• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO GAF |OT2|: Building Dreams. Demolishing Wallets

wetwired

I've started roughing out my ghostbusters HQ so I know what parts I need to order. I've kinda got the front façade blocked out but it's about 3/4 as high as it needs to be (I ran out of pieces) and I'd say it's nearly as tall as the town hall already. When it's done I reckon it'll be about 10+ bricks higher than the town hall (not counting the bell tower)

It's gonna be huge as it'll be on 2x 32x32 baseplates as well. The front starts about 8 studs in from the front and the footpath down the right side is 4 wide. So when it it's done it'll be about 28 wide by 52 deep by about by about 42 high.

Pet hair. I have two cats, and one of them sheds like a machine. We could vacuum and twenty minutes later the apartment would look like we never vacuumed. I think she just likes keeping it messy.

486857_10152211559725118_2094113201_n.jpg

She always looks perpetually annoyed. That is why we love her.

Yeah I've got a few photos on flickr that I've posted up there and only later to notice cat hair all over them.

Are you doing the containment unit? That was located in the basement so I'm curious how you plan on pulling it off.

Also, if you're looking for interior details the Ghostbusters video game is fantastic for a virtual walk through of the firehouse.

Here's a eye catching Ecto 1:

http://youtu.be/cEfJojIt-pc

iuuk

After building Grand Emporium I needed to find room for it, so most of my sets had to move somewhere else. But everyone likes pictures, right?

I'm a terrible photographer, but at least my camera compensates that a little.

Marko723

Neo Member
Welcome to LEGOGAF™, the best GAF™ :D

looks like you went in on the deep end of the pool :D

Thanks. My wife feels the same way, my kids think I'm cool. The modulars are pretty pricy in Canada, and not many places carry them. Was hoping for free shipping or double VIP points to come around before I pick these. ToysRus never seems to place these on sales, if anything, some of their sets seem to be above retail.

Target is set to enter the Canadian market this year. I'm hoping they shake up the market here. Our Walmarts' suck for selection on the large sets.

Nitemare1

Target is set to enter the Canadian market this year. I'm hoping they shake up the market here. Our Walmarts' suck for selection on the large sets.

Yeah the Walmarts are pretty bad. Usually when I'm in a different city or town with one I browse the LEGO section just to see what they have and it's always a very random selection.
Some have huge LEGO isles and others have scraps they share with mega blocks and kreeo.

Was really surprised when I went to pick up coffee this morning and the one near me had a bunch of the Chima sets. I actually picked up Laval's Fighter for the soul reason it comes with 4 rubber tank treads. looks like my Snowmobile and tank MOC's are finally a go! LOL

Thanks. My wife feels the same way, my kids think I'm cool. The modulars are pretty pricy in Canada, and not many places carry them. Was hoping for free shipping or double VIP points to come around before I pick these. ToysRus never seems to place these on sales, it anything, some of their sets seem to be above retail.

RCSS has some LEGO on sale right now. Just got back from a Superstore and they had a few Buildable Galaxy sets for 6.44 and a couple other 50% City sets

Marko723

Neo Member
Yeah the Walmarts are pretty bad. Usually when I'm in a different city or town with one I browse the LEGO section just to see what they have and it's always a very random selection.
Some have huge LEGO isles and others have scraps they share with mega blocks and kreeo.

Was really surprised when I went to pick up coffee this morning and the one near me had a bunch of the Chima sets. I actually picked up Laval's Fighter for the soul reason it comes with 4 rubber tank treads. looks like my Snowmobile and tank MOC's are finally a go! LOL

Most of the items I purchased so far have been from on-line retailers. I found them to have the better deals on average and I can price compare pretty quickly.

Sears.ca and Chapters both have coupons. Sears is usually a percentage off a total and they have lots of restrictions, but you can still get deals. I picked up the City Police station from them when it was on sale for 20%, and I was able to use a 20% coupon on the sale price. Chapters, it's usually $5 off a $30 purchase monthly. I pick up the smaller sets and use the coupon more that once (2-3 orders), and if you're just shy of the $30, add a mini figure to bring up the total.

The other nice thing with on-line shopping is the $cash kick back when you shop through the site called GreatCanadianRebates. If you start out at this site, and click through to say Walmart or even the Lego Store itself, they get a referral fee, and they share that with you. Rebates go straight to your PayPal account and can range from 2% to 6% or higher. It adds up after a while. The Lego Store is 2% kick-back

Don't forget to check the Airmiles website for codes. At times I double dipped if the merchant offers airmiles. Enter the code at checkout and get bonus airmiles on top of the kickback. I've done this many times when picked up clothes for my kids at The ChildrensPlace. 6% kick-back and 30 bonus airmiles.

Marko723

Neo Member
RCSS has some LEGO on sale right now. Just got back from a Superstore and they had a few Buildable Galaxy sets for 6.44 and a couple other 50% City sets

Thanks, I may have to check out the local RCSS. Still have to dig out from the dump of snow we had last night, drifted pretty bad in my driveway and street.

Thanks, I may have to check out the local RCSS. Still have to dig out from the dump of snow we had last night, drifted pretty bad in my driveway and street.

What part of Canada are you in? I finally finished shoveling my way out of the snow that got dumped on NL.

And yeah, the price difference in Canada blows. Luckily, I've done a lot of traveling over the past year so I was able to nab a couple of modulars and arkham asylum for decent prices. Plus I have an aunt in Montana who hooked me up with the fire brigade when it was on sale at wal mart!

Marko723

Neo Member
Where are you? I went for a jog in shorts today! 15 degrees outside of Toronto.

I'm in Winnipeg. We started the week off with plus zero temperatures that continued up until yesterday. Here's a pic from my security camera after I dug the car and truck out of the drift. My wife's Van has a warm home in the Garage.

Snow1a_zps7831fae8.png

The car is still a mess from driving in the shush earlier in the week. I also cleaned up the street in front after the plows, so my wife can turn and back in to the garage. Drift was about 16 inches deep in spots. Oh, and its -20c today.

So this morning my wife and i went to the Lego Store... first official trip there EVER!

And... though i was a little disappointed they had literally NO special pieces in the PUB wall including the FOLIAGE i really really wanted, we had a great time!

Why didn't you guys tell me about this "Create a Minifig" feature though? I never heard of that one before and we had a blast putting together different creations :) This could be so much better than it already was if they had a ton more "unique" torsos and accessories hmm

Anyway, this is what we came up with:

CreateaMinifig_zpse6a5e841.jpg

"The Wrestler", "The Gentleman", and the uhhh...well whatever ;)

Marko723

Neo Member
Pet hair. I have two cats, and one of them sheds like a machine. We could vacuum and twenty minutes later the apartment would look like we never vacuumed. I think she just likes keeping it messy.

486857_10152211559725118_2094113201_n.jpg

She always looks perpetually annoyed. That is why we love her.

I used to have a Maine Coon before we found out my son was allergic to cats. Fur all over the place. I found the Furminator to be pretty good at reducing amount of fur around the house. He also preferred this brush to any of the others I purchased.

The added bonus it that it also reduced the furballs around the house. Nothing like stepping on a fresh one in the middle of the night. UGH!

wetwired

wetwired is on the Brick Show!

http://youtu.be/WZoYqN8deaI

Congrats on getting this exposure for your Tumbler. I've already voted for it on CUUSOO (http://lego.cuusoo.com/ideas/view/8919), but all of LEGO-GAF needs to make sure they sign up for CUUSOO and show their support. Go wetwired!

Cool I was wondering when that would go up. I felt I did a pretty poor job though as I've never done anything like that before. Compared to the guys on the show I am one off as pretty dry.

ghostmind

Cool I was wondering when that would go up. I felt I did a pretty poor job though as I've never done anything like that before. Compared to the guys on the show I am one off as pretty dry.

Ah, you did fine. The Brick Show guys have hundreds of videos worth of experience, and this is their (part-time) jobs. I am glad to see them opening up the show to guest presenters.

Vyroxis

Banned
Well, after finding a single buyer for all my old 90s eras sets I am psyched to get into the new Star Wars sets. Question is, go for the starfighters for more sets, or go with the big ships for longer builds?

wetwired

XnW2U.jpg

Supposedly an Iron Man 3 "War Machine" minifig, being sold on eBay.

Sold

Are you doing the containment unit? That was located in the basement so I'm curious how you plan on pulling it off.

Also, if you're looking for interior details the Ghostbusters video game is fantastic for a virtual walk through of the firehouse.

wow that's really nice, in scale with the minifigs too which most I've seen are too big (I guess all those curves make it hard to scale down.) That's pretty much perfectly in scale with my building entrance too. Love those lights, are they official lego parts? I'll definately using that design as a starting point, I'll probably have my own take on it to some degree.

ghostmind

Well, after finding a single buyer for all my old 90s eras sets I am psyched to get into the new Star Wars sets. Question is, go for the starfighters for more sets, or go with the big ships for longer builds?

Whatever you have space for. I like the bigger sets more, but they eat up a lot of real estate. Conversely, I'm also thinking of setting up a Tatooine display sometime this year with all the related sets (including the Sail Barge when it releases), and I'll proably have a bunch of small and midsize-to-large sets as part of that.

Was so tempted to do the drive to LEGO store tonight, but driving an hour and a half in the rain at night was enough to dissuade me. Besides, if I go Monday morning it will be less crowded.

Just itching to get there now that I got the coupon.

So this morning my wife and i went to the Lego Store... first official trip there EVER!

And... though i was a little disappointed they had literally NO special pieces in the PUB wall including the FOLIAGE i really really wanted, we had a great time!

Why didn't you guys tell me about this "Create a Minifig" feature though? I never heard of that one before and we had a blast putting together different creations :) This could be so much better than it already was if they had a ton more "unique" torsos and accessories hmm

Anyway, this is what we came up with:

[IG]http://i1282.photobucket.com/albums/a525/kurillin5/CreateaMinifig_zpse6a5e841.jpg[/IMG]

"The Wrestler", "The Gentleman", and the uhhh...well whatever ;)

My nephew (4 yo) loved the Create-A-Minifig section. This was what he came up with. Rather colourful.

http://i.imgur.com/sGJNN.jpg?1

Alright, tentative purchase plans for Monday:
VW Camper Van (required)
Horizon Express (or mini modulars)
Series 9 figures
Few PAB cups

But what else? My brain says I should stop there and not go too nuts with money I dont have. Dont run up much more debt than that. But my manic "ZOMG I AM GOING TO THE LEGO STORE!" brain is saying that I have cash as well as lots of available credit.

I should just look at my limits without using credit. That is the sensible thing to do. But let's see how strong I am once I get into the store. Probably by that point my rational mind will take over and I will actually spend less than that.

Alright, tentative purchase plans for Monday:
VW Camper Van (required)
Horizon Express (or mini modulars)
Series 9 figures
Few PAB cups

But what else? My brain says I should stop there and not go too nuts with money I dont have. Dont run up much more debt than that. But my manic "ZOMG I AM GOING TO THE LEGO STORE!" brain is saying that I have cash as well as lots of available credit.

I should just look at my limits without using credit. That is the sensible thing to do. But let's see how strong I am once I get into the store. Probably by that point my rational mind will take over and I will actually spend less than that.

Do you have the Sopwith already?

Do you have the Sopwith already?

No. I was excited about it last year, but it waned after the reviews were out. I might jump eventually, but not itching. It really depends on what they have in stock there.

The only thing that makes me want to get the mini modulars is that everyone here raves about them. Same with VW Camper van. If I went for shiny and new I would get just Horizon Express and Arkham when I go.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
No. I was excited about it last year, but it waned after the reviews were out. I might jump eventually, but not itching. It really depends on what they have in stock there.

The only thing that makes me want to get the mini modulars is that everyone here raves about them. Same with VW Camper van. If I went for shiny and new I would get just Horizon Express and Arkham when I go.

People have been given the camel bad reviews? It's a great build.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

Mini modulars are great, and with your fondness for the big brother sets it really is a set you should get. VW is a must. I'd move horizon to maybe if you had to, it's only just out so will be around for the rest of the year at least

Do you already have the maersk and/or emerald night?

People have been given the camel bad reviews? It's a great build.

It's the opposite of the TIE fighter for me - an interesting build but a poor display piece. Will sell mine if I can get round to it, it's already dismantled.

iuuk

It's the opposite of the TIE fighter for me - an interesting build but a poor display piece. Will sell mine if I can get round to it, it's already dismantled.
Really? I love it as a display piece. Granted, it's a bit difficult to display considering its size and how it's built, but when you do have the space it looks great.

Then again, I had the same problem with the Shuttle Expedition, and everyone loves that one. Great build, but not as great as a display piece for me.

Mini modulars are great, and with your fondness for the big brother sets it really is a set you should get. VW is a must. I'd move horizon to maybe if you had to, it's only just out so will be around for the rest of the year at least

Do you already have the maersk and/or emerald night?

Maybe VW, mini modulars, and a few smaller sets like Galaxy Squad or TMNT. But yeah, I have a year or more for Horizon. And I only just got Maersk at Christmas.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
What are your VIP point spending tactics? Save it up and then buy something for 'free' with it, or use it to make a more expensive set more palatable?

I have £50 now which I could either use on horizon express, making it only £18 (after 15% off on AFOL day in feb), or chop £50 off palace cinema?

I realise ultimately its still the same amount of money, just curious how you spend yours?

What are your VIP point spending tactics? Save it up and then buy something for 'free' with it, or use it to make a more expensive set more palatable?

I have £50 now which I could either use on horizon express, making it only £18 (after 15% off on AFOL day in feb), or chop £50 off palace cinema?

I realise ultimately its still the same amount of money, just curious how you spend yours?
Last summer I redeemed $40 towards Death Star. I am back to $40 now and also have a Y Wing to return for credit. Debating about cashing in the $40 now or to keep piling up for May 4th and the B Wing. Thinking I might just cash it in on Monday.

Fantomex

Guys is the dessert skiff Star Wars set going out of print? They have one here at Target. Haven't been seeing it lately at the Lego stores.

Phonc, be prepared to spend some time there. Went I went last year, I had my family with me, an I ended up spending about 2 hours just at the PAB wall. Trying to figure out which pieces I wanted, then trying to jimmy them into a cup. Wife was not happy. :)

Plan on an hour for 2 cups. ;)

Guys is the dessert skiff Star Wars set going out of print? They have one here at Target. Haven't been seeing it lately at the Lego stores.

Could be. My Target clearanced them out before Christmas, and I haven't seen any since. Glad I grabbed one.

Hero

My gf got me the TIE fighter for Christmas. She's awesome.

But yeah, the build was really super boring but it is an awesome display piece.

I really need to build stands for it and the X-wing to get them into 'action movement poses.' Anyone have links to easy stands to build for them?

ghostmind

Next weekend at Brick Fair should see the official unveiling (and probably a designer video) of the Palace Cinema. We'll probably have a good idea of what is, and is not, a sticker in that set then, as well as a price and release date.

wetwired

sorry I forgot to comment on the interior. It's for an expo as part of a street diorama so I'm not doing the interior. Maybe the year after I will add the interior but yeah I'd have to raise it up off the baseplates somehow to do a basement.

My gf got me the TIE fighter for Christmas. She's awesome.

But yeah, the build was really super boring but it is an awesome display piece.

I really need to build stands for it and the X-wing to get them into 'action movement poses.' Anyone have links to easy stands to build for them?

I dont have instructions, but here is the stand I built last summer for my X-Wing and Y-Wing. You can look at it closely and figure out how to build it. The trick with the X-Wing was giving it enough clearance in the middle for the wings.

POWJQl.jpg

Qp7iLl.jpg

GFRXFl.jpg

ZqQ7ol.jpg

IPvMAl.jpg

Y-Wing was a bit easier because you could just simply run Technic axles through the body and connect the sides.

cOYrXl.jpg

hA2XTl.jpg

zxRSnl.jpg

oe363l.jpg

On a different note, I have now torn down the Haunted House diorama. The Haunted House itself will stay up on a shelf for now, but the full display is now a goner. Perhaps I might bite on the Sopwith Camel and try and figure out a display stand for that to be in action pose. A nice, small challenge.

ghostmind

smuzk.jpg

My new build and display area. Five foot long shelves on either side of the table will provide for lots of display space, and a full run of modular buildings on top of one unit.

Just need a more comfortable chair... stole that one from the dining room.

Top Bottom