• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO GAF |OT2|: Building Dreams. Demolishing Wallets

ghostmind

From the LEGO Italy retail book (or whatever is called):

1. CHIMA will have his cartoon
  2. FRIENDS will have his cartoon (was just thinking this a bunch of minute ago for my daughter)
  3. LEGO Friends animals
1.jpg

So a Chima cartoon, a Friends cartoon, and a potential return of the Ninjago cartoon? Wow - they must have really been doing well for CN.

I love those Friends animals, and I think the concept would be great if executed in the mainstream LEGO City line as part of my imaginary zoo kit. Purchase the base zoo kit (with a few key animals, enclosures, etc) and then have a series of polybags like these with individual animals, and "furniture", accessories, etc for their enclosures!

I love those Friends animals, and I think the concept would be great if executed in the mainstream LEGO City line as part of my imaginary zoo kit. Purchase the base zoo kit (with a few key animals, enclosures, etc) and then have a series of polybags like these with individual animals, and "furniture", accessories, etc for their enclosures!

That's....a really, really good idea.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Those animals are going to be a gold mine for lego.

Don't like the technic F1 car. Love F1 but I'd like a more sculpted model in the creator style. But big cars etc are always technic with the inevitable compromise on the overall shape and panel fit, in favour of exposed technical elements.

I'd love more along the lines of the VW camper

The Technic set looks like something in the $120 price range like the 8070. Wonder what the big set in 2013 will be.

Edit: Maybe even less expensive than 8070. This doesn't look like it has any PFs?

Ironmask

also minifigures series 9 on the wild....
20121220-135523-e1356029915851.jpg

and.... do you remember the DK minifig encyclopedia?
LEGO-Minifigures-Character-Encyclopedia-Book-Cover-e1355240939519-252x300.png

it's speculated to have this minifig
LEGO-Minifigures-Series-10-Toy-Soldier-e1355189144463.jpg

ruxtpin

Banned
Does anyone know if the Minecraft sets are coming back in stock? I got one from Jinx a while back, but I'd really like to try to get a second one.

isny

napkin dispenser
I'm glad they decided to go with the BTTF2 time machine and not the one from the third film. Really excited for this =D

gerg

Something along those lines would have been preferrable. Instead we got this:

[quotes]

It really feels like there was zero communication between the CUUSOO team and the managers who make the decisions on which sets should be made.

While I think that their responses might feel very disingenuous, I'm not really sure there's much else they can do given the structure of the CUUSOO system. I imagine that they'd be unwilling to close down a concept early for at least a couple of reasons: one, mentioning the existence of "a similar theme" might break any NDAs surrounding their contracts; and two, it would create an undesirable precedent whereby they would need to do the same for any other such project, which would undoubtedly be a lot of work.

I do wonder whether any ideas from the Modular Western set might be saved for the future, however. Is there any clause in the CUUSOO terms and conditions that suggests LEGO can do this without having to pay any royalties?

wetwired

Judging by the CUUSOO results, in the future I can't see either large build projects (UCS sandcrawler) or niche interests (perdue pete, android bot) ever passing review.

In other CUUSOO news the added traffic to CUUSOO looks to have bumped up my Tumbler up to #5 position! (only just)

Fowler

Something along those lines would have been preferrable. Instead we got this:

It really feels like there was zero communication between the CUUSOO team and the managers who make the decisions on which sets should be made.

That reminds me... what happened to "veteran designer Steen Sig Andersen" investigating the model? They even promised that the results would be posted. That was in March. Given the reason it was rejected, I'm fairly convinced that they never got around to that part.

Given how long it took with so little result, given the lack of communication, and given the lack of any regular schedule or follow up, it sounds more and more like Cuusoo is a tiny side project that they just don't take seriously. Which is a pity because Minecraft seemed to happen virtually overnight. I realise a lot of things aligned at just the right time for Minecraft to work, but given that it seems to be sold out all the time you'd think they'd be happy with the results.

At the very least, I hope they look at the type of projects that attract attention and results on Cuusoo.

Mr Mike

1 million Canadian dollars
Picked up some S9's today in WH Smith (here in the UK).

Got me a Julius Ceasar, Space Marine Zombie dude and the Fortune Teller.

wetwired

So a Chima cartoon, a Friends cartoon, and a potential return of the Ninjago cartoon? Wow - they must have really been doing well for CN.

I just want 4 baby turtles to go with the TMNT minifigs :p

Rootbeer

Banned
local target has probably about 300 series 8 sitting on shelves (most boxes near the stocking stuffers). I need to fill out my collection before series 9 comes in! aaargh!

local target has probably about 300 series 8 sitting on shelves (most boxes near the stocking stuffers). I need to fill out my collection before series 9 comes in! aaargh!

If there is Meijer close by, you might want to look in. They have an offer where if you buy more than five figs, you get 40% off your whole order.

Was going to pick up a set while at the grocery store tonight, but they had the Quinjet for $75 so I figured I probably shouldn't buy there. I'm pretty sure I've seen it cheaper other places, so I figured most the stuff there was over priced.

Rootbeer

Banned
If there is Meijer close by, you might want to look in. They have an offer where if you buy more than five figs, you get 40% off your whole order.
Great tip! Sadly there doesn't appear to be any around according to google maps. I'm used to it, there's no wal-mart nearby either :p If I want to buy local I have to use target or toys r us. Well, and Walgreens sometimes carries minifigs... but they price them up -__-

Was going to pick up a set while at the grocery store tonight, but they had the Quinjet for $75 so I figured I probably shouldn't buy there. I'm pretty sure I've seen it cheaper other places, so I figured most the stuff there was over priced.

MSRP is $70 US. But yes, you should buy that set at some point. Very highly recommended.

Just caught up on the CUUSOO news. Such a shame about Western Modular. But great news for BTTF. In the end, I think the program will see a lot less fan contribution now that LEGO has shed more light on what they will and will not support. There are truly some amazing MOCs out their and I hope the community isn't too discouraged.

Just picked up Spider-Man Spider Cycle and Swarm Interceptor for my nephews. Sadly all the TMNT sets sold out days before.

I'll have to go back in January. The Galaxy Squad stuff looks great in person.

8Kn0t.jpg

My local Big W retailer.

All of them with damaged boxes. Some of them absolutely destroyed (you could practically lift some of them up and the bags would fall out!)

No discount or anything.

$450. Nice try Australian Big W.

8Kn0t.jpg

My local Big W retailer.

All of them with damaged boxes. Some of them absolutely destroyed (you could practically lift some of them up and the bags would fall out!)

No discount or anything.

I would camp out on the clearance aisle waiting for it...

Anyways, about the CUUSO news:

I am disappointed about the Western modular, but it does make sense to a degree with the Lone Ranger sets coming out. But the way they were encouraging it only to shoot it down is disappointing.

However, AWESOME to getting a BTTF set. Hopefully the official model is nicer than the one in the submission. And will it come with Doc and Marty figures? I could see this set going over bigger than Minecraft potentially. Well, in a just world it would.

And this round of rejections does give a better idea on what we should and should not be trying to push through on CUUSO. Nice, medium sized sets seem to make it, where something much larger in piece count seems to be a no, no.

I will be buying BTTF set on day one though.

8Kn0t.jpg

My local Big W retailer.

No discount or anything.

It's disappointing hardly any Australian stores (at least here in Tas) care for Lego at all.

Have you seen any of the newer sets appearing anywhere?

It's disappointing hardly any Australian stores (at least here in Tas) care for Lego at all.

I know! Big W, Target, Kmart, all have pretty crap Lego range.

I went yesterday to check for the new sets, but there's nothing at my local mall yet.

No series 9 to be found in the Hartford, CT area. :( Sad Phoney Bone.

I was strong and did not get any Hobbit sets. Going to wait and see if there is a coupon next week for BN, as I have a few $10 giftcards that were free that activate on 12/26. Coupon plus that should make things cheaper.

But...EYE OF THE TIGER! Must save up for SSD! Did get a check from my father for Christmas. So up to $100 saved for SSD. 25% there!

C-Drive

I've been out of the Lego loop for awhile, so I may not get all the CUUSOO talk, but couldn't this idea be one? Because I would buy it.

Chris R

No series 9 to be found in the Hartford, CT area. :( Sad Phoney Bone.

I was strong and did not get any Hobbit sets. Going to wait and see if there is a coupon next week for BN, as I have a few $10 giftcards that were free that activate on 12/26. Coupon plus that should make things cheaper.

But...EYE OF THE TIGER! Must save up for SSD! Did get a check from my father for Christmas. So up to $100 saved for SSD. 25% there!
Don't you mean 33%? :D

I've been out of the Lego loop for awhile, so I may not get all the CUUSOO talk, but couldn't this idea be one? Because I would buy it.

They've only done single sets thus far, and not themes. Perhaps if the sets were tiny enough they'd be willing to try a set of like 3 or 4.

Every once and a while I'll get 3 or so minifig bags. Lately I've been trying to get Santa Claus, and I was SURE I had felt him out, but the three I bought were all duplicates of ones I already had.
D:

Oh well, they'll make fun party gifts at least.

MTE

Agreed! It's disheartening to go to Melbourne and find some of the cooler stuff out and about. Myer in Hobart not too long ago did get some architecture sets though.
Saw the Death Star in Bridges Bros. It was like, $700, or something ludicrous.

I need to be rich.

Top Bottom