• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO GAF |OT2|: Building Dreams. Demolishing Wallets

Amazing LEGO customer service strikes again! Just read this on Huffington Post:

Luka Apps, 7-Year-Old Boy, Writes Letter To Lego, Gets His Toy Replaced

By Sarah Medina Posted: 01/09/2013 12:06 pm EST | Updated: 01/09/2013 12:21 pm EST

If we've learned anything from this letter about a lost toy written by a 7-year-old boy, it's that Lego's customer service department should RUN THE WORLD. No, seriously.

Story continues after photo:

o-LOST-LEGO-REPLY-570.jpg

Luka Apps of Highworth, Wiltshire, was devastated when he lost a recent Christmas present -- a Jay ZX Lego character -- while on a shopping trip. According to the Sun, Luka's father, Simon Apps, had warned him about taking the toy shopping, and sure enough, the figurine managed to fall out of the boy's pocket at a store.

Luka was so upset about the loss of his new toy that he decided to write a letter to the company explaining his misfortune.

o-LOST-LEGO-REPLY-570.jpg

The 7-year-old was shocked when a reply letter came in the mail offering not only to replace the toy but extra goodies for being honest, reported ITV.

When the new toy finally arrived in the mail, Simon Apps tweeted:

Blueprint Promo @Blueprintpromo1
8 Jan 13

@simonapps Brilliant customer service and amazing PR for Lego!

Simon Apps @simonapps

@Blueprintpromo1 Luka was literally jumping up and down when he read the reply. Had to be shared.

And Luka wrote Lego back:

Hello Richard.

Thank you for talking to Sensei Wu for me.

I promise I will look after them.

– LUKA

Since then, Luka's story has made its way around the world through social media.

Thank you, Lego, for restoring our faith in people (and customer service reps).

lol Phon, i spotted the little Luthor Powerarmor between those ships and buildings and whatnot on the top shelf, guy looks lost there :(

Man, honestly your setup would drive me NUTS as i would really like to neatly display my sets... though i can see how it would get to that if you simply run out of proper display space :( ... I assume this is the living room or do you have a separate room where you can display all of the sets?

This is exactly why i am simply leaving most of my bigger sets i bought recently in the box and hold off building them until we move into a bigger place early next year, i know i won't have the space right now so i'd have to start putting em where ever and my gf would kill me for that lol, yours seems very supportive ;)

It is indeed a living room. There is not much space in this apartment. I could clear off more space in the second bedroom, but I think invading bookshelves in the main living room is enough damage.

You just made me check (and update my rebrickable list). Apparently I'm 1234 pieces short. Tempting, but is there a way to see which sets it uses prices from? I'm guessing it wouldn't need much front modulars, mostly technic or SW sets.

I wonder if there are good sets to buy to get a number of pieces? Eg is the current Millenium falcon a good donor set? I already have one, but might be simpler to buy another?

Should be doable with some substitutions for £1-200 I guess, depending what sets I don't want to break down. That's less than it cost me to bricklink cafe corner, which I was slightly disappointed by (lack of interior mainly)

But I'd much prefer a proper new set.

Greengrocer is one I'd consider buying OOP, its not *too* expensive right now.

On Rebrickable you can hide certain sets so that it does not include them in the parts list. I removed all modulars and UCS sets from my list.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
It is indeed a living room. There is not much space in this apartment. I could clear off more space in the second bedroom, but I think invading bookshelves in the main living room is enough damage.

On Rebrickable you can hide certain sets so that it does not include them in the parts list. I removed all modulars and UCS sets from my list.

Just found a page that shows you how many pieces from each of your sets are used, and even which exact pieces. Very handy

http://rebrickable.com/build_set_parts?s=10179-1&c=2&setlist=1&partlist=1

Modular MOCs. The top shelf was filled with the X and Y Wings and the TIE Fighter. But I needed to put the Estate House MOC up. The Corner Florist is on top, and probably not long for this world.
Phon what's the dark gray MOC on the left with the gattling guns in the front? i don't remember that one.

Do you have all your pics collected in one place?

beje

Banned
A couple of pics from the small MOC project I was talking about some days ago:

I had to use weird pieces, clashing colours and fill it with roof bricks instead of normal bricks but there's no problem as this is just a concept. It's just the base, but the following floors are piece of cake after this, just a little different floor to accomodate the stairs from the floor below.

Haha, I tried entering the three sets I have here into Rebrickable. Somehow having Black Seas Barracuda listed means I can only build 98.6% of... a Black Seas Barracuda. And the Bag End stuff doesn't even show up.

It will be interesting though once I get the rest of my old stuff and build them to see what things I have complete.

beje

Banned
not bad so far... what type of building is it going to be though?

An "endless" tower where you can add as many floors as you like. each one completely different, and scramble them around as you please. I really don't have a clue about how many can be stacked untill it becomes unstable though but it's going to be fun as soon as I can start bricklinking stuff.

An "endless" tower where you can add as many floors as you like. each one completely different, and scramble them around as you please. I really don't have a clue about how many can be stacked untill it becomes unstable though but it's going to be fun as soon as I can start bricklinking stuff.

nice... ever play Jenga though? ;)

Also, I noticed TRU has Shirtless Darth Maul Mini fig online but no matter how much I add to my cart he can never be added, anyone know why?

Anyone?

edit: 1043pm PST : First off, I am hurt LEGO GAF, don't ignore me, I'm one of you. Also, it seems like a bug with the site, but now you can get Shirtless Darth Maul (and probably could have since November?) with an order of $25+ of Lego Star Wars. Got the Saesee Tin Jedi Starfighter set. Even though he died like a bitch to Palpatine.

enewtabie

ooh. I want to post some pics.
Not as nice as Phon's setup. I do have a large Backlog in the closet.
Sorry for the blurry phone pics.

54D94950-7D40-4E47-B28A-6B9F6B7C7BAC-1621-000001C718EC74E6.jpg

A733FF73-8892-4598-8803-F30EF89B60BB-1621-000001C71F73A862.jpg

4A551446-A2E1-415B-826D-C85917F51195-1621-000001C725FC3A79.jpg

A61B9089-E55E-41F8-8EA5-EE7514D8E3A4-1621-000001C72B120F11.jpg

I know there's some flak for Lego making this two sets, but shit, when it's put together it's huge and very displayable and just a fantasy come true. I love it.
That looks great. I loved the idea of it being 2 sets that fit together. I don't love the price tag and will probably pass even when it's discounted, unless it's a huge discount.

aUCHj.jpg

Latest acquisitions.
Couldn't resist the minifigs in these kits.

Also managed to pick up the 9500 for a steal, so it's on the way in the post.

This new found hobby is really killing my wallet. It's terrible to jump back in after so many years and see so many sets that are available. Though I can't help but feel slight rip off when buying Lego Star Wars it seems everything just price a tad higher than they should be. The A-wing should really be 19.99 product and not 24.99 and those small set really should be 9.99, but man their customer service is awesome it's just like buying Apple products.

Anyway, my local Fred have some more clearance sale so I pick up all the Star Wars planets (really more for those figures than the mini vehicle, though they are not bad looking). They were about $4.70 each, they also have V-Wing for $8.00, my son put it together so fast ... it was quite disappointing actually and I am glad I didn't pay a lot more for it.

I might make a trip to Lego store tomorrow, that Jabba palace set really have me excited about putting together a big set.

Crizume

Neo Member
Not sure if linked before but you can see some game footage of Lego Marvel Super Heroes in this "trailer".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=P8c-9pM7VPA

Love the big hulk running animation. Will probably be my first lego video game pickup as im sure the little one will love it.

Edit: With my recent foray back into Lego's might have to pickup Lego Batman 2 since the little ones been bothering me about that one 2. Been getting away with just letting him play the demo.

This new found hobby is really killing my wallet. It's terrible to jump back in after so many years and see so many sets that are available. Though I can't help but feel slight rip off when buying Lego Star Wars it seems everything just price a tad higher than they should be. The A-wing should really be 19.99 product and not 24.99 and those small set really should be 9.99, but man their customer service is awesome it's just like buying Apple products.

Anyway, my local Fred have some more clearance sale so I pick up all the Star Wars planets (really more for those figures than the mini vehicle, though they are not bad looking). They were about $4.70 each, they also have V-Wing for $8.00, my son put it together so fast ... it was quite disappointing actually and I am glad I didn't pay a lot more for it.

I might make a trip to Lego store tomorrow, that Jabba palace set really have me excited about putting together a big set.
Get Imperial Shuttle while you can. It is a fairly priced Star Wars set, and is going to disappear very soon and only increase in price.

Get Imperial Shuttle while you can. It is a fairly priced Star Wars set, and is going to disappear very soon and only increase in price.

lol way to add fuel to the fire Phon...

@ Deadpool: those pictures of the troopers are GREAT, i got that set for them as well, though it's still sealed... by the way what camera are you using? They look super sharp, i really need to get myself a decent camera, what are you guys all using that is good for Lego photography and general close up shots like that?

Here's the first floor of my Mini Modular version of the upcoming Cinema set!
(The wineglass is a stand-in for the Ski Pole piece I will use as the actual light post, which the LDD does not have).

n726E.png
8343312685_1656ea14d4_z.jpg

The base of the sign is a little chunkier than the original, but I'm still happy with my solution to get the that 45 degree angle.

The round pieces in the sidewalk are meant to be the Hollywood stars and the raised black ones are the velvet ropes.

I don't want to jinx it, but I think I've got the hardest part out of the way by getting the sign to be at that angle. I might change the lights on the sign, but I haven't decided yet.

Not sure if linked before but you can see some game footage of Lego Marvel Super Heroes in this "trailer".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=P8c-9pM7VPA

Love the big hulk running animation. Will probably be my first lego video game pickup as im sure the little one will love it.

Edit: With my recent foray back into Lego's might have to pickup Lego Batman 2 since the little ones been bothering me about that one 2. Been getting away with just letting him play the demo.

Lego games on Xbox 360 are my only 1000G games. Not a big fan of what they did in Lord of the Rings game but very hyped for Marvel Super Heroes

Fowler

I was SO ready to buy the Death Star. Was going to trade in the extra Falcon my family got me for Christmas, went down to the store, and... sold out.

Damnit.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Went into Hamley's in London yesterday to see what sets they had. They had the Wolverine Chopper Showdown so it was good to get a look at that in person, although it was marked up above RRP so I didn't pick it up. They had the Lex Power Suit set too. There were series 8 & 9 minifigures, a bunch of Chima sets and lots of LotR/Hobbit stuff. Also on the shelves were Tower Bridge, a couple of modulars (Town Hall and another I can't remember now), the UCS Millennium Falcon, the Death Star, a few SSDs and instantly I wished I was a far wealthier person. Those sets must be so much fun to build, i can see why people covet them so much, I envy those of you who have them!

Fowler

Went into Hamley's in London yesterday to see what sets they had. They had the Wolverine Chopper Showdown so it was good to get a look at that in person, although it was marked up above RRP so I didn't pick it up. They had the Lex Power Suit set too. There were series 8 & 9 minifigures, a bunch of Chima sets and lots of LotR/Hobbit stuff. Also on the shelves were Tower Bridge, a couple of modulars (Town Hall and another I can't remember now), the UCS Millennium Falcon, the Death Star, a few SSDs and instantly I wished I was a far wealthier person. Those sets must be so much fun to build, i can see why people covet them so much, I envy those of you who have them!

You mean the regular Falcon surely, not the UCS one?! I was there a week ago and didn't see the UCS Falcon...

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Sorry, my mistake. Must have been the regular one. Didn't check closely but now I think about it it must be the regular one. I think I confused the mid sized one that came out recently for the regular one and so assumed that was the UCS one.

iuuk

Just finished building my Grand Emporium, and like the Fire Brigade the set looks so much better than in the pictures. And even though it may not have had mini builds even close to the level of fire brigade, I still loved the ones it had, especially the bird house.

And in case anyone is interested with all this Death Star talk, Amazon.it has this set for €330. Thank god I'm only interested in the fighters.

wetwired

just saw this MOC on eurobricks, while not great in of itself I was curious to know what the brick patterned pieces are? I tried looking on bricklink to no avail, anyone got any ideas?

196866_10151427628598013_1587247126_n.jpg

wetwired

Just finished building my Grand Emporium, and like the Fire Brigade the set looks so much better than in the pictures. And even though it may not have had mini builds even close to the level of fire brigade, I still loved the ones it had, especially the bird house.

And in case anyone is interested with all this Death Star talk, Amazon.it has this set for Thank god I'm only interested in the fighters.

Grand Emporium doesn't get much love but I think it's great, one of the better looking buildings.

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
just saw this MOC on eurobricks, while not great in of itself I was curious to know what the brick patterned pieces are? I tried looking on bricklink to no avail, anyone got any ideas?

Bricks kinda look raise from the LEGO. Could be a magent or sticker?

wetwired

Here's the first floor of my Mini Modular version of the upcoming Cinema set!
(The wineglass is a stand-in for the Ski Pole piece I will use as the actual light post, which the LDD does not have).

n726E.png
8343312685_1656ea14d4_z.jpg

The base of the sign is a little chunkier than the original, but I'm still happy with my solution to get the that 45 degree angle.

The round pieces in the sidewalk are meant to be the Hollywood stars and the raised black ones are the velvet ropes.

I don't want to jinx it, but I think I've got the hardest part out of the way by getting the sign to be at that angle. I might change the lights on the sign, but I haven't decided yet.

looking good so far, personally I'd get rid of the lights on the vertical sign, either do it with 1x1 round plates stickout out sideways or remove them completely. Or perhaps even a 1x4 trans yellow bar stuck along it

Bricks kinda look raise from the LEGO. Could be a magent or sticker?

It's hard to tell but it looks raised as part of the mould, and it looks like some sort of 1x6x? high panel or multi brick high piece of some sort.

Mazdarati

Neo Member
Just popped in here to share a story about missing pieces. When my son and I started building the republic frigate(7964) he got for Christmas, we noticed there were no minifigs in bag 1 where they normally are. I figured they must be in another bag so we continued building. After finishing bag 1, I then searched each bag and found no minifigs or their accesories.
I examined the box a bit closer and noticed one of the flaps appeared to hot glued together. I don't remember ever seeing lego boxes glued together, so I'm guessing someone bought the set, opened the box, took out the figs, hot glued it back together and returned to the store.
Needless to say my son was very disappointed. Hopefully we'll get the replacement figs in the mail soon. It sounds like Lego is really good with their customer service.

Considering the market for minifigs is absolutely insane, I'm not surprised if that's what happened. Perhaps Lego should have better security on their boxes.

Anyone else here have a similar experience?

Just received my first set in a pretty damaged box from Amazon, needless to say the box of the actual set was a little pushed in too on the sides :( I suppose in the end nothing beats going to the store and picking a new set out yourself from the shelves as you have no control over what the shipping company guys do with the merchandise and how they treat it.

Prices are unbeatable online though so i'll probably continue doing it this way ;)

the_standard

Neo Member
I got master builder academy set 2+3 combo from the website for my son for Xmas, and when we opened it, there was 2 instruction books for part 2 mini builds but no book for robot designer. I emailed Lego and they sent the book in the mail less than 8 days later. Great customer service!

I'm guessing Mega Bloks. You can see that most of the surrounding bricks are cheap Mega Bloks.

Just popped in here to share a story about missing pieces. When my son and I started building the republic frigate(7964) he got for Christmas, we noticed there were no minifigs in bag 1 where they normally are. I figured they must be in another bag so we continued building. After finishing bag 1, I then searched each bag and found no minifigs or their accesories.
I examined the box a bit closer and noticed one of the flaps appeared to hot glued together. I don't remember ever seeing lego boxes glued together, so I'm guessing someone bought the set, opened the box, took out the figs, hot glued it back together and returned to the store.
Needless to say my son was very disappointed. Hopefully we'll get the replacement figs in the mail soon. It sounds like Lego is really good with their customer service.

Considering the market for minifigs is absolutely insane, I'm not surprised if that's what happened. Perhaps Lego should have better security on their boxes.

Anyone else here have a similar experience?

I usually inspect the box to make sure the tape are on there. Also the mini-figs come in it's own bag? All the set I got so far they are usually part of Bag#1 but then again largest set I got so far is the Sith Fury. If they are in their own baggie then I can see the problem of someone just snagging the bag with the mini-figs.

Fowler

They should have done free shipping for it if you paid for it in store.

Yeah um... Hong Kong is good about many things, but free shipping and general customer service things are not really big here. Ordering the Death Star from outside HK is going to cost a TON in shipping. Just gotta wait...

looking good so far, personally I'd get rid of the lights on the vertical sign, either do it with 1x1 round plates stickout out sideways or remove them completely. Or perhaps even a 1x4 trans yellow bar stuck along it

Haha, thanks. Those are both actually ideas I was planning to try out for the lights on the sign.

I'm thinking that the stack of 1x1 round studs would look closer to how the original is, even if it would a bit off scale. This isn't a big issue to me since the official mini-modulars have some slightly off scale features as well (I think the white fan/sign on the Cafe is a bit larger than scale).

Top Bottom