• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO GAF |OT2|: Building Dreams. Demolishing Wallets

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
http://legocuusoo.posterous.com/results-of-the-summer-lego-review

Back to the Future made it!

Modular Western Town didn't! WHAAAAT
Zelda and EVE didn't make it :(

Back to the Future DeLorean Time Machine
by m.togami* and Sakuretsu
After analyzing the supporters of the Back to the Future project, we learned that this product has a broad, worldwide appeal. The model presented in this project is built very closely to the LEGO Group’s design standards and has therefore provided a strong base to design the final product. It has a high play value and it fits well with supporters’ price expectations.

For these reasons, the Back to the Future project has passed the LEGO Review, and has been selected for production as the next LEGO CUUSOO set. The final product, pricing, and release dates are still being determined.

EVE Online Ships – Rifter
by czar
The supporters we received for the EVE Online Ships – Rifter project allowed us to examine the feasibility of another gaming-related product. However the Rifter presented a more challenging business case when considered alongside other potential products in this Review period. Therefore, the LEGO Review Board has decided that this project does not meet the requirements for the business case.

Modular Western Town
by mb_bricks
The Modular Western Town project conflicts with an ongoing project at the LEGO Group. As a result, the project does not meet the business case requirements and has not passed the LEGO Review.

The Legend of Zelda
by MINGLES
The Legend of Zelda project shows broad support among gaming enthusiasts . This project has provided great inspiration and concept work for what could be a very nice product.

However, multiple new element moulds would be required to create the minifigures for such a product, and the expense of these moulds means that the Legend of Zelda project does not pass the LEGO Review on the basis of the business case.

I hoped that despite the Lone Ranger theme existing that they could consider the western town project as an exclusive set, or even slap the Lone Ranger theme on it. Though the latter is probably unrealistic as their contract probably stipulates a certain number of sets, plus it'd cost extra in licensing maybe? I dunno, it's a shame.

iuuk

I get LEGO's reasoning, but I never expected it. But if only one model per review is produced, I'm glad it's BttF. The Western Town looks great, but the Delorean looks great and affordable. Also great that they gifted their 1% to MJF's Parkinsons foundation.

suaveric

It's too bad about Zelda, but many people were right on the money there: too many unique pieces is a no go. Maybe Nintendo and Lego can get together at some point and come up with a range of sets that might make more financial sense.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
makes sense other than Eve - lack of info there is confusing, was it rejected due to theme or price?

Zelda due to molds is perhaps expected

Modular western - if produced - would perhaps have been forced to be Lone Ranger branded, perhaps they have a 'no compete' clause to prevent generic western sets avoiding paying license fees? Just bad timing of the license. Plus that would most likely have broken the record in terms of cost for a cuusoo model

ghostmind

Not happy regarding the Western Town at all. Basically it is TLG saying "don't have ideas that conflict with our licensing agreements now or in a future you're not even privy to".

Hero

Zelda set would require too many new molds? Ganondorf and Link's hair pieces, maybe Zelda's, the Master Sword, Ocarina of Time, and the shield I guess?

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Not happy regarding the Western Town at all. Basically it is TLG saying "don't have ideas that conflict with our licensing agreements now or in a future you're not even privy to".

Space Troopers - the latest project to hit 10000 votes is thus doomed since it conflicts with Galaxy Squad.

I don't really understand about the EVE ship either. I mean, it definitely doesn't have the widespread appeal of BttF, or even Minecraft, but surely 10000 votes counts for something.

R-User!

Zelda set would require too many new molds? Ganondorf and Link's hair pieces, maybe Zelda's, the Master Sword, Ocarina of Time, and the shield I guess?

Yeah, like 6 new molds plus maybe they want someone to create a playset not just the Minifigs themselves...?

iuuk

Space Troopers - the latest project to hit 10000 votes is thus doomed since it conflicts with Galaxy Squad.

I don't really understand about the EVE ship either. I mean, it definitely doesn't have the widespread appeal of BttF, or even Minecraft, but surely 10000 votes counts for something.
To be completely honest, I don't think it counts for an awful lot more than making LEGO consider producing it. I think a lot of people who vote do so because they like the set, but do not necessarily have any intention of buying it.

The Western Town is a shame though. It's a lot better looking than the new Lone Ranger sets (which aren't too bad, but still worse).

Galaxy Squad is their own theme, not a license, so that shouldn't be a reason.

Rootbeer

Banned
I called it! BttF, with western town conflicting with lone ranger. Same reason Space Troopers won't pass, so don't get your hopes up guys. It's time to let the dream fade away!

A part of me did want the LoZ theme to get approved, even with my reservations about how well it fits into the LEGO aesthetic. I wish LEGO would be a little more flexible when it comes to needing to produce new parts.

Nice, I'm happy about the Back to the Future set. I will definitely be getting that.

Not too surprised about the western set. It conflicting with the Lone Ranger sets makes sense.

Amalthea

Banned
Maybe a crappy pixelart Link would convince them since it needs not special parts.

linklegoh2uex.png

suaveric

During that show from last year where they visited Lego's factory, they mentioned a new mold cost 300k to make. There's no way Lego is going to justify a single set with multiple new molds needed.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Still kind of cool to see a licence like BttF get made from a fan suggestion.

Please note: If a project does not pass the LEGO Review please do not interpret that as an indication that we will not consider similar projects in the future.
So if you really want Zelda set and can come up with a no new mould/a mould becomes available idea send it in.

Deefuzz

So very happy about the BTTF set making it. Honestly I am surprised.

Will absolutely be buying this as soon as we are able to!

gerg

Which is... actually, quite fair.

Not really. I imagine that LEGO sells with expectations to sell hundreds of thousands of sets, so 10,000 votes isn't particularly many (and that's presuming that each one of those votes translates into a sale, which is unlikely in itself).

ghostmind

Given TLG's justification for voting down the Western Town, I'm thinking that getting any minifigure-based set that is not a niche theme approved will not be possible.

The Western Town was first entered on CUUSOO on October 14, 2011, which at that time it was still in limbo whether the Lone Ranger film was even going to be completed, as Disney had shelved the project back in August. Therefore it was near impossible to predict that a LEGO theme based on this movie would be coming out in April 2013, hence creating this conflict that TLG is now citing for their reasoning. Since the Western theme itself had not been seen since 2002, I think mb_bricks (and his supporters, including myself) believed that this proposal would be very likely.

If other themes, especially licensed ones, are going to be a deterring factor in TLG deciding to produce a CUUSOO project, then most of the common themes are not going to pass.

Pirates - the word is a 5th PotC movie is in production

Space - Star Wars is ever-present

Castle - LotR/Hobbit are going to be around for at least the next several years (even though TLG seems to not have an issue producing Castle sets during this time, which I think is a bit hypocritical)

Western - we now know this is off-limits

City/Fire/Police/etc - TLG isn't going to compete with their own theme products

With this decision, TLG has made it much more difficult for creators looking to get their ideas approved. Not only are they going to have create compelling projects that do not conflict with any current themes (especially licensed ones) but they are going to have to also play Nostrodamus and predict future conflicts that may occur in a year (or longer) out, since the approval process takes so long.

EDIT: Let me add that I think that getting a "model"- based set approved would be a much easier probability, since licensed themes would likely not be a factor. So a set like the Mars Curiosity Rover might stand a real chance of being accepted - at least I hope so.

I get LEGO's reasoning, but I never expected it. But if only one model per review is produced, I'm glad it's BttF. The Western Town looks great, but the Delorean looks great and affordable. Also great that they gifted their 1% to MJF's Parkinsons foundation.

That's fantastic. I saw MJF speak at a financial conference in October and he's a pretty moving, motivating guy. Parkinsons is terrifying.

So what is so different about these Cuuso sets from regular released sets in the end apart from the selection process?

I am super stoked about a BTTF set though, one of my favorite IPs of the older days!! Will buy asap, though i wonder, do most of these finished sets end up looking JUST like that prototype? Or will it deviate widely ? I mean i think that Delorean looks alright, just a little low on detail (it is pretty small too) Those Doc and Marty figs look to die for though!!!

So what is so different about these Cuuso sets from regular released sets in the end apart from the selection process?

I am super stoked about a BTTF set though, one of my favorite IPs of the older days!! Will buy asap, though i wonder, do most of these finished sets end up looking JUST like that prototype? Or will it deviate widely ? I mean i think that Delorean looks alright, just a little low on detail (it is pretty small too) Those Doc and Marty figs look to die for though!!!

In a way, CUUSO is just free market research for Lego. They are trying to identify niche areas in which they can sell sets in a profitable manner. Of course, it makes no sense to distract from the large these/sets they have already planned for.

It is a nice initiative but I feel some of the fans are expecting too much from it.

In a way, CUUSO is just free market research for Lego. They are trying to identify niche areas in which they can sell sets in a profitable manner. Of course, it makes no sense to distract from the large these/sets they have already planned for.

It is a nice initiative but I feel some of the fans are expecting too much from it.

Yes but in the end they WILL release a set that can be bought by us correct? Will it be super limited or widely available?

gerg

Given TLG's justification for voting down the Western Town, I'm thinking that getting any minifigure-based set that is not a niche theme approved will not be possible.

Eh, I think that we're simply seeing CUUSOO fulfil what is reasonable to expect of it: smaller projects that can be slotted in and around LEGO's pre-existing contracts and internal schedule.

I imagine that part of the problem with the Western Town proposal was simply the scale of it. Unless they sold it as one build (which would probably place it in a size and price point outside of their comfort zone), it would require quite a bit of commitment among multiple sets, which again might be undesirable.

Yes but in the end they WILL release a set that can be bought by us correct? Will it be super limited or widely available?

They will release a set (though slightly modified from the original proposal). Three have been released so far. The current ones available for sale are

http://shop.lego.com/en-US/Hayabusa-21101
http://shop.lego.com/en-US/Minecraft-21102

No idea how long they might be available though. The Minecraft set is incredibly popular and is always sold out but I do see it sticking around for a bit.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Eh, I think that we're simply seeing CUUSOO fulfil what is reasonable to expect of it: smaller projects that can be slotted in and around LEGO's pre-existing contracts and internal schedule.

I imagine that part of the problem with the Western Town proposal was simply the scale of it. Unless they sold it as one build (which would probably place it in a size and price point outside of their comfort zone), it would require quite a bit of commitment among multiple sets, which again might be undesirable.

I would've been perfectly fine with them producing just one of the buildings.

rataven

I'm not often disappointed in Lego, but I have to admit that I'm crushed the western modular town didn't make it, especially considering their reason. At least my very distant second choice was selected.

gerg

I would've been perfectly fine with them producing just one of the buildings.

Then what would be modular about it?

And then why produce a generic Western-themed set as a random one-off, either completely unrelated to every other set produced that year, or actively competing against a large licensed theme that you're also producing?

Kuntz

Damn, just found my local tobacco store ahs a lot of small lego boxes from city to star wars and ninjago...

Bought two, and I plan to buy just everything they sell just to make them bring something else each month.

What I have done...

Good to hear those Cuuso sets will release with some modifications from the prototypes, something is off with that BTTF Delorean, can't quite put my finger on it though... maybe it's just the hood that is too plain like that, missing detail etc. Ugh i hope they won't just put a huge sticker on it though...

also: generally speaking, about how long does this process from now on take and when could we be expecting the finished model on sale at the VERY earliest?

Fowler

ghostmind, I feel your pain. But it seems like the timing was just really unfortunate. There must be something like a non-compete clause within the Lone Ranger deal that would stop something like Modular Western Town from happening right now.

Unfortunately, Lone Ranger just isn't as big, iconic, or specially defined like, say, Star Wars for Lego to release a similar product. I mean, nobody would mistake any Lego Space set for Star Wars, right? Lego can still keep releasing other space sets because Star Wars is just such a well-known and well-defined property. (Similarly, this is why Castle products exist alongside Lord of the Rings.) But beyond the main characters, I can't think of anything particularly special and different about Lone Ranger that makes it more than a generic Western, and I can't be the only one.

Disney would be PISSED if Lego released a Western set -- especially a large, expensive one -- that had no Lone Ranger branding during their Lone Ranger deal. Disney would get no royalties from the Western Town set.

Just say Lego paid Disney for the right to make 10 Lone Ranger sets. Releasing the Western Town set would be like Lego building an 11th Lone Ranger set for "free" -- Disney could easily argue that it piggybacks off the success of their license and the success of their promotion for the movie and therefore they're entitled to some of the revenue. (And even if they can't prove that in court, you'd imagine for goodwill purposes alone it's not worth fighting Disney on this.)

Of course, that doesn't mean they could have found a way to make the Cuusoo project a Lone Ranger set, but that's a different story.

Fowler

Good to hear those Cuuso sets will release with some modifications from the prototypes, something is off with that BTTF Delorean, can't quite put my finger on it though... maybe it's just the hood that is too plain like that, missing detail etc. Ugh i hope they won't just put a huge sticker on it though...

also: generally speaking, about how long does this process from now on take and when could we be expecting the finished model on sale at the VERY earliest?

THe lack of a windshield and windows is killing me. I know it'd make the Doc Brown and Marty figures harder to see, but it just looks like a weird cross between a beach buggy, jeep and sports car.

ghostmind

ghostmind, I feel your pain. But it seems like the timing was just really unfortunate. There must be something like a non-compete clause within the Lone Ranger deal that would stop something like Modular Western Town from happening right now.

Unfortunately, Lone Ranger just isn't as big, iconic, or specially defined like, say, Star Wars for Lego to release a similar product. I mean, nobody would mistake any Lego Space set for Star Wars, right? Lego can still keep releasing other space sets because Star Wars is just such a well-known and well-defined property. (Similarly, this is why Castle products exist alongside Lord of the Rings.) But beyond the main characters, I can't think of anything particularly special and different about Lone Ranger that makes it more than a generic Western, and I can't be the only one.

Disney would be PISSED if Lego released a Western set -- especially a large, expensive one -- that had no Lone Ranger branding during their Lone Ranger deal. Disney would get no royalties from the Western Town set.

Just say Lego paid Disney for the right to make 10 Lone Ranger sets. Releasing the Western Town set would be like Lego building an 11th Lone Ranger set for "free" -- Disney could easily argue that it piggybacks off the success of their license and the success of their promotion for the movie and therefore they're entitled to some of the revenue. (And even if they can't prove that in court, you'd imagine for goodwill purposes alone it's not worth fighting Disney on this.)

Of course, that doesn't mean they could have found a way to make the Cuusoo project a Lone Ranger set, but that's a different story.

I would wager that all licensing agreements with LEGO contain some sort of non-compete clause, to reassure the license holder that LEGO will not release a competing product (within defined parameters) that would potentially impact the sales of the licensed product.

So I understand the business reasons for this decision.

I think my larger issue is that LEGO let it go this far, knowing full well it would not pass. The Western Town has been on CUUSOO for over a year, and achieved the 10,000 vote plateau back in May. During that time, LEGO provided encouraging feedback, with no indication that competing products might be an issue. LEGO then let it sit for over 6 months in review, again with no comment, for what must have been a very quick decision on their part. This smacks of lack of communication on LEGO's part, both externally and potentially internally. I feel that the CUUSOO concept would be far better served by improved communication by LEGO during the process, rather than the way it has been executed so far.

The support for the Western Town was largely AFOL-generated, unlike Minecraft or EVE, or even Back to the Future, which were fandom-driven. Many AFOL LEGO sites (Brickset, FBTB, etc) threw their weight behind the project, as well as many individual AFOL's (such as myself) who tried to rally support in our individual online communities. The belief that many of us shared that as this was a pure LEGO theme, and not tied to any license, it needed our support to give it the exposure it deserved, and that as a pure theme, we were much more likely to have a LEGO approval, since we didn't have licensing issues to deal with. Very few of us predicted that the Lone Ranger theme would cause us problems (even though some sites are now acting like they had thought of this, after the fact). After this result it will be very difficult to mobilize the AFOL community to back another project, but perhaps the lesson to be learned here is that CUUSOO is not for that audience.

Sour grapes on my behalf? Sure, I'll admit that. However, I do think there is some merit to my points.

Fowler

I would wager that all licensing agreements with LEGO contain some sort of non-compete clause, to reassure the license holder that LEGO will not release a competing product (within defined parameters) that would potentially impact the sales of the licensed product.

So I understand the business reasons for this decision.

I think my larger issue is that LEGO let it go this far, knowing full well it would not pass. The Western Town has been on CUUSOO for over a year, and achieved the 10,000 vote plateau back in May. During that time, LEGO provided encouraging feedback, with no indication that competing products might be an issue. LEGO then let it sit for over 6 months in review, again with no comment, for what must have been a very quick decision on their part. This smacks of lack of communication on LEGO's part, both externally and potentially internally. I feel that the CUUSOO concept would be far better served by improved communication by LEGO during the process, rather than the way it has been executed so far.

I agree completely on communication.

It sucks that it took this long for them to basically say: We've approved one project!

I was really hoping the delay was because they were working on multiple projects, or because they were finalising sale details, or just building really good models. But we didn't get any of that!

LEGO then let it sit for over 6 months in review, again with no comment, for what must have been a very quick decision on their part. This smacks of lack of communication on LEGO's part, both externally and potentially internally.

How do you propose they might have handled it?

They can't speak to a potential conflict if it hinges on unreleased licensing deals. I agree that not saying anything seems to implicitly imply potential compliance, but unless they outright said "This set will not be produced for undisclosed reasons" early in the process then they had no alternative.

Ironmask

From the LEGO Italy retail book (or whatever is called):

1. CHIMA will have his cartoon
  2. FRIENDS will have his cartoon (was just thinking this a bunch of minute ago for my daughter)
  3. LEGO Friends animals
    1.jpg

4. new masterpiece sets for LEGO Technic and LEGO Architecture
    2.jpg
  5. LEGO Hero Factory Brain Attack
    3.jpg

if anything is wrong, tell me and i'll remove the images

ghostmind

How do you propose they might have handled it?

They can't speak to a potential conflict if it hinges on unreleased licensing deals. I agree that not saying anything seems to implicitly imply potential compliance, but unless they outright said "This set will not be produced for undisclosed reasons" early in the process then they had no alternative.

Something along those lines would have been preferrable. Instead we got this:

Congratulatory message from LEGO for +500 votes

Congratulations on all of the support! This is an incredibly detailed and fun project. A Western approach to the modular town series could very well become a hit. Since you are proposing a series of products, keep in mind that we will only produce one for starters. Can you show more detail of the one you think would be the best model to kick off a potential series?

Keep going for the supporters. Good luck on your journey to 10,000!

The LEGO CUUSOO Team

Congratulatory Message from LEGO for 5,000 votes!

Dear mb_bricks,
Congratulations on passing this milestone of 5,000 supporters on LEGO CUUSOO for the Modular Western Town. You're halfway there!

Over the coming weeks, veteran designer Steen Sig Andersen, the same designer who built the final Shinkai 6500 and LEGO Minecraft Micro World models, will investigate your Modular Western Town model and build our own concept. We will post the results here with our comments once that is complete.

Best wishes as you continue on your journey to achieving 10,000 supporters on LEGO CUUSOO.

The LEGO CUUSOO Team

Congrats on 10,000 Supporters, mb_bricks!

Wow! We tip our hats to you for the beautiful and incredibly detailed Western Town model, and also to the persistence and teamwork of the various online LEGO fan communities that have come together to support this project.

Congratulations on achieving 10,000 supporters. We now officially advance this project to the Review phase.

What happens now?
This project moves from the Idea stage to the Review stage. A "LEGO Jury" composed of designers, product managers, and other key team members will examine the idea. We'll build concept models and determine if the concept meets our high standards for what it takes to be a LEGO product, including playability, safety, and fit with the LEGO brand. Every LEGO product goes through a process like this and must meet the same standards.

Timing of the LEGO Review
From here forward, the LEGO Review will take place quarterly. The next review will be held starting in June and will include all projects that reach 10,000 between now and then. We'll update the LEGO CUUSOO blog with additional details next week.

The review is a thorough process and from its start, and can take several months. When finished, we make a "go/no go" decision to develop and sell a product based on the Modular Western Town concept. As we are consolidating the review of all pending projects into a quarterly process, the concept model that began development will be refined and revealed should the project pass review.

We will inform you of our decision, and if green-lighted, this project goes into the longest phase of the project; the Development phase. During this time, LEGO model designers refine the product and develop it for release, we create the product materials (box, instructions, marketing), and get everything ready for a production run. This also takes several months.

We will post follow-up information and our decision here.
The LEGO CUUSOO Team

Results of the LEGO Review for EVE Online Ships - Rifter

First and foremost, congratulations again to mb_bricks for reaching 10,000 supporters on LEGO CUUSOO, and toward everyone for all of the support of the Modular Western Town project! The Summer LEGO Review has concluded and the LEGO Review Board has arrived at its decision about the four projects in review.

The Modular Western Town project conflicts with an ongoing project at the LEGO Group. As a result, the project does not meet the business case requirements and it has not passed the LEGO Review.

mb_bricks has been a pleasure to work with throughout this process and has shown a lot of passion and enthusiasm for his idea and LEGO bricks. We also recognize the intense interest of all of you who supported this project, and we are sorry to deliver this disappointing news.

For further details on the results of the LEGO Review visit the LEGO CUUSOO blog at http://legocuusoo.posterous.com

The LEGO CUUSOO Team

It really feels like there was zero communication between the CUUSOO team and the managers who make the decisions on which sets should be made.

It really feels like there was zero communication between the CUUSOO team and the managers who make the decisions on which sets should be made.

Ahh....I hadn't been reading the updates. Sounds like the interim updates serve ONLY to try and drive more people to the site & voting system. I agree completely.

Top Bottom