• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO GAF |OT2|: Building Dreams. Demolishing Wallets

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Wasn't "bridge of khazad dum" confirmed as well? Are there pictures? I'm secretly hoping the Balrog has a light piece in its maw.

Just finished my first sets of 2013, Umbaran Mobile Heavy Cannon and Highway Speedster.

Although the Umbaran MHC is one of those builds with repeated steps (6 legs and a symmetrical body) it was still an enjoyable build. At £50 it's step but a £5 voucher from the catalog helped.

The Umbaran minifigs are great too.

Highway Speedster is also a very fun build but at a much better price (£15), it was so much fun it's got me eying a Roaring Roadster on BL for almost 50% above MSRP.

Free Chima set is not my cup of tea but the CHI element will be nice for some sort of Crystal engine or something.

R-User!

Wk3Dw.jpg

Just saw this on tumblr

Is that supposed to be Minas Morgul or Tirith? I'm leaning toward Morgul and my boy thought that it was Morgul...

Also, who wouldn't want a 3666 piece Minas Morgul Set after a 3742 piece Minas Tirith?! :)

With the bright green magical beam of light shooting up with 3-6 light bricks "linked" to operate simultaneously through translucent blue-green bricks and whatnot!!!

Mr Mike

1 million Canadian dollars
UK gaffers - anyone up for some Minifig S9 trades? I seem to have one or two too many ogres and space mutants. My bag feeling skills seem to be dreadful.

R-User!

Something easy, it would be something like this:

FgyWa.png

Edit: I wonder how many of those I'd be able to stack before it starts getting unstable.

Can you also find out how many licks it takes to get to the center of a Tootsie Roll Tootsie Pop while you're at it? :)

And please don't say: A one, a two, a crunch!!! ;)

R-User!

Yeah I'd love to see the witch king of agmar but I don't recall him being in that scene.

Unless that was a typo, you were sooo close to getting that name right! ;)

From Wikipedia:

The Witch-king of Angmar, also known as the Lord of the Nazgûl and the Black Captain among other names, is a fictional character and an antagonist in J. R. R. Tolkien's Middle-earth fantasy writings.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Witch-king_of_Angmar

Chuckie

Is that supposed to be Minas Morgul or Tirith? I'm leaning toward Morgul and my boy thought that it was Morgul...

To be honest it doesn't look like both. If I had to choose I would say Minas Tirith, simply because the round form. The single tower in the middle does remind me of Morgul though

Minas Morgul has a starshaped (or something like that) shape

MinasMorgul.jpg

R-User!

To be honest it doesn't look like both. If I had to choose I would say Minas Tirith, simply because the round form. The single tower in the middle does remind me of Morgul though

Minas Morgul has a starshaped (or something like that) shape

MinasMorgul.jpg

Thanks for posting that pic! God I love the look of Minas Morgul!

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
I wouldn't mind a ruins of Osgiliath set, with Gondorians, Orcs, Faramir, and maybe Frodo+Nazgul.

Evlar

Banned
I'm half way through building Fire Brigade. I like that it has no stickers; a little disappointed to see that the Palace Cinema has so many.

I hit my local Lego Store tonight.

They had about a dozen series 9 minifigs.

Store manager was extra nice and helped me feel the bags. I got the Cyclops, Ceasar, and the Alien Trooper. I think we thought the Cyclops was the Chicken Suit Guy, or my 2 year old running around got me confused, because we were pretty sure I was gonna get a Chicken Suit Guy but oh well.

Anyway I also picked up the Batman vs. Mr. Freeze. That should be a fun quick build. Saw they had a bunch of Winter Cottages marked down to $79.99.

Too bad no Post Offices were left.

Rhaegar

Picked up Quinjet Battle from my local Target on clearance for $49, spending the rest of my Christmas gift money in the process (for the 3rd time, I think)

I blame PhoncipleBone's glowing review.

Picked up Quinjet Battle from my local Target on clearance for $49, spending the rest of my Christmas gift money in the process (for the 3rd time, I think)

I blame PhoncipleBone's glowing review.
And Ghostmind's as well.

And at last...the ssd is complete. A magnificent beast. Truly magnificent.

ghostmind

Are those polybags a certain store exclusive or where is my best chance at finding them (no LEGO store near me)?

The LEGO store is going to be the last place you find these, except for the Spring Scene, which I'm betting is the March or April monthly incentive. The rest usually turn up at TRU, Target or Walmart - best advice is to keep up with this thread as someone here will report in when/where they find them.

R-User!

A_0kd7FCMAEa0kH.jpg

No, but I slowly took it off the coffee table and put it on it's display table right by the Imperial Shuttle.

Sincere question: will you permanently display the SSD in that location? It looks like it almost blocks your view of the TV... Has your wife seen it yet? What does she think? I think it looks fantastic right there by the way!

Sincere question: will you permanently display the SSD in that location? It looks like it almost blocks you view of the TV... Has your wife seen it yet? What does she think?
Oh, no. I only built it there over the last three nights. And in front of my wife.
There is a small desk by the windows that I cleared off to display it. I have the Imperial Shuttle there, and the SSD underneath it. It actually works quite well. If I am eyeing the rest of the space on the desk, I might be able to squeeze the B Wing behind them. Maybe.

And r2 has a spot on top of the speaker as you can see. Death Star on the subwoofer.

R-User!

Oh, no. I only built it there over the last three nights. And in front of my wife.
There is a small desk by the windows that I cleared off to display it. I have the Imperial Shuttle there, and the SSD underneath it. It actually works quite well. If I am eyeing the rest of the space on the desk, I might be able to squeeze the B Wing behind them. Maybe.

And r2 has a spot on top of the speaker as you can see. Death Star on the subwoofer.

I have my modified Bag End on my subwoofer right now :)

I agree. I think the SSD is cool, but as far as comparing the two UCS builds, I think the Star Destroyer looks better.

Regular Star Destroyer is definitely the better looking ship. I want the UCS of it, but it's too much and from word of mouth it is too fragile. I really hope they do a new one at some point and make it as solid as the SSD is.

I wonder how big the SSD would be if it was 1:1 and minifig scale...
Well, the info plate lists it has a crew of over 280,000...

Regular Star Destroyer is definitely the better looking ship. I want the UCS of it, but it's too much and from word of mouth it is too fragile. I really hope they do a new one at some point and make it as solid as the SSD is.

Well it's not like you're going to move or play with it =) It's sturdy enough to display. It's been sitting on a small table upstairs since I built it and is probably my favorite LEGO display so far.

Well it's not like you're going to move or play with it =) It's sturdy enough to display. It's been sitting on a small table upstairs since I built it and is probably my favorite LEGO display so far.
That set in particular looks the most like a high end model of the ship. Even more so than the Imperial Shuttle does.

That set in particular looks the most like a high end model of the ship. Even more so than the Imperial Shuttle does.

I'd think there might be a case for the UCS Falcon. That's one that I could never justify spending the money on but at the same time regret letting it go. I really really wish I got that when it was in print, even if just to flip it.

Chuck

Still without luck
That made me want to look at nerdy ship scale charts:

I think your image dun goof'd. So I guess the scale of a 1.5 inch minifig to the average 5'6 human height would be 1:44.

That means a SSD in true minifig scale would be 431 meters long, which would be a little bit longer than 4 and a half football fields joined together.

edit: incorrect info, adjusting

Ok, so I guess minifigs are scaled to 6 feet. That would make the scale 1:48. This would make the model 395 meters long, or 4.3 football fields. :p

Top Bottom