• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO GAF |OT2|: Building Dreams. Demolishing Wallets

Walked into target and thought I'd test out their new price matching policy. For those that may not have heard, they will now price match amazon, toys r us, wal mart and best buy all year round.

Price matched the Bane Tumbler Chase set no problem. Just flashed it on my phone and they punched it in. Took all of maybe 8 seconds. Then got my Target Card 5% off on top of that :D

Might be worth shopping at target more often guys!

If only my Target had a good selection of sets. :(

Going back out soon. Hopefully find series 9 today. Still no sign here in central CT. Urgh! Might just have to wait until I make that day trip to the LEGO store in MA in a few weeks.

Also, I know Ghostmind got Horizon Express, but did anyone else? I am wondering if anyone has built it yet.

Rootbeer

Banned
Did you do it at the Customer Service desk?

Nope! right at the register. The employee was really nice though and even commented on the Adventure Time plush dolls I also got :p Some other employees might make it harder. I'll cross that road when it comes!

Going back out soon. Hopefully find series 9 today. Still no sign here in central CT. Urgh! Might just have to wait until I make that day trip to the LEGO store in MA in a few weeks.

Also, I know Ghostmind got Horizon Express, but did anyone else? I am wondering if anyone has built it yet.
I went into Target monday and they were resetting shelves. Didn't go yesterday. But this morning I found tons of Chima, 2013 City, and a spotty selection of the new Star Wars, TMNT and Super Hero stuff. I don't know how it works at Target but usually the stores do a reset around the same time I imagine. Should be soon.

I did *not* find series 9 there, nor any series 8. However a big chunk of the LEGO shelf was empty so I think they are still in the process of setting it up.

ghostmind

I'm going to be starting rebuilding my 5 modulars next week, and then it's time for the 3 trains... so given my speed at these things, it will be a while.

I'm going to be starting rebuilding my 5 modulars next week, and then it's time for the 3 trains... so given my speed at these things, it will be a while.

So if I rush, I might be first with Horizon built eh? Still debating about that or Arkham for the set to get along side the VW camper.

ghostmind

So if I rush, I might be first with Horizon built eh? Still debating about that or Arkham for the set to get along side the VW camper.

I guarantee you will beat me. My goal is to get those modulars done by March 1st (approx. 1 per week) so I'll be ready for the Palace Cinema.

TheGrue

Well, LegoGAF, I've put together a few sets now since finally jumping head first into my new (as an adult) Lego hobby. I'd mentioned before that I bought Weathertop and Quin Jet as my first two sets, but oddly enough, those weren't the first two I put together. I was out of town when I bought them and didn't want to put them together and then try to transport them back home in the car. So, I bought the Star Wars Desert Skiff set while I was out of town and put that together.

Then I discovered those Star Wars planet sets and bought Death Star and Naboo of those. I really love those sets because it makes for a cool display with how you get a little ship and a minifig. I will definitely get more of those. On the way back home, I saw that Fire Brigade was on sale at Amazon and I got that in yesterday. I also bought Pre Vizsla's Mandalorian Fighter after stopping in a small town Wal Mart on the way home and thinking it looked cool.

Once I got home, the first thing I did was put together the Mandalorian Fighter. I did Weather top last night. Will do Quin Jet next and save that sweet Fire Brigade set for last. Then I probably have to take a little break from buying stuff before my wife kills me.

Once I got home, the first thing I did was put together the Mandalorian Fighter. I did Weather top last night. Will do Quin Jet next and save that sweet Fire Brigade set for last. Then I probably have to take a little break from buying stuff before my wife kills me.

Let her help with Fire Brigade. Or at least see all the little details in it as you build it. It is the thing that helped my wife not kill me. Once she saw the little things in modulars she understood the obsession.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Sarcasm?

Yeah, when your cup is overflowing, and they put that tape on, it's kinda like you're drunk and their saying: "Look buddy, that's it for you, you've had enough for today!"

*hic* *hands over VIP card with goofy grin, then swipes card*

No, I got one of the Christmas boxes and knowing the size means I'm better armed to fill it efficiently without bursting the box.

iuuk

Are you sure you didn't buy from a private seller on amazon? Free shipping doesn't apply to those (except when they expressly choose to).
Nope, a regular Amazon order. Maybe they just don't like me. Ah well, it was still relatively cheap, so I'm satisfied.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
If i am thinking of grabbing the Tower Bridge (which could be retired soon) should i get it now or wait until May for some discounts maybe?

Now - you're UK right? AFOL day in feb could be good with 15% off if you can get to a lego store. Also check brickbadger as amazon Italy and Spain often have pretty big discounts on it.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
cool new moc at rebrickable
MOC-0492.jpg

http://rebrickable.com/mocs/DanSto/...oc&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=newmocthresh

did you click the link in my post?

I got the instructions for that mini R2, he sends you bricklink XML files too. Definitely going to build that to sit alongside his bigger brother

mrklaw

MrArseFace
See how easily i can be swayed? Damn you!!

Unless a set is TRULY horrible, i can pretty much be convinced easily of it's supposed assets :(

Now i am reconsidering it... the outside DOES look good, if i saw it on sale somewhere i'd probably get it but full price on something i am not 100% convinced off is tough these days hmmm... Especially since nobody knows what the next modular will be, or are there rumors out yet?

It'll be ages until another corner

Ground floor is well stocked, and the upper floors are there for you to decorate :)

I think a nice modular street would be grand emporium, pet shop,fire brigade and palace cinema. You really want two or buildings in the middle to give it good proportions. And fire brigade is a fun build. Or just wait for the next modular to expand.

Last night I started working on a Mini-modular version of the upcoming Cinema set. There's a Flickr account posted a page or two back that seems to have enough angles of the set that I should be able to get all the main details (unless there's a window or door on the very back).

After making the Mini-Pet Shop and Mini-Town Hall, this one is definitely coming along a little more smoothly. I should be able to use a few of the techniques that the Mini-Grand Emporium and Cafe used since they are both corner buildings as well.

One quick question I had about the set if anyone knows, but what are the specific names of the two tan colors used on the Cinema? There seems to be a darker tan and a lighter tan, but I don't know the exact color names.

Once I get this one designed to my liking I think I will finally Bricklink the pieces I need for Mini modular versions of the Pet Shop, Town Hall, AND Cinema all in one go. Should save me on shipping at the very least. There honestly aren't many official sets that interest me at the moment, so it will be fun to put together these MOCs.
(I might also get pieces to expand my Minecraft set to be larger, like 3x3 moduals instead of 2x2).

Wow, that looks pretty great. Seems to be missing R2's eye, but it seems like it would be an easy fix to add it.

Unless there's a structural reason you can't, I would remove the grey 1x4 plate above his "nose" and the 1x1 plate above that. Then replace those with one 2x2 round black tile (maybe one of those 2x2 round radar dish pieces to get the "Lens" look). And if possible replace the pieces right behind it to blue so that it matches a bit closer.

Now - you're UK right? AFOL day in feb could be good with 15% off if you can get to a lego store. Also check brickbadger as amazon Italy and Spain often have pretty big discounts on it.

Nope, mainland Europe here... What IS this AFOL day i keep hearing about? Is that an in store thing only for the UK/US then or...?

SpeedNut

Hi everyone! I've been trying to catch up on the thread here, and I saw the creator house and the modular house series mentioned here. I have an old Metroliner set that I want to try and build a town around but I'm not sure of the scale of these as well as the likelihood to finish the set. I also have the winter village (haven't built yet, in the process of moving, yuck!) so like I mentioned I'm trying to see what set the scale will work with.

Thanks!

Toys r us: no series 9. But they had passenger train, cargo train, and red cargo train in stock. Was quite tempting.
Target: nothing. Crap. Well, they had the Friends pet poly bags. That was tempting as well.
Wal mart: what Lego aisle? Place was destroyed. They did have the City ambulance clearanced for $10. Almost snagged it for parts, but none were really screaming to me. They also had the Friends pool set on the clearance aisle with a red tag, but it rang up normal price. If it were clearanced I would've jumped.

No luck finding any good deals lately.

Hi everyone! I've been trying to catch up on the thread here, and I saw the creator house and the modular house series mentioned here. I have an old Metroliner set that I want to try and build a town around but I'm not sure of the scale of these as well as the likelihood to finish the set. I also have the winter village (haven't built yet, in the process of moving, yuck!) so like I mentioned I'm trying to see what set the scale will work with.

Thanks!
Looks like this and rerelease are both minifig scale so any of those should be to scale.

lingiii

Banned
hey, does anyone know of any good LEGO tshirts?

I found some knockoff kinda stuff just searching around, but can't seem to come up with an official logo tee or anything.

Rootbeer

Banned
FYI if any of the 2013 LEGO sets were out of stock on amazon that you wanted, they restocked a lot of them today. Mr. Freeze/Aquaman set already sold out... I grabbed the last one :p But back in stock again on the 11th.

Applied for yet another job at LEGO corporate. I have been trying to get out of my job for the last couple of years, and just feel that I bombed that phone interview with LEGO last summer so hard that I am forever doomed.

Just really want to get out of my current situation and find something I am actually happy with and don't feel like my job will disappear any day.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Applied for yet another job at LEGO corporate. I have been trying to get out of my job for the last couple of years, and just feel that I bombed that phone interview with LEGO last summer so hard that I am forever doomed.

Just really want to get out of my current situation and find something I am actually happy with and don't feel like my job will disappear any day.
Good luck!

ruxtpin

Banned
Good luck Phon! I looked for something on their corporate site as well, but I didn't see that many I.T. related jobs in my line of work. I spose' I'll check periodically.

Mines of Moria came in the mail today...not going to tell you how much I spent because it wasn't as low as I would have liked, but I'm happy nonetheless. Was going to save it for this weekend but I don't think I'll be able to resist starting tonight...

Hey bud, wishing you the best of luck.

R-User!

I hope that you're fortunate enough to get it! That would be great for you!

Naka

Good luck man. I just had an interview with a big company that would have been my dream job and it was pretty rough, so I know how you feel. What is the position you are applying for if you don't mind me asking?

Good luck man. I just had an interview with a big company that would have been my dream job and it was pretty rough, so I know how you feel. What is the position you are applying for if you don't mind me asking?

Sales Support Team Leader. A customer service position. I applied for many positions there over the months and had a phone interview last summer for a merchandising position and BOMBED (I mean, you could make a new dictionary entry for it) the phone interview for that. It was horrible. I am more prepared for anything this time.

My current job (retail slave my whole life) is not feeling too secure. The economy and Amazon have put the hurt on whom I work for hard, and recent events at work do not make me feel like I have much more than a couple of years before it all falls down.
I do only have to wait a year or so until my wife finishes her PhD, then she will make enough money for us both. But I just need to get into a job I actually feel good in. Spending the last few years trying to escape and getting shot down at every turn does not feel good.

Thanks to some great detective work by my work mate, I now have the 3 minifigs from the latest series.

C9g7h.jpg

Elrond wanted to be in the photo too.

I received my Unimog that I bought on eBay and something is definitely fishy. The order got delivered directly from Lego S@H and also included the free Chima polybag (that is what made me check the receipt; something I never do). The 'Sold To' on the receipt had a different name than the one I see on my eBay/Paypal transaction.

I called eBay and they say they cannot do anything about it as the buyer received the product and the seller received the payment.

I called S@H and they said it definitely looks fishy but there is nothing they can do at this point as nothing seems to be flagged at their end.

Not really sure what's going on. I am going to hold off any further eBay Lego purchases. (This was my second one. The first one was normal, I went back and checked the receipt).

R-User!

Sales Support Team Leader. A customer service position. I applied for many positions there over the months and had a phone interview last summer for a merchandising position and BOMBED (I mean, you could make a new dictionary entry for it) the phone interview for that. It was horrible. I am more prepared for anything this time.

My current job (retail slave my whole life) is not feeling too secure. The economy and Amazon have put the hurt on whom I work for hard, and recent events at work do not make me feel like I have much more than a couple of years before it all falls down.
I do only have to wait a year or so until my wife finishes her PhD, then she will make enough money for us both. But I just need to get into a job I actually feel good in. Spending the last few years trying to escape and getting shot down at every turn does not feel good.

I know how you feel as I've gone through years of retail my whole life too, and only recently had the fortune to be able to quit and begin to pursue what I really want to do; though the holidays and my habits really put a wedge (cheese) in my momentum. But I hav goals that are being accomplished fily and I am confident that I will achieve them and more!

R-User!

Can't for the life of me think what's holding up the Orc, clearly Lurtz isn't touching the Orc but can anyone tell me how he is doing it in this video?

I fast forwarded to that part and rich now I'm too sleepy to surmise just what the hell is holding up that Orc. And in I wasn't, I still don't think that I would be able to figure it out. That orcs foot is on top of Lurtz's, and it looks like the must have used somehing to hold them still; maybe a clamp?

neonglow

I received my Unimog that I bought on eBay and something is definitely fishy. The order got delivered directly from Lego S@H and also included the free Chima polybag (that is what made me check the receipt; something I never do). The 'Sold To' on the receipt had a different name than the one I see on my eBay/Paypal transaction.

I called eBay and they say they cannot do anything about it as the buyer received the product and the seller received the payment.

I called S@H and they said it definitely looks fishy but there is nothing they can do at this point as nothing seems to be flagged at their end.

Not really sure what's going on. I am going to hold off any further eBay Lego purchases. (This was my second one. The first one was normal, I went back and checked the receipt).

It's the dropship scam that's been going around. You can read more details here:

www.bricksetforum.com/discussion/26...ego-etc-ebay-amazon-marketplace-bricklink-etc

If you get more shipments this way, S@H will start flagging your address and refuse to send to it.

It's the dropship scam that's been going around. You can read more details here:

www.bricksetforum.com/discussion/26...ego-etc-ebay-amazon-marketplace-bricklink-etc

If you get more shipments this way, S@H will start flagging your address and refuse to send to it.

!

I didn't make the connection to that thread. So it looks like they use stolen CCs?

I can't see too much I can do at this time. I asked S@H to contact me if they notice something in the next couple of weeks so that I can ship the item back to them. In case they do contact me, I hope it is before my eBay protection expires.

Top Bottom