• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO GAF |OT2|: Building Dreams. Demolishing Wallets

smuzk.jpg

My new build and display area. Five foot long shelves on either side of the table will provide for lots of display space, and a full run of modular building on top of one unit.

Just need a more comfortable chair... stole that one from the dining room.

Man, I wish I had that kind of room. Jealous. Maybe in a few years my wife and I can get a bigger place or hopefully a house.

"Sunset in the desert"

I like the Sandtroopers, i wonder what else i can do with them :)

edit: Anyone know why here you can see some pixelation/artefacts or whatever that is around their heads when in the source picture (same resolution and size) i don't see that?

Hero

I dont have instructions, but here is the stand I built last summer for my X-Wing and Y-Wing. You can look at it closely and figure out how to build it. The trick with the X-Wing was giving it enough clearance in the middle for the wings.

On a different note, I have now torn down the Haunted House diorama. The Haunted House itself will stay up on a shelf for now, but the full display is now a goner. Perhaps I might bite on the Sopwith Camel and try and figure out a display stand for that to be in action pose. A nice, small challenge.

Yeah, you're the one with the sweet stands!

I'm really dumb when it comes to Lego, I have no way of identifying any of those pieces. Can I get them through Lego Shop @ Home Pick a Brick? I don't have any spare technic pieces or whatever.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Man, I wish I had that kind of room. Jealous. Maybe in a few years my wife and I can get a bigger place or hopefully a house.

I have a folding picnic table tucked away in the spare room for building, and am taking advantages of the space in my son's room for part storage. Will take some pics soon of my little display area.

I'd love to redo all my storage with neat units - like a garage with racks of smart snap-on tool drawers.

Ghost mind, lovely display area, but don't you think the build area is a bit small? Do you have any pics of your parts storage/organisation?

What are your VIP point spending tactics? Save it up and then buy something for 'free' with it, or use it to make a more expensive set more palatable?

I have £50 now which I could either use on horizon express, making it only £18 (after 15% off on AFOL day in feb), or chop £50 off palace cinema?

I realise ultimately its still the same amount of money, just curious how you spend yours?

I've got £95 in VIP's and I'm not sure what to do with them as yet. I was trying to build them up to make the Imperial Shuttle easier but then grabbed it from Amazon.it for about £160.

I may save a bit more and grab a second B-wing for free or some other large set I like.

wetwired

I thought I'd share Work In Progress Pics of the Ghostbusters Firehouse. I started just doing the front façade and a little of one side to figure out how many bricks I'd need to order to finish it, but as you can see from the second picture I had to sacrifice that side bit to have the front flesh outed.

I've already got about $60 worth of bricks I need to order on top of my LUGbrick order of 1200 1x2 dark red bricks and some other bits and pieces.

I've got plenty of time to finish as the expo isn't until September but I wanted to get a head start on it as I want to do a whole street.

There's lots of little details missing like the sign, front garage door and support details at the top, plus I have to recess the front windows back one brick to match the real building along with lots of little tweaks but I'm quite happy with the results so far. It worked about to be about 48 bricks high.

stage01.jpg

stage02.jpg

"Sunset in the desert"

I like the Sandtroopers, i wonder what else i can do with them :)

edit: Anyone know why here you can see some pixelation/artefacts or whatever that is around their heads when in the source picture (same resolution and size) i don't see that?
Imgur cimpresses images.

Wetwired. I like very clean so far :))

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Speaking of stands, has anyone made one for a ship?

Boat? You could probably make one fairly easily with roof tiles to create the necessary curve and make two of them like bookends. But I think all lego boats are flat-bottomed so you shouldn't need one?

Wetwired, I love how you've done the panes of glass in the arched window with the cheese slopes at the top

Great GB images

Looks great, almost makes me want to break down my FB and try to do a Ghostbusters HQ.

Speaking of stands, has anyone made one for a ship?

Theres a stand shown here at about 50 seconds in. It also rotates!

Went to Tesco's and grabbed a few Series 9 while there. Sadly there were no Chicken Suit Guys to be had but I crossed off two others I wanted.

Apologies for mobile photos.... finally found my DSLR charger though...

Falch

I thought I'd share Work In Progress Pics of the Ghostbusters Firehouse. I started just doing the front façade and a little of one side to figure out how many bricks I'd need to order to finish it, but as you can see from the second picture I had to sacrifice that side bit to have the front flesh outed.

I've already got about $60 worth of bricks I need to order on top of my LUGbrick order of 1200 1x2 dark red bricks and some other bits and pieces.

I've got plenty of time to finish as the expo isn't until September but I wanted to get a head start on it as I want to do a whole street.

There's lots of little details missing like the sign, front garage door and support details at the top, plus I have to recess the front windows back one brick to match the real building along with lots of little tweaks but I'm quite happy with the results so far. It worked about to be about 48 bricks high.

stage01.jpg

stage02.jpg

Looking great, wetwired! Keep us updated.

Finally picked up the Sopwith Camel and Damn is it nice. Spent 4 hours on it and got to the end and realized I screwed up the string to control the wing flaps at the very beginning(thought it was one long string not two). I got lucky and it wasn't as hard of a fix as I thought it would be.

ghostmind

I have a folding picnic table tucked away in the spare room for building, and am taking advantages of the space in my son's room for part storage. Will take some pics soon of my little display area.

I'd love to redo all my storage with neat units - like a garage with racks of smart snap-on tool drawers.

Ghost mind, lovely display area, but don't you think the build area is a bit small? Do you have any pics of your parts storage/organisation?

The table is as deep as it is wide, so I should be ok, save for building the largest of sets possibly. I used to build on my kitchen table.

All my un-built sets are stored, in their boxes, in my basement. So my current parts storage consists of only the extra pieces from the kits I have built, which surprisingly adds up after a bit.

Love that GB firehouse. Really looks like it. I wish I could build clean like that. My MOCs are always so messy at first. Did you use a program to design or are you building freestyle?

ghostmind

Looking at the Fire Brigade, you can see some clear similarities to the GB firehouse... wonder if they used it as inspiration?

Great job on the front of the building wetwired!

ghostmind

"Snowed In", a Winter Village MOC by legolegolegolego on Eurobricks.

1x0Lj.jpg

BVZS7.jpg

I don't normally post these, but the use of unique parts here and techniques is great!

sxI1k.jpg

those are awesome...

too cold though, inspired by warmer weather i did this earlier today:

:) i love that little "Surfer pack" we got in the Lego store the other day, came with a BBQ grill, some palm leaves and a parrot as well!

R-User!

Alright, tentative purchase plans for Monday:
VW Camper Van (required)
Horizon Express (or mini modulars)
Series 9 figures
Few PAB cups

But what else? My brain says I should stop there and not go too nuts with money I dont have. Dont run up much more debt than that. But my manic "ZOMG I AM GOING TO THE LEGO STORE!" brain is saying that I have cash as well as lots of available credit.

I should just look at my limits without using credit. That is the sensible thing to do. But let's see how strong I am once I get into the store. Probably by that point my rational mind will take over and I will actually spend less than that.

How much time do you have to spend there at the store?

Do you have time to feel out all 16 Minifigs and pack one or two PAB cups?

Wow, fantastic work wetwired.

A lot of terrific stuff in that moc ghostmind posted. I can't decide if that tree is great or bad. It looks great from that angle but it seems like it might not be from others. I might have to see it for myself! With the green spines from the galaxy squad sets, it might be possible to do something similar in green (though they are lime green).

wetwired

Wetwired, I love how you've done the panes of glass in the arched window with the cheese slopes at the top

They will actually be gone when I inset those windows by one stud :/

Looks great, almost makes me want to break down my FB and try to do a Ghostbusters HQ.!

All the dark grey you see is from the FB, you can see it doesn't go very far at that scale, you could probably make one a lot smaller though with the FB pieces and perhaps just the front.

Love that GB firehouse. Really looks like it. I wish I could build clean like that. My MOCs are always so messy at first. Did you use a program to design or are you building freestyle?

I blocked out the bottom part in Lego Digital Designer, mainly to get an idea of what size\heights I'd need. Next step will probably be to build all the bottom half while I wait for pieces to arrive and to make sure i have enough grey.

LDD.jpg

Love it. Already much better than the other MOC of this I've seen.

Yeah I have looked at a fair few MOCs of it and most are too small and use standard red rather than dark. Some I've seen use tan instead of grey which looked really odd to me.

Some have the grey bricks around the windows as tiles like the FB which does look nice but it's very accurate to the real building (plus it would need a shitload of headlight pieces and tiles) Others I've seen have added details that didn't even exist which is odd, like skylight on top (which admittedly did look nice) and arches on the top of the side windows.

R-User!

stage01.jpg

stage02.jpg

Looking at your pics on my iPhone, and they look great! I love the Ghostbusters, so I can't wait to see your end result; though I do like wip pics too! :)

ghostmind

Are those different colored 1x2 tiles used for the books in the bookshelf?

Looks like it - the Vampyre Castle does this as well, though I think this MOC steps it up by having an uneven surface underneath, causing some tiles to drop a bit, making it look like the books are not all the same size.

thinking of getting that Werewolf Monster Fighters set purely for the Werewolf and those hanging vines hmmm (and because it's 20% off @amazon) or where can else could you get these from?

also: i just ordered "Banana Balance" some silly monkey + tree game for 9.99 lol, it has quite a lot of green branches and brown tree pieces which i absolutely need more of and it comes with a crapload of bananas (which uhh will come in handy SOME day i just know it)

Buy. I'd buy another if amazon.com was showing the discount for me. It's only 2 cents off on mine.

The tree is kinda meh but the car and minifigs are great.

Buy. I'd buy another if amazon.com was showing the discount for me. It's only 2 cents off on mine.

The tree is kinda meh but the car and minifigs are great.

it is EU amazon sorry mate ;p

And yeah i meant if you could get the vines elsewhere... anyway i got one, if the discount woulda been more i woulda gotten 2 but alas...

Discounted werewolf is tempting, but I am cut off from LEGO purchases for a few weeks ;p And Rancor is next on my list. I'm not gonna build the palace 'til I get it

A buddy of mine works at a local place where they have LEGO display cases and he got to keep one and he gave me it for my birthday. Found out those things are glued together with the strongest glue I've ever seen. So we decided to salvage whatever pieces we could and I decided to take the motion cencored led lights and make my own home office display for my new Sopwith.

Excuse the shitty cell phone pic.

I was putting together the A-Wing with my daughter, and ran across our first bad piece in a set:

Looks like I'm calling Lego tomorrow.

How good is Lego with disfigured pieces? I have one deformed piece from my Shuttle Expedition. Do I have to show them pictorial proof? Is there a special email address to contact?

How good is Lego with disfigured pieces? I have one deformed piece from my Shuttle Expedition. Do I have to show them pictorial proof? Is there a special email address to contact?
Just go to their webpage. There's a contact page where you look up the set, then choose the piece, and "order" a replacement piece. They'll replace it without question.

Top Bottom