• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO GAF |OT2|: Building Dreams. Demolishing Wallets

Buying sets to resell later sounds very neat and all, but there is just a gut feeling I have about it being a bad idea in the end. The notion of getting so much money back on the investment is tempting, but I can't help but feel that the market for this will crash in a few years much like the comic market did back in the 90s. You get a flood of people jumping into the investment game because they see the crazy money being made on it, but then you get to the point where there are so many people buying them and hoarding them just to resell later that they lose so much value.

Buying sets to resell later sounds very neat and all, but there is just a gut feeling I have about it being a bad idea in the end. The notion of getting so much money back on the investment is tempting, but I can't help but feel that the market for this will crash in a few years much like the comic market did back in the 90s. You get a flood of people jumping into the investment game because they see the crazy money being made on it, but then you get to the point where there are so many people buying them and hoarding them just to resell later that they lose so much value.

my main concern is that I will have problems actually making myself sell the sets if I dont have to...
especially if they are in mint condition :p

fatty

Made my first 2013 impulse LEGO purchase yesterday. I was looking for little Friends set as present for friends's daugter and saw discounted polybag with 20018 AT-AT Walker. Never bought polybags before but that was really nice little build for $6.

vCW3S.jpg

Where did you find that? I'm not into Star Wars but that is pretty cool.

As I sit here and watch Empire Strikes Back, I am reminded of how awesome the Imperial Probe Droid is. We need a new, fancy set for him.

Oh, and we still need an UCS AT-AT. Now. Please.

Crizume

Neo Member
Bilbo: "Welcome! Welcome! Come in, come in!"

This is what what scares me.

Over the past week and a half the tally's up to like $600 maybe more...scared to count.
And the "family trip" to downtown disney (aka lego store) only fueled my want for the death star even more after seeing it in person. (Not crazy, liked them as a kid but not a diehard fan, for star wars series but that thing is a work of art)

I can only get away with its for the kid for so long.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
What's above the Slave 1? I remember having a toy like that when I was little.

FX-6 Medical Assistant Droid from Episode III. There's the FX-7 from Episode V which you probably had which is similar.

Apparently there was a vote on starwars.com in 2006 for the next LEGO UCS model. The other 3 contenders were:

I'm guessing the AT-AT won, since we got http://www.brickset.com/detail/?Set=10178-1 in 2007. And that R2-D2 sure looks familiar now :) But took 6 years to get released.

R-User!

This is what what scares me.

Over the past week and a half the tally's up to like $600 maybe more...scared to count.
And the "family trip" to downtown disney (aka lego store) only fueled my want for the death star even more after seeing it in person. (Not crazy, liked them as a kid but not a diehard fan, for star wars series but that thing is a work of art)

I can only get away with its for the kid for so long.

One word: "Investments"

Well my folks got me a small set for Christmas as a sort of novelty as I used to get one every year when I was younger. It was enough to get me searching through cupboards to find my old sets and build them up again...I think I'm hooked all over again.

Mr Mike

1 million Canadian dollars
I have scoured that image a few times - it's set concepts like this (below) that interest me. The big kid in me finds them more appealing/sees more value. (Reflected in my owning both the Death Star and the Arkham Asylum sets.) And I often get bored of owning 'just more vehicles'.

Yavin (love the little award ceremony space in this, plus the hanger and guard outpost!)
Screen_shot_2013_01_07_at_01_06_03.png

Kasyyyk Battle
Screen_shot_2013_01_07_at_01_08_10.png

?????
Screen_shot_2013_01_07_at_01_08_44.png

Also, is it weird that I instantly recognised the guy in the cap in the foreground as the British chap who co-designed the R2D2 UCS?

Nitemare1

Built my A-Wing tonight. Here's a comparison of it tucked neatly into the wing of the X-Wing in case anyone wanted to get a rough size idea without getting their hands on one first!

AwingXwing1_zpsc42a19d4.jpg

Still haven't decided if I'm going to apply the stickers. What a mess of stickers for such a small model!

neonglow

Thanks!

lego_lotr_closeup.jpg

To the right you can see Helm's Deep and Orthanc, but I'm wondering what's on the left side.

Early Orc's Forge and Escape from Mirkwood Forest? A micro build of Lothlorien?

I'd love to get shelving like that with the glass to keep the dust out. It must be expensive.

Apparently the plan for Year 2 of Alien Conquest was the ADU taking the fight to the aliens' planet.

Early prototypes:

1guxu.jpg

F3HH7.jpg

pARnZ.jpg

I loved the whole 50s sci fi aesthetic of the series. I never got all of them, but always admired them.

EDIT: Ehhhh. Not really digging that bottom model. I think it is the blue and orange combination like that that just looks off.

ghostmind

I loved the whole 50s sci fi aesthetic of the series. I never got all of them, but always admired them.

EDIT: Ehhhh. Not really digging that bottom model. I think it is the blue and orange combination like that that just looks off.

Agreed. I guess the original concept had all the ADU (ADF) vehicles in orange - glad they went with the Classic Space blue.

W38gH.jpg

You ended too soon, Alien Conquest, but you live on with the Galaxy Squad.

Is that a UCS Venator Class ship in the bottom right? I don't think we've seen that before.

Possibly.

I am still drooling over the UCS Snow Speeder. I had seen pics before, but seeing just how massive it is makes me want to actually brick link something for the first time.

Also, I am thinking it is time for me to take down my lil dogfight of the X-Wing, TIE Fighter, and Y-Wing. I am running out of space, and want to display more stuff that is coming out. The SSD ate up TONS of room, and the smaller fighters have been up since they released almost a year ago. They had a good run.

Built my A-Wing tonight. Here's a comparison of it tucked neatly into the wing of the X-Wing in case anyone wanted to get a rough size idea without getting their hands on one first!

AwingXwing1_zpsc42a19d4.jpg

Still haven't decided if I'm going to apply the stickers. What a mess of stickers for such a small model!

Great pic. Thanks for that. I'm looking forward to picking this up. Still need the Y-Wing also.

Thanks!

lego_lotr_closeup.jpg

To the right you can see Helm's Deep and Orthanc, but I'm wondering what's on the left side.

Early Orc's Forge and Escape from Mirkwood Forest? A micro build of Lothlorien?

Is that a Balrog at the bottom left? Left half of it, with a wide stance and left wing visible over the body.

Philia

I've built the Robie house.

The large number of batches of tiny pieces are in there. There were 5 bags of red 2x1s and two bags of red square studs. Its pretty crazy, but I can get it after "stacking" them like actual bricks which is neat.

So now I ask, is this normal for architecture sets? To have a LOT of small pieces?

Top Bottom