• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO GAF |OT2|: Building Dreams. Demolishing Wallets

Built my A-wing last night. Holy frak, so many stickers. The finished model looks great, but the number of stickers places it dead last behind 2013's Y-wing, X-wing and Tie Fighter.

Hopefully we'll see new minifig scale B-wings & Tie Bomber/Interceptor/Advance in 2013/14's LEGO Star Wars releases.

I'll post some photos tonight.

I'm pretty sure that between me, my wife and my daughter we are getting something like 10-12 sets for Christmas.

...of course there's also gift cards. We'll bump that up to a respectable number.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I'm just getting Fire Brigade, but on the flip side my parents have said they'd pay for the full thing rather than 50%.

ghostmind

My parents are getting me a new vaccuum cleaner for Christmas, because I am too focused on buying LEGO sets to buy myself a new vaccuum cleaner. Priorities.

My parents are getting me a new vaccuum cleaner for Christmas, because I am too focused on buying LEGO sets to buy myself a new vaccuum cleaner. Priorities.

Are they getting you a Dyson? If not, ask for one. Those things are insane. It sounds funny, but you feel like a man using those things because of the raw power in it.
My wife and I bought one with our wedding money years ago and it is worth every penny.

Are they getting you a Dyson? If not, ask for one. Those things are insane. It sounds funny, but you feel like a man using those things because of the raw power in it.
My wife and I bought one with our wedding money years ago and it is worth every penny.

Not trying to switch this into SweeperGaf instead of LegoGaf, but we have a Dyson and recently bought a Roomba. The Roomba seems to sweep up more hair and dirt / dust than the Dyson. Plus you just set the Roomba down and walk away.

Ok, back to Lego......

ghostmind

I had a Dyson years ago, but the volume of pet hair broke it (back when I had a dog), so I ended up buying a $1,000+ German vaccuum that was a beast. These days something like that is overkill for me, so they'll probably get me a Dyson or something similar. Hopefully something with a canister rather than a bag for those times when I accidentaly vaccuum up LEGO pieces.

Not trying to switch this into SweeperGaf instead of LegoGaf, but we have a Dyson and recently bought a Roomba. The Roomba seems to sweep up more hair and dirt / dust than the Dyson. Plus you just set the Roomba down and walk away.

Ok, back to Lego......

We have one of the big beast Dysons, and the first time I used it I was horrified by how much dirt and hair it picked up off the floor compared to our previous vacuum.

Roomba's are neat though, but I have never used one.

Oh, yeah...LEGO!

The wife & I bought the Dyson DC 17 with gift cards we received from our wedding back in '07. That thing is a beast, it will suck the brown off of a turd.

I nerver understood the overprice ways of Amazon-Canada. they are not even hiding it, Amazon-Canada is even more expensive than MSRPs, it's like a troll site or something, like they punish you and charge you more for having typed .ca instead of .com

/me jelly

I rarely buy from Amazon-Canada. Their selection is terrible, and most things are, like you said, overly expensive.

Buying from Amazon.com is a far better deal, since the USD and CND are pretty close to parity. Even when I have to pay shipping, it still comes out to less.

Also, I'm not sure why I read this thread, the last LEGO thing I bought was a custom MOC from Wetwired here on GAF, but before that I think the last set I received was when I was 15 or 16 (TIE Crawler set, a TIE fighter with tank treads - loved it).

Maybe I'm just living vicariously through you guys, I wish I could justify spending some of my income on LEGO, instead of saving for school.

I rarely buy from Amazon-Canada. Their selection is terrible, and most things are, like you said, overly expensive.

Buying from Amazon.com is a far better deal, since the USD and CND are pretty close to parity. Even when I have to pay shipping, it still comes out to less.

Also, I'm not sure why I read this thread, the last LEGO thing I bought was a custom MOC from Wetwired here on GAF, but before that I think the last set I received was when I was 15 or 16 (TIE Crawler set, a TIE fighter with tank treads - loved it).

Maybe I'm just living vicariously through you guys, I wish I could justify spending some of my income on LEGO, instead of saving for school.

Just get little sets here and there to scratch the itch. :)

Rootbeer

Banned
Target has the LEGO Star Wars Planet sets on clearance. Well, at least some of them. Not sure about all, but I did get 1 from series 1 and 1 from series 2, each for 6.95 in-store. Now I own them all! Bring on series 3.

I saw some of the smaller Hobbit sets on shelves, no series 9 minifigs and none of the 2013 stuff yet.

We've passed 2000 posts! Wooo!

Alright so i literally JUST finished my first Lego build in ages (since i was a kid basically) and since i've been getting back into it thanks to this thread lol: (sorry for the huge pic)

Behold:

Landsliderfront_zps4285c049.jpg

Pretty quick and fast build actually, loved those bending pipes and the rear "engines" which look great for such simple pieces.

Also: That SandTrooper just looks SO sexy, it kinda makes the set for me, best looking Stormtrooper imo :)

$500 + 5%GST + whatever the provincial tax is in your area

It's crazy.
I think it would be 13% tax on top of the $500 in Ontario (it's changed a couple of times in the past few years and I keep forgetting what it is now). So the total bill would be something like $565. It really sucks.

Fire Brigade is the last set I bought... And it's been 3-4 months.

Self-restraint is possible!

Oh ya I know, I got bit by the bug earlier this year after reading this thread a lot. Spent nearly 600 on Lego and have stayed strong for almost 6 months. They keep pulling me back...

mrklaw

MrArseFace
This is what I'm having trouble with. I've got a bunch of the LotR and SW sets that I want to break down to make room for others, but I'm not quite sure how I should store.

If you have a storage solution already, then just break down into that.

If not, and you only have a handful of sets, you could break each be down into a large ziplock bag and store in a tub or the original box.

(Or just break them down to a twitch a lid you can put on, and forget about em until you can't put it off any more. I probably have 2x 9 litre tubs full to the brim and really need to sort them out)

ruxtpin

Banned
Calm, why did you have to tell me about that? Now I've gotta' go and do a little 'browsing' and by 'browsing' I mean buying.

This is what I'm having trouble with. I've got a bunch of the LotR and SW sets that I want to break down to make room for others, but I'm not quite sure how I should store.

I have to break down sets due to space constraints in my room. I have Ziploc bags of various sizes that I use to sort the pieces into and I then put those back in the original box. I put those boxes in bubble wrap and place them in my storage area in my apartment.

Calm, why did you have to tell me about that? Now I've gotta' go and do a little 'browsing' and by 'browsing' I mean buying.

Oh, I am heading out soon to see if TRU got series 9 in. They didn't yesterday, but I hope they do today.

I also need to buy another Sortmaster or two and redistribute stuff. I am disassembling a bunch of sets and putting them into the stockpile and many containers are full.

That should also be a sign I need to do another MOC. I plan on one, but want to disassemble first so I have the largest pool of pieces. Debating between another modular building or making a pirate ship MOC. Maybe finally make that Steampunk Airship idea I have had in my head.

Damn it Target, I need to wait till after Christmas before I can buy the Death Star just in case someone gets it for me. Between 20% + 5% plus a lot of gift cards, it's very hard not to buy it right now....

Damn it Target, I need to wait till after Christmas before I can buy the Death Star just in case someone gets it for me. Between 20% + 5% plus a lot of gift cards, it's very hard not to buy it right now....

Just buy it and hide it. Then if someone gets it for you, quietly go and return it.

So I'm thinking of building a few MOC buildings/sets for my figures. What's a good way to do it? I'll be getting my old Lego back, but I doubt I have all the pieces I'll need. Is there a good program to build the set in 3D and then export an item list to Bricklink or something to buy all the parts?

I really should get a modular to learn some fancy new ways of building, but that will depend on my cash after Christmas.

So I'm thinking of building a few MOC buildings/sets for my figures. What's a good way to do it? I'll be getting my old Lego back, but I doubt I have all the pieces I'll need. Is there a good program to build the set in 3D and then export an item list to Bricklink or something to buy all the parts?

I really should get a modular to learn some fancy new ways of building, but that will depend on my cash after Christmas.
Lego Digital Designer is a good program. I personally prefer to just grab a baseplate and start building. Easier to judge stability, etc.

And modulars are great for learning new techniques. If you don't spring for that, try some Creator houses. Apple Tree House is a particularly good one.

neonglow

Does Target take back items that aren't sold in stores? I know they do for normal items. Hrm, I also just noticed that the Death Star isn't 20% off, what gives? It's only 10%.

Yes they do. Sometimes, they'll put those items on the shelf. If you're ever in the clearance aisles, they have stuff labelled something like "Online Item - Sold As Is".

Alright so i literally JUST finished my first Lego build in ages (since i was a kid basically) and since i've been getting back into it thanks to this thread lol: (sorry for the huge pic)

Behold:

Landsliderfront_zps4285c049.jpg

Pretty quick and fast build actually, loved those bending pipes and the rear "engines" which look great for such simple pieces.

Also: That SandTrooper just looks SO sexy, it kinda makes the set for me, best looking Stormtrooper imo :)

that's an awesome set, I want to buy it for myself, but I think it's getting more difficult to find it these days, I went to a local shop the other day looking for it and they didn't have it, ended up buying the Dessert Skiff instead, what year is that set from, it maybe going OOP

that's an awesome set, I want to buy it for myself, but I think it's getting more difficult to find it these days, I went to a local shop the other day looking for it and they didn't have it, ended up buying the Dessert Skiff instead, what year is that set from, it maybe going OOP

Unsure... maybe 2010 or 2011? Surprisingly i had no difficulty finding it new on amazon.co.uk but yeah apparently it is sold out according to the official Lego Store shop.

OOP though? not sure...

but hey, with Desert Skiff at LEAST you get freakin Lando!!! I'd love to get one, but only his other outfit which is in no current set i could afford i guess :(

Phew. Managed to escape tru without buying a bunch of Galaxy Squad. I must stick to saving for SSD.

Funny enough, the main Lego aisle had the Galaxy Squad stuff stickered at msrp, but the display at the front of the store had the insane markup prices. One aisle had a set at $75, while the other had the same set at $60.

Draxal

It's kind of a duplicate theme (as you'll be getting additional Droids), but the droid escape pod from 2012 has the upgraded sand troopers with all the sand detailing, they are amazing minifigures.

It's kind of a duplicate theme (as you'll be getting additional Droids), but the droid escape pod from 2012 has the upgraded sand troopers with all the sand detailing, they are amazing minifigures.

Just looked em up, they DO look amazing indeed!!! I believe those are supposed to be "Squad Leaders" though and feature orange side capes as well...

neonglow

Wow. Standing in tru looking for series 9 figures and they have Galaxy Squad stuff for msrp. Insane!

Tmnt stuff is insanely marked up though.

There's a deal online for the Galaxy Squad toys at TRU. Everything is MSRP and you get $25 off if you spent over $100. I guess GS toys aren't moving for them to discount already?!?!

Unsure... maybe 2010 or 2011? Surprisingly i had no difficulty finding it new on amazon.co.uk but yeah apparently it is sold out according to the official Lego Store shop.

OOP though? not sure...

but hey, with Desert Skiff at LEAST you get freakin Lando!!! I'd love to get one, but only his other outfit which is in no current set i could afford i guess :(

Gonna keep looking, I really want that set, Desert Skiff is cool too, it's a nice short build with 2 Ok'ish minifigures and 2 awesome minifigures (Boba Fett and Lando).

Oh, and don't worry, "Best Lando" is coming soon, and funkier than ever :D

There's a deal online for the Galaxy Squad toys at TRU. Everything is MSRP and you get $25 off if you spent over $100. I guess GS toys aren't moving for them to discount already?!?!

Pretty sure that's a general LEGO promotion at TRU, spend $100 & save $25. I saw a commercial advertising that last night.

Pretty sure that's a general LEGO promotion at TRU, spend $100 & save $25. I saw a commercial advertising that last night.

And the sign in store says "regularly priced LEGO sets. Technic and TMNT excluded." So with the markdown on Galaxy Squad, they could use that as an out for not including those in the sale.

It was VERY hard not to buy one of the two bigger sets while there since they were MSRP. But at this time of year I cannot sneak any sets in really. My wife would shoot me, and she is already upset over how much money I spent this season. Not just on myself but on gifts for her.

And the sign in store says "regularly priced LEGO sets. Technic and TMNT excluded." So with the markdown on Galaxy Squad, they could use that as an out for not including those in the sale.

It was VERY hard not to buy one of the two bigger sets while there since they were MSRP. But at this time of year I cannot sneak any sets in really. My wife would shoot me, and she is already upset over how much money I spent this season. Not just on myself but on gifts for her.

let's cut the crap here, Did you get chicken suit guy or not?

Top Bottom