• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO GAF |OT2|: Building Dreams. Demolishing Wallets

First round of Christmas money came in. $50 visa gift card. My fund for getting myself an SSD ASAP as begun.

Also, thought many on here would like this story:
I work at a job that gets occasional LEGO sets, and for the holiday season we got in a box of series 8 figures that have been pretty popular. Last night at work there was a kid that was probably 6 or 7 at the box of mini figs doing the good ole bag feeling.
I walked up and asked which figure he was looking for. He held up the checklist from the figures and had all but the Robot checked off and said that is all he wants. I helped him go through bags and felt for the "Robot with bucket head" as he called it. I felt like I got it, but then felt for other specific parts to make sure I got it. I then handed him the bag and told him which part I was feeling (first the helmet. Then the gun. Then the laser beam part) so that he knew I found it. He was so excited as he ran down to the register to pay and was leaving the store tearing open the bag to see his Robot with Bucket Head figure.

Felt good to make the little guy happy.

Legend.

TripOpt55

First round of Christmas money came in. $50 visa gift card. My fund for getting myself an SSD ASAP as begun.

I work at a job that gets occasional LEGO sets, and for the holiday season we got in a box of series 8 figures that have been pretty popular. Last night at work there was a kid that was probably 6 or 7 at the box of mini figs doing the good ole bag feeling.
I walked up and asked which figure he was looking for. He held up the checklist from the figures and had all but the Robot checked off and said that is all he wants. I helped him go through bags and felt for the "Robot with bucket head" as he called it. I felt like I got it, but then felt for other specific parts to make sure I got it. I then handed him the bag and told him which part I was feeling (first the helmet. Then the gun. Then the laser beam part) so that he knew I found it. He was so excited as he ran down to the register to pay and was leaving the store tearing open the bag to see his Robot with Bucket Head figure.

Great story!

Nitemare1

It's sortin time!

A bunch of sets like the lighthouse and the log cabin that got quickly put away after some slight flooding this summer. Plus a bunch more that were bought on clearance just to use for parts. Spent about an hour a night for the past little while getting ever piece apart and now begins the even bigger job of sorting all the pieces to go into the collection.

lego1_zpsfe5e03db.jpg

Chuck

Still without luck
News for Ninjago from Lego:
- "Ninjago is here to stay"
- more sets planned for next year
- Ninjago cartoon might be coming back, "stay tuned"
- Chima is NOT replacing Ninjago.

Also Lego changed the new Star Wars sets' release again to when we get them. Which for us is tomorrow.

ghostmind

News for Ninjago from Lego:
- "Ninjago is here to stay"
- more sets planned for next year
- Ninjago cartoon might be coming back, "stay tuned"
- Chima is NOT replacing Ninjago.

Also Lego changed the new Star Wars sets' release again to when we get them. Which for us is tomorrow.

All great news regarding Ninjago! Interesting regarding the change in tone about this theme.

The cartoon was doing well for Cartoon Network - I wonder if they had any influence on the situation.

And I know where I am going tomorrow...

My brother wanted to watch a cartoon tonight before bed to wind down, so I went on demand and saw Ninjago. Neither of us have seen it before. I watched a bit and went back to do laundry, but when I came back he said he loved it and wants me to get him a bunch of Ninjago lego for Christmas.

Sucks for him, because if I buy any it's for me!
KuGsj.gif

ghostmind

IPoXg.jpg

Even though I have the last few years in Creator houses, I am undecided on this one. It's 80pcs less than the Log Cabin, which is a pretty small set in its own right.

Vyer

All that CUUSOO stuff sounds awesome. Will be interesting to see what gets chosen.

why I love this thread. With all the horrible stuff happening in the world/news it's nice to get away and read a nice little story about someone making a kid happy.

Daaawww! Nice to hear a feel-good story like this after all the recent bad news in the world. Thanks for sharing, PB.

Great story!

All that CUUSOO stuff sounds awesome. Will be interesting to see what gets chosen.

Also, wooo

Nice little set, my son was excited about the 'big robot'.

why I love this thread. With all the horrible stuff happening in the world/news it's nice to get away and read a nice little story about someone making a kid happy.
Thank you all. Thought you all would love that. And lord knows kids around here in CT need anything to be happy about. I live and work about an hour or so from Newtown, but the mood is very somber this close to the holidays. In fact, the company that I work for, that shall remain nameless, has started a toy drive in our district where all the stores in CT are sending chunks of stock of toys we carry to Newtown.

Thank you all. Thought you all would love that. And lord knows kids around here in CT need anything to be happy about. I live and work about an hour or so from Newtown, but the mood is very somber this close to the holidays. In fact, the company that I work for, that shall remain nameless, has started a toy drive in our district where all the stores in CT are sending chunks of stock of toys we carry to Newtown.

Seriously, nice work there. This time of year shouldn't be ruined for the kids.

ghostmind

I had forgotten how close you are to Newtown - glad to hear your company is doing something for the kids over there.

Eklipsis

Meijer had some polybags on sale 2 for $5 and minifigs(in the novelty bin) buy 5 or more get 40% off total novelty bin purchases...got 5 for around $9

Amazon has changed all the new Star Wars, Super Hero and Ninjago sets to "preorder" with a release date of December 31st.

Either the demand wad too high or TLG slapped them in the hand. The cheaper Superhero sets were constantly going in and out stock since Friday. Glad my A-Wing made it out on Sunday.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
It's sortin time!

A bunch of sets like the lighthouse and the log cabin that got quickly put away after some slight flooding this summer. Plus a bunch more that were bought on clearance just to use for parts. Spent about an hour a night for the past little while getting ever piece apart and now begins the even bigger job of sorting all the pieces to go into the collection.

lego1_zpsfe5e03db.jpg

Never fun. Do you have a process?

I've started to do it in phases. That way I can finish each phase easily in a sitting, plus it doesn't need all my boxes around me
1) When I'm breaking a set down its usually because I need the space to build something else so I'm in a hurry. So I just dismantle into chunks into a tub - doesn't need to be individual pieces.

2) then when I have a critical mass (or can't put it off any more), I'll take that tub and just quickly sort the pieces out into 3 or four more tubs. One for all plates, one for all bricks and depending on the tub, one for technic and one for special pieces. This doesn't take long because I have those 3-4 tubs right near me and I barely have to think

3) when that's done, I take each new tub in turn and do a final sort. We have all our plates in one big drawer (with dividers) so I just need to pull out that one drawer and sort by size, which again doesn't need much thinking because I'm just looking at size, not size and category. Same for the other tubs.

It feels overall a lot faster, maybe because each stage doesn't take that long and it lets me have all the destinations close by. But perhaps mainly because each stage is simpler you can go at a faster speed.

Rootbeer

Banned
Amazon has changed all the new Star Wars, Super Hero and Ninjago sets to "preorder" with a release date of December 31st.

Also the new City Sets (such as High Speed Chase). Possibly others.

Good thing I already ordered some! They shipped and are arriving today. Some Star Wars and Super Hero stuff :) Got my TMNT stuff yesterday, but those are still available (well, sort of... they are all sold out currently)

Riddles for the Ring set is $8.97 right now. Great way to get a cheap Gollum. Other hobbit sets also have nice discounts currently. Goblin King is $75, cheapest i've seen it

Old news?

If you go on shop.lego.com and click "what's new" then click "view all" you can see ALL of the new Chima sets with high quality pics

R-User!

Also the new City Sets (such as High Speed Chase). Possibly others.

Good thing I already ordered some! They shipped and are arriving today. Some Star Wars and Super Hero stuff :) Got my TMNT stuff yesterday, but those are still available (well, sort of... they are all sold out currently)

Riddles for the Ring set is $8.97 right now. Great way to get a cheap Gollum. Other hobbit sets also have nice discounts currently. Goblin King is $75, cheapest i've seen it

Yes, Amazon's prices are between 23-25% for the sets that they are currently selling!!

Goblin King $75
Attack of the Wargs $38
Escape from Mirkwood Spiders $23
Riddles of the Ring $9

4 out of 6 Hobbit Sets for $145 instead of $192 = 24% average savings per set!!! :)

P.S. I just ordered all 4!!! I can't wait to slice up that nasty-chined Goblin King!!! :D

Edit: Nice kind act that you did there PhoncipleBone!!! Sorry to hear you live so close to Newtown, but I am glad that you helped that kid get his robot and that your store is gathering toys for kids!

Nitemare1

I've started to do it in phases. That way I can finish each phase easily in a sitting, plus it doesn't need all my boxes around me
1) When I'm breaking a set down its usually because I need the space to build something else so I'm in a hurry. So I just dismantle into chunks into a tub - doesn't need to be individual pieces.

2) then when I have a critical mass (or can't put it off any more), I'll take that tub and just quickly sort the pieces out into 3 or four more tubs. One for all plates, one for all bricks and depending on the tub, one for technic and one for special pieces. This doesn't take long because I have those 3-4 tubs right near me and I barely have to think

3) when that's done, I take each new tub in turn and do a final sort. We have all our plates in one big drawer (with dividers) so I just need to pull out that one drawer and sort by size, which again doesn't need much thinking because I'm just looking at size, not size and category. Same for the other tubs.

It feels overall a lot faster, maybe because each stage doesn't take that long and it lets me have all the destinations close by. But perhaps mainly because each stage is simpler you can go at a faster speed.

Thanks so much for the tips. I usually just find something on netflix to watch, sit down, and trudge though it surrounded by the cases I use. Since I haven't had to sort a whole lot before it didn't take too long. Since this is the biggest sorting job I've ever had to do I really like the sound of sorting into groups and then sorting again from there.
Thanks again!

Treat every kid that comes into your store like gold, Bone. You're doing the right thing.

One of the kids killed had exactly the same first name, middle name & extra curricular activities as my oldest daughter. Same age too. No news story has ever made me cry like this one. Welling up just thinking about it.

ruxtpin

Banned

This is what I'm having trouble with. I've got a bunch of the LotR and SW sets that I want to break down to make room for others, but I'm not quite sure how I should store.

Fire Brigade for $120

Town Hall for $166

Imperial Shuttle for $220

Death Star for $360

SSD for $310.

Still time to treat yourselves before Christmas.
Hopes to get enough together to order SSD at that price before it goes back to MSRP.

EDIT: LEGO.com has Horizon Express and Arkham Asylum listed as available on Dec. 27th now.

Ah damnit PhoncipleBone you are killing me. Tempted to order the Fire Brigade. If I reopen that lego wound it will be hard to close it again

Amazon.com now ships LEGO to Canada. Shipping is crazy expensive on large sets though.

I'd love to get that Super Star Destroyer, but I don't know if I can afford it right now and shipping costs over $80 to Canada :|

I nerver understood the overprice ways of Amazon-Canada. they are not even hiding it, Amazon-Canada is even more expensive than MSRPs, it's like a troll site or something, like they punish you and charge you more for having typed .ca instead of .com

No he actually bought it from the Lego store. Still, $500 is nothing to sneeze at.

He bought that for himself, I frankly don't think a 6 years old can put that set together just by himself, his plan will be unveiled when the kids falls asleep and he is still "helping him" put it together at 12 am with some scotch in hand.

/me jelly

Top Bottom