaller and better looking though (the CUUSOO model is quite kuso*).

kuso is Japanese for crap.

Deefuzz

ghostmind

cuusoo-review-announcement.png.scaled500.png

If I had to take a guess:

• Modular Western Town - Accepted, but only one building will be made.
  • Back to the Future - DeLorean - A small, affordable build. License will be the main issue. My gut says it'll pass.
  • The Legend of Zelda - I'd love this to be true, but too many new parts required. Unless Nintendo really, really wants to expand their LEGO partnership (they're publishing the LEGO City Wii U game), I don't see it happening.
  • EVE Online Rifter - License doesn't seem much of an issue to me. I'll bet LEGO will make something much smaller and better looking though (the CUUSOO model is quite kuso*).

kuso is Japanese for crap.

FINALLY!

(crossing fingers for Modular Western Town - even a nice building (saloon plz) to supplement the Lone Ranger theme would be great)

Fantomex

So since Toys R Us is now open from 6 a.m. to 1 a.m. I decided to stop by before work. I was able to find the Lego Bat vs Bane set and Spider Cycle chase set. I got these even though my son has a good amount of stuff for Christmas already. I figure were gonna need to do something during the Christmas break.

The markups were not TOO bad. Spider Cycle set was $22.99 and The Bat was $44.99. So i paid $7 dollars extra.

RichardAM

Kwanzaagator
If the Modular Western Town is rejected then it basically means that Cuusoo has been a waste of everyone's time.

It's not based on an impossible license, it's an original idea and it's something the Lego community have genuinely voted for because they'd like to see it. If it's rejected because of competition from the Lone Ranger theme I think that only shows just how much the cuusoo idea/project/site really matters to TLG.

Really hope it passes though- it's definitely the best thing that's been on there I think.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Funny thing is that now we know about Lego and Nintendo's relationship the Zelda project is more likely but I still doubt it. Unless they decide to design a small minilandesque build of Link.

Top Bottom