• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO GAF |OT2|: Building Dreams. Demolishing Wallets

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I love the AT-AT, but am I being nitpicky for thinking that Falcon has too many visible SOT? They could use some flat plates.

Once legoland models get to a certain size, they start to look like they are carved out of a giant lump of lego - they probably use a CAD program to design it. I'm not personally a fan of the look - seems too artificial and not enough artistic interpretation. Plus it's all studdy like you said.

I live 5 minutes from Legoland Windsor, but unfortunately their shop isn't an official Lego one, so no VIP points or discounts. I end up heading into London instead.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
https://service.lego.com/en-US/replacementparts/#BasicInfo

LEGO is really good about replacing a missing piece and quickly too!

Yup. My Millennium Falcon set a year or so ago was missing nearly all its minifigs (someone had clearly taken them out and returned the box to the store), and LEGO sent all 30 or so pieces I was missing for free and with no questions asked. That extra price you pay is well worth it when you experience their customer service.

Which set?

yeah don't tell me it's a Superheroes Set, i keep hearing a lot of complaints about those lately hmm..

Also: What ARE the advantages of a having a Lego store near you? I am asking this because i am planning a trip to one that's an hour away and don't wanna miss anything. Besides the PAB wall (which also exists online i am told) you might as well order everything online and get the same prices correct? Or is there anything else i am missing here besides the obvious fun factor in getting to look at all the sets/bricks in person and then pick something?

yeah don't tell me it's a Superheroes Set, i keep hearing a lot of complaints about those lately hmm..

Also: What ARE the advantages of a having a Lego store near you? I am asking this because i am planning a trip to one that's an hour away and don't wanna miss anything. Besides the PAB wall (which also exists online i am told) you might as well order everything online and get the same prices correct? Or is there anything else i am missing here besides the obvious fun factor in getting to look at all the sets/bricks in person and then pick something?

PAB online and in store is very different. Online you can choose from nearly anything, but you pay per piece. In stores you are at the mercy of whatever selection they have, but it is by volume instead of per brick. If you are good, you can cram $50 or more worth of bricks into a $15 cup. It is all about how well you can stuff the cups before leaving.
The walls also sometimes have very random finds. The one time I went they had dark gray 6x16 plates on there. You bet I grabbed a ton of those, as those dont show up in many sets, and go for $2 a pop on the PAB site. So yeah, I got my moneys worth out of that cup. I think I crammed ten or so plates into the cup, and then a few hundred 1x1 clear tiles.

PAB online and in store is very different. Online you can choose from nearly anything, but you pay per piece. In stores you are at the mercy of whatever selection they have, but it is by volume instead of per brick. If you are good, you can cram $50 or more worth of bricks into a $15 cup. It is all about how well you can stuff the cups before leaving.
The walls also sometimes have very random finds. The one time I went they had dark gray 6x16 plates on there. You bet I grabbed a ton of those, as those dont show up in many sets, and go for $2 a pop on the PAB site. So yeah, I got my moneys worth out of that cup. I think I crammed ten or so plates into the cup, and then a few hundred 1x1 clear tiles.

:eek: I am jealous of the amazing pick a brick haul. I need to make a field trip to one of the MA lego stores before school starts..... The one I visited in CA had nothing interesing in the pick a brick wall so i just bought mirkwood spiders.....

:eek: I am jealous of the amazing pick a brick haul. I need to make a field trip to one of the MA lego stores before school starts..... The one I visited in CA had nothing interesing in the pick a brick wall so i just bought mirkwood spiders.....

I am trekking to one of the MA stores soon. Hoping they have a good PAB selection there, as that one time I went to one (Disney World store) they had a nice variety. The biggest steals were those plates and tons of 1x8 white bricks. When my wife went to a store in Chicago she got me over a hundred 1x8 white bricks, 70 or so 2x2 dark tan tiles, and over 100 red seats. Not to mention lots of clear plates and picket fence pieces.

beje

Banned
I am trekking to one of the MA stores soon. Hoping they have a good PAB selection there, as that one time I went to one (Disney World store) they had a nice variety. The biggest steals were those plates and tons of 1x8 white bricks. When my wife went to a store in Chicago she got me over a hundred 1x8 white bricks, 70 or so 2x2 dark tan tiles, and over 100 red seats. Not to mention lots of clear plates and picket fence pieces.

Blergh, I wish we had such things in Spain. I need dozens of 1x? white/tan/grey bricks to project houses and bricklinking them would result in paying more shipping than bricks in the end.

It's the clear pieces I'm reallllly jealous of. The clear ones were the most fun as a kid. I don't even have any MOC plans. that shit would just become a family heirloom.

Maybe when Orthanc comes out I'll go buy it in person. the 5 bucks or so round trip fare would be cheaper than shipping for sure.

It's the clear pieces I'm reallllly jealous of. The clear ones were the most fun as a kid. I don't even have any MOC plans. that shit would just become a family heirloom.

Maybe when Orthanc comes out I'll go buy it in person. the 5 bucks or so round trip fare would be cheaper than shipping for sure.

Trying to budget how much I will spend on my trip to the store. Gas alone will be like $15. But hopefully they have a good PAB wall and I can go plum crazy with it. That is the part I am most excited about.

Trying to budget how much I will spend on my trip to the store. Gas alone will be like $15. But hopefully they have a good PAB wall and I can go plum crazy with it. That is the part I am most excited about.

Yeah, I want to go to the store asap simply out of enthusiasm, but if I'm buying orthanc I reaaaaaaally shouldn't buy any other toys in the meantime. I'd love to go for the pick a brick wall because it sounds fun, but it's kind of far to go for just that. I do feel lucky to have two Lego stores just barely within the reach of public transportation though.

Rootbeer

Banned
Everyone seen the news?

Multiplatform LEGO Marvel Super Heroes game On the Way

With over 100 unlockable characters from the likes of Spider-Man, the Avengers, Fantastic Four, X-Men, Guardians of the Galaxy or scores of others, it includes the largest number marvel characters ever together in one game.

http://marvel.com/news/story/19916/lego_marvel_super_heroes_on_the_way

Pretty much confirms we'll be seeing plenty more Marvel sets in the coming years, but that shouldn't be a shocker. I'm really happy with the PC port of LEGO LotR now that they use Steamworks. I know what platform I'll be getting this on!

A guy on reddit posted a letter that his 9 year old cousin wrote to LEGO:

xcSBP.jpg

I never noticed this and can't unsee now. Weird it's not like that in the video game.

Everyone seen the news?

With over 100 unlockable characters from the likes of Spider-Man, the Avengers, Fantastic Four, X-Men, Guardians of the Galaxy or scores of others, it includes the largest number marvel characters ever together in one game.

Pretty much confirms we'll be seeing plenty more Marvel sets in the coming years, but that shouldn't be a shocker. I'm really happy with the PC port of LEGO LotR now that they use Steamworks. I know what platform I'll be getting this on!

Great news. I think Lego Batman 2 is easily the best lego game mainly because it isn't tied to a movie. I hope a Lego Marvel game follows the same open world design.

Everyone seen the news?

Story confirms iron man 3 sets.

Is there any place other than online I can find a better than crappy selection of polybags? Checked my local Targets and Walmart and they're both jank.

xcSBP.jpg

I never noticed this and can't unsee now. Weird it's not like that in the video game.

Noticed that myself when I did the Frodo polybag. Can't unsee it now.

I wish they'd give Sam a backpack too! Samwise needs his salts and Elvish rope!

LEGO related: I finally went to Legoland Florida a few weeks ago and it was pretty cool. My kids actually said they liked it better than Disney! Here are a few pics. And the rest of the album, as long as you don't mind seeing pics of my family and me, haha.

Is it me or are the walkways to get on/off the AT-AT transports completely out of scale with Vader and the officer?

Posted this on my blog about the visit to one of the few dedicated Lego shops in Sweden:

Finding cool Lego stuff can be a bit tricky if you live in Sweden. There are no official Lego Stores, so it’s usually crammed together with any old toys, although usually in a prominent place. Places that are actually dedicated to Lego are few and far between. I’ve recently heard about Brixit in Örebro, and apparently Lego has a dedicated space at Åhlens City in Stockholm, but the one I visited this Christmas is quite something.

HB Adventure is a store/Lego museum created by Hans Brettschneider after his winning of Robinson Karibien (a 2009-2010 spinoff of the Swedish Survivor TV series). Situated on a backstreet near the center of Skellefteå, it’s a fairly small location but packed to the brim with Lego, buyable sets and glassed displays anywhere you look. Hans is particularly into Star Wars Lego, so there’s a ton of that. It’s hard not to notice the gigantic Millennium Falcon display at the entrance, but around the store you can also find most of the UCS collectible Star Wars sets with all the major spaceships, a Darth Maul bust, the awesome R2-D2, custom displays of the Hoth battle, the Endor Battle and a huge Tatooine scene, as well as a collection of every single commercially released Star Wars set sorted by year, going back to 1999. I didn’t spot the biggest version of the Super Star Destroyer, but apart from that they’re all present and accounted for.

Other than Star Wars the main room offers a few classic Town sets, a big Space monorail display, a generic Castle display with dragons and stuff, as well as a few minor displays below the main ones. There’s also loads of Ninjago, some more obscure sets like Toy Story and Mickey Mouse, as well as a small MOC homage to Hans’ adventures in Robinson.

Passing the wall of regular sets for sale, you also pass another display case which has many of the Architecture series as well as two huge Pirates of the Caribbean ships. On top of the Star Wars series displays there’s also the Tower Bridge which is quite impressive. This area leads to the back room which has a mix of sets for sale but is mostly filled with displays. All of the Indiana Jones Lego is here, as well as all of the Harry Potter sets and some cool builds like the Statue of Liberty, Taj Mahal and the Space Shuttle. The main street with the modular buildings (five of them) finally gave me a good look at them in real life, but I managed to resist buying the Pet Shop which was the only one they had for sale.

There’s also an extended Helm’s Deep display in this area and a winter village, as well as a MOC cabinet which has the local bus, a really impressive water tower (right) designed after a local one, and some random things. Tucked into a corner is also a few classic sets like the yellow Castle castle and a police station.

Even with loads of pictures it’s hard to even take in the entire place. I could probably spend hours there just looking closer at all the sets. I also haven’t mentioned the minifig drawers with most of the collectible sets available, as well as some random spare parts. As mentioned, it’s not an official Lego Store so it doesn’t have quite as much stuff for sale, but on the other hand it’s a fascinating place to visit for all the displays.

It was probably partly due to the season, but there were loads of visitors while I was there, so they seem to be doing just fine. Overall slightly better prices than the general toy stores also help, but unfortunately they can’t compare to online or US retail, obviously. I got the “The Unexpected Gathering” set since I always wanted a Lego version of Bag End, as well as a few loose minifigs. If you’re ever in the vicinity and have any kind of interest in Lego, it’s well worth a visit. If nothing else, it certainly rekindled my interest back when I first saw it…

You can find the shop at hbadventure.se (in Swedish). The builder of the water tower also has some cool interior pictures here (it’s built as a modular).

R-User!

I'm hoping you "build" you pieces into the cup! Do you press pieces together to build towers/columns before loading the cup?

I found the process off filling the holiday pick-a-brick boxes a very fun and fulfilling experience; basically I build a cube!

Those boxes were 9 bricks tall by 11 studs wide! Equivalent to about 544 1x2 bricks!

The shoe thing on the hobbit minifigs is going to drive me freakin' crazy now. THANKS KID

I have the most ridiculous backlog at the moment. Still haven't really spent any time with the Death Star or Jabba's Palace, but for some reason it seemed like a good idea to snag the Haunted House when I went to the LEGO store for the Rancor and they didn't have it. Yep, I rewarded their lack of stock by tripling my spending. :p

R-User!

Don't forget to ask if they have any unique parts in the back! My store had some parts that were not in the pick-a-brick wall and they brought them out for me to look at... :) I didn't take the parts ( wrong color), but I appreciated the effort anyway!

R-User!

Everyone seen the news?

Hmm...
Disney/Marvel/LEGO?

Hmm...
Disney/Marvel/LEGO?

What's more funny is that the Marvel game is being published by WB Games, a subsidiary of Warner Brothers, which owns DC Comics.

There were also some rumors a few months ago about Disney possibly pursuing the Hasbro toy company (Transformers, G.I. Joe, current license holder for Marvel toys, etc.).

What's more funny is that the Marvel game is being published by WB Games, a subsidiary of Warner Brothers, which owns DC Comics.

There were also some rumors a few months ago about Disney possibly pursuing the Hasbro toy company (Transformers, G.I. Joe, current license holder for Marvel toys, etc.).

Of course, the relationship for future Star Wars games isn't much different now. ;p Those are certainly some strange bedfellows, though.

R-User!

xcSBP.jpg

Has there been printing on the feet of a minifig? Or is the color brown a "print" effect in and of itself?

Or, has LEGO ever made detailed feet before?

Fake edit: nm, looking at my evil knight minifig, and yes, LEGO has done and could do detailed printing of minifigs knees and the front of their toes if not the top of the little ridge representing the tops of the hobbits toes...

They really just need to take a closer look at how they're dealing with the legs on shorter fantasy characters from LotR. They are basically an afterthought at the moment and that's pretty disappointing. Shorties need to be able to sit, too.

Naka

Has there been printing on the feet of a minifig? Or is the color brown a "print" effect in and of itself?

Fake edit: nm, looking at my evil knight minifig, and yes, LEGO has done and could do detailed printing of minifigs knees and the front of their toes if not the top of the little ridge representing the tops of the hobbits toes...

I have at least 50 minifigs at my desk here at work and the only one that really has anything on its feet is the diver from series 8. Everything else is pretty much solid color.

LEGO-Minifigures-Series-8-Diver.jpg

Took a lot of self control to not buy the Bug Obliterator yesterday, but I did pick up the Swarm Interceptor; sweet little ship, I love the rotating cockpit.

I have some pics of it but my computer is being stupid and not recognizing my USB ports.

I have at least 50 minifigs at my desk here at work and the only one that really has anything on its feet is the diver from series 8. Everything else is pretty much solid color.

LEGO-Minifigures-Series-8-Diver.jpg

Maybe they're talking about the fact that the Hobbits do NOT feature special different colored parts to display their "feet" ? I just looked at my Frodo figure and it's just plain brown throughout for the bottom part like a regular minifig so... Do we assume that regular minifigs wear "pants" then? or pants and shoes with the same color? Or are they naked and their legs and feet are supposed to be green, red or whatever color they come in?

questions questions hmmm...

[ig]http://cdn.thebrickblogger.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/LEGO-Minifigures-Series-8-Diver.jpg[/img]

The Hobbit minifigs have the shorter non movable legs. Has there ever been printing on that part?

R-User!

The Hobbit minifigs have the shorter non movable legs. Has there ever been printing on that part?

I haven't seen any, and all Minifigs with short legs I have are all one color pieces...

Also, where does that 10% off coupon come from? The LEGO catalog if you're a VIP?

I'm hoping you "build" you pieces into the cup! Do you press pieces together to build towers/columns before loading the cup?

I found the process off filling the holiday pick-a-brick boxes a very fun and fulfilling experience; basically I build a cube!

Those boxes were 9 bricks tall by 11 studs wide! Equivalent to about 544 1x2 bricks!

I know a few of us have done that before.

Apparently, I don't have any pics of my cups from this past summer. But, yeah, we use the stacking method, too.

I love it when they use packing tape to keep the lid on. :D

Don't forget to ask if they have any unique parts in the back! My store had some parts that were not in the pick-a-brick wall and they brought them out for me to look at... :) I didn't take the parts ( wrong color), but I appreciated the effort anyway!
Nice tip. Thanks.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

9x11 hmm? That's handy to work from.

R-User!

9x11 hmm? That's handy to work from.

Sarcasm?

I know a few of us have done that before.

Apparently, I don't have any pics of my cups from this past summer. But, yeah, we use the stacking method, too.

I love it when they use packing tape to keep the lid on. :D

Yeah, when your cup is overflowing, and they put that tape on, it's kinda like you're drunk and their saying: "Look buddy, that's it for you, you've had enough for today!"

*hic* *hands over VIP card with goofy grin, then swipes card*

R-User!

So, this is what can fit in a tall Pick-A-Brick cup for example:

32 2x2 trans windows
60 1x4 grey bricks
2 1x4 black angled plates
1 12x4 black plate
30 2x2 round grey bricks
12 classic yellow flowers
15 flower stems
7 pink flower sprues
18 1x4x6 door frams
12 1x4x6 barred door insets
11 black latice fences
38 1x1 trans cones in various colors
49 1x1 trans light blue round plates
31 Large tree branches
42 small tree branches
146 1x4 reddish brown tiles

506 pieces in total or 0.029 cents ( essentially 3 cents per pieces)

vs not stacking and organizing:

25 big tree branches
42 small tree branches
1 4x10 black plate
11 1x4x6 door frames
32 2x2 trans clear windows

111 pieces that don't fit. Over 20% less. :( or 0.037 cents (almost 4 cents per piece)

To stack, or not to stack. There is no question!

Also, look at these base-plate prices! Stack them for the sake of savings!

Different Colors etc:

Plate 6X10 0.50 USD
Plate 6X10 0.50 USD
Plate 6X10 0.50 USD
Plate 6X10 0.50 USD
Plate 6X12 2.00 USD
Plate 6X12 0.70 USD
Plate 6X16 2.00 USD
Plate 6X16 2.00 USD
Plate 6X6 0.50 USD
Plate 6X6 0.50 USD
Plate 6X6 0.50 USD
Plate 6X6 0.50 USD
Plate 6X6 0.50 USD
Plate 6X6 0.50 USD
Plate 6X8 0.60 USD
Plate 6X8 0.60 USD
Plate 6X8 0.60 USD
Plate 6X8 0.60 USD
Plate 8X16 2.00 USD
Plate 8X8 0.70 USD

You must stack! But stack wisely!

indiana_jones_grail_knight-resize.jpg

AMAZING!

I am stumped at how much you can actually fit in one of those cups...

So they come in different sizes then? How much is it for one cup, is it a flat fee per cup then?

It's probably a lot more expensive per cup in the EU as usual though so that kinda dampens my enthusiasm :(

ruxtpin

Banned
AMAZING!

I am stumped at how much you can actually fit in one of those cups...

So they come in different sizes then? How much is it for one cup, is it a flat fee per cup then?

It's probably a lot more expensive per cup in the EU as usual though so that kinda dampens my enthusiasm :(

I usually stack as much as I can, and then I just fill-in the remaining space with 1x1 round plates (or something that size). Granted, I shouldn't care, but I always feel odd standing at the wall when there are kids running around me grabbing pieces. I just wanna' get the PAB cup filled, pay, and get out.

I usually stack as much as I can, and then I just fill-in the remaining space with 1x1 round plates (or something that size). Granted, I shouldn't care, but I always feel odd standing at the wall when there are kids running around me grabbing pieces. I just wanna' get the PAB cup filled, pay, and get out.

lol you sound like your Avatar kinda, like some grumpy old man, i LOVE it :)))) (i now imagine a grumpy Bill Murray picking Legos one by one at a PAB wall lol)

I shall do the same at that PAB wall though, fuck the kids!

How much do you pay for such a cup tho?

Top Bottom