• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO GAF |OT2|: Building Dreams. Demolishing Wallets

lingiii

Banned
Oh god I've always been a Star Wars purist but then I got an Expected Visit for Christmas and then picked up the lil Krang Lab Escape because the Krang is awesome and now I have a cart on S@H with the full TMNT run and I keep hovering on more Hobbit sets.

Where is the bottom of this holeeeeeeee.

R-User!

Oh god I've always been a Star Wars purist but then I got an Expected Visit for Christmas and then picked up the lil Krang Lab Escape because the Krang is awesome and now I have a cart on S@H with the full TMNT run and I keep hovering on more Hobbit sets.

Where is the bottom of this holeeeeeeee.

Do you mean An Unexpected Gathering (Bilbo's Home)?

I never really cared about Minifigs that much, but I want this minifig!

i6Nn0.jpg

I guess it's from somebody's deviant art page, but dammit I want it.

I've actually taken a break from gaming. I think it's part of the reason my last relationship cratered and I felt I wasn't being productive enough generally. I do lego still but moderately.

I've actually taken a break from gaming. I think it's part of the reason my last relationship cratered and I felt I wasn't being productive enough generally. I do lego still but moderately.

I hear you... I have done the same recently but with GAF lol, except for LEGO GAF (ok and the Supernatural thread lol) i stay away from gaming+off topic and it has freed up a BIG chunk of my time :p feels good.. gaming also took a backseat to LEGO for now so at least timewise this is working out, walletwise... not so much

I tend to binge on my various hobbies for weeks/months at a time, then I switch. Console gaming, World of WarCraft, board games, miniature painting, Warhammer 40k, Lego, and a couple more. Each of them are not overly expensive in their own right, but all of them combined tends to get super pricey real quick. Of course lots of hobbies means it's easier to wait on sales for each one if I want to.

No more Lego for me unless it's Arkham, Theater, or sales! I'm spending most of my free time on my console backlog right now, and it is fucking huge. Intimidating actually. But I wouldn't have it any other way. All my hobbies are 90% backlog lol!

Ironmask

Back here cuz the "1000 miles" thread got locked. What I missed guys? :)

What do you think about custom minifigs? since i've got some spare time, I "pimped" my duped samurai

+1 Internet for whoever finds out where i copied the mask from ;)

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
Back here cuz the "1000 miles" thread got locked. What I missed guys? :)

What do you think about custom minifigs? since i've got some spare time, I "pimped" my duped samurai

Best troll ever. Back to LEGO Gaf for me as well.

SpeedNut

Any recommendations for transporting? I have some finished kits (Motorized AT-AT for example) that I don't want to f up in transit. I'm tempted to use like a rubbermaid or sterilite containers to make sure that all the pieces are at least contained but wanted to see if there was any other methods out there.

Been lurking this thread, now that I can finally post let me just say: thanks a lot for helping me get addicted to LEGO again! I don't have quite so much expendable income so I still only have for sets: the first one to get me back into LEGO was the Millennium Falcon, then I got Shuttle Expedition, then for Christmas I got an X-Wing, and now last week I bought the UCS Imperial Shuttle after seeing so many recommendation for it here and other forums, combined with it being retired soon.

Man, that Imperial Shuttle build... I never knew LEGO could be so exhausting! I built it across two days while watching all the movies. I severely underestimated just how MASSIVE it is and how long it would take! Of course... Now I just want more UCS sets! Maybe the B-Wing next? Or R2-D2? I do prefer ships more but R2's cool.

So far I'm only really interested in space and particularly Star Wars stuff, but I've been considering getting into other things. Before deciding on the Imperial Shuttle I thought about the Haunted House, but am unsure on that as while it seems cool to build it doesn't really fit with the rest of my collection, or anything else in my apartment. Then I thought about starting a Modular Building town, if I can figure out where to put it, but again I'm unsure about it since I could just use that money to buy more Star Wars sets. Along with more UCS sets, I still want the Y-Wing, TIE Fighter, Malevolence (despite not watching the Clone Wars show, it looks like a pretty cool ship), and really any other ship I can find. Still, the sale on Fire Brigade Amazon currently has makes it tempting...

Been lurking this thread, now that I can finally post let me just say: thanks a lot for helping me get addicted to LEGO again! I don't have quite so much expendable income so I still only have for sets: the first one to get me back into LEGO was the Millennium Falcon, then I got Shuttle Expedition, then for Christmas I got an X-Wing, and now last week I bought the UCS Imperial Shuttle after seeing so many recommendation for it here and other forums, combined with it being retired soon.

Man, that Imperial Shuttle build... I never knew LEGO could be so exhausting! I built it across two days while watching all the movies. I severely underestimated just how MASSIVE it is and how long it would take! Of course... Now I just want more UCS sets! Maybe the B-Wing next? Or R2-D2? I do prefer ships more but R2's cool.

So far I'm only really interested in space and particularly Star Wars stuff, but I've been considering getting into other things. Before deciding on the Imperial Shuttle I thought about the Haunted House, but am unsure on that as while it seems cool to build it doesn't really fit with the rest of my collection, or anything else in my apartment. Then I thought about starting a Modular Building town, if I can figure out where to put it, but again I'm unsure about it since I could just use that money to buy more Star Wars sets. Along with more UCS sets, I still want the Y-Wing, TIE Fighter, Malevolence (despite not watching the Clone Wars show, it looks like a pretty cool ship), and really any other ship I can find. Still, the sale on Fire Brigade Amazon currently has makes it tempting...

If you want to stick with space but you'd like to branch out a bit, consider the Galaxy Squad sets. You get a bit more bang for your buck compared to Star Wars sets, and a couple of them are simply phenomenal. In particular, check out the Swarm Interceptor and the Bug Obliterator. These sets are much cheaper than those you've been buying so far.

You seem to be leaning more towards the big sets which are effectively the pinnacle of the LEGO experience, though. I haven't heard a single bad thing about any of those Star Wars ships you listed, but if you really want sets in the same class as the UCS sets, the modulars, Haunted House and the Star Wars mega-sets are the way to go. I'm knee-deep in the Death Star build and it has no rival in my collection. Not even the modulars really match it. Many LEGOgaffers have praised the Super Star Destroyer as well. If I were you, I'd look to those two. Your interest in Star Wars makes it kind of a no-brainer.

Glad to have you with us!

wetwired

Ok I think I've come up with my plan for my display at the local BrisBricks Lego expo in September.

It starts with the Ghostbusters HQ on 2 32x32 baseplates on the right hand corner. On top of this is optional (if i get time) ecto 1 car and stay puff marshmellow man built in the style of my mech astronauts etc. A little diorama of action with the ghostbusters centered around that.

To the left of that is a small alleyway where you will find a small scene with the TMNT minifigures.

To the left of that is a grungy abandoned building with a fire escape on the front facade (similar to the one next to the real ghostbusters firehouse)

Then to the left of that would be a modified version of the monster fighters haunted house (once I buy it that is) The modifications would be removing the side extrusions to make it but up against the buildings on either side cleanly and moving it closer to the street. I'd have an overgrown garden in the front with vines climbing up the building to the right of it and an extended version of the fence going all the way along the front. I'd love to change the colour to be sand blue too but that's pending time and money.

Then next to that would just be the pet shop buildings (as I already have that constructed) and the Town Hall, out the front of which would be the 2 batmobiles and possibly a small scene with bane and some other baddies and henchman vs batman and a heap of the cops from series 9 collectibles.

And if it's out in time and I can afford it, the palace cinema on the far left, finishing off the scene.

A friend is interested in helping out too so he'd makes some more grungy buildings to either make it a corner scene coming from the other side of the ghostbuster HQ or his buildings would replace the pet shop etc.

All this is pending time and money of course, the main feature is the ghostbuster stuff so that comes first.

That Bug Obliterator set looks pretty cool, I'm not too fond of the alien ship in it but both of the human vehicles look quite cool, I may have to keep it in mind! I have looked at LEGO's original space lines before actually, in particular I've thought about looking around for the Galactic Enforcer from Space Police. Now if only I actually did have more money...

Also, I just remembered I do have another kit that I didn't list, a custom built Batman Tumbler from this site called Artifex Creations. Still need to get a Batman minifig for it, in fact. The Tumbler was grossly overpriced for the piece count I know but it just looks great, and I have a problem with overspending. ...Yes it was a bad decision to buy that but it does look COOL and that's what matters!

The Super Star Destroyer is a UCS I want to get if I determine it will actually fit on my coffee table, but $400 is way too much for me at the moment. I've thought about waiting until May 4th as I know there are Star Wars sales then and by that time I may actually be making more money.

Huh, I think over all I just prefer vehicle sets in general, looking at what I have now and what I want. And speaking of what I want, I'd LOVE if a set was made of the RSI Constellation from Star Citizen, be it from LEGO or a fan. I'd pay anything!

lol way to add fuel to the fire Phon...

@ Deadpool: those pictures of the troopers are GREAT, i got that set for them as well, though it's still sealed... by the way what camera are you using? They look super sharp, i really need to get myself a decent camera, what are you guys all using that is good for Lego photography and general close up shots like that?

A Canon EOS 400D, but the photos are probably credit to my EF 100mm f/2.8 USM Macro Lens.

I've been doing heaps of photos since I got back into Lego, so the Macro has come in handy.

wetwired

A Canon EOS 400D, but the photos are probably credit to my EF 100mm f/2.8 USM Macro Lens.

I've been doing heaps of photos since I got back into Lego, so the Macro has come in handy.

I've been wanting a macro lens just for lego :p, I had the 400D but sold it as my wife has a 450 and we figured we really didn't need 2 bodies.

EDIT> Damn i just looked up the price, $900 AUD, that's a big chunk out of my Lego spending money :p

I've been wanting a macro lens just for lego :p, I had the 400D but sold it as my wife has a 450 and we figured we really didn't need 2 bodies.

EDIT> Damn i just looked up the price, $900 AUD, that's a big chunk out of my Lego spending money :p

I used to do a lot of backyard insect/creature type photography which is what I bought it for, but it's such a good portrait lens as well, and it's still the best glass I own.

From memory I ended up getting it for $600-something online. JB's were doing the Direct site a while back and it was pretty cheap on there too (I think ~$550), but not sure if that's still going.

Nonetheless, still a HUGE chunk of Lego spending money, as you say :p

Marko723

Neo Member
Been lurking here on the LEGO thread since about November waiting for my NeoGAF account to be active. Just received the confirmation e-mail today.

It's been almost 30 years since I last used LEGO. My kids (6 and 7-1/2) have just started taking an interest in it over this past summer with a couple of the smaller 200 piece sets in the Lego City line.

I think I might have over done their Xmas this year.

DSC02062b_zpscb15af6a.jpg

The Excavator was a gift for myself from 'Santa'. ;-) I started to get caught up in buying sets at pre-xmas sales, that when I saw it I just had to grab it for myself. My kids were a little surprised that 'Dad' also got LEGO for Xmas from Santa.

I think I'm hooked now, as I just picked up the Queen Anne and the Black Pearl last week, and I'm looking at the Fire Brigade and the Grand Emporium as the next 2 on my list.

Man Marko, that's quite a gift for them! I live on my own so anything I buy goes directly to me, no kids needed. ...Unfortunately I don't yet have the means to buy that much anyway.

Well I just bought another LEGO set a bit ago, Minecraft Micro World when I saw it's back in stock on Jinx (wish I had see when it was supposedly in stock on Amazon). My first non-space related and non-vehicle set! I know it's not that great, but I just love Minecraft despite my lack of actual building skills (admin my own server actually, I should check out the community thread here) and rarity only makes me want to buy things more.

I looked at the new Mindstorms EV3 set some and I think I'm definitely going to get it when it comes out. I have the original NXT too and well don't play with it that much but EV3 just looks so cool it's hard to pass up. Gonna need something bigger to store all this in, the tackle box I got for the NXT really isn't going to cut it anymore.

Big thank you to ChaChaChaChia for sending me their 10% off coupon for the LEGO store. I am off work monday and plan on making a day trip up to MA and spending some quality time (and running up more debt on my credit card) there.

Thank you so much.

Current purchase plans (if it is in stock): VW Camper, Horizon Express, Series 9 figures, PAB cups (please be good selection!). If money permits: mini modulars.

Mini Modulars have been out almost a year now. Anyone think those will be around longer, or should I jump now? I am debating between mini modulars or Arkham Asylum to get when I go to the store. Minis will hurt less, but I like the new sheen of Arkham.

Mini Modulars have been out almost a year now. Anyone think those will be around longer, or should I jump now? I am debating between mini modulars or Arkham Asylum to get when I go to the store. Minis will hurt less, but I like the new sheen of Arkham.

Don't the exclusives usually show up at other stores as well after a few months? I haven't seen the Mini-Modulars being sold elsewhere. So might it make sense to get them when you have a 10% discount?

Don't the exclusives usually show up at other stores as well after a few months? I haven't seen the Mini-Modulars being sold elsewhere. So might it make sense to get them when you have a 10% discount?

Gonna use the 10% on Horizon Express, since it is $130. :) Save more.

And still debating about cashing in the $40 in VIP I have as well, or keep accumulating until I get half a B-Wing paid off. Still wanna wait until May 4th for that one...it will be a hard wait.

Gonna use the 10% on Horizon Express, since it is $130. :) Save more.

And still debating about cashing in the $40 in VIP I have as well, or keep accumulating until I get half a B-Wing paid off. Still wanna wait until May 4th for that one...it will be a hard wait.

Oh, the coupon is not on the total purchase? Just a single set?

Marko723

Neo Member
Man Marko, that's quite a gift for them! I live on my own so anything I buy goes directly to me, no kids needed. ...Unfortunately I don't yet have the means to buy that much anyway.

The sets were purchased over the course of about 3 months prior to Xmas. I averaged about 25% savings or more by shopping around and also leveraging retail store 'price beating' policies. For the most part I think I was lucky on a few larger set by stacking some store coupons against sets that were already on sale. My wife thinks I went way over budget, but I'm having as much fun as the kids are. I guess I should mention that the sets I bought myself, are still boxed. I've just been helping build the ones the kids have....... For now

wetwired

I've been oggling the haunted house on a dutch bricklink store all week, they went from 8 in stock 3 days ago to 2 this morning so I pounced. Works out to be about AUD$225 with postage to Australia so about AUD$45 off what is it on AU shop@home ($270).

I also grabbed the monster fighters halloween accessory pack and the card holder pack below, solely for all the nice printed letter tiles it comes with.

LEGO-Business-Card-Holder-set.jpg

I've been oggling the haunted house on a dutch bricklink store all week, they went from 8 in stock 3 days ago to 2 this morning so I pounced. Works out to be about AUD$225 with postage to Australia so about AUD$45 off what is it on AU shop@home ($270).

I also grabbed the monster fighters halloween accessory pack and the card holder pack below, solely for all the nice printed letter tiles it comes with.

LEGO-Business-Card-Holder-set.jpg
Whoa. Love the card holder and letters. Hmmm...

Anyone with a Meijer nearby should check for clearance. I got the 4434 Dump Truck, 4402 Mining Truck, 5884 Raptor Chase, and 5583 Tower Takedown all for 50% off. They had a big set with the T-rex but not at 50% off yet so I'll just watch that one for now. Probably going to wait on opening the Dino sets to see if they appreciate in value after they're gone. Also picked up a Ninjago polybag for half off.

Phon what's the dark gray MOC on the left with the gattling guns in the front? i don't remember that one.

Do you have all your pics collected in one place?

First off, the gatling guns are not part of the MOC. I made those ages ago for a Monster Fighter MOC that went nowhere. But I want to keep them and maybe get them into the steampunk ship I want to make once I take down Queen Anne's Revenge.

As for the MOC in question, I will just copy and paste the post from the other thread.

From back at the end of August.

I had to finish it and take pics before bed. I would not be able to sleep without doing it.
I present the Bookshop Around the Corner (or whatever cute name I think of later.)

Exterior

Awnings on each floor, along with some of the minor exterior details.

Backside of the building. There is no back exit like most modular buildings. This was mainly due to the lack of me having another door piece, but it also allowed me to make a larger building.

First Floor

Window displays. I had originally put the actual book pieces (like that came with the LOTR sets) in the windows, but they fell off too easily. And going to using regular plates it allowed me to keep adding books all over the store.

The big display table for all the hot, new releases.

The front cash register. Of course, the Merc With the Mouth is on customer service.

"No. For the last time! The book by Mary Shelley is in fiction, not biography!"

Second Floor

"One does not simply walk into the Science Fiction/Fantasy section."

Boromir browses the table stacks...

Endcap displays featuring popular selections.

Third Floor

"HULK LOOKING FOR BOOK CALLED 'SMASHING FOR DUMMIES'!"

"HULK ALSO LOOKING FOR 'FIFTY SHADES OF GREY'!"

First off, the gatling guns are not part of the MOC. I made those ages ago for a Monster Fighter MOC that went nowhere. But I want to keep them and maybe get them into the steampunk ship I want to make once I take down Queen Anne's Revenge.
Oh, I remember this one now. The gatling guns threw me off; thought it was a citadel or something.

wetwired

As for the MOC in question, I will just copy and paste the post from the other thread.

From back at the end of August.

I had to finish it and take pics before bed. I would not be able to sleep without doing it.
I present the Bookshop Around the Corner (or whatever cute name I think of later.)

Exterior

Awnings on each floor, along with some of the minor exterior details.

Backside of the building. There is no back exit like most modular buildings. This was mainly due to the lack of me having another door piece, but it also allowed me to make a larger building.

First Floor

Window displays. I had originally put the actual book pieces (like that came with the LOTR sets) in the windows, but they fell off too easily. And going to using regular plates it allowed me to keep adding books all over the store.

The big display table for all the hot, new releases.

The front cash register. Of course, the Merc With the Mouth is on customer service.

"No. For the last time! The book by Mary Shelley is in fiction, not biography!"

Second Floor

"One does not simply walk into the Science Fiction/Fantasy section."

Boromir browses the table stacks...

Endcap displays featuring popular selections.

Third Floor

"HULK LOOKING FOR BOOK CALLED 'SMASHING FOR DUMMIES'!"

"HULK ALSO LOOKING FOR 'FIFTY SHADES OF GREY'!"

That's a lovely collection of pubes and pet hair you have there

Been lurking here on the LEGO thread since about November waiting for my NeoGAF account to be active. Just received the confirmation e-mail today.

It's been almost 30 years since I last used LEGO. My kids (6 and 7-1/2) have just started taking an interest in it over this past summer with a couple of the smaller 200 piece sets in the Lego City line.

I think I might have over done their Xmas this year.

DSC02062b_zpscb15af6a.jpg

The Excavator was a gift for myself from 'Santa'. ;-) I started to get caught up in buying sets at pre-xmas sales, that when I saw it I just had to grab it for myself. My kids were a little surprised that 'Dad' also got LEGO for Xmas from Santa.

I think I'm hooked now, as I just picked up the Queen Anne and the Black Pearl last week, and I'm looking at the Fire Brigade and the Grand Emporium as the next 2 on my list.
Welcome to LEGOGAF™, the best GAF™ :D

looks like you went in on the deep end of the pool :D

Rootbeer

Banned
Nice LEGO TMNT Sewer Lair MOC From a technodrome member. Look at the earlier pics in the thread for more of the training room and such. If you watch the Nickelodeon show you'll find it is pretty show-accurate.
samxsteal said:
Mk so here is the Update With photos of the moc here is the over view of the whole moc
530727_10151434273183013_2073200698_n.jpg

6397_10151434273768013_1061836239_n.jpg

now with the top of Focusing on Splinter and the turtles
59963_10151434285758013_1986533842_n.jpg

226654_10151434285358013_367741905_n.jpg

Splinters room
36534_10151434275963013_1427939293_n.jpg

Turtles rooms
424069_10151434275678013_236068884_n.jpg

Then Donnie's Garage Fit on top of that
541942_10151434274293013_1611993771_n.jpg

Ok know for the kitchen and Donnie's Lab
75016_10151434274593013_969889868_n.jpg

19928_10151434275318013_1213591130_n.jpg

408552_10151434274843013_1811167674_n.jpg

So what do you all think of the Moc as a whole I tried using more Pipe looking pieces to give it the look of being in a sewer

Ive had to used pretty much all of my lego bricks in this Moc but it was well worth it now all i gotta do is find a place to put it lol. Cant wait for feed back. and thanks in advanced

That's a lovely collection of pubes and pet hair you have there

Pet hair. I have two cats, and one of them sheds like a machine. We could vacuum and twenty minutes later the apartment would look like we never vacuumed. I think she just likes keeping it messy.

486857_10152211559725118_2094113201_n.jpg

She always looks perpetually annoyed. That is why we love her.

Top Bottom