• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO GAF |OT2|: Building Dreams. Demolishing Wallets

This might be a stupid question but do you guys have any tips for applying stickers? Do you start the sticker at one end then press down the rest? How much of a border do you leave? I get so damn nervous putting these things on :)

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
This might be a stupid question but do you guys have any tips for applying stickers? Do you start the sticker at one end then press down the rest? How much of a border do you leave? I get so damn nervous putting these things on :)

I use the longest edge as a guide for level placement, and try to center as best I can. I don't press down all of it till I know it's centered.

Naka

Sales Support Team Leader. A customer service position. I applied for many positions there over the months and had a phone interview last summer for a merchandising position and BOMBED (I mean, you could make a new dictionary entry for it) the phone interview for that. It was horrible. I am more prepared for anything this time.

My current job (retail slave my whole life) is not feeling too secure. The economy and Amazon have put the hurt on whom I work for hard, and recent events at work do not make me feel like I have much more than a couple of years before it all falls down.
I do only have to wait a year or so until my wife finishes her PhD, then she will make enough money for us both. But I just need to get into a job I actually feel good in. Spending the last few years trying to escape and getting shot down at every turn does not feel good.

Well I wish you the best of luck. I'm sure with persistence and hard work you will get it eventually. This is the third time I've interviewed with this company and I got farther than ever before. Maybe next year!

Sad day indeed. My X-Wing, Y-Wing, and TIE Fighter are all down. Custom display stands and all. They have been up and on display for nearly a year now, so it is time they went away to make room for newer sets and MOC creations.

pour-one-out.jpg

Also thinking of tearing down my Corner Florist MOC. I have mentioned it before, but the more I look at it compared to my other MOC modulars, it is a VERY weak effort that was hampered by limited piece selection and grand ambitions. Perhaps tearing it down now and having more MOC experience will allow me to make something grander.

Jarmel

Banned
Taking a break from doing my Millenium Falcon. I've been working on it for most of the past week straight. This is my first time doing something this large and it is exhausting. Here's an earlier photo:
ibG0KvSijJb9h.jpg

A bit further along:

i3spi2hJaSOgk.jpg

I'm mostly working on the insides now it seems.

iVPX7Oo6mKel6.jpg

Took a size comparison:
iNr6zfFTSUgqT.jpg

Did you bricklink it or did you buy it outright?

God, I want to put that set together so badly. Thinking of seeing how much I need to actually piece it together, with some choice color substitutions for cost saving of course.

I wonder how much good will (and ill will) LEGO would get if they released a new version of that one soon?

Jarmel

Banned
Did you bricklink it or did you buy it outright?

God, I want to put that set together so badly. Thinking of seeing how much I need to actually piece it together, with some choice color substitutions for cost saving of course.

I wonder how much good will (and ill will) LEGO would get if they released a new version of that one soon?

Bought it outright years ago as a Christmas present for my then 9-year-old sister. At the time, I was hoping she and my father would work together to do it. That obviously didn't happen and she was starting to cannibalize the pieces to do freeform stuff so I just decided to do it myself. This project has been a nightmare as the pieces are scattered in other sets so I've had to hunt down small little pieces scattered everywhere. I also haven't done something of this scale before either so this is truly testing my patience.

Working so close to a Lego store is going to kill me. At least once a week I have "Lunch" at the Lego store.

I've got the bug bad again thanks to playing through Lego LOTR.

This past few weeks scored 9 out of 16 Series 9 Mini figures with only two dupes and no time for feeling the bags out.

Attack on Weathertop from LOTR
A-Wing
AT-RT
Kraang TMNT set
and Desert Skiff.

Also, I noticed TRU has Shirtless Darth Maul Mini fig online but no matter how much I add to my cart he can never be added, anyone know why?

Hmmm. Using the Rebrickable calculator (and excluding certain sets of my collection from the calculator), I am only missing 1275 parts from the UCS falcon. That is accounting for "close" to the same color to build it instead of exact.

That doesn't sound too horrible to try and do.

EDIT: Looking at the list more, it seems it is not including all my sets either. Some parts listed I know I have but Rebrickable did not use them in the calculator. So I probably have only close to 1000 to get.

Hmmm. Do I want to go down this rabbit hole? Could be an interesting experience.

ghostmind

Hmmm. Using the Rebrickable calculator (and excluding certain sets of my collection from the calculator), I am only missing 1275 parts from the UCS falcon. That is accounting for "close" to the same color to build it instead of exact.

EDIT: Looking at the list more, it seems it is not including all my sets either. Some parts listed I know I have but Rebrickable did not use them in the calculator. So I probably have only close to 1000 to get.

Hmmm. Do I want to go down this rabbit hole? Could be an interesting experience.

I'm 567 parts short (or 755 exact), and I ask myself the same question. Some of those parts though - like the radar dish - I know I would want the correct piece, and that is going to get pricey.

I'm 567 parts short (or 755 exact), and I ask myself the same question. Some of those parts though - like the radar dish - I know I would want the correct piece, and that is going to get pricey.

The radar dish I think I could live without the printed one. I have enough gray dishes in the right size.

Or you could tell yourself that it is the Falcon after the Battle of Endor. :)

ghostmind

This has come from completely off my radar to being one of my most-anticipated sets of the year.

f9wzA.jpg

Can't wait to build some projects with my son and have him lose his mind when he can control it with his iPad.

This has come from completely off my radar to being one of my most-anticipated sets of the year.

f9wzA.jpg

I have had the opportunity to get the last Mindstorms set for 30% off MSRP a few times, and almost bit. Learning that would be quite neat. But seeing what they are adding to the new one makes me glad that I never got into it. If I do, the new set will be nice.

The dish is $100 on Bricklink - just for that one part.

LEGO - rerelease this set!!!

Mother of god.

Seriously, they would get a lot of good and bad will from fans if they rereleased it or did a new variation of it. The collector market would cry foul, but they would also sell so many of them.

ghostmind

The collectors market can bite me.

They need to do *something* as this set has become unreachable for all but a small minority. I'm not going to spend $2,500 to $3,000 on one LEGO set, no matter how much I want it.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
I decided to take full inventory of the LEGO collection, and I have a total of 96 sets. I do believe this may have spiraled out of control.

The collectors market can bite me.

They need to do *something* as this set has become unreachable for all but a small minority. I'm not going to spend $2,500 to $3,000 on one LEGO set, no matter how much I want it.

Agreed. I have yet to buy an OOP set from the collector's market, and probably never will either. If I missed it, I missed it.

I said it a few pages ago, but I see the collector market and "investment" market for LEGO collapsing in a few years. Too many people jumping into it now and hoarding sets in the hopes of the next big score. Once everyone is doing it, the whole system collapses. Much like what happened to the comic book market in the 90s.

I decided to take full inventory of the LEGO collection, and I have a total of 96 sets. I do believe this may have spiraled out of control.

Are you joking? That means that the storm is finally stabilizing and can continue to grow in power!

EDIT: Some horrible pics of my display space and what little is left.

R2-D2 and Death Star on the side of the television.

Haunted House diorama on top of the equipment rack. I have space for a small set on top of the other speaker, and plan to put the VW camper on the tv stand. It should be just short enough not to block the screen.

Modular MOCs. The top shelf was filled with the X and Y Wings and the TIE Fighter. But I needed to put the Estate House MOC up. The Corner Florist is on top, and probably not long for this world.

Imperial Shuttle and SSD on the "Desk" by the window. Maersk is hiding under the SSD. Still no clue what to do with that set, nor the Horizon Express once I get it.

Official modulars (and one small MOC modular). These are permanent, and look forward to adding Palace Cinema in a few months. Just need to plan out my ship MOC once Queen Anne's Revenge comes down.

lol Phon, i spotted the little Luthor Powerarmor between those ships and buildings and whatnot on the top shelf, guy looks lost there :(

Man, honestly your setup would drive me NUTS as i would really like to neatly display my sets... though i can see how it would get to that if you simply run out of proper display space :( ... I assume this is the living room or do you have a separate room where you can display all of the sets?

This is exactly why i am simply leaving most of my bigger sets i bought recently in the box and hold off building them until we move into a bigger place early next year, i know i won't have the space right now so i'd have to start putting em where ever and my gf would kill me for that lol, yours seems very supportive ;)

mrklaw

MrArseFace

You just made me check (and update my rebrickable list). Apparently I'm 1234 pieces short. Tempting, but is there a way to see which sets it uses prices from? I'm guessing it wouldn't need much front modulars, mostly technic or SW sets.

I wonder if there are good sets to buy to get a number of pieces? Eg is the current Millenium falcon a good donor set? I already have one, but might be simpler to buy another?

Should be doable with some substitutions for £1-200 I guess, depending what sets I don't want to break down. That's less than it cost me to bricklink cafe corner, which I was slightly disappointed by (lack of interior mainly)

But I'd much prefer a proper new set.

Greengrocer is one I'd consider buying OOP, its not *too* expensive right now.

Rootbeer

Banned
it's also kind of not great I thought. but fuck if this probably isn't your last chance to get it under $60+.

Nothing special about it other than a pretty (and very small) box and the two microfigs. But yes if you want a set that is sure to be valuable it's a good buy.

Nothing special about it other than a pretty (and very small) box and the two microfigs. But yes if you want a set that is sure to be valuable it's a good buy.

Why would it be valuable later on though if it's overpriced and not really all THAT popular a license? I mean true collectors know that it's not a great set, who would spend that much money later on to get it then? Or does it come with special exclusive pieces? (except the minifigs)? Wondering if i should jump on it now just to box it.

Besides, Lego shop has it in stock for 40 bucks or so it seems? (EU at least hmm)

iuuk

Why would it be valuable later on though if it's overpriced and not really all THAT popular a license? I mean true collectors know that it's not a great set, who would spend that much money later on to get it then? Or does it come with special exclusive pieces? (except the minifigs)? Wondering if i should jump on it now just to box it.

Besides, Lego shop has it in stock for 40 bucks or so it seems? (EU at least hmm)
It's a bubble. The first print run was very limited, so some people missed out on buying it. Those people started paying more for ebay auctions and the price sort of skyrocketed like that. Now with the new print run sellers have not yet come to terms with the lower value and not all buyers know of the new print run. I think it will burst, seeing how it has been available on LEGO Europe for quite a while now. I also don't think this set will keep its present allure.

Rootbeer

Banned

You don't believe there will be a Minecraft 2? It's inevitable. That license is not going anywhere. It is not a compelling set for builders but I do feel it will hold good value.

hmm yeah i just don't see this set holding the same value over time as classic ones like Star Wars or stuff like modulars...

The price i could get it for now is good but i think i will invest that money into another set instead, not sure which yet.

edit: then again... i just saw that it DOES come with a ton of flat, smooth pieces in usable colors (brown, green...) so considering that, if it does NOT increase in value in a couple years i could always crack it open and use those for MOCs hmmm, *opinion reconsideration in progress* ;)

Many Pics

I need to show my wife these photos/ She's not as thrilled with my getting back into LEGO as she could be. I mean, she's happy I have something that I enjoy and it's meant she gets more time on ZombiU but the space it takes up is not popular.

Right now I've only got R2-D2, Imperial Shuttle and B-Wing on display.

Also, wouldn't the Cuusoo branding have something to do with collecting it? I think it is #3 on the North Anerican side, and if they keep releasing "community"-picked sets, I could see the older ones going up in value.

Also, wouldn't the Cuusoo branding have something to do with collecting it? I think it is #3 on the North Anerican side, and if they keep releasing "community"-picked sets, I could see the older ones going up in value.

Hmm good point, this one is starting to look more and more appealing... I told myself i will only get a couple sets up to a certain amount of money for this little investment experiment of mine and then stop! Now that i am nearly there i need to actually STOP lol! Lego is supposed to be a fun hobby for me after all, not business ;)

iuuk

This was what made me consider buying the minecraft set, but realizing that I would probably never own the Shinkai Submarine and the fact that I'm a completist made me ignore it. €35 is a lot of money for such a small set. For twice the price I can buy the mini modulars, which in my opinion are at least four times better.

I'll probably end up regretting it once it goes OOP, but I'm used to that.

RichardAM

Kwanzaagator
I gave a Minecraft and got one back for xmas.

The set means nothing to me on license terms so it is just a bunch of bricks as far as i'm concerned. Might resell and use the monies to buy part of a modular instead I think, but definitely not going to hold onto it hoping it increases in value.

This was what made me consider buying the minecraft set, but realizing that I would probably never own the Shinkai Submarine and the fact that I'm a completist made me ignore it. €35 is a lot of money for such a small set. For twice the price I can buy the mini modulars, which in my opinion are at least four times better.

I'll probably end up regretting it once it goes OOP, but I'm used to that.

I thought the same but ended up getting the Shinkai Sub from Bricklink for a decent price (pre-customs....Grrrr). I built the Sub but have spare Minecraft and Hayabusa so I suppose my investment program has started.

As long as CUUSOO sets are smallish I will buy a spare. The only problem is that it's most likely the only people to benefit from this investment will be my wife/family as I doubt I'll sell during my lifetime.

I thought the same but ended up getting the Shinkai Sub from Bricklink for a decent price (pre-customs....Grrrr). I built the Sub but have spare Minecraft and Hayabusa so I suppose my investment program has started.

As long as CUUSOO sets are smallish I will buy a spare. The only problem is that it's most likely the only people to benefit from this investment will be my wife/family as I doubt I'll sell during my lifetime.

Why wouldn't you sell though as long as you have a spare for yourself?

also: trying this again, where can i get a HEADSET from except from that DJ in miniseries 8?

Why wouldn't you sell though as long as you have a spare for yourself?

also: trying this again, where can i get a HEADSET from except from that DJ in miniseries 8?

I'm a collector/hoarder I guess. I have quite a lot of video game stuff I don't use dating back to the 8-bit era but I don't see me selling them. I once told my wife I would sell it all if it meant we could move into our own home or something but she said she would not ask me to do that and so far we've not needed to.

Bad news on the headset, according to Bricklink that's the only minifig with the headphones hair.

Applied for yet another job at LEGO corporate. I have been trying to get out of my job for the last couple of years, and just feel that I bombed that phone interview with LEGO last summer so hard that I am forever doomed.

Good luck Bone. Remember that if you really want to get out of your current job, don't get hung up on working at a specific place (like LEGO). I have zero personal interest in the output of my company, but I love working here. What will your wife's dissertation be on btw?

ATTN Canadians:

You may have already seen this but Sears is carrying the Tie Fighter for 50% off. It's a great set:

http://www.sears.ca/product/lego-star-wars-tie-fighter/616-000053108-4654170

Hate stickers for this reason - you've got one shot and you can't blow it. God help you if a hair or something gets caught underneath the sticker while you apply it.

I place the left side and then slowly place the rest.

Hate stickers for this reason - you've got one shot and you can't blow it. God help you if a hair or something gets caught underneath the sticker while you apply it.

I place the left side and then slowly place the rest.

I refuse to place the stickers, they stay in the building instructions indefinitely...

SpeedNut

I'm surprised that they don't do more of the printed brick variety for these things, other than it's more special inventory to deal with. I guess I'll find out when I try to resurrect an old set that got damaged way back when as part of an easy A back in school almost 2 decades ago. Hopefully the parts are still available.

Top Bottom