• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO GAF |OT2|: Building Dreams. Demolishing Wallets

Haha, well there you go! Those are actually pretty great value. Will have to find these somewhere in the UK, are they all still available?

They're all still in production, and you can find them easily on store shelves in the U.S., so I'd think they'd be readily available across the pond as well.

ghostmind

It just went out of print as well. If you can find it, snag it. Same with Apple Tree House. But Hillside comes with a sound brick that plays a doorbell sound.

*DING DONG.... BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK*

repeat x100

oh god

On another note, glad that I waited on MindStorms... the EV3 kit looks amazing!

Just done some quick googling and it looks like they're £20 each here, Around $32. Still a good price?

It really just depends on how many of the minifigs you want from each set and whether the rest of the set has any value to you. Just doing a quick search on Bricklink, it looks like it would cost nearly $20 to get Wolvy, Deadpool, and Magneto alone in the U.S. So it's a no-brainer for us.

Picked up 3 Series 9 minifigs today, my first try this series.

I felt out a Space Alien Marine and then went blind(ish) for 2 others. I got another Space Alien Marine and a Mermaid.

Any tips on aiming for the Robot, Plumber and Chicken suit guy? Any rubber parts? I thought I actually had one of the Robot as I had the chest plate but it was a Marine.

Rootbeer

Banned
Target was rearranging their ENTIRE LEGO shelf today and I didn't have time to wait around, hopefully tomorrow they'll have series 9! Hoping for some TMNT and Chima too, there's some holes in my collection I need to fill and impulse LEGO buys are my vice.

Is there no official Lego store in your area?

Lego stores are pretty spread out here in the U.S., they're only in about half the states. Even having one in your state doesn't mean it is close.

I thankfully got one real close to me (15 minutes away from my house) just last summer. Before that, the closest one was probably a 7 hour drive away.

RichardAM

Kwanzaagator
I picked up two ogre cyclops my first go by accident. Really keen for the Forestbabe fig, but all the good female figs are easily found by the dress brick or in the mermaid's case, her tail.

Ironmask

LEGO shelves after christmas are so depressing.... 4 or 5 lame sets at full price, and even Amazon isn't helpful at this time of the year...

R-User!

Picked up 3 Series 9 minifigs today, my first try this series.

I felt out a Space Alien Marine and then went blind(ish) for 2 others. I got another Space Alien Marine and a Mermaid.

Any tips on aiming for the Robot, Plumber and Chicken suit guy? Any rubber parts? I thought I actually had one of the Robot as I had the chest plate but it was a Marine.

Chicken suit you can find the torso, and the arms will have bumps/ridges; which are the wings. Chicken helmet has a "hole" in it which leads to bumps on top and below ( both of those bumps are the red colored portions of the "helmet".

Plumber too easy: An actual RUBBER plunger tip: squeeze bag parts and release for boyancy.

Orange Robot Mech: well, middle of the chest armor has 3 little ridges that can be felt by using you fingernail to feel a "click,click,click" as you drag your nail over the center-front of his chest plate. And the shoulders of the chest plate are more narrow and longer than the Space Marine!

I need some help deciding on my next set. Volkwagon Camper, Pet Store or Grand Emporium? The camper looks like a really fun build. I only have one other modular (Town Hall) so I was thinking if I get the Emporium then I will have two corner buildings after I get Palace Cinema. I feel like I've heard quite a few of you say the Emporium isn't that great of build though. Thanks everyone.

I need some help deciding on my next set. Volkwagon Camper, Pet Store or Grand Emporium? The camper looks like a really fun build. I only have one other modular (Town Hall) so I was thinking if I get the Emporium then I will have two corner buildings after I get Palace Cinema. I feel like I've heard quite a few of you say the Emporium isn't that great of build though. Thanks everyone.

I've only built Fire Brigade and Emporium and I'd rank them both the same: great. The main floor of the Emporium was one of my favourite builds ever...I think the stone work is more clever than the FB second floor....loved it.

The VW Camper is great but I find the stickers a huge turn off.

KingGondo

Banned
The VW Camper is probably my favorite build to date (maybe outside of the mini modulars). Lots of neat details like the camper shell, engine, gas and brake pedals... I can go on. It's just a lot of fun to put together.

For the record, in the last year the decent-sized sets I bought are the Fire Brigade (great build) and the Mines of Moria (meh build, great minifigs though).

The camper is surprisingly detailed, looks great on a shelf (yes, even in an adult's house :p) and people are always genuinely surprised when they realize it's Lego. It took me a good 10 hours to build, too.

The VW Camper is probably my favorite build to date (maybe outside of the mini modulars). Lots of neat details like the camper shell, engine, gas and brake pedals... I can go on. It's just a lot of fun to put together.

For the record, in the last year the decent-sized sets I bought are the Fire Brigade (great build) and the Mines of Moria (meh build, great minifigs though).

The camper is surprisingly detailed, looks great on a shelf (yes, even in an adult's house :p) and people are always genuinely surprised when they realize it's Lego. It took me a good 10 hours to build, too.

I've only built Fire Brigade and Emporium and I'd rank them both the same: great. The main floor of the Emporium was one of my favourite builds ever...I think the stone work is more clever than the FB second floor....loved it.

The VW Camper is great but I find the stickers a huge turn off.

Thanks guys. Sounds like the VW is great even with the stickers which usually is a big turn off for me. Main reason I've passed on The Mines of Moria.

Blah, my Arkham Asylum was missing a bunch of bricks in bag 8. Luckily I had some spare pieces that matched from other sets, but it still sucked.

WHEW! We just got back from an amazing 2-week vacation in San Diego. Stayed with my brother who lives in Carlsbad. Yes. That's right. The Carlsbad where LegoLand California is located!!! Didn't buy too much merchandise, but I took over 100 photos which are currently taking forever to upload to Flickr. When the uploading is complete, I'll start posting some of the better ones along with comments. For now, I'm just happy to catch up in this thread. You guys have been busy!

King Theoden:
For builds and glory!

Aragorn:
For our LEGO's!
"There will be no dawn for wallets..."
ttt0950.jpg

Maybe it's supposed to be an exclusive VIP kinda cinema ...thing... or something ;)
Haha! While I was in San Diego, my brother introduced me to Cinepolis, a chain of luxury theaters that was pretty awesome. We saw "The Hobbit" and the theater looked pretty much like the LEGO Palace Cinema (which looks AWESOME, btw).

Oh, and 10237 The Tower of Orthanc is the real deal. Details TBA.
I'm conflicted on this one. I've got my own Orthanc MOC on Cuusoo, but I've pretty much accepted that it's simply too many pieces to become a mainstream set. I'd love to see a good official model from LEGO, but the "rumored" blurry photo that has been posted here shows a kind of stubby-looking tower that looks too squat. Hopefully, the proportions are correct and not as shown in the blurry photo.

Some of you may recall that last February I discovered some of my old LEGO sets and built them. This was the first time I'd touched LEGO in decades.

The first set I built from my childhood was this:

I closed my post with the phrase "...and I'm hooked again".

This was meant as a joke. A JOKE.

Lego Gaf you are the worst. First it was the minifigs. Why start out with series 6 when you can probably find series 5-8?

As long as we're spending a ridiculous amount of money on children's toys, why not finish up with series 2 - 4?

For now...for now we're going to pretend that series 1 doesn't exist.

So that's nice right? A good chance to spend some money on children's toys and bond with the kids right? It's not like we need to buy any full sets this year right?

Nope.

Damn you, Lego GAF. Ghostmind, Flix, Bone, PizaTheHut...and all the rest of you...you've ruined me. The plans I have for 2013 are offensively LEGO-driven. I'm married to a divorce lawyer and I fear she's getting ready to bring her work home with her.

Happy New Year folks...2013 stands a good chance of ruining me.
Haha! I shouldn't have told you about Lasting Toys! And I had that same space set when I was a kid. My mom kept all of our old LEGO and the only instruction booklet that survived was that ship. So I scrounged through the bin of old LEGO and re-built the ship, along with my childhood memories. Shortly after, a single tear rolled down my cheek...

wetwired

TMNT is now on Shop@Home. Now lets play the fun game where we reveal how much Australians are getting raped on prices again....

Kraang Lab Escape USD$12.99 AUD$22.99
Shredder's Dragon USD$24.99 AUD$39.99
Stealth Shell in Pursuit USD$19.99 AUD$$39.99
Turtle Lair Attack USD$49.99 AUD$79.99
The Shellraiser Street Chase USD$59.99 AUD$99.99
Baxter Robot Rampage USD$39.99 AUD$69.99

Currently $1 AUD= $1.05 USD

Is there no official Lego store in your area? I now figured out where one is in my vicinity... Will head there next week or so purely to grab Series 9 figs and try the PAB wall feature ;) though it is like a one hour drive...
Here in CT, no stores. Lego hq is twenty minutes away, but the closest store is 90 minutes away in MA.

I just finished entering a list of 148 different pieces that I need in various amounts to build 40 custom minifigs. It's gonna be interesting to see how many I can get from a single store.

Is there a way to check off ordered pieces from the wanted list automatically on Bricklink?

Okay, finally got my LegoLand photos uploaded. I'm gonna start with Star Wars:

The park had a fairly large area dedicated to Star Wars. There were, I believe, 7 dioramas, each roughly about 400 square feet in area, and each one dedicated to each of the movies plus one dedicated to the Clone Wars. You can get an idea of the massive scale of these models simply by the people in the background and by the studs on the models. Here are a few of my favorites. Images are quoted for size and more pics can be found on the first 5-6 pages on my Flickr account.

This is probably my all-time favorite Star Wars vehicle in a classic ESB pose. There was another AT-AT standing up beside it that had Luke going up and down on a motorized grappling line from the ground to its belly.

And you thought that the UCS Falcon was massive? That's not a Falcon. THIS is a Falcon...

Here's one of Phonciple's favorites. It looked SO good next to the shield generator dish amongst the trees.

Theed Palace would've looked amazing enough on its own, but they went the extra mile and put it on top of a real working waterfall. Awesome...
More pics to come!

Okay, finally got my LegoLand photos uploaded. I'm gonna start with Star Wars:

The park had a fairly large area dedicated to Star Wars. There were, I believe, 7 dioramas, each roughly about 400 square feet in area, and each one dedicated to each of the movies plus one dedicated to the Clone Wars. You can get an idea of the massive scale of these models simply by the people in the background and by the studs on the models. Here are a few of my favorites. Images are quoted for size and more pics can be found on the first 5-6 pages on my Flickr account.

This is probably my all-time favorite Star Wars vehicle in a classic ESB pose. There was another AT-AT standing up beside it that had Luke going up and down on a motorized grappling line from the ground to its belly.

And you thought that the UCS Falcon was massive? That's not a Falcon. THIS is a Falcon...

Here's one of Phonciple's favorites. It looked SO good next to the shield generator dish amongst the trees.

Theed Palace would've looked amazing enough on its own, but they went the extra mile and put it on top of a real working waterfall. Awesome...

More pics to come!

Which Legoland is this?

Just finished building up the last of my old sets from about 10 years ago!

kV1NF.jpg

Seems the Spiderman minifig sells for £15, the other minifigs are nice (Peter Parker and the director that looks like Spielberg) but worth next to nothing. Surprised I hadn't lost the backplate for Spiderman.

Now to get onto some new sets!

Milchjon

Just finished building up the last of my old sets from about 10 years ago!

kV1NF.jpg

Seems the Spiderman minifig sells for £15, the other minifigs are nice (Peter Parker and the director that looks like Spielberg) but worth next to nothing. Surprised I hadn't lost the backplate for Spiderman.

Now to get onto some new sets!

Awwww, man, I always wanted that. Wanted to shoot my own movies.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Got the A-Wing today. Very fun build for only @25. Will look great next to the other ships. I really do need to get the Y-Wing at some point to complete my set.

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
Here in CT, no stores. Lego hq is twenty minutes away, but the closest store is 90 minutes away in MA.

I feel your pain Bone. I live in WV 3 hours to DC, which has the closest LEGO Store. I wish they would put one in Harrisonburg VA or Morgantown WV. That would only be 1.5 or 2 hours. I actually travel there about once a month. Does anyone know what the requirements are for LEGO to put in a retail store? Population requirements?

I love the AT-AT, but am I being nitpicky for thinking that Falcon has too many visible SOT? They could use some flat plates.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
A-Wing pissed Hagrid off for some reason.

j4Xzx.jpg

This is the first set I have not applied all the stickers. There's too many, and it looks fine without them. I just put a few of them on.

Two questions for all of you:

1) Asked before, but still curious if anyone has a 10% coupon they want to part with?

2) Any other CT or MA people here that would want to meet up to trek to the Lego store in ma? It is such a long drive for me, I was wondering if anyone else that doesn't get to a store often would like to carpool sometime soon.

You're lucky, Phonc. I could easily do a 6-hour round trip in a day, but being 4 hours away from the closest one is just too far.

Speaking of...anything good in the Kansas City PAB Wall?

Two questions for all of you:

1) Asked before, but still curious if anyone has a 10% coupon they want to part with?

2) Any other CT or MA people here that would want to meet up to trek to the Lego store in ma? It is such a long drive for me, I was wondering if anyone else that doesn't get to a store often would like to carpool sometime soon.

I figure I should probably part with mine, just having quit my job and all. If the temptation is gone maybe I won't buy any! PM me your details.

Fantomex

This is a first.... what do I do if you get a set that's missing a piece?

Call them or fill out their online form. 7-10 for them to ship to you.

I have to say, this month I've heard about missing pieces more than I did all last year combined from people. What's going on?

Top Bottom