• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO GAF |OT2|: Building Dreams. Demolishing Wallets

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
Calm, why did you have to tell me about that? Now I've gotta' go and do a little 'browsing' and by 'browsing' I mean buying.

Just doing what I can to spread the word. I am being strong and not buying anything until next year. But I can help everyone else spend their money. :)

Well, the Amazon Fairy arrived today. Brought the A-Wing! Plus, went to TRU and got the GS Swarm Stinger (think that is the name).

Needed something to build with the arriving snow storm. :)

Bought 79003 Unexpected Gathering from yoyo.com. Got 30% off using YOYO30A as a first time buyer. Free 2 day shipping. No Tax (MI). Ended up paying $49.99 which is pretty decent.

The wife and I started on the Winter Cottage last night.

Its her first Lego build. She gave up before we finished the igloo, saying its too detailed for her.

Looks like it will be a solo project :/

Rootbeer

Banned
Attention all toysrus.com shoppers, make sure to get in on the free 1 year shoprunner.com membership wich will get you free 2-day shipping on your orders

here is the thread with details

mooseman

I was recently pulled back in to legos as well. I was bored so I picked up the log cabin set and loved it. I've been collecting the mini figures lately and am getting the lego fire brigade modular for Christmas. It's my first big lego set and I'm pretty excited about it. Feel a little silly since I'm closing in on 40 but oh well...just too much fun :) Looking forward to what 2013 will bring.

Prepared for the LEGO City Undercover WiiU game.
Code for unlocking special missions in the game is on the license plate!

KcTMY.jpg
Building was okay, not great.

I feel sorry for the guy that tried to build together with the wife. Do you think she would try again with another model or was that "too detailed" just an excuse?

Prepared for the LEGO City Undercover WiiU game.
Code for unlocking special missions in the game is on the license plate!

Building was okay, not great.

I feel sorry for the guy that tried to build together with the wife. Do you think she would try again with another model or was that "too detailed" just an excuse?

Maybe something smaller, or simpler will be a better fit.

R-User!

Phew. Managed to escape tru without buying a bunch of Galaxy Squad. I must stick to saving for SSD.

Funny enough, the main Lego aisle had the Galaxy Squad stuff stickered at msrp, but the display at the front of the store had the insane markup prices. One aisle had a set at $75, while the other had the same set at $60.

Good job showing restraint!!

On that note: I just bought a set I've been eyeing for awhile: LEGO Star Wars Anakin's Jedi Interceptor 9494.

Got it at Target.com delivered out the door for $32.90!! I just love the little lava robots! They're totally going to stay locked in perpetual battle on my desk!
Anakin and Obi-Wan that is... :(
*cue Battle of the Heroes theme :(

ruxtpin

Banned
And... I just got back from Target. Picked up the Desert Skiff set. I was about to stop there when I noticed the Naboo Figter for $25. I think it's normally $40 something, and it had the clearance stickers on it. Went for that as well.

lingiii

Banned
Good job showing restraint!!

On that note: I just bought a set I've been eyeing for awhile: LEGO Star Wars Anakin's Jedi Interceptor 9494.

Got it at Target.com delivered out the door for $32.90!! I just love the little lava robots! They're totally going to stay locked in perpetual battle on my desk!
Anakin and Obi-Wan that is... :(
*cue Battle of the Heroes theme :(

You clearly don't belong in this thread. "Restraint" :lol

And... I just got back from Target. Picked up the Desert Skiff set. I was about to stop there when I noticed the Naboo Figter for $25. I think it's normally $40 something, and it had the clearance stickers on it. Went for that as well.

The Desert Skiff is such a rad little set. Amazing Lando minifig and an even better Boba Fett. Looking forward to the 2013 Sand Barge!

Do you guys ever buy sets that you know you won't keep for long?

The Imperial Shuttle looks nice for $210 but if I build the set and display it for a few months, do you think I will be able to sell it and recover most of that money?

The Imperial Shuttle looks nice for $210 but if I build the set and display it for a few months, do you think I will be able to sell it and recover most of that money?

Is this a normal thing? I bought the ISD for myself and my wife to build and we had a great time, but afterwards it sort of loomed over our living room ominously, and I eventually moved it to my office (I work in the game industry so not too out of place) when we needed to show our condo to sell. I gave it to a friend at work when I moved out to the east coast but maybe I should have tried to sell it...

It's funny... You're saving for SSD, and I'm saving for DS.... Let's see who gets there first! :)

I could just bust out the credit card and be done with the SSD, but I am trying to keep it off of that. Although, the Amazon sale is mighty tempting since it saves $80. But once I have money I will probably drive an hour and a half to go to the Lego store and get it in person.

Along with a few PAB cups. :)

Give it a bit after it truly disappears and you will get back all of the money.

But once you actually build it and have it on display, you wont want to sell it.

Anyways, had to buy two more Sortmasters today to expand my storage. I had no more room for sloped pieces or 1x? bricks in the current tubs. Spreading things out now, and thinking of organizing mini fig accessories like walkie talkies and such next.

Is this a normal thing? I bought the ISD for myself and my wife to build and we had a great time, but afterwards it sort of loomed over our living room ominously, and I eventually moved it to my office (I work in the game industry so not too out of place) when we needed to show our condo to sell. I gave it to a friend at work when I moved out to the east coast but maybe I should have tried to sell it...

Some sets definitely sell for over retail price once they go out of stock. Some don't because they have had a long run. So I was enquiring about the Imperial Shuttle.

The UCS ISD seems to be selling in the $500 range. The 6211 ISD in the $250 range.

(These are all used but 100% complete sets)

Give it a bit after it truly disappears and you will get back all of the money.

But once you actually build it and have it on display, you wont want to sell it.

I am on the wall about this set because I am not sure I will enjoy the all white construction. It might push me over if it is a set that retains it's value. Then I can decide after actually building it.
Also, I much prefer how it looks to the SSD.

Till next year's large Technic sets are revealed, this is what I am looking at.

Definites--
Medieval Market Village

Maybes (These depend on my year end bonus at work)--
Camper Van
Sopwith Camel
Imperial Shuttle
R2D2

I am on the wall about this set because I am not sure I will enjoy the all white construction. It might push me over if it is a set that retains it's value. Then I can decide after actually building it.
Also, I much prefer how it looks to the SSD.

Till next year's large Technic sets are revealed, this is what I am looking at.

Definites--
Medieval Market Village

Maybes (These depend on my year end bonus at work)--
Camper Van
Sopwith Camel
Imperial Shuttle
R2D2

Imperial Shuttle is a divine display piece. Awesome build, and fools many people once completed. Almost everyone that comes to my home has to be told it is Lego because it looks so good.

And get R2D2. Cute lil guy, and a very unique and fun build.

bodine1231

Alot of people buy sets,build them, and then sell them for a small loss/break even. I've actually thought about doing this for some of the larger sets that I know I won't have display room for. It's a great way to scratch the LEGO itch.

Box from in laws showed up. There is a LEGO set among all the wrapped gifts. I just have no idea what it is. Nothing too large though. So there goes the theory of my wife conspiring with her parents to get me the SSD.

Will have to wait until Christmas day to find out what set it is though.

b4K2Z.jpg

This is a great build - the body/main wing in particular are a ton of fun to see coming together.

devil-cat.jpg

Soon...

And it just occurred to me as I ponder what set my in laws might have bought me: the best thing about getting LEGO as gifts is that if you are into MOCing, there is no such thing as a bad set. You always get pieces to use later.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
We have one of the big beast Dysons, and the first time I used it I was horrified by how much dirt and hair it picked up off the floor compared to our previous vacuum.

Roomba's are neat though, but I have never used one.

Oh, yeah...LEGO!

Huh, what lego piece has a werewolf

ghostmind

Went by the LEGO store today... no new Star Wars yet, but they had the 4 new Super Hero sets and the TMNT sets. Actually, they were down to just the Turtles Lair for TMNT - everything else sold out in a matter of 2 days.

Tonight I will have dreams of CUUSOO sets dancing in my head. Do not dissapoint TLG!

TripOpt55

Box from in laws showed up. There is a LEGO set among all the wrapped gifts. I just have no idea what it is. Nothing too large though. So there goes the theory of my wife conspiring with her parents to get me the SSD.

Will have to wait until Christmas day to find out what set it is though.

I'm just getting back into LEGO, so I don't think anyone would think to get me something unless I asked for it. It would be so cool to run into a LEGO set under the tree that I had no idea what it was.

No series 9 at tru near work. But they have Rancor and A Wing. Strangely they also have the Imperial Shuttle on shelf.

Edit: was strong. Bought nothing. Eye of the tiger.

Top Bottom