• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO GAF |OT2|: Building Dreams. Demolishing Wallets

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
So Star Wars geeks, how close are the scales on the OT ships. Is the UCS B-Wing actually closer to scale with the others than the old BWing set?

The monster fighters "the zombies" set was magnificent. The tombs are adorable. The car is badass.

I also got an absurd amount of enjoyment out of the mirkwood spiders set. I would seriously buy a 2000 piece set of forest or mountain scenery with zero buildings or large brickbuilt monsters. My dream wave of lego castle sets is pretty much just scenery packs with a handful of figures to fight in it. I want a foresssttttttt. This will be my bricklink order someday- lots of plants, and green, brown, grey, and blue pieces.

Missing the Sex Wing.

However, props for getting the Y Wing. Such an under appreciated set.

Thanks! Love the Y-Wing; very cool build, and the details achieved without stickers is awesome.

Not really a fan of the X-Wing, though. I like the not-so-popular ships from the OT. Same reason I won't get the TIE, too.

Oh, and Ackbar with a coffee mug is classic!

The monster fighters "the zombies" set was magnificent. The tombs are adorable. The car is badass.
Best Monster Fighter vehicle ever. Those hammers...

Thanks! Love the Y-Wing; very cool build, and the details achieved without stickers is awesome.

Not really a fan of the X-Wing, though. I like the not-so-popular ships from the OT. Same reason I won't get the TIE, too.

Oh, and Ackbar with a coffee mug is classic!
B-Wing is the most underrated and most bad ass ship. Can't wait to get the UCS version.

Got the SSD completed finally and then got my shelves mounted as well. Going to get another shelf too to go under the other speaker...which of course gives me an excuse to buy more Star Wars stuff.

Made a little mount for the Y-Wing out of leftover parts from my shuttle as it has the extra pieces if you don't use the stand and plan to do the same for the X-Wing if only to get them off the ground a little.

ssd.jpg

shuttle.jpg

Now you just need to get the Best Star and the B Wing. :)
I feel bad for saying it, but I've never cared that much for the B Wing though I sure wouldn't mind it for a gift.

If I could get the old Death Star II I'd jump on it, but the current one doesn't quite have that model feel to it.

I'm not 100% on what to get next. I like the Fury Class Sith Interceptor and maybe something else for another shelf.

Wow you are right, just checked ebay that is insane. I will probably end up buying one anyway because it's just way cool.

Prices have been falling slowly. If you have the patience, wait for another 1-2 years (I know that sounds like a lot). There is hope of a new one being released.

Batman

Banned
Prices have been falling slowly. If you have the patience, wait for another 1-2 years (I know that sounds like a lot). There is hope of a new one being released.

I can definitely wait. I used to put lego's together when I was much younger but I want to get back into it. It's a very addicting hobby but there is nothing like it because you put it together and show that you had the patience to do it.

I feel bad for saying it, but I've never cared that much for the B Wing though I sure wouldn't mind it for a gift.

If I could get the old Death Star II I'd jump on it, but the current one doesn't quite have that model feel to it.

I'm not 100% on what to get next. I like the Fury Class Sith Interceptor and maybe something else for another shelf.
While the current Death Star does not have the model look like all the other ships, the open playset nature of it actually gets the most attention of all the sets I have on display. People look at the models, but always end up staying at the Death Star to take in all the movie scenes and play them out. It is almost like a party piece.

Fowler

LEGO GAF... I have finally done it.

Pulled the trigger on the Death Star.

Been wanting this for AGES. Finally found a store with it in stock at a great price. Reserved it and picking it up on Saturday!

LEGO GAF... I have finally done it.

Pulled the trigger on the Death Star.

Been wanting this for AGES. Finally found a store with it in stock at a great price. Reserved it and picking it up on Saturday!
This will be a day long remembered. We saw the end of Kenobi, and shall soon see the end of the Rebellion.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Got the SSD completed finally and then got my shelves mounted as well. Going to get another shelf too to go under the other speaker...which of course gives me an excuse to buy more Star Wars stuff.

Made a little mount for the Y-Wing out of leftover parts from my shuttle as it has the extra pieces if you don't use the stand and plan to do the same for the X-Wing if only to get them off the ground a little.

ssd.jpg

shuttle.jpg

Beautiful. But doesn't the shuttle give you reflections off the screen when you're watching something?

lingiii

Banned
Oh baby went to the LEGO store at the mall here (Bellevue WA) to pick up a set for a buddy's birthday ('cuz fuck if my friends are ever going to have a birthday without a toy, grown-ass adults or not) and they're remodeling/expanding I'm so pumped. Lucky they have a lil temp spot too.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
So Star Wars geeks, how close are the scales on the OT ships. Is the UCS B-Wing actually closer to scale with the others than the old BWing set?

The B-Wing is 16.9 meters long (or wide...or tall...you know what I mean), the Y-Wing is 16 meters long, and the A-Wing is 9.6 meters long, so the three ships pictured above are actually pretty close to correct scale with one another. Obviously it's not perfect to the centimeter, but I would say they're close enough, particularly using the minifigs as a standard sizing unit.

Jabba's Palace is 30% off ugh i really don't want the set as i am not that convinced of it (especially without the Rancor pit which i also don't dig all that much) but dat price hmm... nahhh gotta stay strong!!

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
I thought I'd share Work In Progress Pics of the Ghostbusters Firehouse. I started just doing the front façade and a little of one side to figure out how many bricks I'd need to order to finish it, but as you can see from the second picture I had to sacrifice that side bit to have the front flesh outed.

I've already got about $60 worth of bricks I need to order on top of my LUGbrick order of 1200 1x2 dark red bricks and some other bits and pieces.

I've got plenty of time to finish as the expo isn't until September but I wanted to get a head start on it as I want to do a whole street.

There's lots of little details missing like the sign, front garage door and support details at the top, plus I have to recess the front windows back one brick to match the real building along with lots of little tweaks but I'm quite happy with the results so far. It worked about to be about 48 bricks high.

stage01.jpg

stage02.jpg

Ah man....I was going to build the ghost buster building as my next Bricklink/PAB idea. Damn you beat me to it. I will still have to do it, but I have a reference point now.

wetwired

Just in time for another update calm killer :)

Did a bit more tonight. Some more down the side to give you an idea of the depth the building will be, that's as far as I can go with actual constructions of the basic forms though until I get more pieces. I inset the windows at the front, redid the detailing between the windows, added some extra details I missed the first time around.

While I wait for parts I will do all the other details, air conditioners out the side windows, greeble\support details and of course the garage door and signage. I took a picture next to the town hall to give you an idea of size too.

stage03.jpg

stage03size.jpg

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
Just in time for another update calm killer :)

Did a bit more tonight. Some more down the side to give you an idea of the depth the building will be, that's as far as I can go with actual constructions of the basic forms though until I get more pieces. I inset the windows at the front, redid the detailing between the windows, added some extra details I missed the first time around.

While I wait for parts I will do all the other details, air conditioners out the side windows, greeble\support details and of course the garage door and signage. I took a picture next to the town hall to give you an idea of size too.

stage03.jpg

stage03size.jpg

Looks great. Are you going to do a complete floor on the inside? Green baseplate might through it off a bit. Can't wait to see more updates!

wetwired

No just the exterior. The final version will have a tiled footpath and will be built so the sidewalk part overlaps onto the side of a road baseplate so you won't see the green eventually.

That reminds me. Is it odd for a LEGO store to not have the minifig bags? Or do they just hide them? I scoured that place for a while and just didn't find any. The place was pretty packed and I was already purchasing the Sopwith so I didn't bother asking as I didn't really need them, but I thought it was odd I couldn't find them.

I've only been to one in my lifetime, but still, it is only logical that they all of ALL places would have them! Maybe they were briefly out of stock though?

You would think. Only things I could find were the creat your own minifig area and the minifig keychains. The only small stuff besides those the star wars globe sets and some little chima things.

I would have asked, but I was trying to stop myself from spending more money. :lol

That sounds pretty sparse for an official Lego store, you sure it was one? ;P

Seriously, mine was PACKED chock full with just about every set that is out currently across all themes and even some older ones... had a PAB wall, create a minifig area, tons of MOCs on display and Minifig series 9,8 and 7, even had some of 5 left there...

That sounds pretty sparse for an official Lego store, you sure it was one? ;P

Seriously, mine was PACKED chock full with just about every set that is out currently across all themes and even some older ones... had a PAB wall, create a minifig area, tons of MOCs on display and Minifig series 9,8 and 7, even had some of 5 left there...

Oh no they had tons of sets, I was more meaning the small stuff. They were definitely chalk full of just about everything. I was just meaning I couldn't find the minifig bags and only found those few smallish things in the store while looking for the minifigs. Sorry for the confusion. :lol

Besides the create a minifig area and the minifig keychains it didn't seem like they had any other minifigs in the whole place. I even found a display with a ton of minifigs all on a base plate, so I figured they'd be around there, but nope.

The reason I was looking for them so intently was because I was debating on what set to buy. They had only one VW Van left, but I had been wanting the Sopwith and the Quinjet set, so I decided to look around for those while I carred the VW with me just in case. :lol

Calm Killer

It is time... starting my day trip to the LEGO store in MA in about an hour or so. SOOOOO excited that I could barely sleep.

/Jealous

Wish I had a LEGO store closer to me. 3 hours is way to far. Probably a good thing though. I would be in bad finical shape if I did. PAB wall would be empty....just like my wallet.

/Jealous

Wish I had a LEGO store closer to me. 3 hours is way to far. Probably a good thing though. I would be in bad finical shape if I did. PAB wall would be empty....just like my wallet.

Hour and a half (one way) for me. Gotta figure out how to hide just how much I get from my wife...

Beautiful. But doesn't the shuttle give you reflections off the screen when you're watching something?
Hmmm, maybe I'm not getting the question, but I use a projector onto a screen so the shuttle doesn't get in the way at all.

My bigger concern was that it might vibrate around a little during movies but it seems pretty solid so far.

Hmmm, maybe I'm not getting the question, but I use a projector onto a screen so the shuttle doesn't get in the way at all.

My bigger concern was that it might vibrate around a little during movies but it seems pretty solid so far.

My Death Star is on top of my subwoofer and seems to survive. However, it is much more stable than the Imperial Shuttle is on its stand. But sometimes I do hear a rattle of the turbolaster when the bass gets really low.

Maybe it is the turbolaser firing up...

mrklaw

MrArseFace

just mean that light reflecting back off your screen would hit the shuttle and be distracting.

Anyway, thats a *really* nice room

Calm Killer

Hour and a half (one way) for me. Gotta figure out how to hide just how much I get from my wife...

You can hide it in the car until she goes to bed? Then sneak into the house afterwards. I would order PAB off S@H and go home for lunch and get the orders out of the mailbox. Wife never knew I was adding to my collection pieces at a time. A little harder to do with full sets though.

You can hide it in the car until she goes to bed? Then sneak into the house afterwards. I would order PAB off S@H and go home for lunch and get the orders out of the mailbox. Wife never knew I was adding to my collection pieces at a time. A little harder to do with full sets though.

this all sounds so wrong on so many levels :p

I went to the local toy shop and they were restocking. I saw the Creator eagle, loads of Chima and Friends, and some new Star Wars stuff marked as 2013 on Bricklink. I remembered that the 75000 set held a headpiece I needed (that isn't on Bricklink yet as it's so new), but I was choosing between that and 75001 which has more generic heads (and minifigs instead of useless droids). I decided on 75000... and somehow still came home with 75001.

I think I'll go back and replace it, unless they also have the Coruscant planet set, as that has the same head and is probably cheaper. Four generic skin colored heads can always be useful.

Also got a Ninjago booster for the rare scythe piece, only to find that it was HUGE! Gonna have to cut it down some to be usable.

And finally got my first big shipment of Bricklink pieces for my figs. Lots of Lego today.

ghostmind

A couple of upcoming books from DK Publishing:

7hTeY.jpg

e8M0t.jpg

EDIT: added this one, which we knew about, but we now have confirmation on the Toy Soldier minifig being included:

8TrdO.jpg

R-User!

I was really bad. Two big PAB cups(horses!), a complete set of series 9, Horizon Express, mini modulars, and ordered VW van.

16 minifigs or a box?
ordered with free shipping?
were horses in the wall or in the back room?
congrats on your experience; i forget, was it your first time at a lego store?

sorry, typing on the Gamepad....

ghostmind

I was really bad. Two big PAB cups(horses!), a complete set of series 9, Horizon Express, mini modulars, and ordered VW van.

Nice! I'm heading to the LEGO store this week with my son to pick up the rest of S9 and fill my December PAB boxes. He'll probably make some minifigs at the building station, as that is his favorite thing to do there.

So for the S9 figs, did you bag feel or did they help you out?

Top Bottom