• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO GAF |OT2|: Building Dreams. Demolishing Wallets

lingiii

Banned
I was really bad. Two big PAB cups(horses!), a complete set of series 9, Horizon Express, mini modulars, and ordered VW van.

"a complete set of series 9". how! I have like 4 of the dumb Cyclopses by just picking up a couple at a time (got my chicken though). I'm so bad at bad-feeling, is there anything printed on these?

You were going to an MA store right? Which MA store? What was the pick a brick wall like?
Natick. PAB was good. They had door frames, doors, clear doors, horses, ferns, and some decorative bricks. No 1x6 or more things and no snot pieces though. Lots of colors for 1x2 and 1x1 and many 4x4 plates. Just leaving mall now for the drive home.

Also, the staff rocked. I was the only person there and they all felt up the figures while I packed PAB cups.

Ironmask

^ looking forward to see what minifigures come with it

....and an exclusive toy soldier minifigures

and here is the minifig itself

LEGO-Minifigures-Series-10-Toy-Soldier-e1355189144463.jpg

Yeah i'm evil at ruining surprises for everyone :)

You would think. Only things I could find were the creat your own minifig area and the minifig keychains. The only small stuff besides those the star wars globe sets and some little chima things.

I would have asked, but I was trying to stop myself from spending more money. :lol

Last time I was at a store they had sold out of all minifigs so maybe that's it.

I try to limit myself to one store visit a month and with AFOL day coming up in Feb was trying even harder but I'm in the market for an ipad mini, the thing is I have to use these Bonus Bonds I got from work and the only place I can get an ipad with these is John Lewis.

Anyway, looks like I'm hitting Westfield early on Saturday and should probably head to the LEGO store at the same time. Seeing as it's there, you know

Natick. PAB was good. They had door frames, doors, clear doors, horses, ferns, and some decorative bricks. No 1x6 or more things and no snot pieces though. Lots of colors for 1x2 and 1x1 and many 4x4 plates. Just leaving mall now for the drive home.

Also, the staff rocked. I was the only person there and they all felt up the figures while I packed PAB cups.

shit, I hope the ones I can actually get to on public transit have ferns. I'm a sucker for vegetation..... I suppose it's almost time to make a trip.

I'm so jealous of you guys that live so close to LEGO Stores. I'm like an hour and a half from the closest one too, Phonciple.

That Ghostbusters MOC is glorious, wetwired. I still want to get one of those Tumblers of yours...

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.

I can feel the hatred inside me growing. The Dark side is strong...... /sigh. I want amazing PAB selections....

TheGrue

I'm so jealous of you guys that live so close to LEGO Stores. I'm like an hour and a half from the closest one too, Phonciple.

That Ghostbusters MOC is glorious, wetwired. I still want to get one of those Tumblers of yours...

I've got one about 15 minutes down the road from. ;)

I just got back into Legos, though, so haven't gone in since. I am scared of what I might do when I go through those doors.

ghostmind

and here is the minifig itself

LEGO-Minifigures-Series-10-Toy-Soldier-e1355189144463.jpg

Yeah i'm evil at ruining surprises for everyone :)

No worries - we knew what he looked like from a month or so ago when the S10 & S11 lists were leaked.

However, we are getting 3 minifigs with that larger book, and I have no idea what those might be... maybe some rare classics?

smuzk.jpg

My new build and display area. Five foot long shelves on either side of the table will provide for lots of display space, and a full run of modular buildings on top of one unit.

Just need a more comfortable chair... stole that one from the dining room.
"The Blair Brick Project"

My Unexpected Gathering set is out for delivery today! I can't wait to put that one together. It seems like a nice mid-sized set to hold me over until my next big one.

Naka

Went to the LEGO store at lunch and this is my haul:

d2b858765e9511e2a74422000a1ddb8e_7.jpg

The minifigs should be the Battle Mech, Chicken Suit and Cyclops.

Went to the LEGO store at lunch and this is my haul:

d2b858765e9511e2a74422000a1ddb8e_7.jpg

The minifigs should be the Battle Mech, Chicken Suit and Cyclops.

nice! Built the A-Wing myself the other day and it's pretty neat... the Cyclops rocks as well :) probably my favorite of series 9 along with the cop so far hmmm

On the way home I decided to drop by UCONN and surprise my wife with a late lunch out. Finally got home, but decided to open up the series 9 figures before doing chores.

Those guys at the Natick LEGO store are geniuses. They got me all 16 series 9 figures with no repeats. The entire time I spent at the PAB wall trying to pack stuff in they felt up the bags and got me the entire run. That is amazing.

As for the PAB, I will post my haul from that later. But for those near Natick, here were some PAB highlights:
door frames, glass doors, solid white doors, 1x2x2 clear window pieces, 1x2 clear bricks, yellow jumper plates, dark grey wheel covers(like Town Hall uses for tops of windows), white horses, 1x2 brown decorative (inner sloped pieces. You might know what I mean), 1x2 white grooved decorative pieces, 1x1 clear green round bricks, clear round studs, green ferns, both haves to the clicking hinge pieces. They also had a ton of colors for 1x2 (including quite a bit of orange action), and lots of 2x4 bricks in many colors. I wanted to stay there for hours and pack cups full of stuff, but stopped at 2.

After sorting out my haul, I shall post pics. GREAT DAY.

EDIT: trying to upload haul to IMGUR, but it is crawling. POS.

Is it safe to assume there will be new sets for Avengers 2? I'd love to get the Avenger minifigs but honestly, there is no set out right now that calls out to me, even the highly praised Quinjet set somehow doesn't appeal to me... so i 'd rather wait for newer sets including these figs.

On the way home I decided to drop by UCONN and surprise my wife with a late lunch out. Finally got home, but decided to open up the series 9 figures before doing chores.

Those guys at the Natick LEGO store are geniuses. They got me all 16 series 9 figures with no repeats. The entire time I spent at the PAB wall trying to pack stuff in they felt up the bags and got me the entire run. That is amazing.

As for the PAB, I will post my haul from that later. But for those near Natick, here were some PAB highlights:
door frames, glass doors, solid white doors, 1x2x2 clear window pieces, 1x2 clear bricks, yellow jumper plates, dark grey wheel covers(like Town Hall uses for tops of windows), white horses, 1x2 brown decorative (inner sloped pieces. You might know what I mean), 1x2 white grooved decorative pieces, 1x1 clear green round bricks, clear round studs, green ferns, both haves to the clicking hinge pieces. They also had a ton of colors for 1x2 (including quite a bit of orange action), and lots of 2x4 bricks in many colors. I wanted to stay there for hours and pack cups full of stuff, but stopped at 2.

After sorting out my haul, I shall post pics. GREAT DAY.

EDIT: trying to upload haul to IMGUR, but it is crawling. POS.

minus.com has been more reliable for me of late.

I thought I'd like the roller derby chick the least, but as soon as I opened my minifigs a fight broke out and she tore the space orc limb from limb. She's been on my desk wearing his armor and holding his head astride his corpse for days now. I don't quite know how it happened. It was seriously some childhood-style channelling of the forces of playtime.

Me too! Just took some shots of my Star Fighter MOC and IMGUR is sooo slow!

Glad you enjoyed your first PAB and looking forward to see the contents.

Did PAB last summer when I went to the Disney Orlando location. Both times I went they had ferns. Glad I can keep stocking up on them.

And talking to the LEGO employee, they said of the series 9 figures the Plumber is the one that is the rarest. He is the figure that is short packed in the cartons.

Also, it took every fiber of my being not to buy the B-Wing today. They had it built and on display and I was drooling. So much bigger and more awesome than I believed it would be.

And before I forget, another big thank you to ChaChaChaChia for the coupon. It saved me $13 off Horizon Express, which essentially paid for gas today.

And IMGUR seems to have made up its mind to work. Pics of haul (pre sorting PAB cup):

Not seen: how I packed ten horses into the cup and still had room to cram doors and beams into it.

Not pictured: the free Chima Arc Fighter. And according to the email receipt, I will be getting another of those in the box when the VW Camper shows up.

So here's some images of my Star Fighter MOC.

Some backstory: this was the first draft just building with what I had and before bricklinking more.

This is what I know have, 80 studs long, 30 studs wide, 20 studs tall:

Still a little rough as I need to get some more light bluish & grey bricks. MIght yet take out the dark red/could add more....

The wing along the south side is about as final as it will get shape wise. Need to get more bricks to do the top most wing in the same shape.

Front view, left wings complete:

Nose:

Underside of the nose:

"R2, is that you?"

Cockpit:

Open Cockpit:

Open Cockpit alternate (visible storage/engine section to be completed):

Open rear storage section to be finished:

Rear view (wings open), left side not finished, will match right side:

What are you doing there R2?

Oh, I see:

Open wings:

I'm still deciding on details and armaments. The stand is just a modified Imperial Shuttle stand but I will do something better so long as it can take the weight. I have no idea how many parts but it's a good couple of kilos at least.

And talking to the LEGO employee, they said of the series 9 figures the Plumber is the one that is the rarest. He is the figure that is short packed in the cartons.

Damn, it's the plumber I'm looking for. My dad was a hippy and I got him that fig. He's been known as Rabbit so I got him that one. He installs boilers so I need to get him the plumber too.

B-Wing is awesome in person. I want anther couple!

I would love to see your PAB contents in a bowl but understand if you want to sort them. Mmmmm PAB.......

Damn, it's the plumber I'm looking for. My dad was a hippy and I got him that fig. He's been known as Rabbit so I got him that one. He installs boilers so I need to get him the plumber too.

B-Wing is awesome in person. I want anther couple!

I would love to see your PAB contents in a bowl but understand if you want to sort them. Mmmmm PAB.......

Posted pics of the cups. Sorting now. Just finishing off cup 1.

Phoneciple, isn't that knight minifigure awesome?

Knight does indeed kick ass. It is all about the helmet. Thankfully, I got some horses for him today as well.

And I look forward to adding series 9 to this crowd:

No Star Wars figures in there either. And many others not on the plates. Need to count how many figures I have now.

PAB contents. Cup 1:

Clear 1x2x2 windows- 32
Brown 1x2 decorative- 51
White 1x2 decorative groove- 68
White 1x2 inverted slope- 30
Clear door- 8
White door- 8
Door frame- 16
Black 1x3 slope- 22
Green ferns- 66
Grey grip pieces- 70
Clear stud- 180
551 total
$.026 per brick

Cup 2
Clear 1x2- 73
Grey 1x4- 26
Door frame- 4
Clear door- 2
White door- 2
White horses- 12
Yellow jumper- 68
187 total
$.077 per brick

Total: 738 pieces, $.039 per brick.
I reused old cups, so I got each cup for $14.49.

How I packed so many horses into a cup:

Attach two with a 1x4 beam through them. Tuck the heads down.

Then hook them together. I didn't fill the gaps between the legs with smaller bricks. Had spend an hour at the wall and needed to pack it up and go. Could have crammed more, but I got a lot of bang for the buck.

Sorting is done...time to build! Think I will dig into Horizon Express first.

This will be a day long remembered. We saw the end of Kenobi, and shall soon see the end of the Rebellion.
Haha! I just recently bought a t-shirt from Disneyland that shows Vader and a Stormtrooper riding on a carousel and it says "This will be a day long remembered." Couldn't resist.

I was really bad. Two big PAB cups(horses!), a complete set of series 9, Horizon Express, mini modulars, and ordered VW van.
One of our visits to the LEGO store resulted in a large PAB cup stuffed with about 8 horses by my daughter. She sure does love horses. That's amazing how you stuffed 10 into the cup. Impressive... Most impressive...

Geez, I didn't realize there were so many stores in MA. I'm in Portland, ME, my wife is now looking up co-located Anthropologie stores for a little weekend jaunt :p.

Haha! I just recently bought a t-shirt from Disneyland that shows Vader and a Stormtrooper riding on a carousel and it says "This will be a day long remembered." Couldn't resist.

One of our visits to the LEGO store resulted in a large PAB cup stuffed with about 8 horses by my daughter. She sure does love horses. That's amazing how you stuffed 10 into the cup. Impressive... Most impressive...
Correction, it was 12 horses. :) see the cup breakdown above.

Anyways, on step 18 of Horizon Express. Dem arrows. So simple in execution, yet so gorgeous.

Dammit, just ordered this for $70. I SAID I'D STOP! WHY HAVENT I STOPPED?!
sdcc-lego-the-hobbit-set-revealed.jpg

Also, I'm probably going to need Lego Gaf advice/help. I'm building my very own Lego set (w/ box and professional photo's) based on the book Phantom Tolbooth, for a class. I'm going to build most of it practically, but also incorporating CG elements (to do the custom minifigures ect). I'm wondering if there is anything I should know before attempting this... I'll have more questions throughout though.

LazyLoki

Dammit, just ordered this for $70. I SAID I'D STOP! WHY HAVENT I STOPPED?!
sdcc-lego-the-hobbit-set-revealed.jpg

Also, I'm probably going to need Lego Gaf advice/help. I'm building my very own Lego set (w/ box and professional photo's) based on the book Phantom Tolbooth, for a class. I'm going to build most of it practically, but also incorporating CG elements (to do the custom minifigures ect). I'm wondering if there is anything I should know before attempting this... I'll have more questions throughout though.

GREAT set. Nice displayability and the best of the Hobbit sets mini-fig wise.

GREAT set. Nice displayability and the best of the Hobbit sets mini-fig wise.

My fiance got this for Christmas. She stuck an electric candle inside the interior so the windows light up and flicker at night - it's gorgeous.

Picked up the Daily Bugle Showdown for $50 this weekend - mainly for the Doom and JJJ minifig.

8077053818_cafdfbf0cc.jpg

Avixph

So here's some images of my Star Fighter MOC.

Some backstory: this was the first draft just building with what I had and before bricklinking more.

This is what I know have, 80 studs long, 30 studs wide, 20 studs tall:

Still a little rough as I need to get some more light bluish & grey bricks. MIght yet take out the dark red/could add more....

The wing along the south side is about as final as it will get shape wise. Need to get more bricks to do the top most wing in the same shape.

Front view, left wings complete:

Nose:

Underside of the nose:

"R2, is that you?"

Cockpit:

Open Cockpit:

Open Cockpit alternate (visible storage/engine section to be completed):

Open rear storage section to be finished:

Rear view (wings open), left side not finished, will match right side:

What are you doing there R2?

Oh, I see:

Open wings:

I'm still deciding on details and armaments. The stand is just a modified Imperial Shuttle stand but I will do something better so long as it can take the weight. I have no idea how many parts but it's a good couple of kilos at least.

This is going great so far aesthetics wise, but why is there only one pilot? You should turn the back storage into a navigators room or prison area.

LazyLoki

Ok cool... you make me feel a little better about getting it. Haha, thanks! Can't wait.

Even my GF grudgingly acknowledges its beauty ;)
A few days ago I was at the local LEGO shop and, together with an employee, tried to figure out the cheapest way to get all 13 dwarves.
Two conclusions were reached:
1. You need ALL the current sets :(
2. An Unexpected Gathering is by a wide margin the best deal of the bunch :)

R-User!

Even my GF grudgingly acknowledges its beauty ;)
A few days ago I was at the local LEGO shop and, together with an employee, tried to figure out the cheapest way to get all 13 dwarves.
Two conclusions were reached:
1. You need ALL the current sets :(
2. An Unexpected Gathering is by a wide margin the best deal of the bunch :)

Those are two true conclusions!

So it looks like some people have had problems with the Bag End set?

It turns out for the circular window, some people received the brick on the left causing the window to rattle around a bit. Speculation is that the brick on the right is the one that should have been included.

HK9b7.jpg

Top Bottom